AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 11:26   Link #561
Jourdal

Wow..great post KLG i read all of it and you summed up the general consensus of the readers (including myself) very well.

I feel disappointed because this is the very first manga i started reading right away...it was all a coincidence..i tried to go the US shonenjump website but the URL was changed and i ended up at the international SJ website. The first thing is see is Medakas impressive cleavage (lol) so i decided...hey why the f*** not? I read the one shot..love it. Then read the first 3 chapters i saw potential..then Akune shows up >_<.

I joined animesuki because it had regular Medaka and To Love Ru discussion, so it's weird that the former is pissing everyone off and the latter has been canned.

I usually have nothing against Genius characters..hell i used to be a Sasuke fanboy, but Medaka passes over Genius and just borders on godly..she's omnipotent at will and her flaws are based on other people/things and not herself (to an extent, this is apparent especially with the whole intimidating animals chapter).
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 11:43   Link #562
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
You know... if we get really lucky, the mangaka will realize that this idea isn't working, can this, and then attempt to start another series based on this, but either A) make it more towards a SJ crowd or B) put it in another magazine that's aimed towards a different audience

I don't know the exact details, but I do know that HSDK started out as a short, 15-chapter series, before it became the one that most are familiar with today

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 13:10   Link #563
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
Wow..great post KLG i read all of it and you summed up the general consensus of the readers (including myself) very well.

I feel disappointed because this is the very first manga i started reading right away...it was all a coincidence..i tried to go the US shonenjump website but the URL was changed and i ended up at the international SJ website. The first thing is see is Medakas impressive cleavage (lol) so i decided...hey why the f*** not? I read the one shot..love it. Then read the first 3 chapters i saw potential..then Akune shows up >_<.

I joined animesuki because it had regular Medaka and To Love Ru discussion, so it's weird that the former is pissing everyone off and the latter has been canned.

I usually have nothing against Genius characters..hell i used to be a Sasuke fanboy, but Medaka passes over Genius and just borders on godly..she's omnipotent at will and her flaws are based on other people/things and not herself (to an extent, this is apparent especially with the whole intimidating animals chapter).
Well, Sasuke may have been a genius, but he had obvious flaws and despite his genius, Naruto's hard work allowed him to be on par with him eventually. With Medaka Box, hard workers are basically weaklings and geniuses are powerful, with Medaka being the god among them. It doesn't make for interesting reading for me. I have nothing against geniuses either, but geniuses who are godly, unstoppable and loved by all despite having massive flaws bothers me. Oh, and I really don't think that just because someone is against Medaka, they should be portrayed as a bad guy like they have been. It's just another part of the whole "Medaka's always right" thing that the author is trying to push onto us, by portraying those who don't agree with her or worship her as evil.

I know what you mean about being the very first manga you've read right away. This is the first manga I've ever actually started reading from the beginning without at least several chapters being out already. I was there for the one shot and right there in the beginning, so I really had no idea what to expect. Maybe I placed my hopes too high after reading many mangas that have great stories and characters to them. I got spoiled. But it's sad when a gag manga like Hayate the Combat Butler has more character depth than Medaka Box.

I'll miss To Love Ru, but as a Haruna fan, I'm extremely disappointed. I won't spoil the ending, but from what I've seen of it, it's horrible. ><

@Magin: HSDK was actually 28 chapters before it was rebooted and the reboot is 100 times better (even if it has been dragged out a bit recently-- that Diego arc was far too long). :P Considering he's a popular author in Japan, I can picture SJ actually giving him permission to restart, but he'd have to make a LOT of changes to the formula to satisfy the fans. HSDK basically had a good formula already in place, the reboot just allowed the mangaka to flesh out the characters and story better. Nishio would have to actually come up with a workable formula first that doesn't try to cram 100 different genres and characters into 15 chapters and screw them all up. ><
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 16:54   Link #564
Jourdal

I saw the the TLR spoilers i know it ends horribly >_<

I wish we had spoiler for this series a little earlier.
Old 2009-08-28, 13:32   Link #565
Jourdal

Spoilers i found on MH.

http://imepita.jp/20090828/602510
http://imepita.jp/20090828/604210
http://imepita.jp/20090828/604430
http://imepita.jp/20090828/605020
Old 2009-08-28, 13:44   Link #566
AnymX

Wow this looks interesting, damn now I can't what for this weeks chapter.
O and I just want to say that I really liked 15 Chapter. The part with handcuffs was surprisingly funny. Thanks for the spoiler pictures Jourdal.
Old 2009-08-28, 13:52   Link #567
Jourdal

The guy who posted these on Manga Helpers says he feels this is becoming a battle manga...not sure i'm too keen on that.
Old 2009-08-28, 15:42   Link #568
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
The guy who posted these on Manga Helpers says he feels this is becoming a battle manga...not sure i'm too keen on that.
It would work if it actually happened earlier, if the first 15 chapters were spent setting it up as a battle manga. However, the whole thing was about a suggestion box and Medaka's perfection. Out of all the genres it tried to copy, battle was probably the one is failed the most at. Sadly, I think that it may be beyond saving. It'll probably be doomed to mediocrity if that happens.

Just look at the situation with the characters in Bakuman, where because of the low ratings of their mystery based manga, they're being forced towards the whole battle manga scenario. This is eerily similar to what they were talking about. That the mangaka is only going that route because he's being forced to. It never leads to anything good.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-28, 17:14   Link #569
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

please don't pull a Reborn , please don't pull a Reborn , please don't pull a Reborn , please don't pull a Reborn , Plleeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't pull a Reborn.
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 17:56   Link #570
Jourdal

I liked Reborns battles (assuming you're referring to it becoming a fighting manga)
Old 2009-08-28, 20:41   Link #571
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

I like reborns battle as well , but I really like Medaka has a wacky shounen manga right now , there's enough battle shounen out there , I wouldn't like this one to turn into one.
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 23:36   Link #572
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I must be the only human being in the world who enjoys this manga right now. I don't mind Medaka's character or the direction the story's going. It's taking its good time setting all the pieces in place and then ramping up the pace. The manga's displaying Medaka's perfection and can-do-no-wring ideals and philosophies now, and I think the author will be throwing bigger and bigger wrenches into her world-view.

The latest chapter for example, we have a sadistic, utter bastard of a human being who looks at his fellow men and women as pieces of trash and has no qualms with using brutal force upon the hapless. I'm hoping we come to a point where true doubt starts to creep into her universal love and appreciation for all humans, and I think that's where the good bits will come from when she starts to realize that perhaps humans are not so deserving of love afterall.

To me the manga's not about Medaka's superhuman qualities, or Zenkichi's self-confidence as potential lover material. It's about Medaka's love and compassion versus the sad reality of human beings.
Old 2009-08-29, 02:59   Link #573
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
I must be the only human being in the world who enjoys this manga right now.
No, you're seriously not. I've stated in more then one post that i'm really enjoying the way it is now.
Old 2009-08-29, 03:14   Link #574
scrumly1

I'm not enjoying it right now but I see this as laying the groundwork for something really interesting and not quite the norm. So here it is to hoping it lasts long enough to reach its potential.
scrumly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 03:19   Link #575
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
please don't pull a Reborn , please don't pull a Reborn , please don't pull a Reborn , please don't pull a Reborn , Plleeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't pull a Reborn.
Reborn was so boring before it got to the battles =(
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 08:23   Link #576
Jourdal

Apparently the group that scanned this is no more..but the raw and translations are out on MH.

Thoughts on the RAW, haven't read the trans

Spoiler for Raw Spoilers:

Last edited by Jourdal; 2009-08-29 at 08:40.
Old 2009-08-29, 08:39   Link #577
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
They're still alive but seems like they lost some members. Don't know what's up with the group leader really. They do a very solid job on their scans and they suddenly felt like closing? Their admin needs to learn to type some proper english...
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 09:00   Link #578
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Apparently the group that scanned this is no more..but the raw and translations are out on MH.

Thoughts on the RAW, haven't read the trans

Spoiler for Raw Spoilers:
Hmm... my thoughts.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-29, 10:21   Link #579
Dark Mage

One good thing about the latest chapter is Shiranui and the bad thing is Zen getting downplayed again. But really Shiranui is the only character in the manga so far, who can irritate Medaka, get under her skin and point out her flaws. Gotta love Shiranui
Old 2009-08-29, 21:34   Link #580
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
The transition to a battle manga is rather awkward but... I don't hate it. Will wait for the scan.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council