AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-12-18, 12:09   Link #1
Lnzy1

Your ideas for manga!

I would love to get a change to draw manga and yesterday an idea popped into my head that would make a great manga!

Here's the synopse:

Miyuki Hundo is 16, smart, is scared of the dark, favortie food is Inari, and is terrible at Math....oh! And did we forget to mention she's dead? After a heartbreaking arguement with her mother on the way home from a family get together, their car wreckes and the next thing she knows, Miyuki is floating above her body in a hospital mourge. How could things get any worse! Well...here is how: Enter Touda. A tall dark lanky man who turns up at Miyuki's death bed telling her to go to hell. Litetrally. Touda is a Shikigami, come to take Miyuki's soul to hell, but Touda doesn't know Miyuki very well. She won't go without a fight. But Miyuki doesn't know Touda very well, he's never failed to collect a soul in his entire career as a Shikigami. So begins the first volume of SugarPop Vice.

What are your ideas for manga?
Lnzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 12:32   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

How's this..
Don't start big.... go for something simple or.. uhh.. something ordinary.. then build it up..
Also structure it.. in easy to digest pieces..

I don't mind reading stuff but fanfiction always sounded boring and unoriginal..
Sorry but the above don' sound so good to me.. I suspect it's the same for the rest of the fanfiction hating bunch..

Try shooting some more.. maybe you'll stike a hit..
If you want I can offer you my critics, as a fanfiction hater, as you try...
Old 2006-12-18, 21:32   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Writing a manga is no different than writing a novel. The only difference is that you have to give considerations for the visuals. Other than that, you use the same writing rules and guidelines that you otherwise would use to create a novel. This includes plot, charecter building, etc.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 01:10   Link #4
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Well, for starters, your story sounds promissing. However, its success is going to depend on what kind of result you're expecting from it. I say this because I know that every manga starts out as an idea, but no manga, novel, story or book, survives out there without a main plot, subplots, conflits, side conflicts, peaks and endings.

You may want to also consider first what genre you're going for. Romance? Action? Relationship? You can probably mix in all of them, but remember that certain storylines just don't fit in with certain genres. I mean, take Dragon Ball Z, which is mostly about the fights. Would you find it normal for them to throw an entire season based on the relationship between Goku and Chi-chi?

Also, as a piece of advice, don't go saying everywhere what your storyline is about, you know. Of course you can give people an outline to work with, but giving specific details about a book before it's even published will 1) Not sell as many books and 2) Not get people curious for what's to come. One of the reasons J.K Rolling has made so much success with Harry Potter is because she drew the line with 7 years of school life, with each year portraining a new adventure ( is it still the same? I stopped at like, the fourth. ). At the end of each book, you don't know what to expect of the next one, but you already know it's coming out, and it's going to be exciting.

I'm currently working on a rough draft for a Diary written by a character that has lived much before the actual time the story takes place. However, I plan on using it as a tool to get people interested in the story. If you have a good background... then you can probably support everything you throw in in the future.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 02:12   Link #5
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

Zounds interesting. Tell me when your first issue comes out okay.
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 14:16   Link #6
St.Hound
Blood-stained Glory

Hey I got a few ideas to... So tell me what is the difference to a graphic novel and a manga aside from pictures? I want to try a grapic novel first because there's no need to draw (saving that for portfolio class) If I post some could someone tell me what they think?
St.Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 15:55   Link #7
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
As far as I know, Graphic novels are just another way to call a Manga, the latter being the Japanese version of GNs. However, you might be thinking about something on the lines of a Light Novel, which is made mostly of text, with a few illustrations here and there, every 50 pages or so. A lot of Anime series we see today start as an idea, escalate into a light novel, start being serialized in a Shonen Jump-type of magazine, turn into a full-length Manga and then become either an OVA or an Anime. It pays off to start small, though

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 22:34   Link #8
LoOnatick
1ne Love

If I can create a manga of my own. I would make a mini comedy series based on my life. The story would resolves around me and my ex gf. I would try and squeeze all the memoriable, funny moments into pictures.
LoOnatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 03:22   Link #9
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

I have an idea for a manga, etc, and was discussing it with 2 of my friends yesterday. In my opinion, it would sound similar to Air Gear. It would be about me and my friends when we were in high school, and how we used to breakdance at that time. It would start off with ordinarily high school students who got interested in breakdancing (by reasons I forgot), to us finding a place to practice at and away from school, to forming a group or a "crew", to seeing other breakdancers, to developing rivals, to breakdance "battles", to dances and other events, to drama within the crew and so on. Oh, and of course, it will be based on real life experience. I would like to know what people here think.
NibelungTaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 12:31   Link #10
Ajikan-aoi

All these idea's are very creative,the idea i have seems so amature now but tell me what you think:
15 year old high school student/Otaku, Koki Ito is a social misfit . He has no friends,well 2, who share his dorm but apart from that no one else. He is not all that smart and is constantly pressured by his family due to the fact that they are all high achievers. The only thing he is good at is drawing manga. On the way home from a convinience store on night a strange woman who gives him a talisman claiming that it brings paper to life...Koki dosn't believe it at first...
One of Koki's manga character creations in magical girl midori(this name "midori" is subject to change since im not sure about it), while Koki is bored he decides to try the talisman out on a picture he drew of Midori. A flash of light appears and the talisman vanishes but it dosn't seem to have worked. But, when he wakes up a nude girl who is the splitting image of Midori is sleeping with Koki in his bed. When she wakes up she explains that Koki has entered a Shikigami contract and he is now an Onmyoji. To make matters worse for Koki, Midori decides to join his school..... and thats all i have so far,it may sound unoriginal but,please,give me your thoughts on this, i want to make it into a Doujinshi when i have the suffient amount of skills and equipment .
Ajikan-aoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 12:59   Link #11
Ajikan-aoi

All these idea's are very creative,the idea i have seems so amature now but tell me what you think:
15 year old high school student/Otaku, Koki Ito is a social misfit . He has no friends,well 2, who share his dorm but apart from that no one else. He is not all that smart and is constantly pressured by his family due to the fact that they are all high achievers. The only thing he is good at is drawing manga. On the way home from a convinience store on night a strange woman who gives him a talisman claiming that it brings paper to life...Koki dosn't believe it at first...
One of Koki's manga character creations in magical girl midori(this name "midori" is subject to change since im not sure about it), while Koki is bored he decides to try the talisman out on a picture he drew of Midori. A flash of light appears and the talisman vanishes but it dosn't seem to have worked. But, when he wakes up a nude girl who is the splitting image of Midori is sleeping with Koki in his bed. When she wakes up she explains that Koki has entered a Shikigami contract and he is now an Onmyoji. To make matters worse for Koki, Midori decides to join his school..... and thats all i have so far,it may sound unoriginal but,please,give me your thoughts on this, i want to make it into a Doujinshi when i have the suffient amount of skills and equipment .
Old 2007-01-07, 13:03   Link #12
Ajikan-aoi

Sorry i posted that twice.
Old 2009-11-28, 18:41   Link #13
wolfrider122
Wolf Kid

hey, i have one. basicaly its seven people, six kids and one adult who live in chicago, illinois, U.S.A and they work for the city protection program, CPP, and they protect the earth from the huge evil monster things called shadows, to top that they have entrences to other cities in another world all around chicago, and our main character, Elizabeth Yuno Sata and her six friends have to save the world from the evil city of darkness. i dont know what to call it, have any ideas?
wolfrider122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 15:57   Link #14
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnzy1 View Post
I would love to get a change to draw manga and yesterday an idea popped into my head that would make a great manga!

Here's the synopse:

Miyuki Hundo is 16, smart, is scared of the dark, favortie food is Inari, and is terrible at Math....oh! And did we forget to mention she's dead? After a heartbreaking arguement with her mother on the way home from a family get together, their car wreckes and the next thing she knows, Miyuki is floating above her body in a hospital mourge. How could things get any worse! Well...here is how: Enter Touda. A tall dark lanky man who turns up at Miyuki's death bed telling her to go to hell. Litetrally. Touda is a Shikigami, come to take Miyuki's soul to hell, but Touda doesn't know Miyuki very well. She won't go without a fight. But Miyuki doesn't know Touda very well, he's never failed to collect a soul in his entire career as a Shikigami. So begins the first volume of SugarPop Vice.

What are your ideas for manga?
To answer the question first I really haven't formed any premises for mangas or such. I have some general ideas but they need a lot of work if I ever intend to get them even to actual planning stage.

-

A few comments about your synopsis.
Protagonist is indeed a bit stereotypical and making a by premise stereotypical character interesting is twice as hard as making an original character interesting. The premise somewhat reminds me of the film "What Dreams May Come". While it wasn't terribly good, there was a clearer motivation for the actions of the characters than what I can extract from your synopsis. "Heaven Can Wait" actually touches the same subject a bit as well. I'd give a protagonist a good once over. I don't see this premise working very well as a shounen manga so I'd lose the shounen-ish protagonist.

Second (frankly nitpicking), It's actually Shinigami not Shikigami.

I'd be careful with the concept of Hell as well, in Japanese culture it's not very clear cut case.
I'd check these out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto#Afterlife
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yomi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_%28Buddhism%29
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote