AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-16, 03:55   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Character Discussion - Chitanda Eru

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Eru Chitanda related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Hyouka fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:51   Link #2
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

A little too excitable in the first four episodes for my taste (one of the reasons I'm lukewarm on Hyouka thus far is this character). The way Chitanda constantly thrusts her face in Houtarou's face and her breathless voice are kind of annoying. The girl has no concept of personal space, although Houtarou doesn't seem to mind that much.
Old 2012-05-17, 03:45   Link #3
TimeSkip

Quote:
The way Chitanda constantly thrusts her face in Houtarou's face and her breathless voice are kind of annoying
A smart person acting like an airhead is more interesting to me. Not only did Eru thrust her face in Houtarou's face, she also constantly held his hands and sat very close to him. If Eru had taken a polite-girl approach, it would have taken her a long time to get Houtarou to do what she wanted. She used her pretty face to her advantage. In fact, she only did those in the early episodes. Once she has Houtarou wrapped around her little finger, she doesn't do it often.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:06   Link #4
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
I am still curious about her character (overall, not just her looking for her uncle)
Old 2012-05-17, 09:12   Link #5
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I still believe that she is somehow related to the Hypnotoad. Her huge eyes, her brain waves that gather followers around and even make that walking ball of cynicism that is Houtarou help her out...

she is not normal... and dem eyes...

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-05-17, 10:03   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSkip View Post
A smart person acting like an airhead...
With the possible exception of "Dem Eyes", this "smart person acting like an airhead" aspect is probably the main thing I like about Eru.

Her insatiable curiosity is presented in an often comical way, imo. The way she breathlessly needs to know everything about every mundane mystery/question that catches her attention is pretty funny to me.

Would I personally want to deal with a person like this on a regular basis? Probably not. But it sure is funny to watch Houtarou have to deal with it.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:58   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
You know, I was thinking the other day that the classical music BGM is almost like a "symbolization" of Chitanda's soul, and the effect he has on Houtarou.... Just a thought.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-05-19 at 16:00. Reason: misspelling -_-
Old 2012-05-18, 21:12   Link #8
Shadow5YA

Eh... "smart" is a little too vague and subjective of a term for me to believe. Your rank in your class is determined by a grade score, not some metaphysical gauge of natural intellect. Eru can be the top of her class through effort as well. She doesn't have to be naturally smart like Houtarou at all.

For example, take the famous Dr. Watson. As evident by his doctorate title, he should be "smart," but he is still overshadowed by Sherlock Holmes who comes from a less distinguished background.

In the same fashion as Watson and Holmes, I think Eru just serves as a foil to bring out Houtarou's talents, which would normally go unrecognized by the public eye.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:57   Link #9
Lilith
Your average fangirl

It's been a long time since I liked a female lead (The most recent one is Sora from Yosuga no Sora )

I like the way Hotarou reacts to her and how his imagination runs wild (the tentacle hair and the dog shape <3).

What bugs me is how she acts so intimate with him. Even if she wants to charm him into satisfying her curiosity, she should know better than act like a flirt.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:11   Link #10
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

One thing I noticed is that she shares this "intimacy" only with Oreki. Notice how Mayaka and Satoshi aren't really all that intimate with her, but she immediately throws dem eyes around and is basically: "lol-private-space-wat" on poor Houtarou.

Food for thought.

Arturia

Old 2012-05-19, 02:14   Link #11
rickiminato

damn I love her eyes
is so moe
Old 2012-05-19, 02:49   Link #12
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
What bugs me is how she acts so intimate with him. Even if she wants to charm him into satisfying her curiosity, she should know better than act like a flirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
One thing I noticed is that she shares this "intimacy" only with Oreki. Notice how Mayaka and Satoshi aren't really all that intimate with her, but she immediately throws dem eyes around and is basically: "lol-private-space-wat" on poor Houtarou.

Food for thought.

Arturia
Well, as much as Houtarou was fascinated by her, she maybe as well since their first meeting. He immediately solved the mystery as she requested after all. Now we have the guy who think satisfying the girl is something he has to do (despite his energy conservativeness) and the girl who think this guy can satisfy all of her curiosity. Let's see how this goes
Old 2012-05-19, 02:50   Link #13
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Satisfy ALL of her curiosity?

I've seen enough anime to know where this is going!

Arturia

Old 2012-05-19, 03:12   Link #14
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Hahaha, nice.

Well Satoshi and Mayaka are not commenting on her closeness to Hotarou, and poor him can't complain out loud (I love the little details like a sweatdrop or moving an inch away), so I'm looking forward to their blooming romance.

On another note, can someone tell me if the name "Eru" is popular? Doesn't sound too similar to "erotica"?
Old 2012-05-19, 03:15   Link #15
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

One thing I'm really worried about in this series, is the romance aspect. I understand that this isn't a romantic novel, but it isn't also purely detective work...

On ANY romance novel, there's some kind of love triangle... I mean it'll be pretty boring if Eru and Houtarou hook up and voila, happy ever after... But I'm also racking my brains thinking of who will be involved in a (potential) love triangle...

Anyone else also bothered by this?

Arturia

Old 2012-05-19, 04:01   Link #16
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
...so I'm looking forward to their blooming romance.
Quote:
On ANY romance novel, there's some kind of love triangle... I mean it'll be pretty boring if Eru and Houtarou hook up and voila, happy ever after... But I'm also racking my brains thinking of who will be involved in a (potential) love triangle...
This is not a romance novel though, but, IIRC, "a story about the bitter-sweetness of growing up." So I'm actually more worried by the fact that the setup between Eru and Houtarou, so far, is too perfect.
Old 2012-05-19, 04:05   Link #17
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
This is not a romance novel though, but, IIRC, "a story about the bitter-sweetness of growing up." So I'm actually more worried by the fact that the setup between Eru and Houtarou, so far, is too perfect.
That is exactly my point. It all looks to be all flowers and ponies... Even if it isn't a romance novel, the setting is there, and it seems TOO perfect as you quite rightly said.

Even if it's a mystery novel, and it's about the "bitter-sweetness of growing up" It's bound to involve some kind of romance at some point (not that I read the actual novel) and it seems that they just click perfectly.

In any case, that's a discussion for another thread.

Arturia

Old 2012-05-19, 06:53   Link #18
novalysis

Quote:
One thing I'm really worried about in this series, is the romance aspect. I understand that this isn't a romantic novel, but it isn't also purely detective work...

Anyone else also bothered by this?

Arturia
Love Triangles, alas to me are an annoying cliche. So long as Romance serves as a sub-lot, Eru and Houtarou naturally hooking up together over a period of character development sounds very, very unique and refreshing to me, in the world of recent Romance animes, especially of the Rom-Com variant. Worst offenders are the Harem Echii Rom-Coms.
Old 2012-05-19, 09:40   Link #19
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Eh... "smart" is a little too vague and subjective of a term for me to believe. Your rank in your class is determined by a grade score, not some metaphysical gauge of natural intellect. Eru can be the top of her class through effort as well. She doesn't have to be naturally smart like Houtarou at all.
This is true. Even Chitanda herself says that getting good grades just means that she understands the pieces/parts . . . ergo the bits you can pick up through study. Oreki makes her curious because he clearly grasps how all those parts and pieces work together in a whole system.

Quote:
In the same fashion as Watson and Holmes, I think Eru just serves as a foil to bring out Houtarou's talents, which would normally go unrecognized by the public eye.
I'd say that 'Watson' is served by Satoshi, Mayaka, and Eru together. Though Eru also serves as half of Houtarou's Holmes. Without Eru, Houtarou has all the brains, but no motivation to apply his considerable powers of deduction. As has been said in another thread, he's more like Mycroft Holmes, rather than Sherlock Holmes . . . at least until you mix in a little HYPNOTOAD Eru. She provides the curiosity and motivation that Houtarou would otherwise lack.
Old 2012-05-19, 10:36   Link #20
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Just for reference, the Japanese Wikipedia has it like this for Hyouka(volume one):

Houtarou: Holmes
Satoshi: Dr. Watson
Mayaka: Inspector Lestrade
Eru: the client
       /
      / \|
    /
Closed Thread

Tags
characters