AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-08-05, 02:55   Link #1
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Doom 3

Just wondering if there any Doom 3 players on here.
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 07:12   Link #2
RunningTARGET
Bishoujo sweet!

Yes bought the game and I'm preaty much half way through it, I think.

Its a good game and it was worth buying. Pity the the PC version has no Co op, oh well there are some people working on it as we speak.
RunningTARGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 07:28   Link #3
Slideways
Always Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningTARGET
Yes bought the game and I'm preaty much half way through it, I think.

Its a good game and it was worth buying. Pity the the PC version has no Co op, oh well there are some people working on it as we speak.
I heard it was kinda buggy... is that true?
Slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 07:39   Link #4
RunningTARGET
Bishoujo sweet!

The game it self isnt buggy, well at least the single player part, not sure on multiplayer (havent try it yet).
Old 2004-08-05, 07:42   Link #5
Slideways
Always Confused

Ive never played any Doom games. The pics for Doom3 scared the hell outta me, so I decided not to try it =/
Old 2004-08-05, 10:02   Link #6
NyHunter
Baka Baka

Send a message via AIM to NyHunter
yea the game in realyl scarey if u have a good graphics card and 5.1 .... the sound really gets your creeped out
NyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 11:03   Link #7
Slideways
Always Confused

Yea screw it... Im not even going to attempt this game heh
Old 2004-08-05, 11:14   Link #8
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I'm waiting on a replacement motherboard for my PC (other one died), so the game is sitting on my desk waiting for a machine. I'm excited.

--Cless
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 11:41   Link #9
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyHunter
yea the game in realyl scarey if u have a good graphics card and 5.1 .... the sound really gets your creeped out
This is true, I spent a whole day playing and I'm in the delta labs now But its true that the game puts you on edge in terms of story line. You'll realy want to keep playing just to know what happens next.
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 11:53   Link #10
Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlisuite
Just wondering if there any Doom 3 players on here.
Yeah, and it's great.
The game is really scary, but maybe not for the right reasons.
1. It's slow (FPS FramesPerSecond wise), like when a moster like an Imp
(that moves fast) appears and rushes me, it's like reading a comic book when
you see the bad guy and you must turn the page to see what happens next.

2a. The game is dark, so you never know when and where next attack is
coming from.

2b. The monsters appear out of nowhere (thin air), and from walls.

3. And the bad guy reminds me of Hannibal Lector.

But still it is a good game, it's like playing a lead role in a B grade space horro movie
(similar to Event Horizon).
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 12:02   Link #11
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

*Sigh* how sad it is that I have a crummy Athlon 1.4 with Ti4200.... I do not want to spoil the Doom3 experience for me and hence have to put off till I upgrade....

Happy thoughts: Upgrading time should be within 2 months (dependent on how fast I can raise cash )
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 12:44   Link #12
Ending

Wondered how long it would take for a topic like this to pop-out on this forum too...

From what I have heard, the shotgun is overpowered and the gatling gun underpowered. Also, some say that they have used too many imps and that there really is no highs or lows -the feeling getting rather repetitive after a time.

Based on that, I don't think I will want to buy yet another, regular shoot'em'up.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 12:56   Link #13
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Tsk Tsk hopelesslover, downloading the game. Bad boy. But whatever, I download music so I can't really say anything...

Anyways, Wirhe, even IF it's just another shooter, I'm still gonna buy it because of its name sake. Come on, it's DOOM 3. The sequel to Doom 2, the shooter that started it all (well, some say it's Wolfenstein 3D, but Doom 2 was the one that really hooked people up on its mulitplayer deathmatch). Because it's legendary, every self-respecting computer gamer's going to have a copy, regardless if it's a good or "just another" game. Plus, I'm an FPS (first person shooter) fan. Simply put: I will have to, no, I MUST buy the game. Off to Futureshop I go to find my copy...this afternoon, but first some coffee...
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 17:35   Link #14
Arwyn

D3 is a good game. It is VERY hardware intensive, so if your video isnt up to midrange specs, you may want to hold off.

ID did a pretty good job though, the game is pretty tightly scripted, has a pretty decent storyline (although sparse) and has some nice immersion with the NPC audiologs and emails.

It will definately scare the hell of you, and frequently.

Although its not the most original shooter out there (they borrowed an awful lot from System Shock 2) its very well done, and intense. For a FPS its hard to beat.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 17:57   Link #15
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I have an athon xp at 1.5mhz, 512 ddram 400mhz, Gforcefx - 5900XT... will I be able to play it without any problem? Or do I HAVE to buy a new processor?
Old 2004-08-05, 18:14   Link #16
Ending

Yeah, you can -at minimum settings. Should still look good, I hear.

Quote:
even IF it's just another shooter, I'm still gonna buy it because of its name sake
Heard the same about Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and now it's still waiting for the second playthrough, otherwise gathering dust. I'd save my money for Half-Life 2 and the Sims 2.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 18:51   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
I just want to throw this one in:

The nVidia cards are faring alot better than their Ati counterparts performance wise because the Ati Open GL drivers suck. But no reason to worry for Ati card owners (me included - I got my Radeon about a week ago ) because Ati has promised a significant performance boost with the Catalyst 4.9 drivers that will be released in September. If you don't want to wait that long, download the 4.9 Beta drivers from their homepage.

That being said: I'm looking forward on playing this game since it will also be a test for my new system (besides Prince of Persia which is a good game as well)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 23:17   Link #18
RunningTARGET
Bishoujo sweet!

The game works fine with those min specs poeple have mentioned, the thing you need the most is mainly ram (more then 512mg). My mate has a similar system as I though he has 1gig of ram while I have the video card, (radeon 9800xt) though he seems to have the smoother experience while mine lags out on the ocasion.

The game does look nice on low detail if you leave all the other options on, what it does is dincrease the texture res to 256X256 so its no system hungry as say ultra high (2048X2048). But that also leaves some ugly textures to look up close.
Old 2004-08-05, 23:28   Link #19
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

I was disappointed. The game is just so bland in terms of gameplay. All you do is shoot mindlessly at demons for 15 hours. Or find a pda, thats about it...
Old 2004-08-05, 23:40   Link #20
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
*Sigh* how sad it is that I have a crummy Athlon 1.4 with Ti4200.... I do not want to spoil the Doom3 experience for me and hence have to put off till I upgrade....

Happy thoughts: Upgrading time should be within 2 months (dependent on how fast I can raise cash )
Same boat but with faster CPU but an original Radeon AIW.
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote