AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-10, 04:51   Link #161
Tenzen12

If they were trying to be completely faithfull, they would keep ships designs, they also wouldn't put that scene you complain about in. Establishing Frederica as strong woman equal to any man hardly hurt her characterisation. LoGH didn't aged badly, but it still wouldn't work with just better animation alone.
Old 2018-05-10, 05:18   Link #162
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
If they were trying to be completely faithfull, they would keep ships designs, they also wouldn't put that scene you complain about in. Establishing Frederica as strong woman equal to any man hardly hurt her characterisation. LoGH didn't aged badly, but it still wouldn't work with just better animation alone.
Huh? The novel has no set ship designs, and the various adaptations during the years came up with their own mech/etc. designs, even in cases when they drew inspiration from Katou Naoyuki. Also, I'm really rolling my eyes at this being an idea of a "strong woman equal to any man". I mean really, a woman can't be a strong character unless she can beat up a guy? And the only way to show that is having her being harrassed by a guy? (Tastelessness aside, just how cliché is this?) Frederica is plenty strong without having to resort to a show of physical force. It should be apparent from the importance of the position she holds and the way the story goes later on. If they want to establish her as a strong female character or whatever then give her scenes where she's even more effective at her actual job, and can hold her own in what is her actual field of expertise and strength... and doesn't show some of the other iimportant characters in a bad light.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 05:33   Link #163
Tenzen12

Of course she doesn't need to be able beat guys to be strong person, but doing so is pretty simple and effective way to show she is (also you are making it sound like Frederica never used violence in original, which is not true).

As for being "harassed", well it would be weirder if she wasn't. Rosen Ritters are tough guys, every single of them has more testosteron then all boy bends on the world combined. That someone would try flirt was obvious from moment she set her feets into camp. It wouldn't be that different in RL either.
Old 2018-05-10, 07:43   Link #164
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Finally got around watching the latest episode (I was interrupted before) and echoing others, what the hell was that Rosenritter introduction? Who thought it was necessary? Frederica doesn't need this sort of propping up, this is not her role. And it was equally showing the Rosenritter in a terrible light. They might be a rowdy bunch but they're not complete idiot meathead bros. Hell, if the writers want badass girls and rowdy fighters why not add some female Rosenritters, and be done with it, instead of doing this manufactured and pointless drama... taking up time that could have been better spent on other things.
Even without knowing them, I must admit I found them quite unbelievable. An Admiral with his assistant walks in, and the first thing they do is not even salute, ignore the Admiral, and begin sexually harassing the assistant? How have these people not been all court-martialed already ? Especially considering how they're Imperial defectors and refugees, and thus you'd expect them to be doubly careful not to get on anyone's bad side or give them good reason to doubt their loyalties... it was a very trope-y scene with little credibility.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 09:02   Link #165
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
It's such a bummer, his Kircheis was one of the few things I was genuinely looking forward to, I liked where his acting was going. I think if he had finished recording the staff would have announced it, but I think it's very likely that he's going to be replaced. Dammit. Poor guy, I hope he gets better soon. This is a pretty serious illness, and it's so unfair that he has to go on an indefinite hiatus right now when he's so busy and has so many main/lead roles. (He's in so many things I like, too!)
So many shows! Half the anime production studios and staff are probably scrambling to find a replacement for him. OK even saying half might be an exaggeration, but I doubt by much. It certainly feels like he has a role in ever other show. I rather like him as Pin in Tada Never Falls in Love, partly because he was finally getting to do something really different from his most recent roles.

Anyway to get back on topic, as someone who hasn't read the novels or watched the OVA's, I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. The scene with the Rosenritters did feel dated and cliche, but I won't be holding it against the show.
Old 2018-05-10, 09:07   Link #166
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Huh? The novel has no set ship designs, and the various adaptations during the years came up with their own mech/etc. designs, even in cases when they drew inspiration from Katou Naoyuki. Also, I'm really rolling my eyes at this being an idea of a "strong woman equal to any man". I mean really, a woman can't be a strong character unless she can beat up a guy? And the only way to show that is having her being harrassed by a guy? (Tastelessness aside, just how cliché is this?) Frederica is plenty strong without having to resort to a show of physical force. It should be apparent from the importance of the position she holds and the way the story goes later on. If they want to establish her as a strong female character or whatever then give her scenes where she's even more effective at her actual job, and can hold her own in what is her actual field of expertise and strength... and doesn't show some of the other iimportant characters in a bad light.
Yeah. Faithfulness aside, I agree that it wasn't a good moment for Frederica or the Rosenritters. Or even for the FPA navy in general, when added to the earlier scene of junior officers badmouthing a fleet commander without consequences.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 15:45   Link #167
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Even without knowing them, I must admit I found them quite unbelievable. An Admiral with his assistant walks in, and the first thing they do is not even salute, ignore the Admiral, and begin sexually harassing the assistant? How have these people not been all court-martialed already ? Especially considering how they're Imperial defectors and refugees, and thus you'd expect them to be doubly careful not to get on anyone's bad side or give them good reason to doubt their loyalties... it was a very trope-y scene with little credibility.
Yeah. I don't know the original and I also found them tasteless and stupid. You might have a rivalry with another branch, but you DO NOT pull this kind of shit in front of someone so higher in rank than you. Someone who will be deciding into which meat grinder he will throw you. This is not a fight you can win. And it reflects bad on the unit AND on the commanding officer that he seemingly can't restrain his troops even with him present there.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 17:13   Link #168
RDNexus

While I did say before that I had no problem with that moment of the episode, now that you guys talked about the military hierarchy and stuff, I can see that the moment was handled poorly due to those reasons
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 23:51   Link #169
Tenzen12

Ok, I guess it really could be pretty big issue. So I admit my mistake too.
Old 2018-05-11, 08:30   Link #170
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
The Rosenritter only respect strength. They show it to commanders who deserve it. They were testing Yang. They already knew who he was. As soon as Frederica surprised them they quit their play. Had Yang come in like some commander yelling at them and calling them disgraces and how they should be grateful they would have had their answer as to what kind of man Yang is. Instead he stood there and reasoned with them without raising his voice. Notice, they all showed the proper respect after the initial impression.
Old 2018-05-11, 08:39   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
The Rosenritter only respect strength. They show it to commanders who deserve it. They were testing Yang. They already knew who he was. As soon as Frederica surprised them they quit their play. Had Yang come in like some commander yelling at them and calling them disgraces and how they should be grateful they would have had their answer as to what kind of man Yang is. Instead he stood there and reasoned with them without raising his voice. Notice, they all showed the proper respect after the initial impression.
It's called being insubordinate. Assaulting a superior officer the way that goon did? It's a court martial worthy offense. Again, that does not speak well for the FPA military in general and the Rosenritters in particular that they're so undisciplined.

It might make sense in a Conan the Barbarian type setting for officers to need to prove their mettle in such a way, but not in what is ostensibly a modern army.
Old 2018-05-11, 09:28   Link #172
Tenzen12

Well, you would need rather tigh criteria to call it "assault" though as none of knight used violence. You would have much better case with sexuall harasshment.
Old 2018-05-11, 09:51   Link #173
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, you would need rather tigh criteria to call it "assault" though as none of knight used violence. You would have much better case with sexuall harasshment.
Yeah, though really, he laid a hand on her without permission, and that alone would have been quite enough. Mostly, I think it's also weird because we never got the impression that Yang is intrinsically looked down or considered a weakling unworthy of his position. He's fresh of an amazing last-moment rescue which prevented the complete destruction of an entire fleet. Eight years ago, he was called the hero of El Facil for his fundamental contribution in evacuating the planet. He doesn't have the reputation of someone you should just go and fuck with - if anything, I'd imagine people be underwhelmed after meeting him and seeing how meek and peaceful he is after building him up in their minds as some kind of indomitable warrior .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-11, 12:15   Link #174
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

From what I heard from novel readers, the introduction of Rosen Ritter in the OVA and 2018 remake are both anime original, while the novel just goes straight to the conversation between Yang and Schonkopf. So yeah, the remake handled this badly. Even I think that scene was kinda unnecessary, and Yang having zero reaction to his subordinate being harassed is kinda weird too.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-11, 18:39   Link #175
John117xCortana

Anyone get the feeling that Aya Endo playing the love interest of the main protagonist in this story is a reference to Macross Frontier? Especially when this year is the 10th anniversary of Macross Frontier?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 02:37   Link #176
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Anyone get the feeling that Aya Endo playing the love interest of the main protagonist in this story is a reference to Macross Frontier? Especially when this year is the 10th anniversary of Macross Frontier?
In that case, Yuuichi Nakamura would have been the one voicing Wen Li. If they wanted to play up that dynamics down to seiyuu level, I think they should have cast Maaya Sakamoto as Frederica, since her and Suzumura are married irl.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 11:16   Link #177
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
No, since she's a pretty active seiyuu. And Yang isn't the main protagonist, though I understand why you'd think that.
Old 2018-05-12, 12:17   Link #178
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's called being insubordinate. Assaulting a superior officer the way that goon did? It's a court martial worthy offense. Again, that does not speak well for the FPA military in general and the Rosenritters in particular that they're so undisciplined.

It might make sense in a Conan the Barbarian type setting for officers to need to prove their mettle in such a way, but not in what is ostensibly a modern army.
Insubordinate as it may have been, they wanted to see Yang's reaction. They are generally treated poorly and with suspicion by the general command structure in the FPA. Plus you can't use our standards of conduct in the military today as a comparison since writers tend to ignore consequences for the sake of writing. Federica made them knock it off pretty quickly. Her actions and Yang's calm reaction earned their trust.

Last edited by Heibi; 2018-05-13 at 00:34.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 13:37   Link #179
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Insubordinate as it may have been, they wanted to see Yang's reaction. They are generally treated poorly and with suspicion by the general command structure in the FPA. Plus you can't use our standards of conduct in the military today as a comparison since writers tend to ignore consequences for the sake of writing. Jessica made them knock it off pretty quickly. Her actions and Yang's calm reaction earned their trust.
"The sake of writing" is meaningless. The point is, that scene didn't make them look badass, it didn't make them look downtrodden, it didn't make Yang cool and collected. It made them look like unreliable thugs with no place in a military and Yang like a helpless weakling. Jessica came out looking like an action girl, which could have been ok, if incredibly cliché... but too bad, because that's not what she is.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2018-05-12 at 15:40.
Old 2018-05-12, 14:09   Link #180
drawr

Wouldn't argue it's not insubordination but the locker room scene didn't seem that unrealistic to me, at least in regards to their reaction to a beautiful woman appearing. It's common in military up to modern times and other organizations for that kind of harassment to happen to women(hell, guys too) regardless of rank.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote