Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-03-05, 18:45   Link #1281
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Doesn't that make them unpopular?
Agreed. I never saw the importance of those two really. Viletta at the beginning of the show with Jeremiah, possibly, but still irrelevant.
Old 2010-03-05, 18:55   Link #1282
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Let's look at the title of the thread again, guys.
Old 2010-03-05, 19:02   Link #1283
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

I don't think this is the right thread for Viletta and Jeremiah bashing. Besides, at least concerning the former, it's getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well said .
*grins* Thank you!

Quote:
Even in their everyday school life, what Shirley loved wasn't the surface, but the hint of the real person she saw behind. That's why Shirley didn't begin to like him until that traffic accident, and why she was always trying to change that cool and unproductive schoolboy surface.
I agree with that, too.
Shirley is quite insightful, and although she may seem like the typical "school girl with a crush" character in the beginning, it becomes clear pretty quickly that she's much more than that. Simply the fact that she is able to fall and remain in love with the real Lelouch despite his best attempts to keep her at a distance, and without knowing his history, is quite remarkable.
And of course, she doesn't only have eyes for Lelouch, but is an open and friendly person in general. I quite liked her interaction with Suzaku, for example - she always tried to include him, without thinking of it as doing anything special.
Old 2010-03-05, 20:10   Link #1284
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
I don't think this is the right thread for Viletta and Jeremiah bashing. Besides, at least concerning the former, it's getting old.

*grins* Thank you!

I agree with that, too.
Shirley is quite insightful, and although she may seem like the typical "school girl with a crush" character in the beginning, it becomes clear pretty quickly that she's much more than that. Simply the fact that she is able to fall and remain in love with the real Lelouch despite his best attempts to keep her at a distance, and without knowing his history, is quite remarkable.
And of course, she doesn't only have eyes for Lelouch, but is an open and friendly person in general. I quite liked her interaction with Suzaku, for example - she always tried to include him, without thinking of it as doing anything special.
I've deducted this out of this text: Shirley is Win.

Shirley was a great character. She was innocent and fell in love with Lelouch twice. Even though he indirectly killed her father. Such a shame she was killed off, I liked her a lot as a character.
Old 2010-03-05, 20:20   Link #1285
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
Exactly!

Quote:
Shirley was a great character. She was innocent and fell in love with Lelouch twice. Even though he indirectly killed her father. Such a shame she was killed off, I liked her a lot as a character.
The most awesome characters die much too early. No, really, I'm not thinking of Clovis!
Ah, but what would CG be without its tragedies?
Old 2010-03-05, 20:35   Link #1286
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Thats one way of putting it. One giant doomed love story...

It's as Lolipopo explained, Elaine is tragic. Though I prefer the tragedy of Guinevere over Elaine. Lancelot tried to save Guinevere, but failed. Whcih started his descent into madness/His depression/Always leading to his betrayal of King Arthur, as him attempting to save Guinevere was the starting point.

Shirley is Shirley, the tragic angel who's life was severed far too quickly, too brashly. I will say this: If they really cared about the characters they killed off, why wouldn't they kill off the less popular ones, then? an example is Nagisa Chiba. I don't know anyone that likes her :/

The sutherland Sieg Suki? Idunno what her KMF would be. Though I wouldn't mind seeing her in a Devicer outfit
I like Nagisa she is one of my favorite Holy Swords next to Asahina and Todou don't really care too much for the other two.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 20:46   Link #1287
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Point proven, but wrong discussion for The Four Holy swords, generic discussion, perhaps? OR we could PM about our FHS fandom D:<

Anime that is filled with tragedy is win for me, but it also has to have memorable characters and a good story (...R2 kinda botched.)

Memorable characters like Shirley! She was quite memorable, and she kinda grew on me after the Mao incident.

While yes, she is stereotypical of being the shy and crush girl. One thing that stands out is, in my honest opinion is....

It can easily be mistaken as puppy love, but it isn't. She genuinely wanted to know the 'real' Lelouch. While I think she didn't know him in the best way, Clovis fangirl no.1 did make a good point. She knew he was a kind person at heart. Unfortunately, her death would bleach that kind heart into something scarred and marred even further.

Poetic? Quite. Realistic? Yes. Did Shirley deserve that? Go shoot yourself if you answer 'yes'. Even though I believe in Free will, and individuality, I can't comprehend how she deserved anything but being a good character with a sincere heart.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 20:54   Link #1288
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
While I think she didn't know him in the best way, Clovis fangirl no.1 did make a good point.
You know, I really like that title. *grins*

Quote:
Poetic? Quite. Realistic? Yes. Did Shirley deserve that? Go shoot yourself if you answer 'yes'. Even though I believe in Free will, and individuality, I can't comprehend how she deserved anything but being a good character with a sincere heart.
Personally, I think she deserved cake.
But CG is more for pizza, I suppose.
Old 2010-03-05, 21:01   Link #1289
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Point proven, but wrong discussion for The Four Holy swords, generic discussion, perhaps? OR we could PM about our FHS fandom D:<

Anime that is filled with tragedy is win for me, but it also has to have memorable characters and a good story (...R2 kinda botched.)
Time to watch TTGL?

I don't necessarily like tragedies, but it makes anime so damn addicting sometimes, it leaves you saying "OMFGWTFJUSTHAPPENED." I was thinking that when Shirley died. Rolo you bastard
Old 2010-03-05, 22:46   Link #1290
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Truer words have never been spoken

Quote:
Ah, but what would CG be without its tragedies?
A lot more pleasant.

Quote:
I agree with that, too.
Agreed. Some people have criticized Shirlulu as just a typical boy-meets-girl high school romance story. And while it may have some similarities to that, the main difference here is that boy happens to be living a double life as the leader of a rebel faction

But seriously, they're relationship runs a lot deeper than that. Shirley fell in love with Lelouch time and time again and even after she knew who he was and all the things he had done, she still loved him and ultimately had a deep understanding of him. If that ain't true love I don't know what is.

Quote:
You know, I really like that title. *grins*
Well, I'm the Knight of Shirley. Maybe you could be the Knight of Clovis.
Just a suggestion.

Quote:
Personally, I think she deserved cake.
But CG is more for pizza, I suppose.
The cake is a lie!

....Sorry, had to say it But yeah, if Shirley could've had a nice slice of chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and nice helping of not-getting-killed-by-Rolo on top, I'd have been quite happy.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 23:04   Link #1291
Lost Cause

Shirley

Wow! Somebody dusted Shirley off, and about time too!
Shirley,to me she is probably the straightest chararcter in CG! She never waivers or faulters, always quick with a smile and very warm hearted and opened minded! I missed her at the end and to be killed by that weasel Rolo was a crime all to itself!
While I admire the other girl in the other thread for her fire and strength. I loved Shirley!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 23:08   Link #1292
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Tragedy tends to be quite fond of romance. Or vice versa.

I can't quite understand the sentiment. Yes, Shirley genuinely loved Lelouch, but... She didn't know him as well as she could've, making me feel depressed about it for awhile, since she was a genuinely good character who had genuinely good intentions, who just so happened to genuinely love Lelouch.

We are kinda beating a dead horse, here. No pun, just to avoid that horrid scenario.

I prefer Kallen, but I openly express the moe that is Shirley. Also, while Nobodyman did point it out, it was similiar to boy meets girl in highschool, unfortunately for Shirley... His name is Zero. (Yes, thats a pun.)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 23:27   Link #1293
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Wow! Somebody dusted Shirley off, and about time too!
Oh no you didn't. This sentence sounds so wrong.
Old 2010-03-05, 23:40   Link #1294
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Tragedy tends to be quite fond of romance. Or vice versa.
Does seem that way, doesn't it?

-Romeo and Juliet
-Samson and Delilah
-And of course all the Arthurian tales we've been talking about

But then again, there are a whole bunch of happy fairy tale endings, like Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Cinderella, and all that jazz. Personally, I prefer the fairy tales.

Quote:
I can't quite understand the sentiment. Yes, Shirley genuinely loved Lelouch, but... She didn't know him as well as she could've, making me feel depressed about it for awhile, since she was a genuinely good character who had genuinely good intentions, who just so happened to genuinely love Lelouch.
Well, there is that line in her character poem about how Lelouch always eluded her grasp, as if she were climbing glass (paraphrase). Still, considering that she was just an average high school student that had no earthly business being a part of anything that Lelouch was involved in, I think she did quite all right for herself. No, she didn't know everything about him (who did?) but I think she knew him well enough.

Quote:
LOL. I didn't even get that till you pointed it out
Old 2010-03-06, 02:16   Link #1295
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Shirley was one of the few characters that were able to understand Lelouch and see past his many masks. The other being Suzaku, although I think she probably had a better understanding than Suzaku, or at least she was able to forgive him whereas Suzaku never really forgave him for Euphie.
Old 2010-03-06, 02:32   Link #1296
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Actually, Suzaku did forgive Lelouch for murdering Euphy, we just don't see it. And nicely enough, it was because of Shirley's speech about forgiveness that allowed him to forgive Lelouch. It was confirmed in the extended next-episode preview, in which Shirley's speech and the forgiveness that followed were explicitly stated.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2010-03-06 at 03:59.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 03:40   Link #1297
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Actually, Suzaku did forgive Lelouch for murdering Suzaku, we just don't see it. And nicely enough, it was because of Shirley's speech about forgiveness that allowed him to forgive Lelouch. It was confirmed in the extended next-episode preview, in which Shirley's speech and the forgiveness that followed were explicitly stated.
Gee, I don't remember Lelouch killing Suzaku ('sallright RD, I know what you meant )

Anyway, that's a pretty bold statement Revolutionist, and I'm pleased you think that highly of Shirley's relationship with Lelouch. Do I agree with it? Hmm, I dunno about that. I think it was stated once by the staff that no one had a better understanding of Lelouch than Suzaku (or something to that extent), but I guess you can look at it however you want. But yes, Shirley was definitely huge on the whole forgiveness thing, and I'm glad that that inevitably did amount to something.
Old 2010-03-06, 03:59   Link #1298
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That's it, time to call it a night. Need to draw the line at grievous mistakes like that. >.>
Old 2010-03-06, 12:25   Link #1299
Lost Cause

Quote:
Whoops! Sorry 'bout that guys! I meant this thread! Not Shirley that girl shines brighter than the North Star on a winter night!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 14:39   Link #1300
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Whoops! Sorry 'bout that guys! I meant this thread! Not Shirley that girl shines brighter than the North Star on a winter night!
Good save there?