AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 12 28.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-10, 08:22   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
That's actually what I want to see the most now

Hopefully upcoming filler will cover it.
Agreed. This has a lot of comedic potential. I wonder if Kanata will even remain as Head of the Disciplinary Committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post

To be honest, I'm happy that Shou did not kill the family. I don't want him to taint his hand. What should happen is that some freak accident killed them all. For example, getting all killed by giant purple marbles... Indiana Jones style.
They should be like giant versions of those hair accessories that Haruka and Kanata wear. Picture-perfect poetic justice.
Old 2013-02-10, 09:26   Link #62
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Re: Sudden torrential rainstorms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In fairness, the Komari arc had something similar to this, but at least that was a little less out of nowhere.
Oh wow, suddenly the goofy weather kind of makes sense to me. As a VN, wouldn't all of the girls' routes happen over a similar timeline? Maybe the weather remains consistent in all routes, and that's why there's always a dramatic rainstorm just as things are getting heavy. Maybe it's the same storm! It's only because the anime is doing all routes in one shot that it seems so ridiculously contrived.
Old 2013-02-10, 10:46   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Re: Sudden torrential rainstorms

Oh wow, suddenly the goofy weather kind of makes sense to me. As a VN, wouldn't all of the girls' routes happen over a similar timeline? Maybe the weather remains consistent in all routes, and that's why there's always a dramatic rainstorm just as things are getting heavy. Maybe it's the same storm! It's only because the anime is doing all routes in one shot that it seems so ridiculously contrived.
I think I'll call it the Walpurgis Night storm then.
Old 2013-02-10, 11:45   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a very emotional episode. Great stuff. This anime has had its ups and downs, and for the first time I can say I'm glad I stuck with it.

In the end, I ended up liking Kanata a lot more than Haruka. Her personality appeals to me more than Haruka's and finding out she had always loved her sister and had suffered so much in order to protect her touched me. I even feel like she was the real heroine of the arc.

There are a couple of things that confused me, hopefully somebody can clear that up:

- Why did Kanata impersonate Haruka? I'm not sure what she was trying to pull here. Was she simply attempting to play the bad guy again?
- How come the parents were never allowed to take custody of their daughters? It's not like they had done anything wrong. Was there really no way for them to take them back? I know the Saigusa family is supposed to be powerful but they're not above all laws, are they?
- In relation to the above... how did Kanata manage to cut ties with the Saigusa family and go back to her parents so easily?

I think that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
The only question that I have is:

WHERE IS MIO THE ENTIRE EPISODE?

She didn't answer Riki's phone, and she wasn't even there when the Little Busters hand in hand with the twins to send the two off to see their parents!
Mio's mysterious absence was very weird, especially since her arc is already done. I'm sure this is going to be relevant since they drew attention to it. Maybe it's related to the secret of the world?
Old 2013-02-10, 16:12   Link #65
Haiprbim
Banned

It was an amazing episode, glad to see it end this well! :D
Old 2013-02-10, 17:04   Link #66
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It was probably a good thing that Riki had little participation to the resolution of the problem between Haruka and Kanata. The presence of a "paragon of justice" like Riki would only intensify the hate the two girls possess, and he may even contribute to the two being devoured by said hate. The only way for the two to take away this hate is by confronting the problem head on with each other. (Loving a person through hate is truly a painful thing.)
I agree Rikki been on the sides probably helped the part a lot it, made it feel really scene sincere and emotional to me, and on whole this was my favorite episode yet, and made me glad I decided to keep watching the show. Honestly I end up crying during their reconciling when Kanata started letting the truth of her side out, and Haruka realizing she hadn't even thought about how Kanata had it.

Quote:
2) Then don't have the weather be so nice at the end of last episode.

The weather goes from this to this in like a minute or two. Yes, thunderstorms can start suddenly, but there was no thunder or lightning during this torrential rainfall. So this weather change is a bit much.
You see you live in Canada, so I can understand your issues with this, but in places much closer to the equator this is more or less realistic weather, as personally I've experienced similar sudden torrential rain a number of times before so I didn't even think for a second take issue with it .
MAL
Old 2013-02-10, 17:06   Link #67
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about is what happens to the Disciplinary Committee after this. Most of the people on that really do hate Haruka (or at least strongly dislike her). They weren't faking it. Kanata being openly close to Haruka is no doubt going to be downright jaw-dropping to them, at least at first.
Haruka will probably cut back on the truly disruptive pranks since she's no longer trying to mess with Kanata so she's shouldn't really have too many run-ins with the Disciplinary Committee anymore. If any of the other member of the Disciplinary Committee want to continue unfairly harassing Haruka, I'm sure Kanata will put them in their place.
Old 2013-02-10, 17:19   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
You see you live in Canada, so I can understand your issues with this, but in places much closer to the equator this is more or less realistic weather, as personally I've experienced similar sudden torrential rain a number of times before so I didn't even think for a second take issue with it .
Interesting. I didn't know that rainstorms (other than thunderstorms) could start so suddenly in the United States.

I do note, though, that Japan's latitude is much closer to Newfoundland, Canada's than it is Florida, America's.

But honestly, it's not that big a deal to me. It's not one of my main reasons for having issues with this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Haruka will probably cut back on the truly disruptive pranks since she's no longer trying to mess with Kanata so she's shouldn't really have too many run-ins with the Disciplinary Committee anymore. If any of the other member of the Disciplinary Committee want to continue unfairly harassing Haruka, I'm sure Kanata will put them in their place.
That makes some sense, but I honestly hope it's more entertaining this this.
Old 2013-02-10, 17:29   Link #69
Kudryavka

Quote:
Japan's not even close to the equator. This is actually an example of moody weather changes.
Old 2013-02-10, 20:26   Link #70
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Japan's not even close to the equator. This is actually an example of moody weather changes.
Close to the equator Japan is a relative thing(compared to the North pole it is closer to the equator by a good margin) which means it has similar weather patterns; additionally islands, and peninsula are more prone to the sudden weather shifts because of weather influences from the sea/ocean affects more directions.

And yes it is that trope, but that doesn't make the weather unrealistic by default .

And this is last post I've leave on the weather of it since this is getting a bit offtopic.
MAL
Old 2013-02-11, 05:49   Link #71
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
And yes it is that trope, but that doesn't make the weather unrealistic by default .
I'm gonna laugh if the weather became a plot hole or point in this anime.

Anyway, definitely rushed, but it can't be helped. Another version of "Alicemagic" (which is the original one) get!
Old 2013-02-11, 05:53   Link #72
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Close to the equator Japan is a relative thing(compared to the North pole it is closer to the equator by a good margin) which means it has similar weather patterns; additionally islands, and peninsula are more prone to the sudden weather shifts because of weather influences from the sea/ocean affects more directions.

And this is last post I've leave on the weather of it since this is getting a bit offtopic.
No kidding... I experienced this all the time when it suddenly rains hard in a mostly sunny day. So, it is a truth in television.
Old 2013-02-11, 11:07   Link #73
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Even though Haruka's arc got a happy ending, I still don't like Kanata for being uptight and a jerk too... not to mention a poser for Haruka and a liar.

But seriously, who would thought that their family is so screwed up that they want to keep the twins and drive their parents away! That's is so cruel!
Old 2013-02-11, 12:20   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Even though Haruka's arc got a happy ending, I still don't like Kanata for being uptight and a jerk too... not to mention a poser for Haruka and a liar.
Honestly, Kanata's overall characterization is a tricky thing to me.

Going by all those mischievous grins she made over previous episodes, she seemed to enjoy playing the villain. Nonetheless, this episode alone would have you believe she thoroughly hated doing that and felt very sorry for it all. Of course, even the grins themselves could have been part of her act, but it's hard for me to swallow that someone could be that good of an actor while they're hating having to do "their performance".

I think that Kanata is a good person at heart, but I think there's a reckless and whimsical side to her. She's definitely a bit of a ham. Perhaps that's fitting given what Haruka herself is like.

Many people on this thread have compared Haruka unfavourably to her sister, but there is at least one strength Haruka has over her sister, imo. And that's Haruka is a very "what you see is what you get" kind of person. In real life, I'd probably be more comfortable around a very open person like Haruka than I would around the often faking it Kanata.
Old 2013-02-11, 12:21   Link #75
Enternal

Quote:
Even though Haruka's arc got a happy ending, I still don't like Kanata for being uptight and a jerk... not to mention a poser for Haruka and a liar.

But seriously, who would thought that their family is so screwed up that they want to keep the twins and drive their parents away! That's is so cruel!
Did you even watch the episode?! She specifically said that if she was not mean to Haruka, the family would kill Haruka. Going through all that, of course she would be uptight! She can never relax because if she does, either her or her sister would get hurt. She lied just so that Haruka believe there is something she can do better than Kanata. It is a lie out of love! She posed as Haruka because she wants to test whether Riki is sincere in saving Haruka. All of these is answered in this episode so it is not fair to pass judgement when the circumstances have been explained.

True that Haruka is what you is what you get. But like again, she has the leisure to do so. But yeah that is something that is good about her. Also when you act evil for so long, it sometimrs feel like you are evil. Fortunately she no longer has to do so. From now on, she can be true to her heart.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:00   Link #76
kitten320

Quote:

It doesn't look like you actually watched the episode... if Kanata was nice to Haruka, their family would kill Haruka.

What else did you want her to do? Don't forget that she is a teenager, there isn't much she could do on her own except choosing to be a bad guy in order to protect her beloved sister from getting murdered. She took all the blame and pain upon herself, I really don't see how you can hate her.

Now that she got a chance to escape from the family clutches, she told Haruka everything and is deeply sorry about hurting her. She couldn't forgive herself yet Haruka did. There is no reason for her to be mean anymore.

Besides Kanata was always nice to Kud behind the doors what means she was never really bad and as a child she did tell Haruka that they'll have to pretend to hate each other but one day they will find their parents.

She also lied about eggs so Haruka could feel happy about being superior at least in something. She also was against whole poster publication and tried to talk back to the family. In all honesty Kanata did quiet a lot to help Haruka in any way she could while being forced to be mean to her and suffering the beating up and isolation all this time while Haruka spent the last few years doing whatever she wanted.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:22   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
True that Haruka is what you is what you get. But like again, she has the leisure to do so. But yeah that is something that is good about her. Also when you act evil for so long, it sometimrs feel like you are evil. Fortunately she no longer has to do so. From now on, she can be true to her heart.
That's probably a good way of viewing it. After you wear a particular mask for so long, it becomes increasingly hard to tell what's the mask and what isn't.

In this sense, it's a good thing that Riki showed up when he did. Kanata might have truly lost herself, in a very profound way, if Riki hadn't interjected into the situation when he did.

I think he gave Kanata hope that things could be better, and that made Kanata decide that it was time to stop wearing the mask.

In some ways, Kanata is like Akemi Homura from Madoka Magica. Hiding her true feelings in order to protect a loved one. And developing an entirely new persona based on that.

To be fair, I do find Kanata a much more interesting character than Haruka. In fact, I find Kanata more interesting than most of the main cast of this show.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:29   Link #78
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I can't help but be underwhelmed how they simply cut so many things before and simply went their way out to the finish.
Truly a lackluster adaptation compared to Mio's arc.

Really, the main point of Haruka's route was indeed to have Haruka realized the whole point of finding one's own place in life, instead of longing for someone's else position, arguably ignoring everything that dwells from it. The problem with the adaptation is how much they have cut so far, and I guess it is time to expose what was missing in this mess (a point that would answer a question ThereminVox and others had before and right now.

Spoiler for Cut parts from Haruka's route:

What I disliked the most was how the pacing was all over the place, but also the weird music management of the episode. Particularly how Song for friends and Haruka Kanata were timed (especially the latter in the middle of Kanata's revelations, instead the moment Haruka's makes up with her).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
- I completely forgot that the kendo dude existed until the ED. Is he even playing baseball with them? Guessing he'll have his own little story at some point.
It is unfortunately the aftermath of their adaptation decisions, as they basically pushed Masato on the front (in a very flanderized fashion), and basically ignored some characters, especially Kengo.
And no, Kengo is not practicing Baseball with the LB because he has to focus on a kendo competition for his club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogMoogle1 View Post
Ya know, that scene when Kanata changed out of her wet clothes, I noticed her arms were pretty silky smooth compared to that scene where you see her entire body full of scars. Animation inconsistencies, or just that part of her arms weren't scarred?
Anime inconsistencies.

Quote:
This coming from a person who was brutally victimized by a decidedly harsh family rings a bit hollow to me.
Unfortunately, the message was supposed to be "it is no one fault I was born unhappy" or even "I was born unhappy", because the point was that Haruka's life was up to her, and not because she was "destined to be in such misfortune". The difference is a bit subtle, and you can argue that it is still the Saigusa and Futaki fault for this huge mess, but still fundamentally important for Haruka to realize she was born for no one's sake (such like a foil for Kanata), except her own.
Quote:
And, at a practical level, I don't even get what Haruka and Kanata plan to do going forward. It's like they expect that extremely controlling family to just disappear or something (they obviously won't take kindly to Haruka and Kanata being on good terms with one another). They clearly seem to be a powerful family, with their ability to withstand Dad No. 1's attempt to save Haruka and Kanata from them, and with their ability to have Haruka-smearing flyers put up all over the school. Their threat to kill Haruka may not be idle. I suppose this is one time Masato's muscles might be put to good use against an assassin.

And if this dark, abusive family aren't that powerful, why didn't Kanata leave them a long time ago to go back to her biological family rather than put up with their abuse? Was she just waiting for Dad No. 1 to get out of jail? If so, why didn't that come up?
That's a huge mistake from the anime scripters, alas.
If you don't know, I suggest you to read my summary just above regarding Haruka's family situation as of now. As for Kanata, no she didn't leave the Saigusa/Futaki household (that declaration shocked me big time, since there is no way she could do that).
Quote:
Also at a practical level, why didn't Kanata briefly meet with Haruka and explain to Haruka what was going on?
Actually, that was sort of hinted by Kyousuke, but since Haruka's characterization was cut extremely short, it doesn't look obvious:
Spoiler for Reason why Kanata didn't explain to Haruka her odd behaviour:

Quote:
Honestly, some of the logic and themes in this episode are very questionable, imo. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with a person wanting to know who their biological parents are.
It isn't wrong per se, but the message was actually more important: regardless who are you parent, you are "yourself". In a sense, knowing whose her real father was isn't going to change her life, and she realized that at the end.

Quote:
1) The beginning of this episode has inconsistencies with the end of last episode. Why is Kanata kneeling at the start of this episode? She was already standing at the cliffhanger for last episode.

2) Torrential rains come right out of nowhere when the general mood darkens in this show, as if completely on cue.
Agree. In fact, I don't get why they did that. It seems they forgot there was about to have a rainy scene and decided to correct that in a very hasty way.
Quote:
Kanata is an insanely good actress. At no point during her verbal lashings of Haruka did I think she was 100% faking it. I thought there might be a part of her that has sisterly affection for Haruka, and that Kanata was hiding this, but I never thought that Kanata's criticisms of Haruka were entirely fake and forced, as this episode now leads me to believe.
They didn't add any clues regarding that, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
- Why did Kanata impersonate Haruka? I'm not sure what she was trying to pull here. Was she simply attempting to play the bad guy again?
For your convenience, please read #17 in the spoiler summary above.
Quote:
- How come the parents were never allowed to take custody of their daughters? It's not like they had done anything wrong. Was there really no way for them to take them back? I know the Saigusa family is supposed to be powerful but they're not above all laws, are they?
The family realized that the other 2 were in "cahoots" with Shou, and even the problem is that the mother had a relationship with a "filthy" murderer-to-be guy.
It is implied that the family has political connections that would allow them to make the police "slide", or avoid complaints that they took custody of the twins.
Quote:
- In relation to the above... how did Kanata manage to cut ties with the Saigusa family and go back to her parents so easily?
She never cut ties with them originally. This is an anime original statement, which does -not- make sense.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-02-11 at 14:36.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:29   Link #79
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
There are a couple of things that confused me, hopefully somebody can clear that up:

Well since the others are busy talking about the weather, I'll give an attempt to answer at least this part.

It was actually one of the gripes I had in episode 17... There was a lot of anime original in the anime adaption of Haruka's arc, which is fine, I'm not against such a thing. However, by "sticking in" Kanata impersonating Haruka without providing the build up and without using the clues given in the previous episodes, it makes Kanata's impersonating seem pointless.

Spoiler for Kanata's reason for impersonating Haruka:

EDIT: lol Klash beat me and listed everything, oh well.

It's actually quite irritating for me that the clues were given to set up the impersonation events (it happens more than once), but they were all completely ignored for the rushed conclusion. Sure it ended very similar to the source, but it wasn't very satisfying for me. This arc needed one more episode to really make it stand out. Although, I admit, Kanata's confession (which I think was partially anime original, I don't quite remember) was done quite nicely.

Quote:
Honestly, Kanata's overall characterization is a tricky thing to me.

Going by all those mischievous grins she made over previous episodes, she seemed to enjoy playing the villain. Nonetheless, this episode alone would have you believe she thoroughly hated doing that and felt very sorry for it all. Of course, even the grins themselves could have been part of her act, but it's hard for me to swallow that someone could be that good of an actor while they're hating having to do "their performance".

I think that Kanata is a good person at heart, but I think there's a reckless and whimsical side to her. She's definitely a bit of a ham. Perhaps that's fitting given what Haruka herself is like.
Those "evil grins" were anime original for who knows what reason.... Kanata is actually suppose to be very sarcastic, which I felt was pretty cool, considering how well it was done. It's too bad the anime didn't portray her that way... But I do agree, I think she really is a good person at heart.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:39   Link #80
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
This arc needed one more episode to really make it stand out. Although, I admit, Kanata's confession (which I think was partially anime original, I don't quite remember) was done quite nicely.
Her confession was actually nearly 100% the same in the VN, with the exception of the hair ornament promise.