AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-12-19, 11:19   Link #441
March

You're welcome.

To be honest, I think Kawamori and Co. just injected some additional "conspiracy" elements in an attempt to broaden the scope of Macross Frontier (much like the little added sequences of the Vajra preparing to attack Earth and the other colony fleets in episode 25). Featuring "side plot points" that aren't that relevant and ultimately not explained (like Grace's disembodied cohorts) is an annoying but popular trend in anime.

But the weird thing is, these added elements work in the case of Macross, since the franchise featured those kind of hanging side plot threads even before the modern trend began (like the Supervision Army in SDF Macross). It wouldn't be Macross is there weren't a few things left unexplained, which make juicy material to be covered in printed fan books. Thank gawd for the Macross Compendium
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 04:41   Link #442
gsquared

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if/when Macross Frontier will have a region 1 release? or at least a release with subs for North America? sorry if this has been discussed before, but i couldn't find it.
gsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 10:32   Link #443
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

No, you will probably not see one released in the near future. The reason behind this is an infamous lawsuit between Bandai, Big West, Studio Nue (or every other company Kawamori put his hands on), Tatsunoko and Macross' original American sub-license holder, Harmony Gold. This all goes back to the handling of the original Macross, which for some reason, allowed Harmony Gold to claim itself to be the sole holder of the Macross license in the world except Japan (despite never having claims in East-Asia, as they obviously don't think East Asia is part of the world and why anyone in East Asia would deal with a bunch of Yanks in regard to Japanese goods is anyone's guess).

Recently, it was ruled that while Tatsunoko holds the original author's rights to Macross, Studio Nue, Big West and co. owns the design rights, meaning Tatsunoko possess the capacity to the distribution/publication of the original 1982 series only, but Studio Nue & co. has the rights to produce sequels or anything related to the entire franchise.

However, until a proper lawsuit is brought to the US against HG, you probably won't see Macross Frontier properly licensed in a while. Moreover, even if proper lawsuit is brought to the US, there is still a big problem with the music, which is licensed by other corporations. Seeing how Yanks are anal about licensing and copyrights, I'd imagine this entire process becoming a bloody mess when licensing is attempted. After all, even Macross 7 didn't make it to the states when it could, and I presume it was due to its overwhelming music tracks.

- Tak (But seeing how you are from Taiwan, accessing Macross Frontier stuff should be unbelievably easy. In fact, I ordered couple hard-to-find art books from TWN a while back)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2008-12-28 at 23:13.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 23:03   Link #444
gsquared

oh, i see. thanks for letting me know. looks like i'll just have to wait till i go back to TW to get some frontier stuff. stupid lawsuits....
gsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 14:18   Link #445
March

I think Frontier can be released in Nroth America without a lawsuit. It appears Big West firmly has all the legal rights they need to release Macross sequels where ever they wish (following their case against Tatsunoko in 2002). But the question is, will they bother? Frontier was a major success in Japan, but Big West has never shown any interest in selling Macross internationally despite the earning potential. Maybe that will change, but probably not.
Old 2008-12-29, 15:37   Link #446
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
I think Frontier can be released in Nroth America without a lawsuit. It appears Big West firmly has all the legal rights they need to release Macross sequels where ever they wish (following their case against Tatsunoko in 2002). But the question is, will they bother? Frontier was a major success in Japan, but Big West has never shown any interest in selling Macross internationally despite the earning potential. Maybe that will change, but probably not.
I am far more interested in seeing Harmony Gold biting the dust than anything else, actually

I cannot forgive them for distorting my childhood memories

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-12-29, 15:46   Link #447
March

Ah, who cares? I got my original, remastered, NA release of SDF Macross in flawless English subtitles now, so I'm happy. The only thing that could make life better would be a proper subtitled, NA release of Macross Plus and Macross Frontier on Blu-Ray.
Let the RB fanboys have their nostalgia if it really matters that much to them (which it shouldn't). I'm more than comfortable letting quality speak for itself and in the case of Macross Frontier vs. Shadow Chronicles, SC doesn't deserve to be called anything other than the fungus lying beneath the bottom of the barrel
Old 2008-12-29, 15:55   Link #448
Kit-Tsukasa

Quote:
If Funimation has enough money to purchase a whole bunch of licenses this week + possibly Eva 1.0 and Soul Eater (which are anticipated in the next two days), then they probably could. If I'm not mistaken, Macross Frontier is the next most expensive license after Eva 1.0 right now.

Question is where is Funi getting all there funding/money from?

After the disaster with original Macross, I think even trying to touch Zero or Plus was impossible (Macross 7 doesn't count for that piece of crap), let alone Macross DYRL. If Zero is impossible, might as well give up on Frontier even though Zero was better while Frontier sold better.

This is also probably why we'll never get a May'n and Megumi concert here <_<

Saimoe 2011 (as of end of First Prelims): Waiting for main tournament bracket draw.
Kit-Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 16:24   Link #449
Tak

Quote:
SC doesn't deserve to be called anything other than the fungus lying beneath the bottom of the barrel
I watched SC myself... I hate to say it... but you know, I don't get it

Where is the story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit-Tsukasa View Post
even though Zero was better while Frontier sold better.
While I like Zero, its not really Macross per se, and Macross Frontier simply blew my mind. Ok ok, Zero had a more likable male character, but it did not have Sheryl

Quote:
This is also probably why we'll never get a May'n and Megumi concert here <_<
The Macross license has very little to do with May'n or Megumi singing over here. They sang under different corporate labels, and even if they were direct party affiliates to the Frontier franchise, it still does not matter. Besides, if they just want to set foot on the US, who is going to stop them? Therefore, the question should be, do they want to come?

- Tak

Old 2008-12-30, 12:27   Link #450
March

Quote:
If Funimation has enough money to purchase a whole bunch of licenses this week + possibly Eva 1.0 and Soul Eater (which are anticipated in the next two days), then they probably could. If I'm not mistaken, Macross Frontier is the next most expensive license after Eva 1.0 right now.
I'm not sure how expensive Macross Frontier is to license. The music probably makes it more expensive than most, but that all depends upon a licensing agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I watched SC myself... I hate to say it... but you know, I don't get it

Where is the story?

- Tak
More like "Where's the quality?" Shadow Chronicles is a failure on so many levels that biased criticism on the part of Macross fans such as myself is really irrelevant. It's THAT bad
Old 2008-12-30, 12:32   Link #451
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
I'm not sure how expensive Macross Frontier is to license. The music probably makes it more expensive than most, but that all depends upon a licensing agreement.

More like "Where's the quality?" Shadow Chronicles is a failure on so many levels that biased criticism on the part of Macross fans such as myself is really irrelevant. It's THAT bad
*SCREAMS M7 and runs and hides*

I like M7 but oy the qaulity issues... then again M7 visuals are equatable to MFs story/charatcer dev.....*runs and hides again*

Last edited by ZippyDSM; 2008-12-30 at 13:28.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 12:39   Link #452
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
*SCREAMS M7 and runs and hides*

I like M7 but oy the qaulity issues...
No one said M7 was otherwise. But Macross has DYRL?, Plus and Frontier. RT has SC. Epic fail, as the kids say these days
Old 2008-12-30, 12:42   Link #453
ZippyDSM

Quote:
No one said M7 was otherwise. But Macross has DYRL?, Plus and Frontier. RT has SC. Epic fail, as the kids say these days
Well RT is fail it did a fair job on a redo of the plot/charatcers for the first a couple of seasons but its basically blended fap to spam out and hope to generate revenue from a weak and poorly re created product.
Old 2008-12-30, 15:26   Link #454
Tak

Hey hey, Macross 7 dissing aside, one has to admit, Super Robot Wars is nothing, and I mean nothing, without Basara popping into the scene screaming HOLY LONELY NIGHT!!!!

See, whenever that happened, I cheered.

Besides, the show was... quite popular, as much as I hate to admit it.

- Tak

Old 2008-12-30, 15:39   Link #455
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Hey hey, Macross 7 dissing aside, one has to admit, Super Robot Wars is nothing, and I mean nothing, without Basara popping into the scene screaming HOLY LONELY NIGHT!!!!

See, whenever that happened, I cheered.

Besides, the show was... quite popular, as much as I hate to admit it.

- Tak
I cheered for MF when they stayed on the main plot :P

All Macross has has their moments I don't think any are inherently bad just some are weaker than others.

RT-Robo tech is a mess, if the standards were a bit higher it would not be so bad but sheesh....
Old 2008-12-30, 17:07   Link #456
March

It's okay to bash M7. It knows it's not worthy to be called Macross
Besides, millions of fans can be terribly, horribly, tragically wrong
Old 2008-12-30, 17:10   Link #457
ZippyDSM

Quote:
It's okay to bash M7. It knows it's not worthy to be called Macross
Besides, millions of fans can be terribly, horribly, tragically wrong
So thats why MF is doing so well...*runs and hides* :P
Old 2008-12-30, 18:12   Link #458
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
So that's why SC actually sold...*runs and hides* :P
That, and bad taste
Old 2008-12-30, 19:11   Link #459
Tak

Quote:
That, and bad taste
Oh boy, are you going to hate this...

- Tak

Old 2008-12-30, 22:39   Link #460
March

Yeah, that's an old one. I don't mind Fukuyama's version; it's pretty good. Yoshiki Fukuyama actually isn't that bad a singer. Out of the context of M7, he could actually be pretty good, I'd wager. It's the character of Basara that destroys the whole thing. That, and listening to Planet dance a dozen times every episode

Tags
q&a