Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-10, 02:21   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

One Piece - Chapter 546 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2009-06-10, 02:25   Link #2
marvelB

Well, the pics and summary are already out:

-Robin's ministory ends with her being rescued by the revolutionary army.

-Mr. 3's wax is able to defend against Magellan's poison. Luffy has him make a wax armor for him so he can fight against the warden (F*** YEAH, CANDLE CHAMPION LUFFY! ).

-Outside the prison, Croc, Buggy, Daz and Jinbei see that there are no battleships nearby. The former three then get on a raft, which Jinbei throws towards a battleship. It looks like the three of them are then ready to kick some marine tail......

Heh, things are getting crazier already! The one pic of Buggy, Croc and Daz standing on that raft was pretty badass (I especially love Buggy's pose). From what I gather, Luffy is going to stay behind to fight Magellan while Buggy's group hijacks the battleship. I sure hope there's a VA aboard, so we can have another fun lil' boss battle on our hands......

Edit: Oh lordy, I love Luffy and Mr. 3's dialogue after the wax armor is finished (of course, credit goes to aohige for translation):

Quote:
Luffy: Whooaaa COOOL!!! It's PERFECT!!!
Mr3: Look ahead!!! What are you saying, (rest cut off)
Luffy: Man my tears just won't stop.... THANKS!!!
Mr3: JUST HURRY UP AND FIGHT DAMNIT!!!

Ah... the Magellan rematch is gonna be a lot of fun.

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-06-10 at 02:39.
Old 2009-06-10, 02:43   Link #3
SMASHERJACKSON

Despite the little plot devlopment in this chapter i felt it delivered, no more speculation of how luffy will go up against megallan, and tjhings moving outside the prison now.

Robin being rescued by the revolutionary army interests me, i now get the feeling they may be the ones who reuinite the SH

speaking of the seperated SH, how exactly will Luffy become the pirate king now that hes been defeated arguably twice? first sandman croc [cool name no?] and 2ndly by kuma bart, did Roger ever get defeated like this? wasnt he only matched by WB?

and yes im assuming that to be PK u must also be the strongest pirate in the seas
Old 2009-06-10, 03:02   Link #4
marvelB

^We don't really know how many losses Roger had during his rise to the top. For instance, since it was said that Garp had cornered him several times during his adventures, he may have given Roger the bitter taste of defeat in the past. Frankly, I can't imagine that Roger had an easier journey than Luffy is currently having, anyhow (especially with that disease he had).....

Anyway, I agree that the conclusion to Robin's part of the story is an interesting one. At the very least, we may be seeing her at Marineford at some point, especially if she's now receiving Dragon's aid. I think I'm still more interested in the conclusions to Usopp, Zoro, and Brooke's ministories, though......
Old 2009-06-10, 03:14   Link #5
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^We don't really know how many losses Roger had during his rise to the top. For instance, since it was said that Garp had cornered him several times during his adventures, he may have given Roger the bitter taste of defeat in the past. Frankly, I can't imagine that Roger had an easier journey than Luffy is currently having, anyhow (especially with that disease he had).....

Anyway, I agree that the conclusion to Robin's part of the story is an interesting one. At the very least, we may be seeing her at Marineford at some point, especially if she's now receiving Dragon's aid. I think I'm still more interested in the conclusions to Usopp, Zoro, and Brooke's ministories, though......
yeah, but im assuming the big deal abuot whitebeard being able to draw with roger was due to his lack of defeats, but maybe youre right, as a pirate crew the gold roger pirates may hav been defeated and he may hav had to retry multiple times to defeat some of his foes as luffy had to.

i can see how Robin and Nami will be able to reach Luffy but not anyone else unfortunately but ill be looking forward to see how this part of the story is handled
Old 2009-06-10, 03:14   Link #6
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Oh..that was a little cheap.I hope the armor wont hold much longer and melt before Magellan gets seriously hurt.I was expecting a controlled haki blast as a finisher for Magellan not another funny power up with someones help.If they will defeat Magellan this way it will be Mr3's victory more than Luffy since he can coat any monster down there and win anyway.Luffy on the other hand cant do anything to Magellan with melee combat alone.Thinking of it now back in thriller bark, the victory also belonged to Rolling Pirates by %50
Old 2009-06-10, 03:15   Link #7
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
Despite the little plot devlopment in this chapter i felt it delivered, no more speculation of how luffy will go up against megallan, and tjhings moving outside the prison now.

Robin being rescued by the revolutionary army interests me, i now get the feeling they may be the ones who reuinite the SH

speaking of the seperated SH, how exactly will Luffy become the pirate king now that hes been defeated arguably twice? first sandman croc [cool name no?] and 2ndly by kuma bart, did Roger ever get defeated like this? wasnt he only matched by WB?

and yes im assuming that to be PK u must also be the strongest pirate in the seas
Well, I would guess that was at the peak of Roger's career when he was the pirate king. I doubt he became "invincible" right from the start.

Most people would have suffered defeats before, even if it was just when he was young. Nothing stopping the person from losing and getting stronger, assuming the loss doesn't kill/disable him.

Anyway, there isn't a must for the PK to be personally the strongest. He could just be very strong and have enough mechanisms/tactics or help to truimph over the ones stronger than him. Or he could just be in possession of the services of the strongest person. One example is kira from death note, he was "god" for a time but his girlfriend was actually stronger than him (ability to see the names of the person)
Old 2009-06-10, 03:20   Link #8
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Oh..that was a little cheap.I hope the armor wont hold much longer and melt before Magellan gets seriously hurt.I was expecting a controlled haki blast as a finisher for Magellan not with someones help.If they will defeat Magellan this way it will be Mr3's victory more than Luffy since he can coat any monster down there and win anyway.Luffy on the other hand cant do anything to Magellan with melee combat alone.

Actually, the way I see it is that the wax armor won't last for the whole battle. Besides, none of Luffy's arc-specific power-ups last long anyway (Water Luffy, Nightmare Luffy, etc.). So yeah, in the end I'm also expecting Luffy to finish off Magellan with Haki, lest he die like a poisoned rat.....
Old 2009-06-10, 03:20   Link #9
james0246

I have to say, I love how Buggy is being paired up with Crocodile and Daz. It makes no sense, but it is also great at the same time. Lots of fun.

And yes, the few bits of dialogue currently seen between Mr. 3 and Luffy are hilarious.

This looks like a fun and exciting chapter, can't wait for the rest of the pages to be released.
Old 2009-06-10, 03:21   Link #10
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Oh..that was a little cheap.I hope the armor wont hold much longer and melt before Magellan gets seriously hurt.I was expecting a controlled haki blast as a finisher for Magellan not another funny power up with someones help.If they will defeat Magellan this way it will be Mr3's victory more than Luffy since he can coat any monster down there and win anyway.Luffy on the other hand cant do anything to Magellan with melee combat alone.Thinking of it now back in thriller bark, the victory also belonged to Rolling Pirates by %50
I would prefer it this way. It would be too typical shounen and unreasonable for luffy to suddenly gain mulitple levels of skill. I would prefer him to win this via a tactic, then go back and train/rethink. And emerge stronger for the next battle.

Or at least being taught or told about haki by some one before he can use it.
Old 2009-06-10, 03:21   Link #11
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Oh..that was a little cheap.I hope the armor wont hold much longer and melt before Magellan gets seriously hurt.I was expecting a controlled haki blast as a finisher for Magellan not with someones help.If they will defeat Magellan this way it will be Mr3's victory more than Luffy since he can coat any monster down there and win anyway.Luffy on the other hand cant do anything to Magellan with melee combat alone.
i think the wax will help at first but during the endo f the fight luffy will learn to develop his haki to counter megallans aibilities out of neccassity : mr3's power would hav helped to keep luffy safe until he learns to use his haki more effectively but not be the actual cause of megallans defeat
Old 2009-06-10, 04:12   Link #12
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Why do people talk about haki like its the solution to all problems?

Jesus, bad move by Oda methinks.
Old 2009-06-10, 04:28   Link #13
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post

I've always felt haki wasn't such a miracle as most of the others are thinking. I'm thinking of it either as just another attacking method (ki atks?) or merely strong "presence"

but then if it can be used to imbue weapons, what's stopping imbueing the whole body........
Old 2009-06-10, 04:59   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
yeah, but im assuming the big deal abuot whitebeard being able to draw with roger was due to his lack of defeats, but maybe youre right, as a pirate crew the gold roger pirates may hav been defeated and he may hav had to retry multiple times to defeat some of his foes as luffy had to.
The strongest person is not one who has the most power, but one who doesn't give up. If you don't give up, you will win. A successful person is one who has seen many failures and stood up again each time stronger.

I'm thinking Robin probably will learn more of the lost history from the revolutionaries. They were supposed to revolt because of that history.

And for Haki, yes, it is not a solution, it is just something that will make a difference. Can this difference be useless or useful, it depends on the person himself. If you have the will to do things, but not the means and ability to do so, you'll still fail.

If you're opponent as powerful physically as you are, both of you can't defeat each other. If the same opponent has an ability that's stronger than your ability, he may defeat you. If you pick up an ability to match that ability, you'll even the odds again. If you really want to defeat your opponent now, you'll need to have a difference, you can grow stronger physically, get a stronger ability, or you can have stronger Haki.

Haki comes from a person's character and will, you can build your Haki, but ultimately, the Haki will be limited by the person's character and will. Luffy has a King's Haki, what kind or how much of a difference can a ruler make?
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-10, 05:16   Link #15
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
The thing that made OP unique, imho, was the fact that it didn't have any unexplained phenomena or 'magic' as Oda liked to call it. Sure, there are devil fruits, but DF are used in a creative and logical way. The more control a person has over DF, the more he is able to utilise its ability. Even a seemingly weak devil fruit, like Luffy's Gomu gomu no fruit was able to imbue him with powers which is essential to his combat style and strategy. Thus, in retrospect, all DF are equal in terms of power.

However, haki not only cheapens devil fruits (and especially BB's anti logia DF) but also provides Oda with a 'solution to everything' of sorts. Its just like ki, chakra, Bleach's thing (forgot its name) and a dozen other similar concepts found in shonen series. I really hope it doesn't become the stereotypical 'power up' equivilent in the OP world.
Old 2009-06-10, 05:26   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, its already a 'typical powerup', because Haki is in more manga than people know.

Fist of the North Star is one famous example of Haki, the martial arts run on Ki and alot of of Haki. Various Street Fighter manga runs on Haki, they also have a coloured Haki system, each colour being stronger or weaker and Gouki has black, Sakki. Ryu became Evil Ryu because Guoki forced Ryu to give into his killing instinct, Sakki. But he defeated his evil killing intentions with an even greater will of his heart, he attained a Haki stronger than his Sakki. Which is also Guoki's intention, he saw that Ryu had an extremely strong will. He wants to see if Ryu can defeat his dark side and become even stronger.

All the Chinese Manhua, Korean Manhwa, all the East Asian cultures have Haki in their martial arts comics. Haki is actually everywhere its so common, but not typical, its just down to earth. Haki is just one of the traits of humanity, it is not a 'special powerup', it is part of a human character.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-10, 05:29   Link #17
Photonbeam
It's VACATION TIMEEEEE!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Photonbeam
The mini-story about Robin was really interesting.

And about that Candle Champion, I hope it will be like Luffy's clothes which don't tear apart (in the Candle Champion's case it would be breaking) when he uses his techniques (ex. Gomu Gomu no Fuusen) because if Luffy uses Gear Third then it would be a problem if the Candle Champion breaks.
Old 2009-06-10, 05:34   Link #18
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

my guess is magallan will be easy to handle if the poisons don't work. Though I'm not sure how the wax will be able to expand with his attacks. But I guess it could be in a semi liquid state and adjusted accrodingly when needed (e.g. harden when in contact with enemy but liquid when moving; efectively a combination atk and defense by them.
Old 2009-06-10, 05:39   Link #19
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Quote:

Its not because its a solution, but a way to become a bit stronger in new world.Luffy just stepped to new world and he is getting owned by everyone from Kizaru to Magellan...All because they are logia and logia like paramecia with invincible untouchable bodies.

Haki is clearly a logia killing only tool and logias should be dealt with sooner or later.Strawhats just cant wait for someone's tactical help whenever they encounter a logia in new world.It is not an I.W.I.N. button since a bunch of rookies like Kidd,Law and their crew were able to stand against Rayleigh's haki.Thats why we need it asap.Who can we a better target for haki than Magellan the invincible?
Old 2009-06-10, 06:58   Link #20
Red-Haired_Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I'm more interested in Zoro's ministory than any of them.

But one thing I notice is that there were no DF users in Gold Rogers Era either...
That's the difference between Gol D. Roger's Era and Monkey D. Luffy's Era.

All of the people we know from Gold Rogers time aren't even DF users..
Garp, Whitebeard, Shanks, Dark King Rayleigh, (maybe) Sengoku and (possibly Shiryuu)...
When Buggy ate the fruit, people on the crew had never seen it in action before..
They were watching Buggy eat the fruit the whole time to see if you really gain powers from it...
Because then it was still only a legend...
Closed Thread