AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-05, 13:44   Link #3241
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
And it was also a rumor it would cover all the Z show?
Well Buu appeared in a few promotional art for Kai, so a lot of people thought that would mean the Buu saga would be apart of Kai, though the fact reminds that it was never announced.

Still the most popular theory is that Kai was cancelled so a new upcoming series like Toriko could take over.
Old 2011-04-05, 16:05   Link #3242
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Why would an underdog show replace Kai? Did something happen?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 16:15   Link #3243
Kallen4life

.. underdog ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 22:23   Link #3244
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
The show is being sued or potentially being sued (right?), that's probably the most likely reason DBZ Kai ultimately got canned...Even in America where it's the highest rated cartoon on NickToons, they restarted from the beginning again after promoting the Android Saga for a month (I know this because my 6yr old nephew is accosting me to watch Japanese eps cuz he's tired of reruns), so using context clues I'm thinking the legal stuff is making people apprehensive...

I really enjoyed Kai's music, but why did the music guy have to steal something as obvious as the "The Terminator" music? He screwed the show, and push come to shove that's most likely a decent reason that Kai got canned in the end...I mean they were gonna have to change the entire sdtk again for Buu (Easier said then done especially when the point of Kai was to have a different feel than the original)...Funimation probably has licensing issues now (someone can correct me on that), but it seems like a bad stew bro...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2011-04-05 at 22:37.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 23:19   Link #3245
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Love how blatant the Terminator and Avatar rips are when watching that comparison video.

And it's a shame. We may never know if it would have fully shown the Buu saga (despite all the hate and inexplicable return of Goku, I loved it) if not for the music fiasco.

It's a real shame a show has to go down for the count for that reason if it was even partly the case.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 23:23   Link #3246
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
A new series which would make more money with a younger audience. Plus Toriko is an awesome manga.
Old 2011-04-06, 02:23   Link #3247
roriconfan
Banned

Wait a second, now Kai got canceled because of some tune similarities and because Toriko will be more likable to the kids than Kai???
Old 2011-04-06, 06:10   Link #3248
Kallen4life

there's Terminatior music in Kai .. ? where ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 08:15   Link #3249
Ottocycle

Quote:
some tune similarities
I guess you haven't actually heard the comparisons between the copied tracks and their originals.
Quote:
and because Toriko will be more likable to the kids than Kai???
Toriko is still running in Jump, still at 100-odd chapters, volumes are in print. New anime boosts Toriko manga sales further.

On the other hand, kids will begin to stop buying DB manga and DVDs because their older siblings have them, and there will be kids whose parents possess DB manga and DVDs as the generations move on. Time is taking its toll on Dragonball.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 08:45   Link #3250
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Love how blatant the Terminator and Avatar rips are when watching that comparison video.

And it's a shame. We may never know if it would have fully shown the Buu saga (despite all the hate and inexplicable return of Goku, I loved it) if not for the music fiasco.

It's a real shame a show has to go down for the count for that reason if it was even partly the case.
Considering how the end of the series was announced before this whole plagiarism lawsuit came up... I'm just gonna assume it was cancelled because of poor sales. Because while the series received consistently great ratings, (but then again, it aired back-to-back with one of the most popular anime ever, so of course it got good ratings) the merchandise and home-video releases were rather unsuccessful. The plagiarism-issue might have been the final nail in the coffin, (as in, I seriously doubt we'll ever see the Buu-arc "Kai-ified" after this whole thing) but even if this didn't happen, the show would have ended here anyway.
Old 2011-04-06, 12:00   Link #3251
roriconfan
Banned

They couldn't show Goku going SSJ3 so it was doomed anyway.
Old 2011-04-06, 12:10   Link #3252
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Considering how the end of the series was announced before this whole plagiarism lawsuit came up... I'm just gonna assume it was cancelled because of poor sales. Because while the series received consistently great ratings, (but then again, it aired back-to-back with one of the most popular anime ever, so of course it got good ratings) the merchandise and home-video releases were rather unsuccessful. The plagiarism-issue might have been the final nail in the coffin, (as in, I seriously doubt we'll ever see the Buu-arc "Kai-ified" after this whole thing) but even if this didn't happen, the show would have ended here anyway.
If the plagiarism incident didn't happen, then at least the chances of seeing the Buu Saga in Kai form at a later date would have been an option. Now, not so much.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:09   Link #3253
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post

It's weird that I saw both those movies, but I didn't actually recognize the music lifts until I watched those comparison vids myself.

It's a shame that it happened, but I gotta admit, even if it's plagiarized work, it still sounded great and fit well with the show.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 13:37   Link #3254
roriconfan
Banned

So in order for this opening to be made...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrSF...eature=related
... they got the rights first but in the case of Kai they didn't?
Old 2011-04-06, 14:32   Link #3255
Ottocycle

Quote:
So in order for this opening to be made...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrSF...eature=related
... they got the rights first but in the case of Kai they didn't?
Parody = Fair Use. Also insubstantial copying for purposes of highlighting = Fair Use.

Kuragehime made the viewers laugh at how the characters were inserted into classic movies. The viewers normally do not take the OP seriously given the nature of the show. Also, each movie got max 10 seconds of footage copied out of a 1.5 hour movie (I'm using general numbers here)

DBKai is not a parody. They used the music for srsbsns highlighting of fight scenes and to create tension which was the same as the initial intention of the original pieces that it copied from. Timewise the pieces' main repeating motif was copied, which usually accounts for more than half the piece.

Additionally, how obviously was the Kuragehime OP citing its sources, and did the DBKai music do the same?

I think it's clear which case is fair use and which one isn't.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 23:56   Link #3256
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Yeah I just finished Youtubing the scandal and damn ...

Ain't no way Kai can be saved now, I mean it's comical the level of thievery Yamamoto did...A smart a$$hole would steal some elements then add a few wrinkles to make it different, but this was straight up turning in internet term-papers for college classes...It's really a shame, because from what I gathered from youtube comments and vids is that the Home-releases and all the current episodes airing on American TV are in jeopardy at this point (CW's Toonzai block has already begun editing music from various Kai eps)....

Furthermore no matter what happens Kai has been tainted, and what was really a special and nostalgic rendition of a show we all loved, it's now subject to getting redone again with a mishmash of musical scores certain to destroy the atmosphere, feel, and integrity the show originally established (even if it was stolen music)...Kinda sucks is all...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2011-04-07 at 00:10. Reason: syntaxation
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 10:40   Link #3257
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

Furthermore no matter what happens Kai has been tainted, and what was really a special and nostalgic rendition of a show we all loved, it's now subject to getting redone again with a mishmash of musical scores certain to destroy the atmosphere, feel, and integrity the show originally established (even if it was stolen music)...Kinda sucks is all...
Well, to be honest, I wonder if the average fan even knows about this whole debacle. I doubt it'll be remade yet again.

As for me, personally, it sucks that the music is plagiarized, but it really has no affect on my enjoyment on the series. I don't care that there's legal issues going on behind the scenes...that's for corporate suits to worry about. All I gotta do is sit here and enjoy aliens mashing up some androids (or cyborgs, whatever floats your boat) with some badass music in the background. Call it being ignorant, but life's too short to complain about things you can't control...just enjoy what you have.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 11:42   Link #3258
roriconfan
Banned

It's not like they can put some rock tunes as BGM like they did in the old american dub.
Old 2011-04-07, 12:20   Link #3259
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
It's not like they can put some rock tunes as BGM like they did in the old american dub.
Rock tunes? I don't remember Bruce Faulconer creating anything like that.
Old 2011-04-07, 13:04   Link #3260
Ahiru77
あひる

^ Yeah he did some.

Like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfk2uGGjAE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRBm0LciSFg

Or am I mistaken ?
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote