Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-13, 05:58   Link #21
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
But perhaps the nerdiest was my American Heritage dictionary that I would read through. I kept all eight pounds of it in my book-bag from about the time my age hit double-digits until the time I was through with school. I recall the bewildered expressions of my sixth grade teachers as I always requested to be excused from our sports day activities to instead read my dictionary.
I remember reading my dictionary in class when I was bored. However, I went to schools that "sports days" were a mandatory attendance day where we actually received a grade for performance. Of course, this was up until my second year of high school when we could choose if we want to attend or even take a Physical Education class.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 09:25   Link #22
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i would always read biology books or enclopydias for fun
i would usually read about sharks, snakes, dogs or big ats like tigers
i read every book in my library that had information about sharks, i eally liked the adult biology books, only reason because their info wasnt standard and they spoke a lot about the difficult stuff like bone structure, behavoir anylasis, the biological factors that put influence ont he animal's behavoir ^^
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 09:54   Link #23
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i would always read biology books or enclopydias for fun
i would usually read about sharks, snakes, dogs or big ats like tigers
i read every book in my library that had information about sharks, i eally liked the adult biology books, only reason because their info wasnt standard and they spoke a lot about the difficult stuff like bone structure, behavoir anylasis, the biological factors that put influence ont he animal's behavoir ^^
Shall I assume you are currently studying in that field?
Old 2007-08-13, 10:17   Link #24
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
Shall I assume you are currently studying in that field?
no no not at all XD
i'm studying multimedia and then animation 2D and 3D (together with webdesign which im going to drop, filming and film editing)
i did chose biology as an extra subject back in highschool and passed it, i love animal behavior anylasys's and i know quite a bit about sharks, rays, other ocean plants and fish, rainforest wildlife and plants, safari animals (im not going to make a super long post) but heck my interest wasnt like i wanted to do somehting with it later on in my life :P but it is handy when im doing animation or when i am writting, you could say i was addicted to the discovery channel as a kid and films like Jaws put it up a notch, a small clip played of Jaws of a man getting eaten in the zoo when i was about 7 made me interested in them and then all the docu's of white shark caches and feeding XD my interest is more curiousity of what makes such a huge dangerous, yet pretty, animal tick

let alone seeing a lion family with cubs just makes me go all :3 but its not all cute thats why i wanted to know more instead of living in this bubble with the feelings that lion cubs are cute, i just wanted to know how nature rolls, it teaches a lot of how to respect nature
Old 2007-08-13, 16:49   Link #25
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I used to read the Nursery Rhyme book I have when I was little. It also came with a cassette tape so I kinda read along as I listen.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 21:52   Link #26
starry_sky45
Cherry Blossom~

Send a message via AIM to starry_sky45 Send a message via MSN to starry_sky45
ahh, does anyone remember that Dr. Seuss book that was the alphabet in Seuss words? I used to read that one a lot as well.
Old 2007-08-14, 09:35   Link #27
SushiOTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeKilroy View Post
1st-3rd grades: Boxcar Children
4th-6th grades: Redwall, LoTR, and HP
Yes! Redwall! Best childrens series ever xD

I've been reading books since I was very young. When I was 5-6 I read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (in Korean) which is a 10-volume series. Lol I basically skimmed through for the battles and skipped all the boring political intrigue which I didn't really understand. I thought the Straw men trick was really cool though.

When I was 6 our family immigrated to the US so my reading ability dropped x_x ...a lot...

Probably my favorite books were the Golden Compass series and Wizard of Earthsea series, both read during middle school.
SushiOTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 13:04   Link #28
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_sky45 View Post
ahh, does anyone remember that Dr. Seuss book that was the alphabet in Seuss words? I used to read that one a lot as well.
Is it this one - Dr. Seuss's Abc?
Old 2007-08-14, 15:25   Link #29
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

is manga considered book? If so, Doraemon... Otherwise, none XD ... didn't read a single book except school books during my childhood...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 15:30   Link #30
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Lots of history book, I loved history since I was young. As a result of that I became very proud of my country, too proud I would say.
Old 2007-08-15, 06:14   Link #31
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
is manga considered book? If so, Doraemon... Otherwise, none XD ... didn't read a single book except school books during my childhood...
If it is bound and has pages, it is a book. So, yes, I believe manga is considered a book.
Old 2007-08-15, 13:58   Link #32
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I wonder how you guys are able to read so many books though... A bunch of words with sophisticated ones makes my head hurts. (and my 3.5 years knowledge of English certainly doesn't help) I'm into reading a bit lately thanks to light novel but... any "Reading for Dummies" tips? =p

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 14:24   Link #33
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
I wonder how you guys are able to read so many books though... A bunch of words with sophisticated ones makes my head hurts. (and my 3.5 years knowledge of English certainly doesn't help) I'm into reading a bit lately thanks to light novel but... any "Reading for Dummies" tips? =p
:3 i stopped reading for quite a while, atm im reading like novels from movies, maybe thats something
or simply drop by the mythology section :3 read stuff youre interested in, that always works for me
Old 2007-08-15, 14:54   Link #34
aki/kaze/shi
Without Love

Location: Locked up in my room, in fears the neighbours will infest my house with....GRASSHOPPERS.
Uh..*still only 13, so she'll say her favorites from 12 and under*
Howl's Moving Castle. But my aunt lost it on me. I would read it over and over again. Also The Watcher trilogy and the Dear Canada book series. And Lemony Snicket. ^^'
aki/kaze/shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 15:18   Link #35
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Keep trying! Your ability to read in English will increase as you experience the language. What kind of books are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki/kaze/shi View Post
Uh..*still only 13, so she'll say her favorites from 12 and under*
Howl's Moving Castle. But my aunt lost it on me. I would read it over and over again. Also The Watcher trilogy and the Dear Canada book series. And Lemony Snicket. ^^'
My friends read Lemony Snicket... how is that series?
Old 2007-08-15, 16:33   Link #36
OMchan
オムちゃん

Our whole class was crazy over "The Bailey School Kids" in Grade 3. Our class always borrowed the new books first from the school library while the other classes got stuck with the old ones, hehe.

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 16:44   Link #37
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Well this is what my dad made me do, he would put me in my room for whole day and I could only get out only when I need to eat or go to the bathroom. In the room I would basically read book for whole day and write the every word that I don't know and I would have to memorize it. After few months of that I became better reader, and well I doubt anyone would use this method on their own will. So I guess you could just do simplify version read the book and write down words that you don't know and just write it or try to use it more frequently.
Old 2007-08-15, 18:19   Link #38
Rahan

I don't remember much what I was reading before Middle School, except the "famous 5" and the "black stallion" among some other french series from the green and rose library (french collections for kids / teens)
When my brother started to play pen & paper RPG, (when I was around 12-13 IIRC) I read his books and got into fantasy (started with Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga). Until a few years ago, I would only read fantasy or Science fiction.
The books I read the most were Stormbringer (gotta love Moorcock's way of ending his sagas), the first Pratchett, anything Chtulhu related and Dune.

Now, even if I am still reading fantasy & SF, I regret having been so close-minded all those years.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-16, 01:55   Link #39
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
I probably spent most of my young life hooked on those numerous Choose Your Own Adventure books. It just seemed like such an innovative idea; I couldn't tear myself away. My first read through always went through choices I would have done had I really been in that situation. Unfortunately, that path somehow always ended with my gruesome death in those books.
Old 2007-08-16, 19:10   Link #40
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:56.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote