AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-09, 23:37   Link #661
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
I'm sure many of us have seen the OP here.
Just taking an informal tally: Is there anyone who'd like to do the dance in the OP?
Would I like to? Yes.
Would I ever actually do it? NO WAY.

I might pay to see cute girls doing it, though.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 00:13   Link #662
CrYsYs
殺害

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
I'm sure many of us have seen the OP here.
Just taking an informal tally: Is there anyone who'd like to do the dance in the OP?
I would so do the dance from the OP if I had a camera (practicing)....I've yet to record myself doing the haruhi ED (pretty much perfected) D:
CrYsYs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 00:36   Link #663
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I just watched the Sleeping Forest sub. Nothing to complain about with the subbing itself, especially considering the speed at which it came out. Kudos to SF for their speed-sub!

I can understand why people didn't care for it. The source material wasn't that exciting (although it improves with time, the anime isn't there yet). It was moderately funny, in my opinion, but the timing wasn't right to accentuate the humor.

It's not uncommon that a show takes a bit of time to really hit it's pace or timing, but I haven't seen one that misses the mark in the odd way that Lucky Star did for its first episode. In my opinion, it got the overall pacing right, which seems to be the hardest for a lot of shows, but the comic timing wasn't there for the most part. The timing provided glosses over many of the "punchlines" from the original (quotes used because the original humor wasn't meant to be funny in the way most punchlines are) and instead seems to focus on the more mundane elements of conversation, and the length and placement of many of the funnier "reaction" scenes are a bit off, as well.

I personally found it funny, but the reaction some people had makes sense. It is something that will almost certainly improve, though, as is the case with most any show, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. The seiyuu did excellent jobs, especially Hirano Aya. I think that job will improve as the timing does, allowing them to voice the characters more naturally. They sound a bit young sounding to interpret as high school students--and that statement comes after a lifetime of hearing high-pitched voices, young sounding voices for high school girls in anime. I don't think that will hurt my enjoyment of the series, though.

The Lucky Channel segment, though, was firing on all cyllinders. Pure awesome. I do wonder, though, who dropped the ball timing the rest of the episode. Everything else KyoAni has done to date has had remarkably amazing timing.

My verdict: Not bad, but nothing special, but I expect it to take a tremendous rise in quality with improvement of the timing and progression into the better parts of the manga.
Old 2007-04-10, 00:43   Link #664
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
My verdict: Not bad, but nothing special, but I expect it to take a tremendous rise in quality with improvement of the timing and progression into the better parts of the manga.
Actually, the manga story remains pretty low tension like this all the time. It's true the materials do get more interesting as more characters are introduced (and there are quite a few characters, Nanako-sensei >ヮ<), but I can tell you right now that you're probably not going to see any extreme developments in this anime. Lucky Star is a very laid-back story about a bunch of slightly-to-extremely eccentric girls and their average daily lives (mostly through talking).

For some people, the looseness provides a good change of pace for people who need a break from all those serious mangas and animes, but if you're looking for an anime with a properly structured story, this is probably not what you're looking for.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 01:07   Link #665
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
Wow, its sound so demonic... I like it... The dance looks like something voodo also...

On the topic of curry, I like to have in on rice AND noodles and hot sauce...

On another topic, I would like an avatar request where Konata repeatedly punches the foreigner... Just have it regularly punch it... Don't really have to get all of Mr. Foreigner...
Perfect! Exactly the thing I need!

*runs off to practice dance*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Would I like to? Yes.
Would I ever actually do it? NO WAY.

I might pay to see cute girls doing it, though.
How much? How much?
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 01:09   Link #666
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
For freaking huge:

Spoiler:

Here's an example of 4Koma style comedy. This makes sense to me and is a funny look at the way the characters are in a game. It's subtle humour aimed at poking fun at the conventions of Super Robot characters. You either get it or you don't. It's the same way with Lucky Star, either you get what the characters are going through and laugh at the observational slice of life everyday bizarrness presented in a Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld like style or its like "Who Cares?.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:05   Link #667
ZODDGUTS

Just saw the first episode it was alright but it wasn't as good I was thought it would be. The begging with the dialog about the food was rather boring I didn't laugh nor chuckle it had me yawning. After that though it did get better love the scene with the pink her girl outside a store nervously thinking if she should get contacts lenses or not it was both cute and funny. And the street fighter reference was awesome.

Overall it was a decent episode though I do hope it does get better.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:34   Link #668
tritoch

Ep 1 was funny in all the wrong places- which makes it a 10/10 for me
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:42   Link #669
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I really liked it. This was one of my most anticipated series this season, and it delivers in all the right ways for me. ^^
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 03:49   Link #670
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A reasonably interesting 1st ep, though i would be lying if i would say i wasn't expecting more. It was moderately funny - meaning i didn't laugh, but at least i had a smile(or a grin) on my face for almost all of the ep. I think the best one was when Kagami asked Konata how does she know the contents of a H-game and the "Those are not weak points - it is Moe!"

Animation works for me - i think it fits the show better than a Kanon v2.0 would, and it is very fluid, so no complains here.

Overall it was not as funny as i had expected, but it was entertaining, and the interactions between the characters seem interesting enough, so i will keep watching.

Overall conclusion - OP is better than the series itself

Last edited by Skyfall; 2007-04-10 at 04:19.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 04:14   Link #671
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Episode 1. My expectations on Lucky Star were set on a 3/5 scale, from "above average" to "good", because even if it's KyoAni, I'm aware of how tricky can be a anime conversion of a 4 koma series.

Said this, even with reasonably medium expectations, episode 1 remained below them. If I have to dissection on the various parts: I found the part about the food interesting for the first two minutes, but then extremely boring, with increasing boredom for each minutes it went ahead. Better when the focus moved on Miyuki and on the "what's the difference between cold and influenza?" matter. Cute on the part when Kagami got visited, and then quite so so again in the final talking in the class. Nothing special also in the karaoke sequence (except "how the heck does she know this song ? " ^^)

Two outstanding sequences though: that of the foreigner and that of Lucky Channel (the latter was the only one that made seriously crack up).

On the OP, I think that always have already been said, anyway I found it brilliant and with an highly addictive theme, other than for the animated sequence. Not at Hare Hare Yukai levels of brilliancy, but it might reach the same notoriousness.

Animation part got the feeling of the saving budget (especially on the karaoke scene), but really, there isn't such a need of a Kanon-like , Air-like or Clannad-like animation here.
Good works from the seiyuus, finally Hirano Aya in a sort of new role, although Endo Aya was the one I enjoyed the most in episode 1, as Miyuki.
And I'm looking forward for Patricia Martin's performance, aka my beloved Sasaki Nozomi.

In conclusion, as someone mentioned, I think that this show will need a bit more "movement" in the future, because if they'll continue to be just dialogues over dialogues, I figure it difficult for it to keep a reasonably decent interest, at least to my eyes. But somehow, I'm quite confident, especially when the other characters will be introduced. (and also because, as far as I'm concerned, KyoAni's episodes 1 never speak truth about the actual series).

If there was a poll, all considered it was a 7 from me.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-04-10 at 12:19.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 04:31   Link #672
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Hirano Aya: Tired of her voice. Next overrated seiyuu, step up please.
Op: There is nothing epic about this except how epic-ly retarded it is.
Actual Content: Very good.

Personally, I hate eating waffle cones. I hate it when you eat popsicles and you get that square bit at the end and part of it falls off. I thought the cold and influenza were the same for a very long time. I didn't do sports in HS because I had to be home on weekends to speed fansub a show. However, I don't think that all of that equates to humor. It's more like slice of life.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 05:40   Link #673
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

man i cant get enough of the opening sequence
i think the "hare hare yukai" has a rival....hahahahhaha
anyways anyone think that their school uniform is too similar to the ones Haruhi wears??
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 06:50   Link #674
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
anyways anyone think that their school uniform is too similar to the ones Haruhi wears??
Actually, from the colour (and not much else, I admit), the first thing I thought of was To Heart.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 07:32   Link #675
JediNight
キズランダム

Their school uniform is very generic, I don't think you could attribute it to any one show. That is like, the stereotypical sailor seifuku really...

About the animation -- I thought the quality was very good for what it was. They follow the manga style as faithfully as possible, and the show just isn't about a lot of action. It's about the characters sitting around talking about stuff. Although even when they're walking down the street after the food scene, you can see little details like all their hair is bobbing back and forth, etc.

There really is no need to have extremely high-level animation finishing like Haruhi got, because the content doesn't require it.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 08:30   Link #676
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Actually, the manga story remains pretty low tension like this all the time. It's true the materials do get more interesting as more characters are introduced (and there are quite a few characters, Nanako-sensei >?<), but I can tell you right now that you're probably not going to see any extreme developments in this anime. Lucky Star is a very laid-back story about a bunch of slightly-to-extremely eccentric girls and their average daily lives (mostly through talking).

For some people, the looseness provides a good change of pace for people who need a break from all those serious mangas and animes, but if you're looking for an anime with a properly structured story, this is probably not what you're looking for.
That's perfectly fine by me, really. I'm a huge fan of, among others, Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch very much because of the laid-back, low tension, calmly paced shows with primarily dialogue-based humor.

The Lucky Star manga took a bit of time to find its own comedic stride; even the earliest chapters show some progression in that aspect. I don't expect the style or focus of the show to change, just its present clumsy timing.

I'm enjoying it so far, either way, though.
Old 2007-04-10, 08:38   Link #677
Maritime
Oceanic

Just finished watching Ep1 (thanks to SleepingForest-Subs) and I'm glad to say that Lucky Star was everything I hoped it'd be. Much has already been said about the show opening so I won't waste time talking about that but for the record I think it's excellent, as for the show itself I really enjoy Slice-Of-Life shows so this was right up my street.

Slice-Of-Life is a particularly underrated genre and it's not difficult to see why, I personally believe that anime (not unlike computer games) is a form of escapism, a realm of fantasy where unusual, and frankly, unrealistic things happen each and every day, so it must be difficult for some to accept a show in which the main attraction is real life situations. Whereas some may be turned off by a ten minute discussion on eating habits I find it refreshing and I think it's something that people of all walks of life should be able to relate to. Is it entertaining? I guess that's up to the individual to decide. Did I like it? Absolutely yes. This viewer finds it exhausting (and a little depressing) watching fantasy shows where a guy has to choose between x-number of cute girls, watching characters battle legions of monsters or overcome huge odds so I think it's nice every now and again to kick back and unwind with something light like Lucky Star which in the anime world is as close as one can get to a reality check.

Bring on episode two and a millions thankyous to the folks at SleepingForest-Subs for getting this episode out so quickly.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 08:40   Link #678
Maritime
Oceanic

Double post. Sorry.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 09:24   Link #679
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

MUCH BETTER than the manga IMO.

I must admit I was a little worried at the beginning. The first part about the food lasted waaaay to much; Of course, that was until goddess Miyuki came to the rescue.

On second though, I think she was there since the start of that scene. Guess she made the whole part more bearable to me.

Still, she alone pretty much made the episode for me. Even the other characters refer to her as a sort of Moe overload.

Dont understand the complains about the animation though. I sure wish some of the shows I have watched recently were as "badly animated" as this one.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-04-10 at 09:44.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 09:29   Link #680
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure you meant non-street legal narcotic substance in the vein of Loli's being like drugs the studios offer fans for a quick fix in return for "revenue enhancement" so to speak . Basically Loli's ARE drugs so the heroin versus heroine thing might be a bit of the subconcious speaking.

On another note somebody on ANN beat me to the part about the opening being a self-deprecating take on the Haruhi ending.

"In the opening sequence, the girls' dance number and the title screen itself are obviously mocking the ending sequence of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, another title animated by Kyoto Animation."

well the manga is addicting and anime is addicting too, those girls are the drugs...

Yeah I notice it too, but it seems Haruhi has passed her torch to the otaku Kona-chan. Which imho is quite nice.

One more thing I like about them is their faces. quite unique in design, though the uniforms are generic, it makes up for the white ruffles being seen then they jump. Seems like this anime is all word comedy than slapstick. I hope they add something original in the future episodes.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen