AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 44 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 32.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 19.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-28, 05:26   Link #121
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Nagato scared the hell out of them in the novel, to the point that Haruhi was rendered utterly speechless until after she sat down and started reading.

The anime really didn't convey that all too well. Sure, the basic details were there, but the overall feeling of dread was completely absent.
TBH (and I read Sighs a long time ago, which may colour some things) I never fealt that that feeling of dread was even appropriate there.
Old 2009-08-28, 06:24   Link #122
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos View Post
Mikuru Beeeeeemmmm!!!

I'm suddenly reminded of Adam West's Batman dance.

And I think Sigh has made up for half of Endless Eight.
Old 2009-08-28, 06:31   Link #123
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Absolutely magnificent episode.

Those still pictures from 2Chan that I was using to make my initial assessment of the artwork from, didn't do this episode justice at all, imo. Those still pictures tended to get mostly the worst bits; missing a lot of some great close-up shots of Haruhi's face.

Haruhi was fantastic in this episode, and just about everybody had at least one cool scene or two. Animation flow was wonderful. Background music was superb.

This is definitely the best episode of the year, imo, and I'd probably put this as one of my five favorite Haruhi episodes of all-time... including Haruhi 2006 episodes.

Somebody on this animation staff must be a big fan of 90s anime too - I saw more than a few
allusions/similarities to Excel Saga, El Hazard, and Ranma 1/2. Personally, I love this - it's really cool to see a modern prominent anime really pay some respect to the 90s classics.

Later today, I'm going to put up a lengthier review on my blog.

This kind of episode is precisely what I had hoped for with Haruhi 2009. It's quite refreshing to see it arrive at last!
Old 2009-08-28, 07:23   Link #124
freakonboard

I like this reference.

Old 2009-08-28, 07:31   Link #125
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Thunder View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Also, something that's started to annoy me this episode is Mikuru's face changing colors whenever she's scared.
Old 2009-08-28, 07:53   Link #126
baltakatei

Amusing observations:

1. After Haruhi orders Nagato to use her evil alien magic to attack Mikuru (Mikuru: O_O;; ), Nagato glances away from Mikuru at Haruhi/Kyon as if to ask: "Seriously? You want me to do *that*?" Kyon's adamant "No!" was just as I imagined it from the novel.

2. Haruhi's humming as she prances away is similar to, but not quite, part of Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony to me. Youtube link. Any ideas where Nobuo stole this melody from?

3. Taniguchi's random rant on taxi love is random.

4. Everything is set up for more Mikuru Beam vs. Metal Fence next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Somebody on this animation staff must be a big fan of 90s anime too - I saw more than a few
allusions/similarities to Excel Saga, El Hazard, and Ranma 1/2. Personally, I love this - it's really cool to see a modern prominent anime really pay some respect to the 90s classics.
Specific screenshots and comparisons?
Old 2009-08-28, 09:06   Link #127
Peanutbutter

Next episode, Taniguchi in the water!

Are they gonna throw Shiraishi in a pond as part of DVD extras?
Old 2009-08-28, 10:17   Link #128
TadloS

Lol, that an interesting and funny episode not saying that it was greatly animated. Haruhi firing at old geezer and after that retreat was really amusing. And when Haruhi started to beat(you can put words in this way) Mikuru was really harsh, I glad that Kyon stand up for her. The highlight of episode was Mikuru Beam. And like always Nagato saved Kyon's ass.

Anyway, awesome episode.
Old 2009-08-28, 10:27   Link #129
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Amusing observations:

1. After Haruhi orders Nagato to use her evil alien magic to attack Mikuru (Mikuru: O_O;; ), Nagato glances away from Mikuru at Haruhi/Kyon as if to ask: "Seriously? You want me to do *that*?" Kyon's adamant "No!" was just as I imagined it from the novel.

2. Haruhi's humming as she prances away is similar to, but not quite, part of Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony to me. Youtube link. Any ideas where Nobuo stole this melody from?

3. Taniguchi's random rant on taxi love is random.

4. Everything is set up for more Mikuru Beam vs. Metal Fence next week.

Specific screenshots and comparisons?

Nice observations! Anyway, I didn't get into specific screenshot comparisons, but I did compare a couple of scenes in this episode to scenes from El Hazard, as well as compare Haruhi and Mikuru themselves to certain El Hazard and Excel Saga characters. Finally, the Haruhi retreat run made me think of Ranma 1/2, as did the older Shrine Priest's character design for some reason.

If anybody's interested, they can read about it (and about my take on the episode in general) over at my latest blog entry/episode review...

http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.co...ia-review.html

I forewarn you though - it's pretty long.
Old 2009-08-28, 11:30   Link #130
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
I just noticed something: Why the hell T&K and Tsuruya are wearing their uniforms on Sunday!? I mean, Itsuki explicitly said he is only wearing his cause Haru said so. However, Tsuruya didn't even know they weere doing a movie, so why would she wear her uniform on Sunday?

Also, Knikida, of all people, seen to hear Kyon's narration at 19:57. This time, is very clear his mouth was shut. Is also clear Kunikida was talking about his narration.
Quote:
Kyon(withoug move his mouth): "Stare at Nagato or something"
Kunikida: "Now that you mention it, Nagato-san's costume really suits her.
At that point I really believe it was a Kyoani mistake.
Old 2009-08-28, 11:32   Link #131
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Yuki's enterance last week was scary...(sort of for the viewers), but how often is Haruhi speechless? They all reacted to her appearace. Kyon and Mikuru with fear. Haruhi was speechless. Itsuki...well he wasn't all smiles at least.

If this week was interesting...next week will be even more so. Means two weeks until cat time.

Oh and Kunikida is the one that has been around Kyon the longest. Maybe he can read Kyon's expessions.
Old 2009-08-28, 11:58   Link #132
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Haruhi is a Sailor Moon fan I see lol.

Great episode.
Haruhi was really harsh this episode but I kinda expected that already ^^;
But man, I just want to hug Mikuru and tell her everything is alright. She sounds like a beaten up puppy most of the time. Poor thing.

And Yuki was awesome. So she bit Mikuru? O__o
I see lol.

And it's nice to have Tsuruya back :3
Old 2009-08-28, 12:14   Link #133
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I just noticed something: Why the hell T&K and Tsuruya are wearing their uniforms on Sunday!? I mean, Itsuki explicitly said he is only wearing his cause Haru said so. However, Tsuruya didn't even know they weere doing a movie, so why would she wear her uniform on Sunday?
School Uniforms Are The New Black?

Quote:
Also, Knikida, of all people, seen to hear Kyon's narration at 19:57. This time, is very clear his mouth was shut. Is also clear Kunikida was talking about his narration.
Two possibilities:
1. Kunikida is a psychic.
2. Kyon is capable of projecting his thoughts onto others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
how often is Haruhi speechless?
Very. Rarely. Which is why the fact that the scene was so bland is painful.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-28, 12:15   Link #134
Heatth

Quote:
Oh and Kunikida is the one that has been around Kyon the longest. Maybe he can read Kyon's expessions.
He said 'Now that you mention it, Nagato-san...'. As Kyon had talked about her. 'Mention' is not a word you use when you are reading someone expression. Unless it was a Mazui and baka-tsuki translation error, it is weird.

Post Postum:
Quote:
The add thing is Haruhi aways was an anime that averted this trope (exept for Nagato). It is not an error from Kyoani, however, as they dress like that in the novel too.

Quote:
Two possibilities:
1. Kunikida is a psychic.
2. Kyon is capable of projecting his thoughts onto others.
Opition 2 sound better, as this happens all time with many people. I really prfer to think it is a Kyoani mistake. But, who knows? Maybe Tanigawa had asked then to place some hints about it.
Old 2009-08-28, 13:46   Link #135
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
He said 'Now that you mention it, Nagato-san...'. As Kyon had talked about her. 'Mention' is not a word you use when you are reading someone expression. Unless it was a Mazui and baka-tsuki translation error, it is weird.

Post Postum:

The add thing is Haruhi aways was an anime that averted this trope (exept for Nagato). It is not an error from Kyoani, however, as they dress like that in the novel too.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-28, 13:54   Link #136
baltakatei

Quote:
Kunikida: "Now that you mention it [with your face], Nagato-san's costume really suits her."

=P

I blame Tanigawa for giving KyoAni a very ambiguous script to work with.

Any attempt at explanation will probably cover whether or not Kunikida and Taniguchi are figments of Kyon's imagination, such as is seen with Mr. Nash's best friend in A Beautiful Mind.

Hmm....

Spoiler for Into baltakatei's imagination...:

Why do all my daydreams end up like that?
Old 2009-08-28, 14:14   Link #137
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 'spoliler' of the 'plot' of the movie:
Old 2009-08-28, 16:48   Link #138
typhonsentra

Triple R's post made me think about something in this episode: Haruhi's reaction to Kyon's ogling. When it's directed at her she confronts it right away and makes accusations of him being a perv, when it's towards towards others she tries to stop it but never says anything directly. In the first book when Kyon and Mikuru were wrestling over the mouse she ignores the incident after an initial comment and this time she simply says to not "Shoot things he's not told to".

Spoiler for Snow Mountain Syndrome:
Old 2009-08-28, 17:10   Link #139
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Triple R's post made me think about something in this episode: Haruhi's reaction to Kyon's ogling. When it's directed at her she confronts it right away and makes accusations of him being a perv, when it's towards towards others she tries to stop it but never says anything directly. In the first book when Kyon and Mikuru were wrestling over the mouse she ignores the incident after an initial comment and this time she simply says to not "Shoot things he's not told to".

Spoiler for Snow Mountain Syndrome:
Yay! Glad my review helped sparked some sort of conversation anyway.

I think that if a situation involves Haruhi directly, she herself will be direct in responding to it. Perhaps its an issue of pride for her.

However, if a relationship-related issue doesn't involve her directly, but it's annoying her anyway, she prefers to deal with the matter under pretenses.

Serious relational discussions are very rarely, if ever, Haruhi's forte, I think. Still, she has her pride.

One thing that I found interesting about Novel 4 that may relate to this discussion...

Spoiler for Novel 4:

Anyway, these are just my rambling thoughts on the matter. Part of the reason why I raised Haruhi's reaction to Kyon's ogling the way I did is because I was hoping that one of the review readers might spark a conversation on it; a conversation on it that might lead to some understanding of why Haruhi's like that... because I'm still trying to figure it out, really.

So, thanks for bringing it up on this thread, typhonsentra.
Old 2009-08-28, 17:14   Link #140
velderia
Former NEET.

This was an average for me. Sue me.
Closed Thread