AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-11-03, 14:45   Link #1
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

US Presidential Election: Bush Wins

Even though I didn't vote for the guy, I hope that this election helps him realize that our country needs to be united more than ever before. It was cool for Kerry to concede, considering another recount would really jack up our national unity, much like it did 4 years ago. That's just something we don't need right now. Here's hoping that things will be looking up for the nation and to the next four years of fun. Don't send me to Iraq again...

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 14:52   Link #2
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
By the way, if you heard a "crack" sound don't worry. That's just one of the locks keeping closed the gate of the apocolypse breaking off.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 14:57   Link #3
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The thing is, Kerry didn't need to concede when he did. He could have still won if he only waited for the absentee, military and provisional votes to be counted.

By conceding when he did, he effectively threw away the election.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:02   Link #4
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Amen, he simply gave in political pressure for the sake of coming out looking good. He should of at least waited to see if there was any chance with the ballots that werent counted yet.
音楽は死んだ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:12   Link #5
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Well, if he did attempt to have a recount, that would put so much doubt in Americans' minds about our electoral system. Second, that would divide us even more, which is one thing we really don't need right now. I mean, I'm a Democrat and voted for Kerry, but he would have more likely lost (especially after reading what the popular vote was in Ohio, Iowa and New Mexico wouldn't have mattered because it wasn't enough for both of them to win 270). Oh well, I'm glad it happened this way and there's always 4 years from now.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:15   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
Even though I didn't vote for the guy, I hope that this election helps him realize that our country needs to be united more than ever before.
You're alot more optimistic than me. It's all in Bush's hands though. If he decides that uniting means making concessions and compromises than maybe we'll get somewhere. If he just sees that as trying to convince the democrats to see things his way than it's just four more years of the downhill spiral. Judging by his speech now sounds like more of the same...

Quote:
The thing is, Kerry didn't need to concede when he did. He could have still won if he only waited for the absentee, military and provisional votes to be counted.

Amen. I'm not even fully convinced the vote was fair, the whole debate on the security of the voting machines just disappeared.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:31   Link #7
JERI

Jumping Jesus!

JERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:37   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I am truly concerned about the future of the checks and balances system of our government. Think about it: congress currently has, and will continue to have a republican majority; the executive branch, led once more by George Bush's administration, is obviously overwhelmingly republican; the new Director of the CIA, Porter Goss, is a known republican; and most supreme court justices are above the age of retirement, with several about to croak, meaning that Bush may at some point have the ability to appoint new, conservative Supreme Court justices.

Should that happen, our system of checks and balances--or whatever is left of it now for that matter--will be thrown out the window.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:39   Link #9
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I have a bad feeling about what's in store for our future. Congress has, and will have, a Republican majority; the executive branch, led once more by George Bush, is still completely republican; the new head of the CIA is a republican; and several supreme court justices are on the verge of kicking the bucket, meaning that George Bush may very well have the opportunity to appoint republican justices.

And then the system of checks and balances will be thrown out the window.
stop smoking crack boneyjellyfish, that is a GOOD thing
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:46   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Amen. I'm not even fully convinced the vote was fair, the whole debate on the security of the voting machines just disappeared.
I found it interesting hearing about the more than abundant incidents of voter intimidation at the polls with people being threatened, strong armed and a couple even getting assulted while waiting in line to cast their votes. Incidents like those are nearly unheard of around here, in fact, the only time I've seen a police officer at a voting station was as they were voting. Then again, I much prefer our voting system over the punch machines used in much of the American system.

Ours are written votes (or atleast every election I've ever taken part in has been); a piece of paper with a clearly written question followed by a well spaced list of possible responses. Each response has a box beside it that you check off to cast your vote, should you check two by mistake you simply initial next to your intented vote. If you fail to initial your intended choice, then your vote is not counted and is thrown away. To make matters even easier, voting instructions are clearly printed on both the ballot and the voting booth - plus there is someone explaining these things to you while you're waiting in the line. This way we avoid those 'dimple' and intended vote issues and rarely need recounts as ballots are tallied 3 times by different people (supervised by two people) and are only submitted when the numbers all match.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:51   Link #11
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I am truly disappointed in the half of our population who lost perspective on what's more important for us as a nation. At a time when our moral integrity is under attack right in our homes, all you people worry about are insignificant things like terrorism, health care, economy, and education. As the country representing His divine will, it is our duty as the people to make sure that the immoral abominations not gain anymore legal footing in our righteous country for they are greater a threat than any terrorist in the world. Today is a great victory for America, and history will stand by our side to prove that predjucie in the name of morality will withstand the test of time.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:54   Link #12
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

I predict that bush is going to be president for 8 years, like Bill clinton.
How knows ?.... maybe in 2008 he will declares his 3rd victory and wait till 2011 to change president.

Lets wait for CyberBush election 2011
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:01   Link #13
Arwyn

Quote:

Kerry only conceded after the dems concluded that no matter how the cooked the numbers, there was just no reasonable way for him to win Ohio, which ended any chance of being elected president.

While I dont care for Kerry, I must say I was impressed with his grace in conceding rather than dragging the US through another drawn out legal challenge. Very classy on his part.

As far as the concerns over the direction of the country;

Well, the majority of the US supported Bush. Clearly the message the Dems were peddling didnt work outside of large urban areas. That is very telling. When you look at the county by county breakdown, the suburban and rural areas in most states where overwhelmingly Republican. If the Democrats dont learn the lessson from this election, they are going to continue to lose.

The "anyone but Bush" arguement simply didnt work, and there really wasnt any clear message from the Dems other than "I can do it better". That just doesnt cut it.

As far as voter intimidation and harrassement, actually in total numbers complaints were down, although the number of Republican complaints of harrassment was up signifigantly. The most serious allegations of criminal assault, property destruction and harrassment have been filed by Republicans, so there isnt going to be much to come out of that area.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:09   Link #14
Thelastguardian

This could be very dangerous for the American civilians.

The world thinks :

Ok you guys didn't know better when you voted Bush the first time. This is why we are going to limit the blame on only Bush.
But now that you people extend his position, that would mean that all of you support his view of the world.
If anything happens to you people later on, it is your own doing.
Old 2004-11-03, 16:18   Link #15
Avaj
?!!

Bush won by a very large margin and %, which hasen't happened in quite some time.

America is america, not the rest of the world, america is better off for its choices, if it were up to the rest of the world then we'd probably be no better then most of Europe. Also, if people want to leave then that just frees up more room for all the people that want to move here.
Avaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:19   Link #16
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:

The absentee votes were in fact already counted. That left the provisional and military ... democrats said there was about 200000 ... Ohio said way less. And even it it was around 200,000 he would have to get more than a 120,000 of that to win Ohio. I think Kerry realized there really is no way out ... what's the point of waiting another 11 days?
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:23   Link #17
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
This could be very dangerous for the American civilians.

The world thinks :

Ok you guys didn't know better when you voted Bush the first time. This is why we are going to limit the blame on only Bush.
But now that you people extend his position, that would mean that all of you support his view of the world.
If anything happens to you people later on, it is your own doing.
It isnt anymore or less dangerous that it was before the election. Folks that hate the US are not going to change just because Kerry might have won, and by his own admission, Kerry was still going to be going after the islamic terrorists. So, no real change there.

The Arab governments are happy enough to have the US as a lightning rod and target for the anger of the Arab public, because it means the public isnt looking to closely at whats wrong with their own countries.

As for Europe, its more of the same. The current German government rode a wave of anti-Americanism, the pretty much tried to quietly go back to the status quo. No real major impact there, and most countries there are going the same route.

Now what is amusing is watching all the anti-Bush governments abroad backpedal and downplay the election results. The French reaction has been pretty telling, claiming "there will be no difference in the dealings between our two countries no matter the results of the election". Despite the fact that French have been adamantly against Bush.

Net result, no real change.

The bigger problem with this whole election is that large numbers of folks went for the extream, and are now stuck with their position. The amount of hatred and negativity certainly didnt help Kerry attract undecided voters, in fact the evidence now seems to show that it turned off a lot of the moderate undecided voters.

Bush won by a substantial margin, more than Reagan did in 84, and levels of voter turnout were the highest in the last 60 years. However people feel about it, thats the way things are, and despite all the yelling and screaming, the vast majority of the politicians are going to happily go back to business as normal.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:30   Link #18
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
How knows ?.... maybe in 2008 he will declares his 3rd victory and wait till 2011 to change president.

Lets wait for CyberBush election 2011
But you can only be the president twice in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaj
America is america, not the rest of the world, america is better off for its choices, if it were up to the rest of the world then we'd probably be no better then most of Europe. Also, if people want to leave then that just frees up more room for all the people that want to move here.
Yeah, Americans should make their own decisions, but what's with that "no better than most Europe"? Please, don't get me started on all the problems with the US. That's the kind of arrogancy that wins you dislike points in other countries.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:33   Link #19
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Then again, I much prefer our voting system over the punch machines used in much of the American system.

Ours are written votes (or atleast every election I've ever taken part in has been); a piece of paper with a clearly written question followed by a well spaced list of possible responses.
I'm amazed that the North America still votes by pen and paper. Around here (in Belgium) we've been voting by computer for almost 10 years. Basically we select our votes on a first computer, the result also gets printed on a magnetic card which then has to be inserted in a second comp to register the vote again. About 1 h after closing time almost all votes are allready counted (the second comp is a backup and check-up system). Works fine and judging by the results no messing with the comps occurs ...

Anyway Bush won the election which basically means we get 4 more years of the same policy wether we like it or not.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 16:34   Link #20
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
I'm hoping Bush will get impeached/murdered and before then Dick Cheney would choke on his $100000 turkey and drop dead. We'll be lucky if this happens before before we blow up half of Iraq off the globe.

Either that Bush gets his brain replaced with someone who can actually do his job right and can actually avoid war, but that's not goin g to happen.

Untill the year 2008 we'll be barely making a living while the right sit on their lazy fat ass eating their $2000 begals and buying things they don't need while becoming richer. The rich makes me sick. The middle class needs the money, not those fucking billionaire bastards buying their new ar while thousands of people die and lose their jobs because of some half-assed president who can't even pronounce "hostage" or "nuclear" correctly due to him being retarded. I'm sorry, it's not pronounced "hos-tie-le" or "nEw-Q-lar". Please try again as soon as you get a brain.

Bush is a greedy, heartless, lying bastard. Everything he says is a lie. He doesn't care for anyone but his rich friends and family. I swear to him it's a challange to see just how many people can he piss off today. Republican voters are nothing but sheep who are blinded about the stupid bullshit he has done over these past 4 years. He never deserved to president 4 years ago, and he deserves it less now. People voted for him, and a vote for Bush is a vote for you to lose billions of dollars for the economy and raise your blood pressure at a dangerously high level. I hate conceided-lying-retarded-homophobe-billionaire presidents. When will people realize he's the suckiest person in America right now? Bush should just get his freaking head out of his ass and realize that people would be happier without him because he's a fraud. The terrorist alert is BS. I mean, who the hell would believe a color guessing the odds if some guys would attack America? No one, that's who!

Taxes have to paid by our childrens-children now. It will be more terrifing to see how much more money he will piss away in the next 4 years. Prepare to resist your urge to kill, people. Leave it to the maniacs/heroes.

Last edited by OutPhase; 2004-11-03 at 16:47.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote