AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-05-25, 01:18   Link #181
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Blizzard only releases when they feel a title is polished, so I am also doubtful about an October release. I was a beta tester for the original Starcraft, and as far as I remember, we were testing that one for at least 3 months if not more.
Oct. '08

Honestly, I thought it would be sooner. I thought the 10 year anniversary of spring '08 might be picked. I know it's Blizzard, but 4 YEARS people...
Old 2007-05-25, 01:32   Link #182
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
Oct. '08

Honestly, I thought it would be sooner. I thought the 10 year anniversary of spring '08 might be picked. I know it's Blizzard, but 4 YEARS people...
Don't forget incidents such as the time it took for them to release that Diablo2 patch. Blizzard even poked fun at themselves by drawing Diablo chilling in Hell where it was snowing and releasing the image along with the patch.

4 years for a game development? That might be considered long in other game companies where they are pressured by twits who don't understand their syntax from context, but Blizzard has never been one to succumb to pressure to rush their game development.

They will take their time. We might gnaw on our bones and tendons waiting for it to be released, but considering that StarCraft is "only" in the Alpha-stage at this point, an Oct'08 release would be considered a speed record of sorts.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-25, 01:39   Link #183
Smithj

Hmmmm...

Took a look at the website and I can see where he's getting the "Warcraft III look" from. The Zealot's strolling animation vaguely reminds me of the Footmen or the Male Human figure. To be honest, it reminds me most of the Russian Officer from Fields of Thunder. Then again, the Zealot is rather bulky.

What seems to me is that they are simply chucking a 3d Graphics ontop of the original Starcraft with a few extra tweaks and graphical goodness. It appears that they are keeping the core material and doing a few bits here and there to expand on it; kind of like a expansion pack, only larger. Not that this is a bad thing, it's probably wise to not stray too far but it's to my annoyance they took so long to show me something like that.

The movie nor screenshots show me any form of Battlefield damage, persisting rubble, some form of deeper strategy then micromanagement and counter X vs unit Y. Cmon it's 2007 and it's been proven games can indeed do this. I think the main problem here is that Starcraft is still using single men units that are not affected by anything but *spells* and damage inflicting attacks. Again keeping the old is still a good idea, it will still be a complete sell out; it's Starcraft, it's keeping the general things that made it popular and Blizzard being Blizzard, they won't cut it after one or two patches like some other games.

Then again, I shouldn't really judge a book by it's cover. Just my few thoughts about it.

Last edited by Smithj; 2007-05-25 at 01:49.
Smithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 03:34   Link #184
hipeach

So there will be no Xel'Naga or Protoss-Zerg in SC2? what a bummer!
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 03:48   Link #185
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What a relief, more like it.
Adding a Protoss-Zerg combination would only show lack of imagination.
The Xel'Naga thing hasn't completly disapeared, although they might add something and call it something else then Xel'Naga, I do believe there is already a Naga in W3 so it might be too cliche to add a Xel'Naga in SC2.

As for the colosus thing, yes it does get hit terran anti-air. Ain't it sweet. =)
Old 2007-05-25, 03:48   Link #186
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach View Post
So there will be no Xel'Naga or Protoss-Zerg in SC2? what a bummer!
Not as playable races... but supposedly, the Zel'Naga will be featured more in SC2's storyline.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 05:03   Link #187
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithj View Post
Hmmmm...

Took a look at the website and I can see where he's getting the "Warcraft III look" from. The Zealot's strolling animation vaguely reminds me of the Footmen or the Male Human figure. To be honest, it reminds me most of the Russian Officer from Fields of Thunder. Then again, the Zealot is rather bulky.

What seems to me is that they are simply chucking a 3d Graphics ontop of the original Starcraft with a few extra tweaks and graphical goodness. It appears that they are keeping the core material and doing a few bits here and there to expand on it; kind of like a expansion pack, only larger. Not that this is a bad thing, it's probably wise to not stray too far but it's to my annoyance they took so long to show me something like that.

The movie nor screenshots show me any form of Battlefield damage, persisting rubble, some form of deeper strategy then micromanagement and counter X vs unit Y. Cmon it's 2007 and it's been proven games can indeed do this. I think the main problem here is that Starcraft is still using single men units that are not affected by anything but *spells* and damage inflicting attacks. Again keeping the old is still a good idea, it will still be a complete sell out; it's Starcraft, it's keeping the general things that made it popular and Blizzard being Blizzard, they won't cut it after one or two patches like some other games.

Then again, I shouldn't really judge a book by it's cover. Just my few thoughts about it.
Sometimes simpler is better so that strength of strategy is free to grow without extra clutter. No one argues that chess is outdated, do they? Starcraft, to me, is it's own brand of chess. Why mess with it? Does chess need a physics engine?
Old 2007-05-25, 10:14   Link #188
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
Sometimes simpler is better so that strength of strategy is free to grow without extra clutter. No one argues that chess is outdated, do they? Starcraft, to me, is it's own brand of chess. Why mess with it? Does chess need a physics engine?
well, the difference between chess and Starcraft is, there's no Chess 2, while Blizzard wants to make a Starcraft 2 to grab more money. They need to make Starcraft 2 with enough improvements to qualify for the "2", instead of just another add-on with some changed sprites.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 17:58   Link #189
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

how come there are no pictures of firebats? WHERE ARE THE FIREBATS?!? DON'T TELL ME THEY TOOK OUT FIREBATS?!?!
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 18:02   Link #190
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach View Post
well, the difference between chess and Starcraft is, there's no Chess 2, while Blizzard wants to make a Starcraft 2 to grab more money. They need to make Starcraft 2 with enough improvements to qualify for the "2", instead of just another add-on with some changed sprites.
Actually, there is Chess 2. Specifically, the version we play today is chess 2. Originally the Queen can only move one square diagonally (chauvinistic history and all, thus the Queen was weaker than the King.), the Bishop can only move two squares diagonally, and pawns can only be promoted to Queens. Chess 1 was a much slower game, so Chess 2 improves overall game flow and tactics. Add-ons indeeed.
Old 2007-05-25, 18:21   Link #191
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Zergies? No. Kerri because she was one extremely good-looking girl when she was human?

YES.

Which is why there needs to be a campaign to de-infest her!
Or a campaign to kill her.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 19:06   Link #192
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
2. Originally the Queen can only move one square diagonally (chauvinistic history and all, thus the Queen was weaker than the King.)
Ah...so the game has been updated so that the only female piece on the board can have any other piece's precious bits in a vice-grip in roughly 1-2 moves. Yup, that about sums up the modern world
Old 2007-05-25, 22:01   Link #193
Smithj

Indeed.

The Chess with, say, Lord of the Rings pieces and 3D Chessmaster are both just Chess with cosmetic changes.

Which is why I am rather annoyed. They could have kept the old and picked it up here and there. It appears to me as a good excuse to release new units and change a few bits here and there. Not that it's a bad thing; it's probably a good thing.

Hence it's a larger than large expansion pack.

Though can't judge it yet. Hasn't even released a playable demo from what I know.
Smithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 22:34   Link #194
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithj View Post
Indeed.

The Chess with, say, Lord of the Rings pieces and 3D Chessmaster are both just Chess with cosmetic changes.

Which is why I am rather annoyed. They could have kept the old and picked it up here and there. It appears to me as a good excuse to release new units and change a few bits here and there. Not that it's a bad thing; it's probably a good thing.

Hence it's a larger than large expansion pack.

Though can't judge it yet. Hasn't even released a playable demo from what I know.
That's the thing; we don't really know much about the full list of units yet. I am prepared to be optimistic while waiting for Blizzard to finalise the buildings and units on all three sides first.
Old 2007-05-27, 03:11   Link #195
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Once more, the drums of war thunder across the galaxy, once more Terrans must enter the field of battle. The time has come for us to prove the superiority of the mighty human race. Let our enemies know, that nothing can stand against our wrath. Our soldiers, hardened by the wars, that fill our history, will carry forth the banner of our people. Bring forth the steel ranks of Terran marines, crush the Zerg beneath the treads of our Siege tanks. Shoot down the Protoss with our Battlecruisers. Let their attacks melt away in a wall of fire. Let our enemies be purged by the fires of nuclear storm. Let them know, that everyone, who dares to raise their hand against the Terrans, will be mercilessly struck down. Every foe must be prepared to fight us until our last breath, for we will never surrender and no alien or creature will be allowed to live.

As you can see I'm a huge Terran fan. And SC II will give me the opportunity to lead them again.
Old 2007-05-27, 09:12   Link #196
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Doesn't matter what you say, the toss will rule with the mother ship! It's the weapon that I had always wanted next to firebat, it brings the phse "BURN BABY BURN" to a whole new level. Must remember to do the evil laugh

Still, WHERE ARE THE FIREBATS?!?
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 09:21   Link #197
Child_of_Sierra

was there any indication if the protoss mothership is immune to lockdown? if it's not then it won't be that overpowering
Old 2007-05-27, 09:37   Link #198
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
was there any indication if the protoss mothership is immune to lockdown? if it's not then it won't be that overpowering
Or even better, Parasite.

"You sure you want to rebuild another one?"

Heh.
Old 2007-05-27, 11:00   Link #199
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Or even better, Parasite.

"You sure you want to rebuild another one?"

Heh.
I always prefer playing the smaller units. The BC and the protess Carrier were too slow and too big a target imo. Their biggest advantage is distracting the enemy. I much prefer building 3-4 wraiths or scouts to building one big unit.
Old 2007-05-27, 18:04   Link #200
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Personally I think in the original Starcraft, the Protoss were pretty much overpowered, and the new trailer looks like this trend is going to continue.
I dunno about that. Their units came with a pretty hefty price tag. And if they were so overpowered, why don't pro's show a preference towards them?

Quote:
I just hope, that there will be larger maps in the new game.
I'd like to have maps, that are large enough, that the earliest force, which departs from a players base, will only reach the other player, when he had time enough to fully develop his base. I really hated those fast players, that destroyed your base a few minutes after the game started.
That sentiment I can agree with. Blizzard was talking about 20 minute matches. I've never been a big fan of rush matches...I prefer having the time to build a larger army. But if you try to institute a no-rush rule on battle.net, half the time some jackass attacks well before NR is over- even after agreeing to said rule. That's probably the single reason that I tend to stick to SP or vs comps.

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows