Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-10, 05:43   Link #441
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td
I'm sorry if my post is a bit off track, but I'm still quite behind on this series.
no need to apologize for watching the show. all of us fans are porbably very happy that someone else has started to watch and enjoy the show

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td
This concerns episode 8, the seashore/snake haze episode. I was just wondering why Michihi was assimilated into the Mushis as they were morphing into the dragon. She was stranded in the haze, a different timeframe, but to a shorter extent, so were Ginko and Shirou. Was it simply because she was trapped for three long years that Michihi could no longer escape?
that is pretty much the way i saw it... it's been a while since i watched that ep, so i will try to look at it again this weekend and give you a better answer... i think maybe it was that maybe she didn't really want to escape

but about things being being unclear or unexplained... that's part of why a lot of people like Mushishi... it's like life... you meet lots of different people on your journey, some affect you, others don't, different events bring you closer together or further apart, and not everything has a clear explanation

granted there are glowing creatures that only certain people can see and these creatures aren't flying and crawling around affecting our thoughts and emotions... or are there?
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 06:52   Link #442
Lost

@i0td

By assimilate, were you talking about this?

From what I understand, she wasnt assimilated. That wasnt even her in the first place; Ginko realised that that was only a different form of the same Mushishi.

In some other episodes, you'll see other Mushi that can mimic humans. In this case I think it was most probably to lure the both of them.. Remember around that scene, after Shirou met "Michihi", when Ginko asked him which way the shore was, Shirou claim he could see it BUT he pointed out to sea. Presumably because he had no more reason to return to land

since he had already found "Michihi", only, it wasnt the real Michihi. Or he could be in the "field of influence" of the Mushi. Anyway, IMO, this was a trap by the Mushi.

Then again, I may be wrong about "her not being assimilated" because what Ginko says here

Seems to make it look like she was human for the 3 days (3 years) leading up to that incident.. But I guess what we can be sure of is that at that moment when the 3 of them were on the boat, Michihi was no longer a human. (we have to trust Ginko ) So, either "she" was a form expressed by the Mushi and the real Michihi had died earlier,

or Michihi was really assimilated into the Mushi at that time - in that case then, I think that yes, it was because it was for 3 years that she was trapped, whereas Ginko and Shiro were trapped only for a month; and even then, after the Mushishi had changed form. I'm cant think of any other reason, and I doubt its because she wanted to stay in the mist, remember, she said:

So hmm.. mystery not solved. (Unless I can interprete that by what was translated as Ginko saying, "All she felt was three days of loneliness" actually meant, "All she felt would at most be three days of loneliness")
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 07:05   Link #443
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna
wao, Lost, and kujoe - just burn a few episodes and give it to your friends to view Then direct them where to download the rest of the series because they'll like it - lol
Tried that with a friend, he ditched it after the first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomm
but about things being being unclear or unexplained... that's part of why a lot of people like Mushishi... it's like life... you meet lots of different people on your journey, some affect you, others don't, different events bring you closer together or further apart, and not everything has a clear explanation
Agreed agreed! Especially in episodes 8 ending, when I was watching it, the thought "Man, Mushishi is the best definition of a life-goes-on kinda anime!" popped into my mind.

Spoiler:
The question I have about episode 8, about that girl he met on the beach and later took in. Did he adopt her as daughter or take her as wife?

@MuirWoods: Its very nice. You used shape layers, thats alot of effort, I'm impressed it took only three days! Only thing for me is her eyes, they look expressionless; maybe it'll be possible to reference another pic of her and give her some pupils?
Old 2006-08-10, 08:23   Link #444
i0td

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
@i0td

By assimilate, were you talking about this?
Yes, this was exactly the scene I was referring to in my question earlier (sorry, I probably should've stated the time of this particularly scene in the episode).
Quote:
From what I understand, she wasnt assimilated. That wasnt even her in the first place; Ginko realised that that was only a different form of the same Mushishi.

In some other episodes, you'll see other Mushi that can mimic humans. In this case I think it was most probably to lure the both of them..
Quote:
since he had already found "Michihi", only, it wasnt the real Michihi. Or he could be in the "field of influence" of the Mushi. Anyway, IMO, this was a trap by the Mushi.
This is a good point and the possibility did run through my mind once or twice after I first watched the scene, but I still have my doubts as to whether or not this was really a trap. It most definitely looked like one, but Ginko mentioned earlier that the snakes of the land and sea will swarm together to evolve into a dragon (once in a thousand years, he says it was in the myth, but this phenomenon was under three years at what I guess was a thousand days). So it just seemed like it was coincidence that Ginko was showing up at around the same time this transformation was taking place. And for some reason, I still feel convinced that the Michihi the two found stranded on the boat was genuine. If her expressions and emotions were convincing enough for Shirou (although he may have been too overwhelmed to notice any changes in subtleties), I say then that is convincing enough for me. If Michihi really did only live three days in the haze, I wouldn't expect a dead Michihi. Surely a frightened one, a weakened one, but not one who is devoid of life yet.

Not sure if you recall from episode 1, but that was when Ginko described the Mushi as being capable of taking on the human form. The Mushishi also mentioned the ceremony known as the Mushi Banquet. The trap you argue here seems to parallel that of the trap set up in this banquet. But if it really was only three days for Michhi, I see no reason for her to turn herself over to the Mushi just yet.
Quote:
Remember around that scene, after Shirou met "Michihi", when Ginko asked him which way the shore was, Shirou claim he could see it BUT he pointed out to sea. Presumably because he had no more reason to return to land
My own guess is that because Shirou finally found his lost love, he finally felt satisfied and was ready to (wanted to) return to his homeland, which is in the direction he was pointing. He was seeing home (no matter how thick the haze is, you can see the shoreline). During the flashback, when the two were separated, wasn't that the original destination?

Quote:
So hmm.. mystery not solved. (Unless I can interprete that by what was translated as Ginko saying, "All she felt was three days of loneliness" actually meant, "All she felt would at most be three days of loneliness")
Very tricky indeed. Your idea of a trap certainly makes logical sense and you can back up your argument, but I am still inclined to believe my no-sense, no-proof hypothesis that she was assimilated even though I still don't understand why exactly lol . Thanks again for taking the time to reply (and the effort to take those screencaps - they really helped). I really wanted to know how others interpreted this particular mystery and perhaps enlighten myself. I admit that this did give me something to think about. I just have to keep an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm
that is pretty much the way i saw it... it's been a while since i watched that ep, so i will try to look at it again this weekend and give you a better answer... i think maybe it was that maybe she didn't really want to escape
Thanks for the help. Looking forward to another take on this problem.
Quote:
The do-your-best-with-a-given-situation-and-continue-on-with-life theme is certainly appealing. Done really well, especially because of the episodic nature of this series.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 08:37   Link #445
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0dt
My own guess is that because Shirou finally found his lost love, he finally felt satisfied and was ready to (wanted to) return to his homeland, which is in the direction he was pointing. He was seeing home (no matter how thick the haze is, you can see the shoreline). During the flashback, when the two were separated, wasn't that the original destination?
oooo.. Very good point.. I think thats most likely the right conclusion. Anyhow, np, always glad to discuss Mushishi and find out other's viewpoint, as you said.
Old 2006-08-10, 08:38   Link #446
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
wao, Lost, and kujoe - just burn a few episodes and give it to your friends to view Then direct them where to download the rest of the series because they'll like it - lol
A few weeks ago, I told my sister to lay off the Fushigi Yuugi and the K-dramas/movies for a while, and give Mushishi (among others) a go. She liked it. She even asked me if I had more.

On the other hand, I'm pretty positive that my other friends wouldn't be into this kind of anime.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 09:15   Link #447
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Actually I dont understand why people compare Kino no Tabi and Mushishi.
Quote:
Man, Mushishi is the best definition of a life-goes-on kinda anime!
Please note the title of the last Kino no Tabi release. Nothing to say, really--just thought that that was an amazingly interesting pair of quotes.

では、
アイスル未来
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 09:47   Link #448
Cal-Reflector

It was rather difficult to keep track of the direction of the latest dialogue: Venice, how to pimp Mushishi, ongoing plot versus episodic.... Ill go with what i have experience with; pimping Mushishi.

I suppose it all depends on who youre selling Mushishi to... if its a seasoned anime viewer, i think asking them to watch the first two episodes will suffice. For those who havent seen anime, something with all around conventional appeal might work better; my friend and I thought R.O.D. OAV was a good choice for this, since it is short and filled with substance in many aspects.

For those who have a poor first impression of Mushishi... I venture to say that a fair number (not all; its never all) of these are at that point when theyre just getting into Anime (viewed less than... oh, say, 20 series?), and just about everything they see is new and refreshing. On a purely personal case, one reason why Mushishi worked so well for me was because by the time I watched Mushishi Ive already seen plenty other shows in major genres; Mushishi was in a unique genre and done in an unconventional. But for those who havent become saturated with the regular stuff yet, Mushishi may be just boring.
Old 2006-08-10, 10:51   Link #449
Lost

^ Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AisuruMirai
Please note the title of the last Kino no Tabi release. Nothing to say, really--just thought that that was an amazingly interesting pair of quotes.

では、
アイスル未来
Glad you found them so. Kino is definitely Life-Goes-On type too (tho, for most of the characters, life doesnt go on - *sob* Sakura), yet they are still so different. (which reminds me I still haven watched it, its languishing in my Kino folder.)

What are those characters in Japanese(?). I can't see the characters, I dont have the language pack.
Old 2006-08-10, 12:13   Link #450
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
What are those characters in Japanese(?). I can't see the characters, I dont have the language pack.
"De wa, aisuru mirai."
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 13:20   Link #451
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
You sure this is your first time? This is very nice! Bonus points for the big, widescreen resolution it's in. (Too big for me actually, but definitely better than too small.) I'm using it right now as my wallpaper. Thanks.
Quote:
I saw your thread yesterday I do not know anything about vectoring so I cannot critique it but - just as a viewer - very nice
Quote:
@MuirWoods: Its very nice. You used shape layers, thats alot of effort, I'm impressed it took only three days! Only thing for me is her eyes, they look expressionless; maybe it'll be possible to reference another pic of her and give her some pupils?
I appreciate your kind words. Hmm, about her eye. Personally I don't see it (but then again, I'm the creator. It's harder for me to see my own faults ), but maybe it looks expressionless because she's wondering? Her mind at a distant place contemplating on how she could travel with Ginko. Upon closer inspection, with my monitor's brightness and contrast turned way up and squinting into her eyes while zoomed in at 300%, it appears she doesn't have pupils! Her eyes just consists of a pale black iris and shiny white glare. I don't know if I should bestow Tanyuu darker black pupils when she doesn't naturally possess them. But regardless, Tanyuu is sublime...

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-08-10 at 13:31.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 19:13   Link #452
i0td

I have to continue to say wow, very impressive indeed! 26 episodes, 26 tales. The stories in this series just keep on coming. Each one unique and just as or even more brilliant than the previous, each one building upon the Mushi world by either introducing a new mysterious Mushi being or revealing more of one that we've become familiar with (concerning this point, I've especially enjoyed the return of the kouki).

I don't know why I haven't posted on this earlier, but I have to comment too that the artwork and music have been ideal for this series. So very beautifully done. The folklorish feel each element brings to the show only makes the storytelling so much more vivid (and exciting too).

Anyway, I don't really see a point for me to say much more. You all probably have heard this before and had this same feeling of excitement surging through you after enjoying each latest episode (only for me, it keeps on coming because I don't have to wait for the next release ). Because of the AS hack attack that has taken away just about all of the '05 posts though, I've only started to read the spoilers in the first few pages of this thread. Episode 11 (the Kuchinawa guardian of the mountain) and counting
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 21:12   Link #453
ginko51

Something a bit off : the first time I saw episode one (that was my first Mushishi experience..) I didn't like it that much.I admired the slower pace and the attention to detail but I thought it was boring.So everytime I try to "sell" Mushishi to someone I always tell them to see the first 3 episodes (that's when I really got hooked).

Because if I dind't give it a chance after episode one I would have the best anime ever.
ginko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 03:23   Link #454
kuromitsu

The first episode I saw of Mushishi was actually the 3rd one (the one with the kid with the horns). In retrospect, it was better to start with that than with episode 1 which was good but definitely not outstanding, imo.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 01:34   Link #455
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
"De wa, aisuru mirai."
Ooo. Ty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
but maybe it looks expressionless because she's wondering? Her mind at a distant place contemplating on how she could travel with Ginko.
Actually, I imagine seeing a little colour change (a darker almost matt blue shade); boundaries of which are pointed at by the arrows. But it could just be the light. Anyhow, what you said will work fine too.

i0td: Wait till episode 20. That takes the cake.
Old 2006-08-12, 04:52   Link #456
lommm
l'homme de lommm

MUSHISHI ART

anyone know where to/how to/if it's possible to buy Mushishi art?

i mean like still frame/animation cells blown up to painting/poster size...

i found a poster online, but it was more like the ads with Ginko looking off into the distance... not an actual bit of the animation

if not or also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get something similar to my query?

MOVIE

here is the Venice Film Fest cempetition line-up: http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/.../en/14372.html and http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/...n/14372.1.html

Mushi-shi, as they're spelling it, is up against a lot of big Hollywood stuff and the usual festival foreing films

i hope it wins something, even if not the golden lion (best film), i hope it gets something

Last edited by lommm; 2006-08-12 at 05:06.
Old 2006-08-12, 14:19   Link #457
gianna
gigi

Thank you for the news lommm

I remember seeing these two store posters Was what you saw one of these
http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?i...88e5c4szy3.jpg
(sorry for the small image - I have a slightly larger picture of the one of the right)
Have you seen either of those to buy

About purchasing Mushishi art - I do know which framed cels you speak of but I haven't seen any myself They may not even exist (yet) One place I would suggest is Mandarake's auction site They've listed Mushishi gengas, story boards, character design sheets, settings, etc there Yahoo JP auctions would also be a good place to check (you could even try cell shops)

Has anyone viewed the Mushishi dvd that came with the 06.05 issue of Afternoon
It has commentary from Nagahama and Nakano - Wonder if it's exclusive to that dvd only--

Last edited by gianna; 2006-08-12 at 14:29.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 20:14   Link #458
wao
OK.

There are unlikely to be any MUshishi cels because it wasn't animated on cels. The most you would get could be the final drawing for a particular scene, with the accompanying background. Or maybe the storyboards (!!!).

Although I've heard for some anime not produced with cels, they might paint a cel to sell. Of course, the colours will not be the same because there's less colours available in cels compared to digital colouring.
Old 2006-08-12, 23:09   Link #459
lommm
l'homme de lommm

okay then, does anyone know how i could get a super high res copy of an episode on my hd so i could work with it to print for myself?

as in, i can't very well take a still from the regular raws or the subs because the encode res is too low to print much larger than a standard monitor size.

or does anyone have suggestions on how to do this without an super high res raw?

Quote:
Thank you for the news lommm

I remember seeing these two store posters Was what you saw one of these
http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?i...88e5c4szy3.jpg
(sorry for the small image - I have a slightly larger picture of the one of the right)
Have you seen either of those to buy
yep, it was the white one on the left that i saw
Old 2006-08-16, 22:42   Link #460
Cal-Reflector

A repost, related in some ways to comparisons that come up now and then between Mushishi and one other show....

Mushishi movie 2 + Kino movie 1 = ???

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural