AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-17, 11:27   Link #2401
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, for once Synergy SP is the one doing the anime adaptation this time. On their previous works were they are forced to out the anime midway through the adaptation they do have the guts to just leave an open, to be continued anime opening. In the case of Zettai Karen Children they are going to continue it through a series of OVA episodes.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 22:34   Link #2402
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Huzzah for Subsmith! You guys might have set your speed record this week.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 22:38   Link #2403
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Gah I'm using my mobile wireless in class right now. Bad signal so I can't download and watch during lunch break. URRRRGGHH!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 00:21   Link #2404
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Go, Koshien:
Old 2010-01-18, 00:43   Link #2405
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

my birthday is june 25th too , finally someone with the same birthday as me
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 01:01   Link #2406
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

"Are you still buying presents for Wakaba?"
"Nah, I've stopped."

Man, Kou is a big a fat LIAR. And he does it without so much as blinking...

And I'm liking the ED more and more. Her voice to be honest sucks, but something about it really jives with me. The enthusiasm? The likeness to Honey and Clover OP's singer? I dunno, but it might just be my favourite ED for CG.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 02:09   Link #2407
Proto

Not a bad episode by any means, but I sure felt as if someone had pressed the fast forward button or something.
Old 2010-01-18, 03:13   Link #2408
Theowne
耳をすませば

This episode had its share of good moments. Certainly one for those complaining about pacing.

The broken record nature of my comments is probably getting annoying, but I'm still a little wary of the scenes invoking Akane as Wakaba version 2. Like Kou's mom saying the sisters had been reunited, or Aoba saying she'd only let Akane sleep in her bed. I dunno, I guess this is just some peculiar quirk that's always going to hang over this series for me. But the scene in the bedroom sure was a nice one, even if its a bit strange when Akane tells Aoba that Wakaba loved them. I also thought the scene at the grave was really nice, particularly the way it related Kou with Aoba's father and their common experience of losing the person closest to them.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 06:14   Link #2409
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
This episode had its share of good moments. Certainly one for those complaining about pacing.

The broken record nature of my comments is probably getting annoying, but I'm still a little wary of the scenes invoking Akane as Wakaba version 2. Like Kou's mom saying the sisters had been reunited, or Aoba saying she'd only let Akane sleep in her bed. I dunno, I guess this is just some peculiar quirk that's always going to hang over this series for me. But the scene in the bedroom sure was a nice one, even if its a bit strange when Akane tells Aoba that Wakaba loved them. I also thought the scene at the grave was really nice, particularly the way it related Kou with Aoba's father and their common experience of losing the person closest to them.
It's pretty interesting to note the characters who still think of Akane as a 'Wakaba 2' and the characters who have acknowledged her as a unique individual. Ironically, those closest to Wakaba seem to have accepted Akane as her own person the quickest. And I think that part of the transition from the former status to the latter is helped along by association with Akane. Obviously Kou is in category 2 at this point, along with Ichiyo and Momiji. Kou, after his date with Akane is quite aware of the differences between the two. Momiji and Ichiyo, after the initial shock of seeing her, don't treat her like seeing a ghost.

I think with this episode, Aoba may have crossed that threshold also. Letting Akane sleep in Wakaba's bed may seem like Aoba is treating her like other people are, but I see it as a necessary step to acceptance. It's a far cry from the last time when Akane was in that room. Their conversation during the game of catch makes it clear that while Aoba compares Akane to Wakaba, she doesn't treat her as Wakaba re-incarnate.

In some ways Akane is very much like Wakaba -- she's quite smart and fairly observant of people and things (I like how the animators are constantly giving her the 'observer' look, especially when she's watching Aoba and Kou interact, probably playing up the artist trait in her). While physically she's not at Wakaba's level, she's at least decent at playing catch. She's also very friendly and well liked by the people around her. But personality wise, she's pretty different from Wakaba as some people here may have pointed out. Wakaba was very upfront about her feelings (as is Akane), but much more proactive in her relationships, particularly with Kou and Aoba. OK, she's downright bossy. Akane on the other hand, is more passive. With the stalker incident, I can imagine Wakaba confronting the guy (like Aoba) while I have a hard time seeing Akane doing the same thing. Yeah, there was that earlier incident with the creep and his hired thugs, but since Aoba intervened, we'll never know how Akane would have handled that situation alone.

And I agree that the grave scene with Kou and Mr. Tsukishima was a highlight of the episode. Just like Junpei and Aoba's conversation in episode 40. It's interesting to compare and contrast the relationships of these characters. Junpei and Ichiyo vs. Yuuhei and Aoba. Kou and Wakaba vs. Mr. and Mrs. Tsukishima. Kou and Wakaba vs. Akaishi and Wakaba. Even Wakaba vs. Akane.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 08:02   Link #2410
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I think the approach to such an old and mostly misused narrative - the dead-ringer, lookalike or whatever you might want to call it - works wonders, here. Akane isn't a radically different character, simply presented the same. She shares some of the basic characteristics and behavioral traits, but when you stop and bother to look, she's her own character. And that's actually quite refreshing.

Hence, the difficulty some characters have to separate her from Waka. But, in time, I'm sure they'll manage to do just that.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 09:41   Link #2411
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it's only natural that the ones closest to Akane - Kou and Aoba especially, Kou most especially - have had the easiest time seeing her as Akane, and not Waka-chan 2.0. By interacting daily they see the small quirks that are unlike the girl they knew. Interestingly, there's a generational factor at play here too - it's Kou's parents and especially Tsukishima-san who seem to have the hardest time seeing the truth and not the fantasy. In part because they spend less time with Akane, no doubt, but maybe not in total - after all, Inchi-nee and Momiji don't spend any more time with Akane and yet seem to have an easier time separating fantasy from reality.
Old 2010-01-18, 10:00   Link #2412
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oddly enough, none of the scenes really made an impression on me, a rare oddity for this series where there is always one scene per episode that leaves it's mark, but I guess it's more due to the doped-up pacing then anything else.

I do like the fact that Akane and Aoba are a lot closer now. Letting her sleep on the bottom bunk (can't remember if that's Wakaba's bed) is a big step forward, and of course their conversation really gave a lot of light into how the two can relate to each other. Of course, tone-wise I felt there was a big change between how Aoba was talking and to when she asked her to stop talking about Wakaba and Kou and who likes who, like a rise in pitch with a softer tone and voice volume, as if she's holding back some degree of emotion that might have come out if Akane continued. Could we say that she found it rather uncomfortable/emotional to speak of love like that? We know she's clearly repressive of her feelings most of the time, but for me I think this is the first time I've heard her loose her cool regarding Kou and the touchy subject of love. It seems to affect her THAT much.

Of course I have to mention the grave scene. It's a nice contrast between generations who were close to the same person but express it in different ways. However, young or old, male or female, death affects everyone the same way: intimately.

My favorite scene of course was the massage. Actually, what Aoba said to Kou despite him falling asleep. Honestly I think she really didn't have to tell him what Akane said, and AFAIK it's not like she asked her to tell him, but even then she felt the need to explain that Akane seems to like them equally, which in turn suggests she doesn't exactly look at Kou the same way Wakaba did. Personally Akane should have been the one to tell Kou how she felt about him, but Aoba told him anyway. It tells me that perhaps, in more ways than we are seemingly told, Aoba finds relief that Akane feels differently and Aoba thinks Kou should straighten things out with Akane.

Perhaps Aoba's... happy?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 10:21   Link #2413
CWW
Lurker

Noooooooooooooo. Akane isn't born on the same day as me.

When the quiz showed up, I was like "woah, it'd be awesome if the answer was B". Fate has mocked me yet again.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 11:08   Link #2414
satomianzaki

i really loved the kou and aoba moments...

i think i'm gonna cry if those two don't get together in the end...just kidding...
but seriously, really hope so...

cross game is really good...looking forward to the next episodes...
satomianzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 11:50   Link #2415
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
they took one thing out,i really missed that.
I had forgotten about that scene in the manga and I agree; it is really unfortunate they took it out. Especially because it hints that...
Spoiler for a scene removed in the anime adaptation:

They probably cut it out for time reasons. Another negative consequence of trying to adapt so many scenes in one episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Oddly enough, none of the scenes really made an impression on me, a rare oddity for this series where there is always one scene per episode that leaves it's mark, but I guess it's more due to the doped-up pacing then anything else.
There were almost too many valuable scenes in a single episode.

* The grave scene.
* The birthday cake "competition" between Aoba and Akane (and Kō finishing Aoba's pie).
* The slightly expensive ear-rings.
* Aoba interrupting Akane.
* The T-shirt remark¹.
* the massage talk.

As a result, each scene's impact is reduced. I think it hurts the overall quality of the episode. They did a much better job at pacing these at the beginning of Akane's story arc. It works well in the manga because usually, each big moment / strong scene has its own dedicated chapter.

Quote:
I do like the fact that Akane and Aoba are a lot closer now. Letting her sleep on the bottom bunk (can't remember if that's Wakaba's bed)
It is Wakaba's bed.

¹ That was actually a surprisingly devious/evil remark from Akane, especially when shot right after the poor Aoba lost her composure when Akane approached the "true feelings" topic a bit too close. I felt like watching a predator toying with its pray. That girl is dangerous.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 11:54   Link #2416
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Wow. Amazing episode. Some problems with pacing and tempo as mentioned, but still pretty good.

Things that stood out to me:

Aoba is becoming aware of her own feelings for Kou. She was actually flirting with him (in a very Aoba type way). And she moved to block Akane and Kou getting closer during the ladder incident. Not normal behavior. It must be a weird role reversal for her who used to try and keep Wakaba and Kou separate because she wanted Wakaba for herself. Now she's keeping Akane and Kou apart because she wants Kou for herself. I don't think she fully knows what to do or how to handle it.

Notice how she tried to feel out what Kou's feeling for Akane are, and it was only after he said "too much like Wakaba" that she felt safe enough to reveal that Akane loves him. Of course there was more than reassurance going on, it was also that Kou's comment united them again on the one thing that has always been a area of agreement for them: Wakaba. I think Aoba also is feeling the "Akane is too much like Wakaba" stress, and Kou is the only person she can talk to about that. Interesting that Akane, just by existing, is creating a greater intimacy between Kou and Aoba.

And how was Kou acting? Was he just trying to be nice to Azuma? He was quite... Kou-ish this episode.

The grave scene was the amazing. He and Mr Tsukishima being able to relate like that- Kou really loved Wakaba. Although I'm worried about Kou. Still buying the gifts for Wakaba as a way of grieving is okay I think, but for some reason now Kou feels the need to conceal it. That can't be healthy. Truthfully, I've started to feel that the story can't end with Koshien. It can only end when Kou turns 20 and he decides what to do with the engagement ring. Until then the story will not be over.

(I'm starting to wonder if Kou will end up with no one because he just can't let Wakaba go- it's one of the reasons why I still think that Aoba has the best chance with Kou. I think she's the only girl he could get with where he wouldn't have to give up Wakaba).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2010-01-18 at 12:04.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 11:54   Link #2417
Proto

@pace issues...
Well, it seems they will slow down next episode, and from the signs of it maybe they will give some closure to the female baseball subplot line.
Old 2010-01-18, 12:04   Link #2418
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Will it really avoid the pacing issue, though? If they want to bring a closure to the anime-original stuff (the female baseball subplot, the bigger spotlight on Nakanishi's girlfriend etc.) as hinted in the preview, they might have to cram in a lot of info in episode #42.

I still can't see how the hell they could adapt the rest of the manga in just 9 episodes.

[edit] I just noticed they also removed the PG-13 sexual innuendos in the massage scene. Although I guess this is because the anime runs at 10:00am and is mainly aimed at young kids.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 12:26   Link #2419
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post

[edit] I just noticed they also removed the PG-13 sexual innuendos in the massage scene. Although I guess this is because the anime runs at 10:00am and is mainly aimed at young kids.
Uhhh I missed that scene too.

For people who'd like to see KouxAoba's PG scene.
Spoiler for It's PG!!:
Old 2010-01-18, 14:56   Link #2420
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
I had forgotten about that scene in the manga and I agree; it is really unfortunate they took it out. Especially because it hints that...
Spoiler for a scene removed in the anime adaptation:

They probably cut it out for time reasons. Another negative consequence of trying to adapt so many scenes in one episode.
I wanna see! What chapter do I have to read?

I am afraid Kou x Aoba might never happen. I don't think Aoba will do anything after what Wakaba told her (not to take him from her) and she might just step away for Akane. I think Akane on the other hand knows how Aoba feels. What is Akane doing? Is she trying to take Wakaba's place? Reminds me of that fate talk she had with Kou. Does she want Kou x Aoba to happen?... the way she tells Aoba to be honest with herself And then the cake thing. She definitely likes Kou. She is such a mystery. Because I am quite sure she realises Kou and Aoba are more than friends to each other. What does she want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Has Synergy SP said anything about this ending at 51 or 52 episodes, or is it going for another year?
Could they end the anime and manga together or is the anime still really behind? It is going to be about 52 episodes for sure? Can't it be like 75 or 76 episodes :P Again what chapter are we on?

And since my post got ignored I'll ask again Any news about the soundtrack? 41 episodes and nothing I am worried they will never release it

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
Uhhh I missed that scene too.

For people who'd like to see KouxAoba's PG scene.
Spoiler for It's PG!!:
thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's tempting, though i have a lot going on so i'll just be watching five episodes a day. Shall be upto date by next week.

May talk about the episodes i watched, because wow those first three episodes are something else.
lol I don't think so. I had planned to watch 2 episodes or less a day and I ended up watching all of it in 2 days. Now I get only 1 ep a week
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports