AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-23, 20:11   Link #1
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Now!

Oh ya, You have not been warned about the huge-ass pictures. Give negative rep for complaints, I welcome them .

Am I the only person that's been following this gem of a manwha?

Lets me summarize what this series is about... copied from the website(http://www.comicsone.com/manga/now/)

The legendary “Killing Art” of Sashinmu resurfaces and a mysterious cadre is hell-bent on claiming it from the few warriors charged with destroying the art before it can fall into the wrong hands. Our protagonists, Rin Yhun and Bi-Ryu find themselves at the heart of an age-old conflict. Rin is the daughter of a Sashinmu practitioner and Bi-Ryu is the grandson of the infamous North Star. After being driven to a state of madness by completing the art of Sashinmu, North Star slew over 100 fighters and then was mysteriously murdered.

United by fate, Rin and Bi-Ryu must decide, should the secrets of the Sashinmu be destroyed, or should they be mastered once again? Joined by Bi-Ryu’s tiger-girl companion, they plunge into the blood-soaked legacy their ancestors have left for them.

NOW is an exciting martial arts rollercoaster ride. It cleverly incorporates elements of Korean mythology, action and heart-warming themes, which appeal to the growing legions of manga fans. The action in NOW is beautifully rendered, and the relationships, which develop between the characters, are equally fascinating. NOW will take your breath away and leave you on the edge of each page. Sung-woo Park melds magic, martial arts and mystery for a stunning epic drama in NOW!.

here are some images...

Sisters

Chibi!

Upto 3 volumes have been translated and can be bought at your B&N/Borders or WaldenBooks!

Buy it now!!

Last edited by Slade; 2004-04-24 at 09:55.
Old 2004-04-23, 21:40   Link #2
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade (who copied from a site)
It cleverly incorporates elements of Korean mythology, action and heart-warming themes... The action in NOW is beautifully rendered, and the relationships, which develop between the characters, are equally fascinating. NOW will take your breath away and leave you on the edge of each page. Sung-woo Park melds magic, martial arts and mystery for a stunning epic drama in NOW!
This kinda sells it for me! Is it really like this? Is there some intellectual value in this show? (because it kinda reminds me of NGE).

Let me know because I happen to have 2 Borders gift cards I haven't used yet
Old 2004-04-23, 22:05   Link #3
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
This kinda sells it for me! Is it really like this? Is there some intellectual value in this show? (because it kinda reminds me of NGE).

Let me know because I happen to have 2 Borders gift cards I haven't used yet

I'm happy to answer any question you and anyone else might have for this series!

I don't want to spoil too much but you can see this series as having two main leads and it's told following these two most of the time.

First is

Bi-Ryu

He is the one who holds the secrets to the martial arts, Sashinmu and he led a rather harsh life and one day he met a legendary man... he decided that the only way to cleanse this world of murderers, he'd have to become a Sa-Shin(God of Death). He meets up with Rin(a rather goofy yet caring girl) and begins to change.

Yu-Se

Yu-Se is a good natured man who believes that a martial arts as strong as Sa-Shin-Mu should not exist in the world. He begins as a man with no ability, no power. He learns the hard way the way the world really is, cruel and unforgiving. While Bi-Ryu might be more of your typical hero Yu-Se walks the border between good and evil in order to atain the power to change the world.

While NGE is very out there in terms of all the religious symbolism, NOW stay in the topic of human nature... there is really good character development in NOW. Not to mention there's alot of comedy mixed with all the action. Safe to say, I recommend this manga without a hint of hesitation.

Oh ya, I suggest reading up to at least 3-4 volumes before giving judgement

EDIT- More pictures by request

Here are some other characters...
Bi-Ryu

Rin

Cho-Ryoung

Bi-Ryu and Rin, New years style

Bi-Ryu in his Sa-Shin state

I forget... he's a big bad-ass though

North-Star(based on a legendary man)

Last edited by Slade; 2004-04-23 at 22:45.
Old 2004-04-24, 05:27   Link #4
Spooky-Electric

It's too bad this manga is being published backwards (left-to-right). I've wanted to check this out but I really hate supporting backwards released manga, and a lot of manga lately are getting re-released properly these days so I might just wait.
Old 2004-04-24, 09:20   Link #5
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
It's too bad this manga is being published backwards (left-to-right). I've wanted to check this out but I really hate supporting backwards released manga, and a lot of manga lately are getting re-released properly these days so I might just wait.
Actually this is a Korean manga and it was originally made to be read left-to-right(I'm fairly certain unless I've completely lost my memory) so there won't be a re-release. So I'd say there's no point in waiting, check it out now .

Oh ya, since this series comes from Korea, I should call it Manwha, not manga.

Last edited by Slade; 2004-04-24 at 09:54.
Old 2004-04-24, 12:58   Link #6
Avi
HeNta| ArmY WinG-Comman.

Send a message via MSN to Avi Send a message via Yahoo to Avi
Now! looks rly interesting, im gonna have to try it out... I dont Read Manga nor Manwha much , but i have more Manwha then Manga
Old 2004-04-25, 01:07   Link #7
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi
Now! looks rly interesting, im gonna have to try it out... I dont Read Manga nor Manwha much , but i have more Manwha then Manga
Yup Yup, it's good stuff. It seems a few of the members have started to read it already! Which I think is great

I failed to mention before, they have some sample pages you can read at http://www.comicsone.com/manga/now/ if you're really skeptical.

I say you should just go down to your local Waldenbooks(their manga/manwha section is growing each day, it's quite huge already) or borders and read a bit of it yourself! I mean there's only 3 volume out at the moment so at 10 bucks each, it's kinda like buying 1 anime dvd

Oh and there is actually a series that came before NOW which was called "Chun Rang Yer Jehn"(it sounds better if you know korean) and it's the story of Rin and sister's parents and their story which is also quite good. Unfortunately it hasn't been translated but with your support of NOW, I'm sure they will pick it up as a prequel. So go out and support some good Manwha
Old 2004-04-25, 21:19   Link #8
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Double post? I think I haven't posted here long enough for it not to be a double-post.

More artwork by request: now stoping bothering me about it

Rin and her Heaven Moutain Sword

School Rin and Ran

Bi-Ryu/Symbol

Chibi-Ran

Bi-Ryu again. Why? Because he's cool damn it.

It's hard to find "NOW" artwork online, I'll post some more when I find them.
Old 2004-04-26, 21:02   Link #9
user8047
Disabled By Request

how many eps r out out of how many r gonna come out, and where can i d/l this?
Old 2004-04-26, 21:09   Link #10
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

Send a message via AIM to Key Send a message via MSN to Key
It isn't an anime... it's a manhwa (Korean comic). ^^;

And those pictures are so... nice. Waa, more more kudasai. @.@
Old 2004-04-26, 21:32   Link #11
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
After getting my Teen Titans/Birds of Prey/Nightwing comic fix, I was looking for a new comic to read, never read a korean comic before, artwork looks REAL nice. I'll see if my store is holding it.
Old 2004-04-26, 22:44   Link #12
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
After getting my Teen Titans/Birds of Prey/Nightwing comic fix, I was looking for a new comic to read, never read a korean comic before, artwork looks REAL nice. I'll see if my store is holding it.
Good . You should be able to find it in any borders/waldenbooks! In fact, you can even buy it online via www.amazon.com

Thanks for answering the above question for me as well, I wasn't around.

Even more artwork by request!

Rin&Bi Ryu and Ran&Yu Se

I was thinking about making a signature with this one because it's nice but I can't hog them all I suppose Up for grabs.

Yu Se!

not enough pictures around of this guy. He's just as interesting as Bi Ryu, if not more.

Shirt-less Bi-Ryu for all you ladies out there
Old 2004-04-27, 16:53   Link #13
I)ark-I)eath
EnI)eR I)ark I)eath

hmm im curious here...whats the genre of this manga?

well it looks obvious its got action

does it have romance and comedy?

and how many volumes are there? and are out?

Last edited by I)ark-I)eath; 2004-04-27 at 18:24.
Old 2004-04-27, 19:45   Link #14
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)ark-I)eath
hmm im curious here...whats the genre of this manga?

well it looks obvious its got action

does it have romance and comedy?

and how many volumes are there? and are out?

3 Volumes are currently out and there are currently up to 13 out in Korea and still going. (Thanks to Key for update )

It's got very good action, alot of comedy and a bit of romance(not too much but the subliminal relationships are there and growing each volume) .

What I like about the romance in this series is that it's not one of those "HOLY CRAP I JUST MET YOU AND I'M TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH YOU!!!" It's a gradual thing as they experience many things together and overcome hardships while supporting each other which I think makes more sense.

Rin supports Bi Ryu in a way that tames Bi Ryu's murderous nature while Ran acts as a witness(for lack of a better term) to Yu Se's change as he starts to turn his back on what is right to gain power. It's a nice balance that will become apparent as the next few volumes are released... Safe to say, there are massive amounts of character developments in this manwha(I should know, I've read up to volume 11 in korean I just collect it in english so I can show more people). I can't waittttt for volume 4. It's gonna be crazy

Last edited by Slade; 2004-05-02 at 21:53. Reason: New Volume out in Korea!
Old 2004-04-28, 12:07   Link #15
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Hey Slade, mind telling us a bit more about the manga? I've read volume 1-2 previously and my interest is piqued. Character designs are simple but beautiful. Who's Ran?

My fave character is Yu Se. -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-04-28, 12:29   Link #16
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie
Hey Slade, mind telling us a bit more about the manga? I've read volume 1-2 previously and my interest is piqued. Character designs are simple but beautiful. Who's Ran?

My fave character is Yu Se. -_-
Spoiler for those you who have not read volume 3 and it goes a bit deeper into Yu Se's character.
Spoiler:

I'm glad you find this series interesting as I do and I suggest you go pick up volume 3 which is out now(Yu Se on the cover) . Volume 4 should be released in a few months as well, I'll be sure to post exactly when, when I have the date.

Last edited by Slade; 2004-04-28 at 20:23.
Old 2004-04-29, 03:14   Link #17
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade

Shirt-less Bi-Ryu for all you ladies out there
Ok this was the selling point for me! I'm so easily pursuaded like that!

Well after Slade-san's notable and incessant promotion of the manhwa NOW! (just look above me!), I decided to pick it up during my monthly rounds at Walden's. (they love me there ) It was either NOW or Angel Sanctuary...to all Yuki fans, I know... what was I thinking!? But I trust my sempai's judgment, so I bought it.

Read the first 2 volumes and was quite impressed. These are the kind of comics that make me realize why I love manhwa. The art is simple yet beautiful, the action is awesome (Bi-Ryu looking all cool-like), originality, and the characters are interesting, if not funny! Rin is so cute! ^_^ And I like the historical/mythological background to it. (One of the reasons I enjoy reading Ragnarok). I'll have to read it a bit more to be able to put it up there with Demon Diary, REbirth, and Ragnarok, but I'll definately be checking this one out. No doubt this will be a series I'll come to love as I read more. I'm a sucker for these kind of comics...lots of action/comedy with a hint of romance!

Thanx Slade-san for getting me into another series. (The list grows!)

And shelling out an additional 10 bucks every month. The Walden ppl will be so happy!
Old 2004-04-29, 06:07   Link #18
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Damn , went to the local comic book store and they dont have vol 3 yet. Guess it'll take some time to come over here -_-.

Spoiler:

Old 2004-04-29, 09:09   Link #19
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru
Ok this was the selling point for me! I'm so easily pursuaded like that!

Well after Slade-san's notable and incessant promotion of the manhwa NOW! (just look above me!), I decided to pick it up during my monthly rounds at Walden's. (they love me there ) It was either NOW or Angel Sanctuary...to all Yuki fans, I know... what was I thinking!? But I trust my sempai's judgment, so I bought it.

Read the first 2 volumes and was quite impressed. These are the kind of comics that make me realize why I love manhwa. The art is simple yet beautiful, the action is awesome (Bi-Ryu looking all cool-like), originality, and the characters are interesting, if not funny! Rin is so cute! ^_^ And I like the historical/mythological background to it. (One of the reasons I enjoy reading Ragnarok). I'll have to read it a bit more to be able to put it up there with Demon Diary, REbirth, and Ragnarok, but I'll definately be checking this one out. No doubt this will be a series I'll come to love as I read more. I'm a sucker for these kind of comics...lots of action/comedy with a hint of romance!

Thanx Slade-san for getting me into another series. (The list grows!)

And shelling out an additional 10 bucks every month. The Walden ppl will be so happy!
Great Kaoru-chan. I'm glad you like it! Trust me, it does get better with time

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie
Damn , went to the local comic book store and they dont have vol 3 yet. Guess it'll take some time to come over here -_-.

Spoiler:

They'll have it at borders and waldenbooks only, the new ones are exclusively sold there .

Info on Yu Se and Ran's relationship

Spoiler:

I tried to put as little specific detail in there as possible because I didn't want to ruin the storyline completely. You really need to read volume 3 because it's all about Ran and Yu Se and barely on Bi Ryu and Rin.

Last edited by Slade; 2004-04-29 at 12:44.
Old 2004-04-29, 10:47   Link #20
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Ah well, guess my local borders hasn't gotten it yet then -_- Damn.

Closed Thread