Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-01, 04:51   Link #1061
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye View Post
Nagisa 04, Shiori 01, Sakura 06

Also, Yuki bio is drafted. Calling for proofreaders.
Speaking of proofreading, there is one small gripe about your profiles in general: Sentence Fragments. Usually sentences without a subject, even though it's implied.
Old 2008-04-01, 05:01   Link #1062
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Speaking of proofreading, there is one small gripe about your profiles in general: Sentence Fragments. Usually sentences without a subject, even though it's implied.
Guess I've been soaking in Japanese and Korean too long that it's affected my writing style. That and programming languages. Feels unnecessarily cumbersome to have to put the subject in every sentence when it's clear who the subject is given this is a biography. Very well though, as I work with feedback I'll see if I can touch a few things here and there.

Edit:
On that note, Hinagiku bio can be uploaded to the website now. Blargh, can't help but feel it's inelegant but we don't have time for perfection (even if there wasn't a deadline, there's my life that's placing time limits too).

Edit2:
As is Suigintou bio.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)

Last edited by Psieye; 2008-04-01 at 05:15.
Old 2008-04-01, 05:41   Link #1063
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Edit:
On that note, Hinagiku bio can be uploaded to the website now. Blargh, can't help but feel it's inelegant but we don't have time for perfection (even if there wasn't a deadline, there's my life that's placing time limits too).

Edit2:
As is Suigintou bio.
I have an Anne Dickinson to worry about, then a whole boatload of classes to go to (Tuesday's usually my hard on schoolwork day). I don't know if I will have time to do it Tuesday night, since in addition to the votes and stuff, I have to make up a standings template on excel similar to the schedule program I'm using so that I would be able to present it along with a country participation update. And I need to have a country participation update by Thursday - my dad wants to know just how much international support my website has been getting.

EDIT: You and I both wish Hina's bio was longer. Fortunately, there's a Hayate no Gotoku season two coming out soon.

EDIT2: Crud, I have a feeling Suigintou's Saimoé history will be pretty long...
Old 2008-04-01, 06:06   Link #1064
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Wuch... another season of Hayate when 52 eps wasn't enough for them... I... uh... I'm gonna have to watch it by motivating myself with "it is your duty as a Lore Hunter to know the latest developments for these girls that will do well in SaiMoe". Lack of plot is one thing, but shounen harem protagonist (even if he didn't start as one) is a show killer for me, no matter how awesome the girls are.

Oh and yeah, do take your time getting your part of the profiles up. We all have plenty of things we need to do both ISML and outside.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)

Last edited by Psieye; 2008-04-01 at 06:17.
Old 2008-04-01, 06:25   Link #1065
wontaek

I have posted an ad for Korean Translator in Anizone. I wish I am available to do the translation myself, but I have Physics GRE Subject test coming up in 10 days.
Old 2008-04-01, 06:27   Link #1066
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I have posted an ad for Korean Translator in Anizone. I wish I am available to do the translation myself, but I have Physics GRE Subject test coming up in 10 days.
Tutor me, please. And yes, that will definitely help. In all honesty, the sudden disappearance of Adrenalin is just odd. Were there any news around your area?
Old 2008-04-01, 06:35   Link #1067
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Tutor me, please. And yes, that will definitely help. In all honesty, the sudden disappearance of Adrenalin is just odd. Were there any news around your area?
Afraid not. If you post Physics Questions and tell me where it is posted, I will answer to my best ability.
Old 2008-04-01, 07:17   Link #1068
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Hmm... I was just going through some of the written stuff on the website and happened to read on Hinagiku's profile and well... I burned my own eyes with the spoiler innocently sitting there.

So here comes the question, is the write-up intended to carry spoilers as well? Just wanted to be sure.

Edit : Ok. My bad. The thing was meant to be spoiler for anyone who has not watched/kept up with the series.
Old 2008-04-01, 07:21   Link #1069
Psieye
Lore Hunter

I repeat: wrong bio. That Hinagiku writing was before I was called to re-do everything - where Minhtam had to manually research data without knowing where each piece of lore came from (Hinagiku backstory is never explored in the anime). The new bio is awaiting upload by Minhtam. Actually Minhtam, to avoid confusion, take down all the profiles of the first ten that haven't been re-written by me? Won't be long before they're back up.

We need volunteers to write out the Saimoe History section (we can provide the data - just turn it into narrative) of those profiles because it's suicidal for a busy webmaster/student/vote-counter to also have to write out 50+ of those (even if 17 of them are simple due to being nominations).

Back to your question, alphastickmania:

The general approach is to avoid spoilers - an approach I'm coming to hate because I need to write Hanyuu and it's just not possible to write anything really meaningful for her under this restriction. Mind, someone should check the Tessa bio up on the website because that got finalised before we decided to avoid spoilers, but from my perspective those aren't eyeburning things in Tessa's bio.

Last edited by Psieye; 2008-04-01 at 08:50.
Old 2008-04-01, 07:29   Link #1070
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
I repeat: wrong bio. That Hinagiku writing was before I was called to re-do everything - where Minhtam had to manually research data without knowing where each piece of lore came from (Hinagiku backstory is never explored in the anime). The new bio is awaiting upload by Minhtam.

The general approach is to avoid spoilers - an approach I'm coming to hate because I need to write Hanyuu and it's just not possible to write anything really meaningful for her under this restriction. Mind, someone should check the Tessa bio up on the website because that got finalised before we decided to avoid spoilers, but from my perspective those aren't eyeburning things in Tessa's bio.
Didn't watch FMP. Can't help you there. What have you got for Hanyuu now? (Uh yes. You can't say she is the Oya*****-sama for those who haven't watched/still watching Season 1 because that is absolute spoiler. Maybe something like she is only officially introduced in Season 2?)
Old 2008-04-01, 07:30   Link #1071
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
why not just make a summary of the bio without spoilers and then under it, under spoiler tags maybe, the whole bio which contains spoilers... warning them beforehand that they will encounter spoilers if they read what's under the tags...

anywayz...
some tamao-chan...
Old 2008-04-01, 07:43   Link #1072
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:
Wuch... another season of Hayate when 52 eps wasn't enough for them... I... uh... I'm gonna have to watch it by motivating myself with "it is your duty as a Lore Hunter to know the latest developments for these girls that will do well in SaiMoe". Lack of plot is one thing, but shounen harem protagonist (even if he didn't start as one) is a show killer for me, no matter how awesome the girls are.

Oh and yeah, do take your time getting your part of the profiles up. We all have plenty of things we need to do both ISML and outside.
If it's Lore hunting in Hayate you're interested in, I could help you, but there's a lot of spoiler-ific material mixed in with the non-spoiler-ific stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastickmania View Post
Hmm... I was just going through some of the written stuff on the website and happened to read on Hinagiku's profile and well... I burned my own eyes with the spoiler innocently sitting there.

So here comes the question, is the write-up intended to carry spoilers as well? Just wanted to be sure.

Edit : Ok. My bad. The thing was meant to be spoiler for anyone who has not watched/kept up with the series.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-01, 07:44   Link #1073
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3phyr.mp3 View Post
why not just make a summary of the bio without spoilers and then under it, under spoiler tags maybe, the whole bio which contains spoilers... warning them beforehand that they will encounter spoilers if they read what's under the tags...

anywayz...
some tamao-chan...
Sounds like a pretty good idea.

About the pictures :

Picture 1 looks good. Is picture 2 a fan-art? (It most likely is, isn't it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
Spoiler:
What? I don't get what you mean.
Old 2008-04-01, 07:50   Link #1074
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Spoiler for Hinagiku:
Old 2008-04-01, 07:52   Link #1075
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
Quote:
Sounds like a pretty good idea.

About the pictures :

Picture 1 looks good. Is picture 2 a fan-art? (It most likely is, isn't it?)
both pictures are fanart...
Old 2008-04-01, 07:54   Link #1076
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
Spoiler for Hinagiku:
Yeah. But I think I saw more than that. Stuff that is spoiler for those who haven't watched at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3phyr.mp3 View Post
both pictures are fanart...
Hmm... The first one looked real enough and considering I never followed that series, I guess that the best of which I can tell what is fanart or not. :P

Extra : I now see why a couple of pages can pop up overnight.
Old 2008-04-01, 08:42   Link #1077
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
What have you got for Hanyuu now?
Nothing yet - writing priority is given to those who already have their pictures chosen and who have a Saimoe history written up. I got ideas for how to write it though, and I'm going to try hard not to let the bitterness drip through. Actually, I'm curious how it'll turn out too - gimme a few hours and I'll have it done after I finish off Nagi.

Spoiler tags would indeed be best but then I'd get carried away with some characters and inundate people with 3 layers of spoilers: late-anime spoilers, beyond-anime spoilers, doujin spoilers.

Quote:
If it's Lore hunting in Hayate you're interested in, I could help you, but there's a lot of spoiler-ific material mixed in with the non-spoiler-ific stuff.
No what I mean is, I loved Hayate no Gotoku at first but after almost 50 subbed eps, the love's all been worn off and I'm somewhat bitter of how it keeps generating episodes where nothing develops (read: the "Status Quo is Gold" approach). Unless S2 starts Going Somewhere very quickly, it'll reduce to a chore I 'need' to do for the sake of Lore.

Quote:
Yeah. But I think I saw more than that. Stuff that is spoiler for those who haven't watched at all.
What you read is spoiler for those who have watched the anime as well.

Quote:
Holy shit, yes! "Don't care what the source is so long as artstyle and expression looks official and in-character" is my stance. Source image?

Last edited by Psieye; 2008-04-01 at 08:53.
Old 2008-04-01, 08:54   Link #1078
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

In class now - will upload Hinagiku after I get things settled. And yeah, I will cut off links from incomplete biographies before we do that.
Old 2008-04-01, 09:02   Link #1079
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:

No what I mean is, I loved Hayate no Gotoku at first but after almost 50 subbed eps, the love's all been worn off and I'm somewhat bitter of how it keeps generating episodes where nothing develops (read: the "Status Quo is Gold" approach). Unless S2 starts Going Somewhere very quickly, it'll reduce to a chore I 'need' to do for the sake of Lore.
I agree, S2 needs to fill in the major plot dead-ends left there by S1.

But then again, it could be said that the Essence of Hayate, EVEN in the Manga, is randomness and references, that should actually make your job a lot easier.

Oh, by the way, read Yuki's draft, a little too much there on her Alien side, especially with the IDE, re-reading to see what I can help with.
Old 2008-04-01, 09:09   Link #1080
Psieye
Lore Hunter

True, condensing it would help, but I am not going to compromise on educating people just how powerful the IDSE (and thus, Yuki) is.

Quote:
But then again, it could be said that the Essence of Hayate, EVEN in the Manga, is randomness and references, that should actually make your job a lot easier.
And no, it doesn't make my job easier. I've heard the manga stagnates after a certain point into the eternal harem inconclusion which means S2 won't tie anything up. Crack references are fun and all (one of my favourite genres actually), but only when there isn't an irritating harem protagonist in sight.

Closed Thread

Tags
i-moe, i-saimoe, isml, saimoe