AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

View Poll Results: True Tears - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 86 32.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 29.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 14.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 34 13.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.38%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.15%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-23, 12:13   Link #81
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Noe & Shinichirou were nice changes from the typical characters indeed. She really brought a unique humor to the first half of the series as well.
Yeah, tell me about it. Even though these two are sort of unique to the genre, I found some faults in them, as well. About Shin, I think his reason for chasing Hiromi was a bit weak IMO. Yeah, it's a nice reason on paper, but it just didn't resonate with me too well. Idk "I want to wipe away her tears" doesn't seem like a terribly strong reason to me. I guess that I don't think his reason was big enough for him to chase after her as strongly as he did. I'm probably going to be in the minority concerning this, but something seemed off to me. I also think Shin was a bit too dramatic in some cases. An example of this would be when he chased that truck with his bike. Hiromi was still going to go to the same school as Shin, yet he's chasing after the truck like she's going away forever. Again, I understand his reason, but I think he reacted a bit too rash in that situation.

Noe, even though I adored her character greatly, had some key flaws as well. First off, she played around with Shin too much IMO. By the time she really buckled down and got serious, it was already too late. Now, one can argue that Noe acted the way she did because she wasn't sure that she loved him at the time. While this is a possibility, I don't agree with it. Even before Noe came to terms with her feelings for Shin, she already felt Jelousy when she saw Shin and Hiromi together. So I think her feelings were there in some form. Even after she realized that she loved Shin, she didn't immediatly take action. This slight delay hurt her chances IMO. Now, I know this criticizm is a minor one, but I thought it was worth bringing up. It was a shame, too, because Noe did in fact love Shin a great deal. I almost cried when she saw Hiromi and Shin together, then immediatly ran to the school chicken coop, frantically digging through the snow trying to find the oath shin made with the rocks. Of course it wasn't there, and looking back on that scene I realized that it may have been a bit symbolic. It represented Noe's chances. They started off bold and promising, but as time went by and as she lost control of the situation, her chances faded away. By the time Noe realized that her chances are dwindling, it was far too late. She made one last desperate effort (represented by her digging through the snow), at the end of that last ditch effort, however, she realized that no potential was left. This is just something I came up with, so I might be way off.

Another one of Noe's key faults is that she wasn't too keen on recognizing the feelings of other people. This happened not only with Shin, but with Noe's brother as well when she failed to recognize his incestuous feelings. This skill would have benefitted Noe greatly. There was an, albeit short, period of time where Shin had deeper feelings for Noe. If Noe would have picked up on this and adjusted her advances accordingly, who knows what would have happened. Even though I wanted Noe to win, I do realize that she had some issues that ultimately prevented her from doing so.

Quote:
I'm a rare Hiromi shipper. You have to remember, she lost her family and is put in a house with a woman who scorns her. Unlike Noe, she doesn't put on a big smile to hide her sadness. And the way she told Noe to back off was awesome. I kind of wish it happened earlier, because that's a great declaration of war, but by that time it was too late for a real war.

I'm gonna have to watch this a third time now.
I know that Hiromi had some rather deep issues, and I actually sympathize with all of them. I mean, losing one parent is bad enough, but when you lose both of them like she did (I think), it can be unbelievably traumatizing. I can't imagine the pain she was going through and it's incredible that she acted as good as she did. Also, "Smiling through the pain" isn't neccisarily a bad thing. I think that approach is rather admirable, actually. Despite the intense pain you feel, you put on a smile to prevent you from "dragging everybody down" so to speak. But I realize that people handle emotions differently, so I am in no way blaming Hiromi for that.

What I meant by "cold" is the way in which she treated Shin and even Noe in some cases. For example, Hiromi went in to could shoulder mode on more than one occasion because she was upset that Shin was giving Noe a lot of attention. I know this is par for the course in this type of series but It rubbed me the wrong way nonetheless. I also didn't like the way she tried to befriend Noe to earn brownie points with her brother. I know this is a rather common situation in real life, but I don't approve of it. I think it's rather insulting to the person they're doing it to. I've been in Noe's situation before and it makes me mad. So when I said "cold" I meant the above examples, not her overall attitude.

I felt so bad for Hiromi when she basically got chewed up by Shin's mom. I downright DESPISE Shin's mom for acting the way she did. Her apology helped a little, but not much in my eyes. Her behavior was downright pathetic, childish, and uncalled for. To go so far as to tell Hiromi a massive lie like she did just because of petty insecurity is absolutely unforgivable IMO. I mean, what was she thinking? Hiromi was incredibly mistreated and it amazes me that she endured it for as long as she did without snapping. So I am incredibly proud of Hiromi in that regard.

About Hiromi telling Noe to back off, I was more surprised than anything. Most of the time, such a statement is made in a less direct and overall nicer fashion. So it sort of stunned me when it came out blunt like that. I actually support this method in general, as it's pretty rare to see something like this, but I wish it didn't come at Noe's expense. I didn't think she fully deserved it. I admit my bias in regards to this scene lol .

Anyway, sorry for the long post guys, but I've been looking for a good anime forum to discuss this series in particular for a while. So I've been wanting to discuss this for some time lol.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 14:23   Link #82
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

You answer so many of your own questions as you continue talking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. Even though these two are sort of unique to the genre, I found some faults in them, as well. About Shin, I think his reason for chasing Hiromi was a bit weak IMO. Yeah, it's a nice reason on paper, but it just didn't resonate with me too well. Idk "I want to wipe away her tears" doesn't seem like a terribly strong reason to me. I guess that I don't think his reason was big enough for him to chase after her as strongly as he did. I'm probably going to be in the minority concerning this, but something seemed off to me. I also think Shin was a bit too dramatic in some cases. An example of this would be when he chased that truck with his bike. Hiromi was still going to go to the same school as Shin, yet he's chasing after the truck like she's going away forever. Again, I understand his reason, but I think he reacted a bit too rash in that situation.
He may have said he wanted to wipe away her tears, but he also had feelings for her for quite some time. And teenagers overreact.

Quote:
Noe, even though I adored her character greatly, had some key flaws as well. First off, she played around with Shin too much IMO. By the time she really buckled down and got serious, it was already too late. Now, one can argue that Noe acted the way she did because she wasn't sure that she loved him at the time. While this is a possibility, I don't agree with it. Even before Noe came to terms with her feelings for Shin, she already felt Jelousy when she saw Shin and Hiromi together. So I think her feelings were there in some form. Even after she realized that she loved Shin, she didn't immediatly take action. This slight delay hurt her chances IMO. Now, I know this criticizm is a minor one, but I thought it was worth bringing up. It was a shame, too, because Noe did in fact love Shin a great deal. I almost cried when she saw Hiromi and Shin together, then immediatly ran to the school chicken coop, frantically digging through the snow trying to find the oath shin made with the rocks. Of course it wasn't there, and looking back on that scene I realized that it may have been a bit symbolic. It represented Noe's chances. They started off bold and promising, but as time went by and as she lost control of the situation, her chances faded away. By the time Noe realized that her chances are dwindling, it was far too late. She made one last desperate effort (represented by her digging through the snow), at the end of that last ditch effort, however, she realized that no potential was left. This is just something I came up with, so I might be way off.
You are very perceptive. You're right on all counts.

Quote:
Another one of Noe's key faults is that she wasn't too keen on recognizing the feelings of other people. This happened not only with Shin, but with Noe's brother as well when she failed to recognize his incestuous feelings. This skill would have benefitted Noe greatly. There was an, albeit short, period of time where Shin had deeper feelings for Noe. If Noe would have picked up on this and adjusted her advances accordingly, who knows what would have happened. Even though I wanted Noe to win, I do realize that she had some issues that ultimately prevented her from doing so.
She was timid. I wouldn't call that a key fault. It was one thing that attracted Shin to her - she was forward with the strange things (leaving seeds through the school) but timid about the normal things (recognizing feelings).

Quote:
I know that Hiromi had some rather deep issues, and I actually sympathize with all of them. I mean, losing one parent is bad enough, but when you lose both of them like she did (I think), it can be unbelievably traumatizing. I can't imagine the pain she was going through and it's incredible that she acted as good as she did. Also, "Smiling through the pain" isn't neccisarily a bad thing. I think that approach is rather admirable, actually. Despite the intense pain you feel, you put on a smile to prevent you from "dragging everybody down" so to speak. But I realize that people handle emotions differently, so I am in no way blaming Hiromi for that.

What I meant by "cold" is the way in which she treated Shin and even Noe in some cases. For example, Hiromi went in to could shoulder mode on more than one occasion because she was upset that Shin was giving Noe a lot of attention. I know this is par for the course in this type of series but It rubbed me the wrong way nonetheless. I also didn't like the way she tried to befriend Noe to earn brownie points with her brother. I know this is a rather common situation in real life, but I don't approve of it. I think it's rather insulting to the person they're doing it to. I've been in Noe's situation before and it makes me mad. So when I said "cold" I meant the above examples, not her overall attitude.
She had a rough life. Both her and Noe did. Which is one of the themes, "tears." But everything she did was realistic and had motive - and that goes for all characters here. That's one thing I loved about this, you can justify everything, nothing comes out of left field.

Quote:
I felt so bad for Hiromi when she basically got chewed up by Shin's mom. I downright DESPISE Shin's mom for acting the way she did. Her apology helped a little, but not much in my eyes. Her behavior was downright pathetic, childish, and uncalled for. To go so far as to tell Hiromi a massive lie like she did just because of petty insecurity is absolutely unforgivable IMO. I mean, what was she thinking? Hiromi was incredibly mistreated and it amazes me that she endured it for as long as she did without snapping. So I am incredibly proud of Hiromi in that regard.
She was a bitch, lol. She let out her anger towards her husband & Hiromi's mother on Hiromi herself. She couldn't hate on the mother, so she hated on the daughter. It was good that they reconciled though.

Quote:
About Hiromi telling Noe to back off, I was more surprised than anything. Most of the time, such a statement is made in a less direct and overall nicer fashion. So it sort of stunned me when it came out blunt like that. I actually support this method in general, as it's pretty rare to see something like this, but I wish it didn't come at Noe's expense. I didn't think she fully deserved it. I admit my bias in regards to this scene lol .
Plus the location & setting was awesome. They were dressed so pretty.

Quote:
Anyway, sorry for the long post guys, but I've been looking for a good anime forum to discuss this series in particular for a while. So I've been wanting to discuss this for some time lol.
You've come to the right place. Welcome.

Speaking of the festival earlier, I always wish Shin did that little chicken thing for Noe. She deserved that much.
Old 2010-02-23, 15:06   Link #83
wingman32x

Quote:
You answer so many of your own questions as you continue talking...
Yeah, I read through my post again and realized I didn't plan it out too well. Sorry for rambling .

Quote:
He may have said he wanted to wipe away her tears, but he also had feelings for her for quite some time. And teenagers overreact.
I guess you're right, but I had a hard time reading his feelings at the very start of the series. Idk why, but I wasn't sure that Shin loved Hiromi at the time. I know teenagers overreact, but I thought that scene I mentioned was a bit overboard lol.

Quote:
You are very perceptive. You're right on all counts.
Really? Wow... I just sort of threw that anology out there so I'm kind of glad that it didn't turn out to be way off lol.

Quote:
She was timid. I wouldn't call that a key fault. It was one thing that attracted Shin to her - she was forward with the strange things (leaving seeds through the school) but timid about the normal things (recognizing feelings).
Fair enough, but it sure would have been advantageous had she have been able to recognize the feelings of others. She would have been a lot better off that way.

Quote:
She had a rough life. Both her and Noe did. Which is one of the themes, "tears." But everything she did was realistic and had motive - and that goes for all characters here. That's one thing I loved about this, you can justify everything, nothing comes out of left field.
Oh I agree with you there. But even so her behavior at times kind of bugged me.

Quote:
She was a bitch, lol. She let out her anger towards her husband & Hiromi's mother on Hiromi herself. She couldn't hate on the mother, so she hated on the daughter. It was good that they reconciled though.
I agree that it's good that they reconciled, but that didn't really change my opinion of the mother. She did earn some positive points at the end, but not nearly enough for me.

Quote:
You've come to the right place. Welcome.
Why, thank you! I am liking it here so far.

Quote:
Speaking of the festival earlier, I always wish Shin did that little chicken thing for Noe. She deserved that much.
I completely agree. But Shin was under the assumption that Noe wasn't there. And I don't think he saw her...
Old 2010-02-23, 15:44   Link #84
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I completely agree. But Shin was under the assumption that Noe wasn't there. And I don't think he saw her...
Was that why? I'll have to keep an eye out when I watch it again. I've watched it twice so far. I regret not watching it as it aired and being here, probably missed out on a lot of good discussion.
Old 2010-02-23, 15:53   Link #85
wingman32x

Quote:
Was that why? I'll have to keep an eye out when I watch it again. I've watched it twice so far. I regret not watching it as it aired and being here, probably missed out on a lot of good discussion.
Yeah, I don't think he ever saw her. Hiromi did though, that right there was a great moment art-wise. I know, I missed this series when it was new, too. I missed out on a lot of anime because up until recently I only read manga.
Old 2010-02-23, 16:31   Link #86
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think he ever saw her. Hiromi did though, that right there was a great moment art-wise. I know, I missed this series when it was new, too. I missed out on a lot of anime because up until recently I only read manga.
There were so many great moments with the visuals and art. I loved the kissing beach scene. That will forever be a classic.

Funny, I just started reading manga a year ago. Been watching anime for years, lol.
Old 2010-02-24, 03:54   Link #87
qwertyuiopz

its the most realistic anime ive watched so far
no typical miniskirts with panty shots or people with blue or green hair
the plot is really good and i can definitely say i have witnessed to the themes of heartbreak this anime touched on

though i have to say i dont like hiromi :@
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 12:29   Link #88
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
though i have to say i dont like hiromi :@
kinda funny how ppl develope to hate Hiromi or to like her :P
I've rarely seen anyone who "doesn't care" about her xD
either it's hate or love hahaha xD

well, yeah I kinda disliked her attitude and her actions in the ending, too

I liked Hiromi from the very beginning, where she was shy and were she had no courage at all

not becuz I like emos or something, but rather that these characteristics only applied to her if it comes to her "home" and private/love affairs.

in school she's a normal school girl.

I always thought that she was so adorable and that I would hold her hand the moment she would ask me hahaha xD

well, many ppl might see her development as a good thing, sure it's good when an anime character developes, but she developed the wrong way, later in the anime

she kinda became arrogant and toffee-nosed in the end, like telling Noe to backoff and then, in the end, rejecting Shin (or better said, trying to reject him)

that said, I outline that I like her, but that I didn't like her actions in the end :P so I kinda sympathy (just a bit) with u^^
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 16:58   Link #89
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I just watched it, again.

Truly, a great series. I did notice some flaws that I didn't see but they don't bother me because I love the series as a whole.

The one thing that bothered me is something that happens in Japan - suspended from school because of something that happened outside of school. That's such bull. And in this series, Hiromi & Jun didn't do anything wrong either. It's so stupid.
Old 2010-03-06, 22:56   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Having just finished my 2nd full viewing of the series, I'm going to recant my original belief that the series = while fantastic - slightly wavered in the second half. Watching with the fore-knowledge of events to follow, the last arc seemed completely true and honest and I wouldn't change a thing. I even found myself in suspense watching, though I knew in general what was about to happen. Some great series stand up to repeated viewing better than others, and this one was even better the second time around.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 23:10   Link #91
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Having just finished my 2nd full viewing of the series, I'm going to recant my original belief that the series = while fantastic - slightly wavered in the second half. Watching with the fore-knowledge of events to follow, the last arc seemed completely true and honest and I wouldn't change a thing. I even found myself in suspense watching, though I knew in general what was about to happen. Some great series stand up to repeated viewing better than others, and this one was even better the second time around.
So I guess this is how you've been coping with your Cross Game withdrawal True Tears is a pretty good series to fill the time though.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 23:24   Link #92
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
So I guess this is how you've been coping with your Cross Game withdrawal True Tears is a pretty good series to fill the time though.
Not precisely - though it helped with the withdrawal. I've adopted the habit or always having one of my favorite series and one older series I've never seen in my viewing rotation at any given time. I discovered classics like Seirei no Moribito and Dennou Coil through this "second chance" program, and it's always interesting to gauge my reaction to gems like True Tears and Oh! Edo Rocket the second time around.
Old 2010-03-06, 23:32   Link #93
DeX-kun

Quote:
Not precisely - though it helped with the withdrawal. I've adopted the habit or always having one of my favorite series and one older series I've never seen in my viewing rotation at any given time. I discovered classics like Seirei no Moribito and Dennou Coil through this "second chance" program, and it's always interesting to gauge my reaction to gems like True Tears and Oh! Edo Rocket the second time around.
I wish I had a list of my own but I usually just look at an anime series and if I'm feeling that particular genre then I go with it. I might try a method similar to yours soon though, I've been dry on series as of late.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-07, 00:34   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

When I posted my "Ten Best Recent Anime" thread over on the General Anime board I got an awful lot of great ideas from that. Hell, that was why I watched Moribito and that became my favorite series of all-time. I think if you scroll through the picks there you'd get some ideas that would pique your interest.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2010-03-07 at 01:52.
Old 2010-03-07, 00:45   Link #95
DeX-kun

Quote:
When I posted my "Ten Best Recent Anime" thread over on the Suggestions board I got an awful lot of great ideas from that. Hell, that was why I watched Moribito and that became my favorite series of all-time. I think if you scroll through the picks there you'd get some ideas that would pique your interest.
I might just do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-11, 22:43   Link #96
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
i would of loved to give this series a perfect 10 but i had to give it a nine. i did this because i thought that the last two episodes should have been more focused on Shinichiro and Hirosi and a bit less on everything else. but still a great series overall
Old 2010-03-12, 10:32   Link #97
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
i would of loved to give this series a perfect 10 but i had to give it a nine. i did this because i thought that the last two episodes should have been more focused on Shinichiro and Hirosi and a bit less on everything else. but still a great series overall
I agree with you there! We needed more Hiromi at the end. But I think they focused on Noe because she "lost," maybe? But yeah, I always wished there was at least and epilogue with Shinichirou & Hiromi.
Old 2010-03-14, 20:52   Link #98
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

isn't there going to be an extra episode somewhere for this. or am i confusing it with another series?

i've always greatly enjoyed this series. its criminally underrated because it doesn't follow the typical anime high school love triangle route. instead, it takes a more mature route, which is what i really like about it. plus, i shipped for Hiromi from the start (though i initially liked Ai the best), which made it all the more satisfying when i got that ending even through all the turmoil in the middle.

the series was packed with emotional moments from front to back and was wonderfully animated. with this and Canaan under their belts, i'm greatly anticipating PA Work's Angel Beats next season.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 20:59   Link #99
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
I agree with you there! We needed more Hiromi at the end. But I think they focused on Noe because she "lost," maybe? But yeah, I always wished there was at least and epilogue with Shinichirou & Hiromi.
i would love to see an epilouge in an OVA format about what has happened to all the character after the events of true tears and how they have all progressed with their relationships. i would be mainly keen for this just so i can see how Shinichirou and Hiroimi are going as a couple.
Old 2010-03-14, 21:20   Link #100
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
isn't there going to be an extra episode somewhere for this. or am i confusing it with another series?
I haven't heard or read anything.

Quote:
i've always greatly enjoyed this series. its criminally underrated because it doesn't follow the typical anime high school love triangle route. instead, it takes a more mature route, which is what i really like about it. plus, i shipped for Hiromi from the start (though i initially liked Ai the best), which made it all the more satisfying when i got that ending even through all the turmoil in the middle.
Yes. There was plenty of depth and character development. A cause and effect for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
i would love to see an epilouge in an OVA format about what has happened to all the character after the events of true tears and how they have all progressed with their relationships. i would be mainly keen for this just so i can see how Shinichirou and Hiroimi are going as a couple.
It would be most welcome indeed.