AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 17 11.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 34.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 39.16%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 11.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.70%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-29, 13:23   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Claymore - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Claymore, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-05-31 at 22:53.
Old 2007-05-29, 16:16   Link #2
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
how can there be an ep. after Teresa died? =(
Old 2007-05-29, 16:26   Link #3
Mentar
Banned

Since this was the perfect example of a "transitional episode", I'll only give it an 8, but I was much more pleased with it than the result displays. Why? Because the final really critical issue for me was the quality of the voice actors for Miria, Deneve and especially Helen. And I'm very pleased.

Helen is 100% spot on exactly what I hoped for. Light and clear voice, but not in the least dollish, with a hard and aggressive edge. She's a very temperamental character, and I'm sure she'll do just fine.

Deneve also fits like a glove. More controlled and very self-assured. No-nonsense type.

Miria very slightly deviated from my expectations early on because she showed a bit more emotion while chastising Clare for acting alone than I had expected. However, throughout the rest of the show, her timbre was exactly as I had imagined before.

I'm SO looking forward to the rest of the ride now ^_^
Old 2007-05-29, 16:32   Link #4
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

I´m still mourning...I`ll give my results
Old 2007-05-29, 16:36   Link #5
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well this is where the fun starts

clare is a strong girl so i cant wait to see how she works her way to become a claymore...ill be giving her my 100% support throughout :3

*mourns more for teresa*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-29, 17:49   Link #6
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varis View Post
how can there be an ep. after Teresa died? =(

Quoted for truth. How dares the world to simply continue onwards?

Anyway, didn't get a chance to watch it yet so, i'll give it my vote of confidence later^^ Too sleepy now.
Old 2007-05-29, 18:04   Link #7
Mentar
Banned

One little addition: I'd say that in a way, the training match between Clare and Miria was the best-animated swordfight so far. Dynamic and very detailed. Liked it alot!
Old 2007-05-29, 18:10   Link #8
Archmagination2002

Spoiler for Teresa's Flesh, Blood +Clair:
Old 2007-05-29, 19:14   Link #9
ruurguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
Spoiler for Teresa's Flesh, Blood +Clair:
Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2007-05-29, 19:45   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
just watched...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-29, 19:45   Link #11
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

When I'm at my friends house, I'll have to see if I can use his actually decent speed internet, to see a clip with everyones voices and see how they fit up with what I imagined.
Old 2007-05-29, 19:50   Link #12
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, it was a pretty good episode. I thought it had a usual mix of both shoddy chara work and fine animation. As has become the norm with these recent episodes, much of the attention is paid toward animating swordplay (which was exceptionally well-executed for a filler episode) and backgrounds, while characters were only a secondary concern.

This was seen, for example, when Helen was making her usual jokes at Clare's expense while her face was painfully static. The seiyuu was so good, yet the animation just couldn't keep up with the appropriate facial expressions. But, this is a general problem for the show, so I already got used to it.

As for the new seiyuus, I thought they did a good job. Miria is very commanding and authoritative. Deneve is calm, but forceful. Helen is snarky and cheerful.

I never really cared for Deneve's character (she basically has no personality whatsoever), but I always loved Helen. I though she was really well done in this episode, exactly as I has foreseen her character. She is my favorite Claymore apart from the one that is a spoiler for now, so I am quite happy about that part.

One thing that stuck me, by the way, is that Helen referred to Raki as Clare's boytoy. Which rather suggests that claymores, for all of their demonic nature, do keep sexual relationships. But I am still puzzled about an episode in one of the previous installments where Teresa undresses herself and the bandits' face show revulsion and disgust. That part was never adequately explained. What's so terrible about their bodies? They don't seem to be terribly disfigured, from what we've seen.
Old 2007-05-29, 19:52   Link #13
the_firefly

I'm so glad they didn't skip over the part with Clare at the beginning. With the way it ended last week, I wasn't sure if that would be covered.

With the new voices, I was especially happy with Helen and Deneve. Both were spot on and I loved the playful undertones in Helen's voice. Miria took a bit of getting used to. I always thought of her as having a softer sounding voice. But all three were excellent choices in the end.

And Clare knocking Raki in the head never fails to amuse me.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:11   Link #14
SapientiSat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Well, it was a pretty good episode. I thought it had a usual mix of both shoddy chara work and fine animation. As has become the norm with these recent episodes, much of the attention is paid toward animating swordplay (which was exceptionally well-executed for a filler episode) and backgrounds, while characters were only a secondary concern.

This was seen, for example, when Helen was making her usual jokes at Clare's expense while her face was painfully static. The seiyuu was so good, yet the animation just couldn't keep up with the appropriate facial expressions. But, this is a general problem for the show, so I already got used to it.

As for the new seiyuus, I thought they did a good job. Miria is very commanding and authoritative. Deneve is calm, but forceful. Helen is snarky and cheerful.

I never really cared for Deneve's character (she basically has no personality whatsoever), but I always loved Helen. I though she was really well done in this episode, exactly as I has foreseen her character. She is my favorite Claymore apart from the one that is a spoiler for now, so I am quite happy about that part.

One thing that stuck me, by the way, is that Helen referred to Raki as Clare's boytoy. Which rather suggests that claymores, for all of their demonic nature, do keep sexual relationships. But I am still puzzled about an episode in one of the previous installments where Teresa undresses herself and the bandits' face show revulsion and disgust. That part was never adequately explained. What's so terrible about their bodies? They don't seem to be terribly disfigured, from what we've seen.
It was most probably something specific to Teresa. Teresa was depicted as a Claymore who hardly used her powers, so maybe she was using her regeneration powers sparingly too. If she just healed the wounds in her chest or abdomen area until the damage is gone and didn't care about the scars, it might look gross. Kind of makes sense as she didn't look like a character who cared about dating or looking good when naked.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:14   Link #15
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
But I am still puzzled about an episode in one of the previous installments where Teresa undresses herself and the bandits' face show revulsion and disgust. That part was never adequately explained. What's so terrible about their bodies? They don't seem to be terribly disfigured, from what we've seen.
All we know about it so far is what Clare said to Theresa, "Doesn't it hurt?" Their torso looks like it must be a source of pain. Maybe their stomach/breasts are a tortured knot of scars and mismatched flesh.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:40   Link #16
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
All we know about it so far is what Clare said to Theresa, "Doesn't it hurt?" Their torso looks like it must be a source of pain. Maybe their stomach/breasts are a tortured knot of scars and mismatched flesh.
This is a bit off-topic as far as this episode goes, but I think Clare was speaking figuratively. After all, she did not see Teresa's body under her clothes in that scene, so I don't think you are correct.

Speaking of clothes, what exactly are Claymores wearing? Seems like most of them only have vambraces, spaulders and some ultralight version of a cuirass or a hauberk.

Which is rather silly. Why wear those massive spaulders, if your chest isn't protected by some plate armour? I mean, either you need maneuverability or you need protection. It doesn't seem reasonable to go half-way and achieve neither. Of course, we could discount it due to mangaka's aesthetic principles, but I do find it silly that supposedly monstrously strong warriors who swing around huge two-handers would be so sparsely protected.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:41   Link #17
the_firefly

Quote:
One thing that stuck me, by the way, is that Helen referred to Raki as Clare's boytoy.
I always saw that scene as Helen just trying to get under Clare's skin. Because that's just how Helen is.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:47   Link #18
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_firefly View Post
I always saw that scene as Helen just trying to get under Clare's skin. Because that's just how Helen is.
Yes, of course she is trying to do that. I was talking about the fact that claymores in general may have lovers whom they tug around. Which would suggest things about them.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:53   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
This is a bit off-topic as far as this episode goes, but I think Clare was speaking figuratively. After all, she did not see Teresa's body under her clothes in that scene, so I don't think you are correct.
Of course she could see Theresa's body. The bandit had already torn open her shirt. It was hanging in tatters.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:57   Link #20
Kouvley

So the new cast of claymores are introduced in this ep, let's hope they last a bit longer than the last batch eh?

Actually I've noticed Irene features quite prominently in the OP, so maybe she isn't dead yet?
Closed Thread