AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-12-08, 01:36   Link #1681
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I wouldn't know about that. Every time I see Shinkurou fighting in the manga, he's getting his butt kicked... even by average people.

I also can't stand Akune. Arrogant characters have always rubbed me the wrong way.

I am beginning to wonder how long people will just bash the manga out of spite. It could do a complete 180 and become the greatest thing in the world and people would still rag on it just because they refuse to try and understand it. But, then again, that's why they're called haters... or fan boys if you're on the opposite side.
I dunno where you saw his butt getting kicked, he beat a very powerful mercenary, almost took on the whole Kohuin family to save Murasaki and he did take them on and won. took on whole gangs and recently beat a whole group to save Ginko. I think you havent read Kure-Nai for a very long time. Its an insult to compare Shinkoru with the likes of Zen, or Takeru.
Old 2009-12-08, 07:06   Link #1682
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
I dunno where you saw his butt getting kicked, he beat a very powerful mercenary, almost took on the whole Kohuin family to save Murasaki and he did take them on and won. took on whole gangs and recently beat a whole group to save Ginko. I think you havent read Kure-Nai for a very long time. Its an insult to compare Shinkoru with the likes of Zen, or Takeru.
I'm not the only one saying it, though. There's a lot of other people who also see him as weak. True, he can beat up your average guy, but he usually gets pretty hurt himself (like the first guy he fights in the manga).

He only beat the mercenary when he used his horn (got owned before that) and in the latest chapter, got owned even with the horn out in just a few moves. So much for a hidden power that does nothing to actually help him.

Now, I like the character (unlike Takeru who I can't stand), but he doesn't really come off as strong to me when he even gets beat up by average thugs. As for the Kohuin family, the first time he got beat up and the second time, all the hard work of fighting the entire family was done by Benita and Lin. He just took on the last guy.

Though someone over on mangafox did make a good point about how Yuuno is basically holding him back from getting stronger-- not allowing him to fight strong people, not letting him use the horn (then why give it to him in the first place?), etc. Hard to grow when all the women in your life are tying you down.

But, now we're off topic. We really should get back to discussing MB in this thread. Didn't mean to derail the thread with a passing comment.

@Amegashita: True, I can understand people being disappointed and everything. However, even when the manga does something good, people still bash it and say "it's not enough". I'm just saying that credit should be given where credit is due and, though I know a lot of people are upset that it's not the romantic/comedy they wanted, the story is coming together more at least and things are still pointing in Zen's direction, even if he's still somewhat in the background. I do think that it's a mistake to develop him so slowly like Nishio's doing, though. People will eventually get bored of it.
Old 2009-12-09, 19:34   Link #1683
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
15, *,*54,194 *,*54,194 Medaka Box vol.2
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/w/

Volume 2's first week has not disappointed. This is pretty good for a new manga and it could possibly have a good 2nd week as well. If it hits 70K next week I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 20:21   Link #1684
Johnny
Working the bags...

First ten chapters weren't that bad, but soon after it went straight to hell. So not too surprising that 1st and 2nd volumes are doing ok...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 22:39   Link #1685
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

^ Volume 2 is after chapter 10.

And if it sucks so much why does this thread have 85 pages and people keep talking about it? :/
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:37   Link #1686
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
^ Volume 2 is after chapter 10.

And if it sucks so much why does this thread have 85 pages and people keep talking about it? :/
Because threads full of "this series rocks" "this series is awesome!" "yay for this series!" die quickly.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:42   Link #1687
Johnny
Working the bags...

Because reading this thread is better then reading the manga...?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 01:15   Link #1688
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Because threads full of "this series rocks" "this series is awesome!" "yay for this series!" die quickly.
Controversy breeds conversation indeed. I'm thoroughly entertained.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 01:56   Link #1689
Westlo
Lets be reality

I guess Medaka is safe... and in the mangahelpers thread for WSJ I think this quote about Mago might bear some relevance to people always pointing out how crap Medaka is doing in the TOC.

Quote:
Of all the series to debut since I started following the toc, Mago's rise has been the most fun to watch. It started with no hype, built a fanbase slowly, and two years later will be the first of the class of 2008 to get an anime. And it spent most of that time hidden in the bottom five, even as the volumes started selling.
Ane Doki also should be safe... now the heat falls onto Hokenshitsu and Rilienthal which have been ranking pretty bad as well as the two new series in Neko and Kanata. Seems silly to cancel something that can sell 50,000+ in an opening week for something that would struggle to sell 30,000 maybe. Hoopmen 1 didn't even make the top 100 in Oricon and Bokke 1 sold 18,967 and Bokke 2 9,440.

Oh and Psyren is in big danger

"16. Psyren volume 8 (53,986) (Weekly Shonen Jump)"
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 07:15   Link #1690
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Ok, just read 31's RAWs and I had to scratch my head.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-10, 14:05   Link #1691
Napoleon's Hat

Spoiler for 31 Spoilers:

Another dull, humourless chapter that just continues an uninspired fight and even more boring story arc. I think it's a waste to have a cast of such colourful characters (especially Medaka) wasted on such a trite shounen plot. Maybe next chapter i will be revealed that that box Medaka smashed during her attack was the source of the black guy's power, or he was being mind controlled, or he defects to Medak's side. Anything to keep this from dragging on any further.
Napoleon's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 23:12   Link #1692
Wrath88
Kissing...

Huh, only read 29 so far. Interesting ZA WARUDO there.
Old 2009-12-11, 17:15   Link #1693
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I wonder how many chapters it will take to get to the last person of Flask plan?.....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 17:47   Link #1694
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Hmm . . . let's say this fight lasts one more chapter. Then that's four chapters a bad guy. The plan has 13 people, with 1 (the kid) already defeated and 1 (hard wrapping) being fought. So 11 people left x 4 chapters per person = 44 at least. Plus a few transitory chapters. minus a few characters double teaming our heroes. Oh, and of course there's the boss fight taking twice as many chapters. 50ish would be my guess. We'll still be flaskin it up this time next year?
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 18:28   Link #1695
Xion Valkyrie

I seriously don't think it's going to last that long. The fighting stuff really isn't that unique, and no-one really likes Medaka. She's just not a very interesting character, and so far we all know she's going to win effortlessly.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 19:14   Link #1696
Sol Falling

Ch. 30:

So, 'hard wrapping' (wtflol, these are indeed aliases it seems but who the hell comes up with them) seems to have determined the source of Medaka's 'abnormality', to be (presumably) revealed in ch. 31. This seems like a pretty big deal exposition-wise, is anybody else looking forward to it?

On the Flask Plan stuff, black guy did say he is the strongest of the 13 group so I don't expect further encounters are necessarily going to be focused on battles. Also, the 'strongest' guy being the first enemy in the first place seems to imply this won't be a super long, dragged out excursion. I guess maybe we'll spend a bit on each of the 13 group introduced in the chairman's office (certainly with some of them teaming up), reveal a few of the ones who weren't present, and then we'll be done with this arc. So maybe 30 chapters. 50 does seem quite a bit too long to me too.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 19:33   Link #1697
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Ch. 30:

So, 'hard wrapping' (wtflol, these are indeed aliases it seems but who the hell comes up with them) seems to have determined the source of Medaka's 'abnormality', to be (presumably) revealed in ch. 31. This seems like a pretty big deal exposition-wise, is anybody else looking forward to it?

On the Flask Plan stuff, black guy did say he is the strongest of the 13 group so I don't expect further encounters are necessarily going to be focused on battles. Also, the 'strongest' guy being the first enemy in the first place seems to imply this won't be a super long, dragged out excursion. I guess maybe we'll spend a bit on each of the 13 group introduced in the chairman's office (certainly with some of them teaming up), reveal a few of the ones who weren't present, and then we'll be done with this arc. So maybe 30 chapters. 50 does seem quite a bit too long to me too.
I dunno, usually only the weakest guy will think he's the strongest.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 19:46   Link #1698
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
He's probably the strongest physically, the others don't seem too physically powerful and would probably rely more on their abilities, because all this guy really does is dodge and counterattack.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 23:09   Link #1699
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I just hate how all the villains are really these throw away guys that you don't care about. Like random slimes in a dungeon (I thought that one page in chapter 29 was appropriate). Say what you will about Naruto, but pretty much every villain has their own motivations, goals and story. These guys are just there to boost Medaka up even more and give us her story. :\
Old 2009-12-12, 02:21   Link #1700
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I just hate how all the villains are really these throw away guys that you don't care about. Like random slimes in a dungeon (I thought that one page in chapter 29 was appropriate). Say what you will about Naruto, but pretty much every villain has their own motivations, goals and story. These guys are just there to boost Medaka up even more and give us her story. :\
And I love it. Medaka is great because it only focuses on Medaka and Zen. You get glimpses of Akune and that swimming girl, but the focus is still on the main characters. Villains that take another 10 chapters to explain their background is a complete waste of time. Everytime they explain a long elaborate background story it takes another 5 weeks. It's just filler.

I like the pace of this. It's no nonsense and it just keeps moving. Yes we know Medaka is going to win, and probably destroy the other guy, but at least we won't wait 8 weeks to see it happen.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council