AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 54 Rating
Perfect 10 61 71.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 17.65%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 5.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-25, 15:30   Link #21
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I commented early on in the series that part of the problem with FMA:B was that as a reboot it was constantly being compared to the original, and it would be hard for a new team to do the same action scenes that were done in the original series with the same impact, and it was something that worked against the team. I'm glad to say that now towards the tail end of the series, I've seen more than enough in the last 40 or so episodes to be able to conclude that yes, the new team has indeed managed to make their mark on the major animation sequences and have animated many scenes which they can be very proud of and will always be associated with them, and not compared to the previous series. Hironori Tanaka and Yoshimichi Kameda are every bit the highlight of FMA:B, just like Yutaka Nakamura and Takashi Tomioka were for the original FMA.
I remember discussing this with you. And you know I think it makes sense that the Brotherhood team saved their animation budget for new scenes not covered by the first series because then they wouldn't have to be compared to the first series. It also makes sense to me (with a few exceptions like Roy VS Lust) that they even saved the best animated scenes towards the end of the series. That is when we should see the best animation because people remember the end most of all.

And quite honestly I think Brotherhood has surpassed the first anime in terms of animation. At least in the number of great fight scenes.

The first anime had Ed VS Greed, Ed VS Envy and Ed VS Scar. But I can't really think of many other memorable animated action scenes.

This series has Roy VS Lust, Roy VS Envy (2 eps worth), Al VS Kimbley & Pride. And the series is still not over yet.

I am really looking forward to what they are going to do next episode with Hohenheim VS Father.
Old 2010-04-25, 15:41   Link #22
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Envy's death was quite impressive, quite emotive. I was never quite as moved by Hughes' death as many people seemed to be, so it was Envy's confession of his jealousy of humanity that moved me the most about this episode.

As for the animation...to be honest, impressive as it was, somehow, at this point in my appreciation for fantasy action my foremost reaction to Roy's pillars of flame was "is this physically accurate"? My understanding of Roy's alchemy being based on the flow of air had me thinking 'with all these short bursts and powerful explosions, where is he getting the oxygen?' And with regards to Envy's burns, I was wondering if it might not be more effective to set him on fire and let his flesh burn slowly as opposed to repeatedly blasting him with so many individual bursts of flame. I dunno. I liked the rest of the action though.
Strangely the opposite from my point of view. Really couldn't feel any sympathy or be moved by Envy at the end. After all the people he's killed and all he's done this was a fitting end. Getting owned so badly by Mustang and then having to die while being pitied by those around him was about what he deserved. Probably helped that I was moved by Hughes' death so I was behind Mustang no matter how Envy got taken out .

Really a great episode overall. A good group effort to stop Mustang from going too far. The incredible strain to restrain that anger was easy to read. Still he was prepared to give up his life to avenge Hughes, but with Hawkeye going to die as well that was the limit. It's one thing to give up his own life, but attacking would in a sense kill Hawkeye so he couldn't go for it.

On a less serious note that was some great gun battling by Hawkeye . Guns may not kill much in this universe anymore, but she has got skills. Great how she tricks Envy and then just head shots him.

Plus another great effort by Alex. That was quite the beating from Sloth, but he returned it with a great counterattack.
Old 2010-04-25, 15:59   Link #23
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
This series has Roy VS Lust, Roy VS Envy (2 eps worth), Al VS Kimbley & Pride. And the series is still not over yet.
I think both Wrath vs Greed sequences (against the original first in episode 14 and then Greedling in 45) ought to be included as well. They were both pretty short but still very well animated.

I mean just look at this:

Spoiler:

That's major quality and detail right there.
Old 2010-04-25, 16:32   Link #24
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I think both Wrath vs Greed sequences (against the original first in episode 14 and then Greedling in 45) ought to be included as well. They were both pretty short but still very well animated.

Spoiler:

Spoiler for more gifs:
Old 2010-04-25, 16:37   Link #25
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Spoiler for more gifs:
*drools* Bradley is soooo damn epic....

....buuuut I think we're getting a little off-topic here...

Old 2010-04-25, 16:41   Link #26
Kirarakim

Quote:

Spoiler:

No you are right, I just forgot about those!
Old 2010-04-25, 16:50   Link #27
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
*drools* Bradley is soooo damn epic....

....buuuut I think we're getting a little off-topic here...

indeed

there, back on track
Old 2010-04-25, 17:06   Link #28
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
indeed

there, back on track
YES.

I had to say, that was so epic that it was almost funny. Don't ask me why.

Both hands flame alchemy = Epic WIN = Roasted Homunculus + A lot of pretty fire
Old 2010-04-25, 17:19   Link #29
OshadowO

man I didn't think this thing could get any better. The whole show has been awesome but the last few eps have been just fantastic. I didn't think things could get any better than after seeing Al go all bad-ass a couple of eps before but this is building up to one hell of a finale. Hopefully we don't get any lame-ass "watch the movie for a full ending" thing this time.
Old 2010-04-25, 17:27   Link #30
Vicious108

Quote:
indeed

there, back on track
It was cool that they had Roy explode on Envy like that and kill him like 10 times in a few seconds. In the manga it did feel like Envy was reduced to fetus form a little too quickly after all the philosopher's stones he acquired from the clones.
Old 2010-04-25, 17:32   Link #31
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
It was cool that they had Roy explode on Envy like that and kill him like 10 times in a few seconds. In the manga it did feel like Envy was reduced to fetus form a little too quickly after all the philosopher's stones he acquired from the clones.
They also added in Riza's horrified look which also worked well.
Spoiler:

Wow, Brotherhood is even comparable to the source manga material. Now that's saying something.
Old 2010-04-25, 17:40   Link #32
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
As for the animation...to be honest, impressive as it was, somehow, at this point in my appreciation for fantasy action my foremost reaction to Roy's pillars of flame was "is this physically accurate"? My understanding of Roy's alchemy being based on the flow of air had me thinking 'with all these short bursts and powerful explosions, where is he getting the oxygen?'
In terms of how we know alchemy works, it's perfectly consistent because Roy is able to immediately resplit the carbon dioxide and provide oxygen continuously. The crux of his technique is to adjust the oxygen levels after all.

The part that actually "breaks physics" is the heat. In the FMA world, it seems there's not that much radiant heat. Being in that close proximity to what are obviously extremely hot flames should have toasted Roy and the other bystanders and we aren't provided with a mechanism that prevents that.
Old 2010-04-25, 17:55   Link #33
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
indeed

there, back on track
Shame you can't match the outstanding music placement to that scene.
Old 2010-04-25, 18:06   Link #34
kitten320

I still love the scream he gives when shooting into empty corridor
Old 2010-04-25, 18:22   Link #35
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I still love the scream he gives when shooting into empty corridor
So that was him, right? I was wondering if there was something wrong with my ears today...
Old 2010-04-25, 18:22   Link #36
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Haha, it's funny how all the animated gifs being posted are Kameda's work. I definitely feel he has left his mark on this series.
Old 2010-04-25, 20:12   Link #37
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
So that was him, right? I was wondering if there was something wrong with my ears today...
Yeah, it was a bit more high pitched than usual, but it certainly was him.

I know I already praised him last week, but this was the episode where Shinichiro Miki truly shined. His "Disappear from my sight!" scream in particular was extremely awesome. Just as intense and vicious as it needed to be. I remember back when the series first started I was somewhat hesitant about accepting him as Roy since his voice is so different from the first series' Toru Ohkawa, but he's definitely won me over by now.

Anyways, just watched the episode with subs and it might very well be my favorite in the series. Mostly everything was handled extremely well and even improved upon from the manga with the added flashbacks and lines. And the music placement was great, as it's been for quite a while now (that's definitely one of the aspects Brotherhood improved over the most as the series went on).

Roy's crisis was perfectly done. I'll never get tired of hearing "Fifth Laboratory", one of my favorite tracks in this for sure. I'm just a little disappointed that the poignant "Don't go where I can't follow!" Riza line from the manga's scanlation I have turned out to be more of a "Don't reduce yourself to this!" one instead. Other than that, it totally lived up to my expectations, which were rather high. Even Riza's seiyuu, which I find to be one of the less fitting voices in the show, didn't detract from my enjoyment of it.

As for Envy's final scene, his last ditch trolling attempts were certainly just as awesome as in the manga, but when it comes to the death itself I've got one minor complaint in that they made it a little TOO dramatic. As much as I love the character, I think the scene would've worked better with a more subtle BGM and his scream and him going "kono envi" over and over were a bit too much. But hey it still moved me and got the humiliation he was feeling across extremely well, so it certainly did its job. It's amazing how in that form and with that voice he can still emotionally hook the viewer. For me this scene is one of the most defining moments of FMA as a whole, in that it covers almost all of its major themes and really shows the truth about the entire humans vs homunculi conflict.

Oh and I really loved the flashback to some of Envy's previous lines in the series about humans, though I think their selection could've been a tad better. The "Cute and young form" line didn't really fit there and his "Don't look down on me, humans" lines to Ling and Marcoh should've made it instead. Regardless, great anime-only addition.

And after that amazing first half it normally would've been hard for the rest of the episode to follow up, but Alex's utter manliness sure did the job. Izumi's entrance was sweet too. And FINALLY the Hohenheim vs Father staredown! Been waiting a long time for that, though their decision to show it now instead of back in episode 51 is a fairly wise one.
Old 2010-04-25, 22:01   Link #38
Zippicus

Woah.

The last two episodes have been fantastic. Envy has always kind of annoyed me so it was an extra special treat to see him get incinerated every time he opened his mouth to talk trash lol. Mustang was just made of awesome throughout this fight.
Old 2010-04-25, 22:05   Link #39
Grey

Ha! They managed to garner some sympathy for Envy from me, so I guess it was well done.

And the reason Envy gave those speeches and tried to turn everyone against each other--I never really realized that this, too, could be tied to envy. He was jealous of humans--resented that they had what he didn't--and that may be why he especially tried to bring out the worst in them.
Old 2010-04-25, 23:15   Link #40
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Ha! They managed to garner some sympathy for Envy from me, so I guess it was well done.

And the reason Envy gave those speeches and tried to turn everyone against each other--I never really realized that this, too, could be tied to envy. He was jealous of humans--resented that they had what he didn't--and that may be why he especially tried to bring out the worst in them.
But of course, people in general get annoyed or angry when they see other people doing things they themselves cannot do, and Envy (both the sin and the character) is basically the extreme of that.

In that scene Envy was trying to make them give in to their weaknesses and show their ugly emotions, which would result in them fighting amongst themselves. But they were better than that. Envy isn't. Just remember his exchange with the original Greed. All it took was was for Greed to call him ugly and Envy already wanted to beat him to death.

It hasn't happened here yet thankfully, but I've seen some people in other forums claim that Envy being jealous of humans came out of nowhere and had never been hinted at before, but it's funny because if you go and rewatch the show with that in mind, every single one of his actions makes perfect sense and is in accordance with that.
Closed Thread