AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-09-24, 09:42   Link #181
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I've been reading on the history of Japan. There's nary a mention of anime, though.

I'm too busy playing DotA and being burdened with a heavy semester as well as having to watch anime to read books. Maybe come vacation time, I will.

(I GO UNSEEN. LET SCREAMS FILL THE AIR!)

Asides aside, Hirohito isn't evil or demented as some of you guys think he is. He was almost a puppet ruler solely used as the symbol of divinity, of godhood in the first half of 20th century Japan. Try as he might to do something about anything, the military was often in control and that made the government pugnacious (HAHA PUGNA) and belligerent.

Just a bit of information.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 09:47   Link #182
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Not including the prologue, I stopped at book 10; haven bought 11 because I'm waiting to see if 12 will wrap the story up; if so then I start rereading the series. But IMO, only the first 3 books were the best.
Oh, right, then there's actually 14 books in total. Forgot about the prologue.... I foung that one to be a bit... boring, actually. :P
Old 2006-09-25, 10:33   Link #183
LynRee
-

Recently finished reading Gangrel, by Gherbod Fleming. It's the third book of the Vampire: The Masquerade clan novels.
LynRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 11:59   Link #184
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity
Oh, right, then there's actually 14 books in total. Forgot about the prologue.... I foung that one to be a bit... boring, actually. :P
Actually wait, I only know of 11 books that are currently out in the main series. Add to that the prequel, thats 12. Wheres the other 2 coming from?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 08:31   Link #185
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

I just ordered the new Sony Portable Reader System PRS-500. I'll post some shots and write a small review when I receive it.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 08:58   Link #186
Zyan

Just read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy. It has been a long while since I read fantasy books and thus I read 6 of them in a row.

Wanted to moved on to sci-fi as it was even longer since I read the last sci-fi book but Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy was not available at the library. Neither is Robin Hobb's Liveship Trader Trilogy.

Settled for Steven Erikson's 10-book Malazan series. Completed Garden of the Moons yesterday and now reading Deadhouse Gates.
Zyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 20:54   Link #187
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyan
Settled for Steven Erikson's 10-book Malazan series. Completed Garden of the Moons yesterday and now reading Deadhouse Gates.
Whoa... 10 books? I saw book 2 and 3 in the library yesterday and I was interested in following it. I thought there were only 4 or 5 books in the series, from the library's online catalog. Guess it's another long series to follow... (I'm still waiting to finish Wheel of Time *cough*toolong*cough*).

The last book I finished was Lucifer Gospel by Paul Christopher. It's the first book I've read with so many glaring typos. "There" instead of "Their" for instance. Man, the author must have skimped on proofreaders.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 22:09   Link #188
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Just finished Nabokov's "Lolita" for the second time this year. Brilliant book, I loved it even more this time through. Highly recommended.

About to start Thomas Pynchon's "The Crying of Lot 49." Yay post-modernists!
Old 2006-09-28, 00:37   Link #189
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

I'm almost finished reading 'White Fang' It is very disciptive lol it actually makes me feel like I'm watching it
Old 2006-09-28, 02:55   Link #190
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
I just ordered the new Sony Portable Reader System PRS-500. I'll post some shots and write a small review when I receive it.
Please do. It seems very practical on paper (no pun intended ) but I wonder if the display will be a different experience than reading off of paper.
I can read a book for hours on end, but can't imagine staring at a computer monitor for nearly that length of time.

Oh, and to remain on subject, I tried reading Lawless World, a book about America, its foreign policies both past and present and how they relate to international law, but it was just far too dense for me to digest.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 19:00   Link #191
i0td

Just finished reading Isabel Allende's very well written Of Love and Shadows. The romance fiction portrays the Chilean crisis of the time very realistically.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 06:25   Link #192
Eichan
Explosive Magical Girl

Besides the two writing books I'm reading right now (The Copywriter's Handbook and Writing for Story, I'm sloooooowly slogging through The Sword of Shannara. It's so poorly written that I have to put it down every few minutes.
Eichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 12:14   Link #193
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

I signed in merely to give a belated response of a private message I received a week ago. I did not know the message existed until I decided to rummage through my e-mails and discovered the private message notice. I really don’t check my auxiliary e-mails as often as I should. But regardless, if anyone wants to communicate with me, please contact me directly through my e-mail. Private messages to me will henceforth be ignored. Let this account rest in peace. But since I’m signed in, I might as well post something.

Pale Fire
Nineteen Eighty-Four

I’m currently reading Pnin. More than a Humbert Humbert admirer, I have become a Nabokov fan.

Now, if you’ll excuse me.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 08:43   Link #194
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

After a five-month hiatus (I think), I've re-entered the delectable world of well-written classic literature with Kawabata's opus Beauty and Sadness. I should say it was at the least a magnificent work of art reflecting among the core concepts in Japanese consciousness, mono no oware or the sadness of things.

Other than that, I'm still a lazy arse ... but I've started reading The Problem of Knowledge in the hope that I'm going to gain more ... ^_^
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 09:04   Link #195
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyan
Just read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy. It has been a long while since I read fantasy books and thus I read 6 of them in a row.
What a coincidence. Right now I'm in the middle of reading the Liveship Traders. It took place between Farseer and Tawny Man. I just got a copy of book 3, so I'm happy. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 15:28   Link #196
killeraargh
Yuki FTW!

Send a message via MSN to killeraargh
=P

first post on AS...=P

anyways...I'm reading Catch-22...it's hilarious..xD

oh, and the sixth book of Haruhi, but...meh..
killeraargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 07:49   Link #197
i0td

Just finished the second book of Simmon's Hyperion tetralogy, The Fall of Hyperion. The new setting created in this installment, as the title suggests, has me looking forward to reading into the next chapter of this astounding history of the future.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 16:29   Link #198
AnimeFangirl

I got to the library yesterday intending to borrow some of the titles mentioned in this thread, but when I got there I drew a complete blank. :'( I should write them down next time.
Old 2006-10-11, 18:20   Link #199
mit7059

Well I was supposed to read the Homer's Oddesey, and I've got a huge test on it tomorrow, but I've only read 7 out of the 24 books, oh well it was boring and watching anime is more fun.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 20:48   Link #200
AnimeFangirl

The Odyssey IS kinda dull. Read The Iliad instead.

Tags
books