AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2007-06-30, 16:04   Link #1
Vali

Looking for Fantasy/Romance/Supernatural anime.

Looking for something like touka gettan and yami to boushi to hon no tabibito. Something with a lot of magic, wonderful artwork, interesting romance story, etc. I would prefer it if there was less ecchiness than the ones mentioned above, but if you know an extremely exceptional show (that just so happens to be tainted with some ecchi), i would still like to hear of it regardless.

Thanks in advance.
Vali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 16:25   Link #2
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I don't know either of the two anime you listed but Cardcaptor Sakura has...well some magic, wonderful artwork (exceptionally for 1998!), and very ineteresting romance stories. Trust me, there are...very interesting stories. Of course there's no ecchi, because that's just wrong for this anime.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 19:14   Link #3
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Zero no Tsukaima ~ there's some ecchi scenes I think... but not in a bad way , consists of romance/comedy/magic genres... and season 2 is nearly coming...

Mai Hime ~ a good anime I think w/ some Romance/Fantasy genres...

Fruits Basket ~ very nice story... well drawn characters... Romance/Comedy/Fantasy anime...

Kanon 2k6 ~ (must seen) nice storyline, nice characters, great animation/effects...
Romance/Fantasy/Drama/some sort of comedy....

Shakugan no Shana ~ nice anime as well Romance/Fantasy w/ some minor comedy and action...

Midori Days
is also a good one but there are several ecchi in it though I think it is made for some laughter...
Old 2007-06-30, 20:25   Link #4
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
The Vision of Escaflowne
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Fate/Stay Night
Air
Except for the last one, all have a fair amount of action thrown into the package.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 21:29   Link #5
UPR

Elemental Gelade
Shakugan no Shana- 2nd season in october
Zero no Tsukaima-2nd season in july
Rahxephon
Dn Angel
Busou Renkin
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 05:20   Link #6
Vali

Thanks guys, but ive already seen most of them, and they dont quite fit the criteria i am craving. The only one that i liked out of the shows mentioned was Air (i also liked kanon, but i prefered the former).

Any other ideas?
Old 2007-07-01, 05:33   Link #7
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Hmm... then maybe Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and/or sola. Altough they doesn't have a lot of magic but they have fantasy, romance and supernatural aspects...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 05:37   Link #8
Vali

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Hmm... then maybe Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and/or sola. Altough they doesn't have a lot of magic but they have fantasy, romance and supernatural aspects...
Ive already seen both of them (currently awaiting ep 13 of sola)
Old 2007-07-01, 10:53   Link #9
lftwgr

Kono minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai (This Ugly yet Beautiful World) - fits your description but it has the infamous Gainaxed ending (open-ended, bittersweet, bordering on 'what-the-heck-were-they-smoking?').
lftwgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 11:43   Link #10
Vali

Quote:
Originally Posted by lftwgr View Post
Kono minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai (This Ugly yet Beautiful World) - fits your description but it has the infamous Gainaxed ending (open-ended, bittersweet, bordering on 'what-the-heck-were-they-smoking?').
Hmmm. I might give that a shot.Thanks.

Keep them coming guys.
Old 2007-07-01, 13:39   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Mahoromatic doesn't have a lot of magic but an interesting romance story (very interesting) with some comedy and action. It was Gainaxed also, but if you don't watch the final episode, then you will be spared of the Gainaxedness so it's not that badly Gainaxed.
Old 2007-07-01, 13:46   Link #12
Kaiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Mahoromatic doesn't have a lot of magic but an interesting romance story (very interesting) with some comedy and action. It was Gainaxed also, but if you don't watch the final episode, then you will be spared of the Gainaxedness so it's not that badly Gainaxed.
The second season has a complete ending.
Kaiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 13:49   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

That's what I'm talking about...the second season messed up the ending.
Old 2007-07-05, 06:17   Link #14
nikooru-chan
~Lunar Midnight~

a new anime that came out that is romance/fantasy/supernatural is shinkyoku soukai polyphonica

u might like it...a lot of people that have started watching it says it's like shakugan no shana
nikooru-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 08:58   Link #15
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
Have you tried Rozen Maiden, Paradise Kiss, Claymore and Magikano? Claymore, among others, is awesome dude.
Pendevous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 15:23   Link #16
firealicegrl
~alice student~

okay so i'm also looking for generally the same animes as you and i have no idea what any of the above are like as i am just starting to come into the world of anime(and manga) but i have seen some anime which might fill the criteria. if they dont im sorry. but they also might seem a tad childish, as i kind of am(yes i admit it)
the first is like to say is gakuen alice. yes its about mostly 10 year olds, but its funny, its unique, it has a supernatural twist in it, and there is the general romance of u know boy likes girl but doesnt admit it, the usual. and there is a good amount of action. to me at least. 26 eps, possible 2nd season in march
vampire knight, tho lacking in the romance category is good(i think so anyway)but the action is there as is the supernatural. only 13 eps tho.
shugo chara(okay so ive only seen one episode) so i dont know if theres romance(im assuming there is tho) but fantasy does place a part in it. and there is a good amount of comedy and action(so ive gathered).
sorry if they didnt help, hoping they did. i completly reccomend gakuen alice
oh and inuyasha. good romance, good comedy, loads of action, and supernatural is a way you could put it
:-)
firealicegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 16:33   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are some suggestions you might enjoy. As a father myself, I've tried to pick age-appropriate shows.

The following are licensed:

Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, known in English as "Tweeny Witches"
It's a retelling of the Alice in Wonderland story. A spunky human girl, named Alice of course, falls into a world where magic rules. The show combines beautiful artwork with a compelling and rather dark story. How can you not watch this one, Alice-chan?

Saiunkoku Monogatari
A feisty young woman tries to become the first female official in an Asian empire modelled on China. The show mixes drama, humor, and romance and portrays one of the most impressive heroines I've seen in anime.

Juuni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms" in English)
Darker and more violent than most of the other shows in this group, but also one of the classics of modern anime. A timid high-school girl is transported to a fantastical Asian empire and discovers her true destiny.

Noein
This is a science-fiction show, but like most Japanese sci-fi, it's as much fantasy as science. A young girl discovers that she's the nexus of a conflict between parallel dimensions. Drama and romance primarily, with a little comedy here and there.

Any movie by Miyazaki Hideo, particularly Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. I've not seen Nausicaa or My Neighbor Totoro, but they get a lot of praise as well. The DVDs for these movies are pretty widely available in the West.

Wikipedia links for these shows and Princess Mononoke are in my signature; mouse over the images to find them.

Unlicensed shows listed on the AS series page.

Dennou Coil
Another science fiction show, and again one with supernatural overtones. A group of elementary school children live in a near-future Japanese city where a virtual world overlays the physical one. The children discover that their virtual playground may have a darker side.

Ghost Hound
A strange, dark, but beautiful show about three boys who become adept at "astral projection" and discover their town is threatened by mysterious forces. Mixes the supernatural, psychiatry, and brain science with a romantic subplot.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume ("Daugher of Twenty Faces")
A young heiress encounters a mysterious master thief and has many adventures. Though unlicensed, forum rules require that you find the subs for this one on your own.

Natsume Yuujinchou
A boy who can see spirits discovers a strange book left to him by his demon-fighting grandmother. A rather melancholic show so far, but definitely one of the best shows of the summer. (Not yet complete)

Nodame Cantabile
A flaky college-aged pianist learns about herself while attending a classical music academy and maybe finds romance as well. Nothing supernatural in this one. The early going has a somewhat "hentai" older male character, but there's no real sex in the show.

Shion no Ou
A young girl witnesses the brutal murder of her parents and later becomes a prodigy in the world of professional Shougi ("Japanese chess"). Probably the most violent of the shows in this group, but worth watching for Shion herself, who is my favorite heroine of the past few seasons. There's a little bit of romance mixed in amongst the drama.

Well, that should get you started, along with the many other suggestions in the thread above. Enjoy!

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-09-07 at 19:49. Reason: grammar; description of Reiko in NY
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 21:43   Link #18
MamoruUsagi

Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Absolute Boyfriend
Fushigi Yugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Sailor Moon

Names are mentioned twice because the series go by multiple names.

Fushigi Yuugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Sailor Moon
Absolute Boyfriend

Ceres Celestial Legend is a manga where the couple is dating and in a deep relationship. Their are many sex scenes, hundreds of kissing scenes, lots of making out in beds and the couple is living together and in a committed relationship. There are many break ups and it's a mature romance, the manga has sex scenes and lots of making out and the relationship goes much deeper and the couple is dating for a longer time.

Fushigi Yugi the manga goes much farther than the show. The couple is dating for a much longer time, they are engaged and in a committed relationship all throughout the second half of the manga, they are dating for a much longer time and have many more scenes as a couple in a relationship, there is lots more making out and the sex scene in volume 18 is passionate and moving, the relationship in the manga is much more mature than in the show. The Fushigi Yugi manga goes much further and is longer than the Fushigi Yuugi show.

Sailor Moon the manga has the couple in a serious relationship, they get engaged, go from boyfriend and girlfriend to husband and wife, get married, have a kid and have lots of passionate scenes as a loving couple, they were dating in a past life and are dating in the present and get to meet their future kid while they are still dating. The manga has so much more to their relationship and it's much more intimate, passionate and they are dating for a much longer time.

Absolute Boyfriend has the main couple hook up in the beginning, the first chapter, the fantasy part of the series comes later on.

All of these series have couples that are boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and in a relationship during the series, get engaged or married or live together, ahve sex and have a child.
MamoruUsagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 17:49   Link #19
Vashar

I haven't watched any of the anime you listed, but from everything else you described, Tsubasa Chronicle instantly comes to mind.
Vashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 12:01   Link #20
esmon

i second DN angel or maybe third dn angel i lazy read though dn angel really is nice~~!! it totally rox!! ending will make u unsatisfied cos the main character's best bud was sealed and din come back ... i cried though T^T
esmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, supernatural