AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-14, 00:12   Link #361
neoeagle

The male lead is something to look for.The second episode confirmed my assumption this is one solid anime.Looking forward to next episode.
Old 2008-10-14, 02:20   Link #362
Megrim27

So far I have to say I'm really enjoying this series.

Spoiler for Ep. 2:

I do like the Touma character, though I think they could tone him down a notch. Just a bit too much pathos there at the end over Index's situation

As for him surviving that fall and knocking out the other guy with one punch, I see it as just your standard action hero schtick. How many times have you seen <insert action movie star here> take enough punishment to kill a normal person 5 times over, then get up and punch somebody's lights out?
Old 2008-10-14, 05:06   Link #363
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Loved the 1st and 2nd episodes, Looking forward to the rest of them!
I'm really glad Touma isn't like alot of the male leads recently (wussy,cowardly, etc)
Old 2008-10-14, 06:10   Link #364
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaWolf View Post

I'm really glad Touma isn't like alot of the male leads recently (wussy,cowardly, etc)

I haven't been seeing any of those lately... Thought they've all but died out? Or maybe I've just been really good with my picks ?
Old 2008-10-14, 06:40   Link #365
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Nah, you're right. Aside from the few token ones, a lot of male leads nowadays aren't exactly the totally weak, timid ones they used to be.
Old 2008-10-14, 06:49   Link #366
golthin

Quote:
he admits it to himself, that his sense of justice gets him in trouble too much, but those are the kind of male leads we like to cheer for.
Old 2008-10-14, 10:37   Link #367
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
After watching 2nd episode... I want to have Index's brain >.>...

Spoiler for Ep2:

I have the feeling this anime will be pretty long, definitely over 20 episodes.
Old 2008-10-14, 12:24   Link #368
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Japan View Post
I want to have Index's brain >.>...
I want photographic memory too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Japan View Post
I have the feeling this anime will be pretty long, definitely over 20 episodes.
From pages bacK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The usual episode count FYI, since I don't see it covered elsewhere yet. Someone already mentioned that the show was going to be releasing simultaneously on Blu-Ray and DVD in Japan, but now the full solicitations are up on the usual places confirming that the series will feature 24 episodes (spread over 8 discs, whether Blu-Ray or DVD).

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-14, 12:30   Link #369
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I want photographic memory too...
I'm being off topic but, there are times when excellent memory is a drawback.

Human lives on through forgetting things, that's why we survive (Imagine if you couldn't forget -insert bad tragedy here- and keep recalling it every night)

Back to topic, great first episode, in love with Index.

Old 2008-10-14, 13:32   Link #370
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Loved the 1st and 2nd episodes, Looking forward to the rest of them!
he was a step away from biting it.
but, the guys is just too damn awesome to be turned onto the green side

Stiyl would probably be the 2nd most cool guy here, if not for his "OMGWTF?!" causing him to lose his confidence. He could have easily avoided Touma's punch like the first one if he kept his cool .

that's a pretty lame cover up for Touma's character, imo. In a good way .
Old 2008-10-14, 16:53   Link #371
SkoolRumble4Ya

I'm glad Touma knock his ass out. Stiyl was being too cocky for his own good but he's probably not an enemy.
Old 2008-10-14, 21:29   Link #372
uis

Personally I think this anime great...
With two great loli...
Great battle...

Look forward to next episode...

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
Old 2008-10-14, 21:52   Link #373
loltan

ink should not fade so quickly by the way...
Old 2008-10-15, 02:14   Link #374
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltan View Post
ink should not fade so quickly by the way...
It's best not to care too much about that.. If the ink didn't fade so conveniently, Touma wouldn't have found a way to take down the Innocentius.

Seems official website updated with episode three (they should update the notice at the top...)...
Here's our guest for next week~
Spoiler for just a pic:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-15, 03:44   Link #375
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Super high-tech water... >.>

Mah~ anyway I think Touma's plan should still work if the ink gets smudged badly enough... After all, that's alot of water.
Old 2008-10-15, 07:51   Link #376
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2

Why do shounen action series tend to be so ridiculously shallow and inane? I mean, they spend the majority of the episode fighting and talking at each other (I rue to call it "dialogue" since they weren't so much communicating as they were spouting words at each other and the audience). BFD. *Yawn* Wake me up when the characters aren't completely one-dimensional or the fight scenes don't resemble the ones from Shakugan no Shana that no one was interested in anyway.
Old 2008-10-15, 09:28   Link #377
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Why do shounen action series tend to be so ridiculously shallow and inane? I mean, they spend the majority of the episode fighting and talking at each other (I rue to call it "dialogue" since they weren't so much communicating as they were spouting words at each other and the audience). BFD. *Yawn* Wake me up when the characters aren't completely one-dimensional or the fight scenes don't resemble the ones from Shakugan no Shana that no one was interested in anyway.
A pretty silly way to summarize the episode, sorry. Have to disagree entirely. The talk before the fight was quite relevant in explaining several issues (origin of Index and her abilities, reasong why she is hunted). During the fight itself there was almost no typical shounen boasting, rather Index's computerized explanation of Stiyl's powers (also relevant). There was a proper explanation on why the fight ended the way it did other than the typical-shounen mystical powerup. Post-fight, we got more explanations about the differences between magic and esper abilities. And where you have the so-called "shallowness" is a mystery to me too - since it's already clear that Stiyl isn't a run-the-mill badguy at all.

I mean, I know that you have the tendency to go a bit overboard when feel like dissing, but this time I'd say you're simply factually off. I for one have to say that I can remember no show in this season with higher production values - and Shakugan no Shana's fighting scenes were probably among the most popular and watched (and downloaded) shows of their respective seasons. So that's not too bad in my book

In a nutshell, Index is no shounen action. Treating it as such is oversimplifying things tremensously.
Old 2008-10-15, 09:53   Link #378
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Post-fight, we got more explanations about the differences between magic and esper abilities.
About this, I would like to add- This series is perhaps the first time I've heard that the art of 'magic' was actually a tool created for the common man.

I mean, in most other stories, people who can perform magic are usually the ones considered to be above the average human, this is the first time the role has been switched

And if they altered the brain to allow the development of psychic powers, they lose the ability to perform magic... Something about it not being able to use the 'system'.
Old 2008-10-15, 18:41   Link #379
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
A pretty silly way to summarize the episode, sorry. Have to disagree entirely. The talk before the fight was quite relevant in explaining several issues (origin of Index and her abilities, reasong why she is hunted). During the fight itself there was almost no typical shounen boasting, rather Index's computerized explanation of Stiyl's powers (also relevant). There was a proper explanation on why the fight ended the way it did other than the typical-shounen mystical powerup. Post-fight, we got more explanations about the differences between magic and esper abilities. And where you have the so-called "shallowness" is a mystery to me too - since it's already clear that Stiyl isn't a run-the-mill badguy at all.

I mean, I know that you have the tendency to go a bit overboard when feel like dissing, but this time I'd say you're simply factually off. I for one have to say that I can remember no show in this season with higher production values - and Shakugan no Shana's fighting scenes were probably among the most popular and watched (and downloaded) shows of their respective seasons. So that's not too bad in my book

In a nutshell, Index is no shounen action. Treating it as such is oversimplifying things tremensously.
If it's not a shounen action, then what is it? A mystery series? All of it is pretty straightforward. We already know about Index's power and why she'd be highly sought after. They spent close to ten minutes in this episode with Touma avoiding fire monsters and Stiyl throwing flashy blasts of fire across the screen. So what if we don't get powerups and obnoxious, conceited exchanges of dialogue, they still have the fantastic powers and lengthy fight sequences that are a hallmark of shounen action series. Add in hot-headed, temperamental, violently-inclined characters and pointless lolis and you have another two characteristics common to some (not all) shounen action series.

An anime doesn't have to resemble DBZ or Naruto to be a shounen action series. Claymore, My-HiME and Idolm@ster Xenoglossia are all shounen action, the difference is that they're good shounen action because they actually bother adding a past, a set of motivations, and an intricate web of relationships to their characters. That's what makes their stories so involving... you actually come to care about what's going to happen to these characters. How can I bring myself to care about this lot:

Touma: "I have no idea what's going on around me but I'm just hot-headed enough to not back down."
Index: Two personalities, one a happy loli, the other a robotic loli with a library in her head.
Komoe: Moe-blob psuedo-loli.
Stiyl: Has fire magic powers and crap. Same evil smile on his face for the entire episode.

When they weren't fighting, the other half of the episode was spent with them talking about the rules of the universe. It was basically a lecture to the audience. I'm not interested in that crap, I don't watch anime to get lengthy lectures about the magic systems of a fictional universe. Yes, they had to explain things, but couldn't they have figured out a more interesting way to do so than have two people, two very boring characters, no less, stand there and talk?

I can only assume that this gets better once it gets out of its "set up" phase, because it can't get much more boring than that. I don't know why people are going nuts for it, though, since the episode can be easily split into long-winded explanations of the rules and a lengthy fight sequence which is all flash and just about zero in the way of genuine drama and suspense. Between this and the popularity of Shakugan no Shana, it makes me think you can just about forgo characterization and storytelling and still quell the audience with well-animated flashes of fire. Yes, popular anime are often crap. Don't worry, this doesn't keep me up at night anymore.
Old 2008-10-16, 02:03   Link #380
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I think Sorrow's managed to nail my issues with this series.

While I sat through episode 2, my brain just turned off and to amuse myself, I replaced the script they used with what I would have written had I been in charge. The way my version and the version shown to us diverged were starkly different with most of the differences coming from giving Stiyl some motivation that we can at least sympathize with even if we don't necessarily agree with it.

For example, that whole scene where Stiyl explains how important Index was could have been rewritten to say something along the lines of "she contains all the big important secrets and we cannot trust you to guard her because there are more powerful organizations that seek to get their hands on her. For the good of this world, we're taking her into our care because you have little understanding in the forces you're up against..." and so on. Bam. Clear motivation. Dialogue that's less pointless than the one that we got instead. And a revelation about more sinister elements lurking out in the whole wide world.

Is this motivation particularly deep? Heck no! But by giving us even this much insight into the character's mindset, we can glean a whole lot more about his personality, making him feel real. Had they given us even that much, I could see the story become much more compelling than it has been so far, but until then, this is an exemplary result of shallow writing.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen