AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-03, 12:52   Link #301
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
i rather think the critics here have chosen the wrong series (thread) to go against Young's plot qualities. When it comes to Freezing for example i kinda agree, there i mostly leave the boring cliched plot and horrible female characters (with a thousand psychoses that only beat each other to a pulp as if on gallons of testosterone) alone and only enjoy the artwork. UxU on the other hand has great plot that managed to suprise me more than once and has 2 great main leads and side characters that shine with credibility.
Well I guess I am surprised. I honestly didn't expect people to like the plot, but I guess logic & common sense is overrated. Also didn't expect the people to like the main leads. Sure he is direct, but he's pretty much a bastard(and no It's not just him hitting a girl). Don't get me started on the teacher. >_> UxU isn't really an exception in the horrible female character department. Everyone is way to overemotional. No one cares about the people around them. Love isn't the end of the world. >_>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Let me join the minority then. I'd say it's got an _excellent_ flow. In fact, for a while, UxU was my most-sought-after manga for which I feverishly awaited raws.
If by flow you mean angst based on situations that have no way of happening for real sure.

That said of course I know opinion differ, just surprised people like this type of series that much. This series is probably a lot more popular(on this forum) than let's say Ashita no Ousama which is better in every department(except art). Though I guess this series is pretty good at creating angst & drama. Still I find it hard to call something good based on that. I find there's nothing wrong with liking the series, but liking it for the story just seems odd for me.

Last edited by 2H-Dragon; 2009-12-03 at 13:11.
Old 2009-12-03, 13:13   Link #302
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Well I guess I am surprised. I honestly didn't expect people to like the plot, but I guess logic & common sense is overrated. Also didn't expect the people to like the main leads. Sure he is direct, but he's pretty much a bastard(and no It's not just him hitting a girl). Don't get me started on the teacher. >_> UxU isn't really an exception in the horrible female character department. Everyone is way to overemotional. No one cares about the people around them. Love isn't the end of the world. >_>

If by flow you mean angst based on situations that have no way of happening for real sure.

That said of course I know opinion differ, just surprised people like this type of series that much. This series is probably a lot more popular(on this forum) than let's say Ashita no Ousama which is better in every department(except art). Though I guess this series is pretty good at creating angst & drama. Still I find it hard to call something good based on that.
Obviously all this is pretty much a matter of taste but not debate, there's no better or worse when it comes to fiction either - Ashita no Ousama is not necessarily better, you just perveive it as that.
Old 2009-12-03, 13:19   Link #303
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Let me join the minority then. I'd say it's got an _excellent_ flow. In fact, for a while, UxU was my most-sought-after manga for which I feverishly awaited raws.
Mentar! Where have you been!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Other than that, I love his works, his storytelling, originality and he definitely has one of the best artists I've seen. I'm always looking forward to read his new works and I don't mind re-reading his older works a couple of times.
UxU has a high re-read value in my mind. I already read it twice and once its finished will probably read it again.

Quote:
You'll have to expand your statements there. Last I checked, a bastard wouldn't back a woman up like he did. As for the teacher, the whole point is that she is on confusion because of the guy.

Quote:
No way of happening for real? I don't know, a lot of this is pretty realistic to me minus a few occasions that I chock up to ex machina.

So far everything you said is opinionated, back it up a little.

Quote:
That said of course I know opinion differ, just surprised people like this type of series that much. This series is probably a lot more popular(on this forum) than let's say Ashita no Ousama which is better in every department(except art). Though I guess this series is pretty good at creating angst & drama. Still I find it hard to call something good based on that. I find there's nothing wrong with liking the series, but liking it for the story just seems odd for me.
I'll have to check that series out I guess.
Old 2009-12-03, 13:59   Link #304
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
You'll have to expand your statements there. Last I checked, a bastard wouldn't back a woman up like he did. As for the teacher, the whole point is that she is on confusion because of the guy.

No way of happening for real? I don't know, a lot of this is pretty realistic to me minus a few occasions that I chock up to ex machina.

So far everything you said is opinionated, back it up a little.

I'll have to check that series out I guess.
Well the guy steals, hits a woman, thinks violence is the answer, badmouths people behind their back, has no problem using his friends, doesn't trust his friends and find it well in his right to lecture people while he is wrong most of the time(I don't think I have to mention anything specific since you read the series, it's probably harder to find a situation where he has a point).

There's nothing wrong with being confused, but do you have to react so dramatically.

So running to the womens bathroom and that happens to be unlocked is realistic. A teacher getting her student drunk. The majority of the people seem to like to blackmail you. Saying that every girl falls for him, just seem pushing it for a harem manga. :P Oh of course the ground collapsing, but just taking the 2 leads. There's probably a lot more, but can't remember.

You should check Ashita no Ousama out, just don't expect boobtifull art and too much drama.
Old 2009-12-03, 14:52   Link #305
Arturro

Quote:
Well the guy steals,
His action wasn't nice, but on the other hand he returned most of the money and her documents, IMHO she has overreacted.
Quote:
hits a woman
that bitch was sexually abusing and bullying his friend, she deserved to be punched. I would act exactly as he acted.
Quote:
thinks violence is the answer,
In real life violence sometimes is the right answer. In most cases he used violence when it was reasonable
Quote:
badmouths people behind their back,
I don't remember whet that happened, but I've read Ux2 long time ago. I assume you never had badmouthed anyone?
Quote:
has no problem using his friends,
He did it once, not because he wanted to harm anyone (he did), but because of his stupidity. He was punished and he deserved it.
Quote:
doesn't trust his friends
I don't remember that part, but do you trust your friends unconditionally?
Quote:
and find it well in his right to lecture people while he is wrong most of the time(I don't think I have to mention anything specific since you read the series, it's probably harder to find a situation where he has a point).
He is acting as most of the people are in real life, including this topic. As I understand you dislike male protagonist, because he is not a hero in shinning armor, or a chaste hero like most of harem manga protagonist. Flaws of his character fits more a bad character in a standard romance manga. It's a reason why I like him - he is a realistic character, there is a good reason why so many girls are after him, while in most romance mangas male protagonist are unrealistic.

Quote:
So running to the womens bathroom and that happens to be unlocked is realistic.
Happened to me.
Quote:
A teacher getting her student drunk.
Almost happened to me, I barely avoided it in my high school, happened a few times during my university years.
Quote:
The majority of the people seem to like to blackmail you.
You're a lucky man if no one ever tried to blackmail you. Again, happened to me, many times, in most cases I've defended myself by using violence or counter blackmail.
Quote:
Saying that every girl falls for him, just seem pushing it for a harem manga. :P
As I said earlier most girls prefers bad guys over good guys. Especially if that bad guy is good looking and rich.
Quote:
Oh of course the ground collapsing, but just taking the 2 leads. There's probably a lot more, but can't remember.

You should check Ashita no Ousama out, just don't expect boobtifull art and too much drama.
I tried to read it, got bored after 2 chapters.

Old 2009-12-03, 15:01   Link #306
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I look it up and I found that Ashita no Ousama is a josei! You're comparing a shounen/seinen manga with a josei!?
Old 2009-12-03, 15:07   Link #307
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I look it up and I found that Ashita no Ousama is a josei! You're comparing a shounen/seinen manga with a josei!?
I was going for comparing a good romance story to a bad romance story. Honestly you shouldn't limit yourself to the target audience. Go for Living game, Emma, Genshiken, if you need the shounen/seinen tag.

@Arturro: Can't really reply it seems I've been leading a very fortunate life.

edit: Can't seem to get understanding with you guys, if you even believe the actions of the guy was justifiable. I have nothing to say.
Old 2009-12-03, 15:11   Link #308
CygnusX

I guess if you don't like it, so be it ...

Though I really love UxU, both for the story and art. There's no other romance manga I want to continue more than this one.

I really like the male main character. The bad things I hear about him are most of the time justified imho. I think his behavior is more realistic than characters in other mangas where they act all goody or like a wuss. A real person does have good and bad sides ... but I guess some people only want to read about a knight in shining armor like in shojo mangas... I really wish more characters in other mangas would act more like this one.

At the time when chapters were released regularly, after the end of every chapter, I always wanted to read more. The emotions I felt when reading this manga, I haven't gotten with any other manga. Can't really explain it, I just felt good reading this.

Even after this long silence after the last release, I'm still disappointed and following this thread and hoping very much it will continue soon.

Edit: been a long time since I read it. I'll read it again when new chapters come out. Maybe I'll notice things I didn't until now ...

Oh and the other mangas of the same author I'm reading also, but they're not nearly as good as UxU. Still I read them because they're IM Dal Young 's and hoping one of them will develop into something nice.

Last edited by CygnusX; 2009-12-03 at 15:29.
Old 2009-12-03, 15:21   Link #309
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
I was going for comparing a good romance story to a bad romance story. Honestly you shouldn't limit yourself to the target audience. Go for Living game, Emma, Genshiken, if you need the shounen/seinen tag.

@Arturro: Can't really reply it seems I've been leading a very fortunate life.

edit: Can't seem to get understanding with you guys, if you even believe the actions of the guy was justifiable. I have nothing to say.
nothing to say ...? I'm more and more convinced you were just trolling anyway... flawed and insufficent reasoning rounded up with a seeming inability to perceive opinions other than yours. It's fine if you don't like this series but that doesn't make it any worse than what you like...
Old 2009-12-03, 15:35   Link #310
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
nothing to say huh? I'm more and more convinced you were just trolling anyway...
I wasn't, as I said I thought it was common knowledge IM Dal Young wasn't strong in the story department, similar to Oh!Great(I refuse to explain why he sucks in the story department). I thought wrong. You can still really like a manga even if the story is average. You know the comedy can be good, you can like melodrama. Like K-drama(Or MGS4) most of the story is bad most of the time still it's fun to watch(to play), because it's engaging. That doesn't take away the feeling that the story is just bs most of the time. What Im Dal Young did right with UxU is making it engaging, but sure ass hell am I not going to call the story good/great.

I said; "nothing to say" as it seems people seem to have the similar morals/experiences as the protagonist. There's nothing I can say that will change his point of view, as it seems we experienced life very different from each other. So what's the point in continuing the discussion?
Old 2009-12-03, 15:36   Link #311
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

The plot quality itself isn't great, it's an overused concept, but that isn't the strength of the manwha itself. The scenes that come as a result are the strengths.

I wouldn't give a guy who tried to steal from me any time of the day though. Violence is never the answer. Fighting only leads to more fighting.
Old 2009-12-03, 16:14   Link #312
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

You know, it wasn't directly stealing. He didn't take the wallet by force or anything.
Old 2009-12-03, 18:46   Link #313
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Don't you people see he's trying to start a retard fest? It jumped from posting his opinions into posting contemptuous posts and trying to convince us to think otherwise by repeating the same statements over and over again.

I lol'ed.

Quote:
Bah, I get it now. You're probably a female reader. That explains everything and why you hate UxU. It's a seinen harem, oriented towards adult male readers, although there are many female readers who liked it, I guess your tastes are different from the majority. Besides, by the summary alone it already appealed to me since you rarely see a TeacherxStudent relationship in a seinen/shounen manga where we have seen it countless times in a shoujo/josei manga to the point it got cliched and predictable.

By the summary alone, Ashita no Ousama is already a turn off for me, and I guess for most of UxU readers. A boring worthless girl living in her own delusional world and having men fawning over her? Yeah, it wasn't a good idea recommending such a manga in this thread.

Last edited by Zwei; 2009-12-03 at 19:17.
Old 2009-12-03, 19:34   Link #314
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Don't feed the troll, man.
Everyone have different taste as I said. You can't say this one is bad story, that one is good because your taste different with others.
@Zwei: finally, you notice 2H-Dragon's taste , I know it already when I see 2H-Dragon's avatar .
Old 2009-12-03, 21:25   Link #315
Beruko08
The Shadow of Twilight
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Beruko08
This kind of argument somehow reminds me of Twilight where some fan-girls always rant about how fabulous their Edward sparkle under the sunlight which really creeps me out.
And imo, UxU is not really best-manhwa-ever but gives me some realistic characters. I'm pretty tired of seeing bishounen, sweet-talking guy type who never-dares-to-hit-a-b!tch.
Old 2009-12-05, 06:12   Link #316
Zavie

I'll go with the minority here. Other Young's works, such as Freezing, Onihime, I really enjoy reading them. Nut when it comes to UxU, I couldn't the same wavelength as most of you guys here.

I don't know, but imo, he has the aura that make people think him as a bastard, and it worked on me. I don't really get his way of thinking and acting.

I do agree with him hitting the bitches when they were bullying his friend though. (Even though if I were him, just some threatening would work).

And also. I do agree that this work is realistic compare to most others, but it think it's way too dramatic. Oh well, just my opinion anyway.

Btw, mind me, but I didnt see 2H-Dragoh trolling imo, and I don't see the point of him doing so. I did admit his minority and not bias the rest's taste.
Old 2009-12-05, 09:33   Link #317
GrimJack

I just registered to say I like both Ashita no Ousama and UxU for different reasons of course I find both to be very good stories that had me hooked soon after I began reading them

I really dislike bashing of other manga just because you don't like them or read them, people should just learn to ignore what they don't like and just realize different people have different tastes
Old 2009-12-06, 23:15   Link #318
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
i really like this manga its very good i like this manga i wish it could turn into a anime any ways i heard from few people the japanese version of unbalance x unbalance is it true???
Old 2009-12-08, 22:17   Link #319
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
just started reading this series and im hooked probably one of the better mangas ive sterted reading lately.
Old 2009-12-09, 10:00   Link #320
Xagzan

Ditto for me. Quick question, I looked up this series on wiki and it said it was ongoing. So is it just on hiatus cause it doesn't have scanlators or something? What's going on with that?
Closed Thread

Tags
manhwa, romance