AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-28, 12:18   Link #281
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

What does "Maintenance Engineer E-2" mean?

Specifically, the E-2. 2nd level engineer?
Old 2011-05-28, 12:35   Link #282
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'd suggest you to tweak your villain a bit. The mayor himself is... a bit too much in my opinion. Perhaps a mere politician seeking the top seat, or a corporate may do. You can even keep the yakuza connection.
Being a member of the Diet as a governor, there is one more place he can go upwards - Prime Minister. From there he can run all his criminal activities, plus he gets some oversight on the internal security and police, making his power-mongering schemes much easier. In essence, it sheds light on how the political espionage world works - as long as you scratch my back, I scratch yours; but that doesn't mean I am plotting against you too.

I was planning to make him a real bad boss that nobody can easily touch, thus silently hated by everyone. So bad that even the mere person would express disgust after knowing about his activities - he is supposed to be a power-monger and control freak, not a mercenary like Reisen.

But he is only a very basic template. Need suggestions for tone-downs, or evil-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
What does "Maintenance Engineer E-2" mean?

Specifically, the E-2. 2nd level engineer?
A second-level engineer, namely the assistant chief engineer of a department. I was using the marine industry codes - E-1 being Chief Engineer, E-3 being Senior Engineer and E-4 being Junior Engineer.

Putting her at deputy chief is a recognition of her abilities, but not trusting her enough. I wanted that effect on her character.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-05-28, 12:43   Link #283
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

But he is only a very basic template. Need suggestions for tone-downs, or evil-ups.
He don't need to run a town, being a senator (or the equivalent in Japan) is enough. Just think of Palpatine in the prequel.

Addendum: Also don't you think that an exoskeleton is a bit overboard? I mean, until proved otherwise, the tech is not THAT advanced. That's certainly not Index as far as the tech is concerned.
Old 2011-05-28, 16:50   Link #284
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Huh. I missed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
A question for the gun experts; How much difference is a 9mm to a .45 pistol? I mean stuff like recoil, is the kick of a 45 that much bigger? In what case would one be preferred?
The war between the 9mm and the .45 continues to rage to this day. A .45 kicks a little harder than a 9mm, depending on the pistol you use. A lightweight, plastic construction pistol will have a stronger felt recoil compared to a heavy, all-metal one.

On a finer point, the difference between the two rounds vary depending on manufacturer, bullet weight, grain, barrel length, etc. Out of the same model pistol, generally the .45 has higher energy coming out of the barrel than a 9mm, but the 9mm travels at a higher velocity.

Personally, I prefer the .45. It's a big, fat, subsonic bullet that hits hard and leaves a nasty wound. 9mm is faster and 9mm pistols tend to have a larger magazine capacity. Ultimately, in a setting like this, and considering the knowledge / interests of the audience, the difference between the two don't really matter. Unless you want to talk shop in the story itself, the average reader will not understand the finer details and differences. Really, just pick a caliber. Both are very common and very popular -- neither would be so if they were bad bullets.

As long as you don't do something absurd like give someone a blaster that shoots rainbow beams of instant disintegration, you'll be fine.
Old 2011-05-28, 18:42   Link #285
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So in other words, there's really not much difference? Cause I was worried that there's probably a reason all those smart police forces are using 9mm and that I was missing something And since Butei is more of a policing force and my character is using a USP.45...
Old 2011-05-28, 19:51   Link #286
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
So in other words, there's really not much difference? Cause I was worried that there's probably a reason all those smart police forces are using 9mm and that I was missing something And since Butei is more of a policing force and my character is using a USP.45...
You're not missing anything, because the choice of caliber is decided by what fits the common police officer the best. The Russians and a couple of former Soviet satellite states doesn't use them due to political differences (only now that they started taking up Western ammunition). Neither caliber is the most common pistol caliber in the United States at the moment (they went with an in-between solution called the .40 S&W), although the FBI HRT uses .45 pistols. The Europeans went with 9mm because they happens to have a large variety of handguns chambered in that. Some police forces around the world still uses .38 revolvers (like us, we only started replacing them with...9mm Walther P99s, yes, the very same handgun that Riko uses).

In the end, it is proper shooting techniques that deals the damage, not how large is the ammunition and so on. Ultimately you decide for yourself what you want to equip your character with, as long as it is not something that shoots lazers out of the mouth, like what Tempy said.

EDIT: Looks like my assumption about .40 was way off.

Last edited by kct; 2011-05-28 at 22:59.
Old 2011-05-28, 22:32   Link #287
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Police forces in the US use 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. What qualities a police force looks for in an official standard issue caliber differs from state to state, and they change occasionally. NYPD once used loaded in .38 special, later moving on to the 9mm. Nowadays, most NYPD officers are issued GLOCK models chambered for .40 S&W.

So, no. It doesn't matter. This is a work of fiction, not real life. Plot armor protects the protagonists, and the bad guys shoot wildly or at solid cover rather than at the person. The lethality of the 9mm and the .45 ACP rounds are not so different that it requires mentioning. You shoot the bad guy, you hit the bad guy, the bad guy goes down. Even a .22 LR can be lethal; you just need to use it right.
Old 2011-05-29, 00:00   Link #288
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

@Sakuya: Yes it is one of the more mishapen incarnations of Seravee that I entertained myself with. Twisted further by my Ion Canon moment. The final product won't even be anywhere nearly as bad.

And apologies for having to constantly update all my characters. While a lot of them are receiving the axe because of the sheer number of characters I can use from everyone else (Quade's been fired, Merii was dropped because she didn't make the moe cut, thus Adara gets her voice actor...), the fact that I think of the story and the characters as one whole set changing one affects the other. And then considering that I try to make them as appealing to myself as to everyone else... Production Hell.

At least one more problem was solved this morning. Crysanthe has got to be voiced by YUI HORIE! My cast is turning into Dog Days!!!
Old 2011-05-29, 13:25   Link #289
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
But will you listen to the suggestions?

Well, my thoughts as they are:

1. As Sheba has said, he doesn't need to be the mayor. In fact it'd be more interesting to have a politician who's climbing the ladder and using Yakuza help to do so - there's a manga about 2 japanese kids who survive the Khmer Rouge and decide to change Japan and support each other: one guy aims on becoming Prime Minister, the other a Yakuza boss.

2. My next issue is with this:

Quote:
* - Known as -/X and 0/A missions, namely deniable data-gathering and forcible apprehension (a.k.a kidnapping) cum high-risk rescues respectively. To date, only two graduates within Tokyo Butei Academy have conducted these missions, and both died shortly after, with one girl from CVR repeatedly raped by her captors before escaping and dying from exhaustion, and an Assault top male student suffering multiple bullet wounds before bleeding to death during extraction, unconscious captive in hand.
The bad guys are bad. Fine. We get that. You want to use rape as a way of showing they are bad, being that it's a special kind of evil.

The problem is that the way you're casually dropping it gives a bad taste in people's mouths. This is a touchy subject that should not be used casually merely for the sake of showing that your villians are bad guys. We get they're bad. There are lots of different ways to do it without casually tossing in a bit of Rape as Backstory for Drama.

Also, let's not forget that at the end of the day, Hidan no Aria's feel is NOT [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb-rUfBTQ1g"]The Elite Squad[/URL] or The Elite Squad 2: Now the enemy is another one. The world of Hidan no Aria is not that crapsack-y or depressing.

Take Tommy Vercetti. No raping he indulges in, and yet he emerges as the ruler of Vice City's underworld through his ruthlessness.

Remember the maxim: less is more. Understate and let the audience make their judgments. Blue Bloods gives us an example in the various criminals of the week, but particularly the child kidnapper in the pilot episode. We hardly see him do anything at all, but the way the episode sets him up, the audience feels justified in cheering Danny Reagan on as he introduces the suspect to a toilet.

Or Hawaii Five-0 - Wo Fat's done some pretty bad things, and is clearly established as a bad guy, without needing to have it be mentioned that his workers rape female adversaries.

3. Exoskeleton: Not happening, not with the current level of technology. The World of Hidan no Aria has shown itself to be little different from that of this current world.

Though I wonder if I'm on ignore, given that previous statements addressed to SaintessHeart went unanswered...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-29, 20:03   Link #290
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

By the way, I'll be translating this page and integrating it into the Hidan no Aria Wiki.
For those who created instructors as OCs (me included = Hattori Hanzou), this might be handy.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-05-29, 22:58   Link #291
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

It`s time for me join.
I spent 10 minutes for this..

(if you want see the update OC profile look down at my latest post)

Last edited by Silver-Throne; 2011-05-29 at 23:50. Reason: fixed
Old 2011-05-29, 23:22   Link #292
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Spend more time on it please. And less bold and italics this time!
Old 2011-05-29, 23:32   Link #293
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunblade23 View Post
It`s time for me join.
I spent 10 minutes for this

Spoiler for My OC:
This little babushka shames Mother Russia by using capitalist pig dog Amerikan rifle. Use glorious Russian rifle like MTs-116M or SV-98. сука.
Old 2011-05-29, 23:43   Link #294
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

Quote:
This little babushka shames Mother Russia by using capitalist pig dog Amerikan rifle. Use glorious Russian rifle like MTs-116M or SV-98. сука.
ooops wrong gun..I`m in a rush though..sorry
here`s the new one

FIXED Attempts(x10)

Spoiler for Need a sniper who`s descended from a veteran for a team? Here he is.. waiting.:

Last edited by Silver-Throne; 2011-06-04 at 23:59. Reason: here`s the new one.
Old 2011-05-30, 00:02   Link #295
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Don't ignore me, little Russian!
Old 2011-05-30, 00:25   Link #296
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

@MeisterBabylon : hey..that`s my line !!

BUT I`m supposed to say this : "Don`t ignore me dogs!"

lol

Last edited by Silver-Throne; 2011-05-30 at 06:45.
Old 2011-05-30, 06:03   Link #297
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
So girlie, what can you do in this situation?

"Sing..."

Sing? what kind of... hey guys, she's going to sing our requiem.

"Yes... sing your Requiem I will."

Revvy E. Telia
Old 2011-05-30, 06:34   Link #298
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

Someone did use the GIMP for this

I`m doing it too...

Lev: I love to hear her singing but the thing is..I hate to say this, hearing this one might kill me..according to the info that I gathered, if she sing any song, it will have a deadly effect on those who hear it.. Lock and load.
*Loads MTs-116M sniper rifle*head set on*
Lev: A soldier is always prepared for any situation like this one. For safety,I have to spread the word.

Last edited by Silver-Throne; 2011-05-30 at 06:46.
Old 2011-05-30, 10:37   Link #299
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunblade23 View Post
ooops wrong gun..I`m in a rush though..sorry
here`s the new one

UPDATE

Need A SNIPER WHO`S DESCENDED FROM A VETERAN?HERE HE IS, WAITING FOR YOU
Enough shouting.

I won't comment on his ancestry, except to say that who knows, his ancestor might have shaken hands with Jon's grandfather.

Quote:
Spoiler for Dark Raven:
Alright, WTF, over. Firstly, you've made a half-crazed blood knight thrill of battle seeking sniper. No sane organisation is going to want a sniper who enjoys his work too much. Organisations employing snipers look for quiet professionals who do what has to be done, not loud blood knight thrillseeking killers. Even the great Simo Hayha and Carlos Hathcock knew when to put the rifles down and walk away.

Also, why the hell is he shouting all the time? You'd think that as Peterenko's grandson he'd be a bit like his grandfather - a quiet professional.

Also, fire for effect is the proper term, and it's used by artillery and mortar crews, not snipers.

Incidentally, have you forgotten Butei Law Section Nine? Butei are NOT allowed to kill. Your OC who's very kill-happy is going to have a hard time of it.

Now, on the other hand, if he's an antagonist, then that's something else. Certain things are more forgivable in antagonists.

Also, would it kill you to write normally? Putting everything in caps and bolded italics just turns people off.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-30, 11:26   Link #300
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost

Support character #1

Because I wanted to write a old guy profile damn it.

Spoiler for portrait:

Name: Kentaro Murasame, nicknamed, "That Old Pervert" by many female students, "Le Vieux Pervers" by the few french female students, "The Geezer"
(theorical) VA: Kenji Utsumi (Armstrong in Full Metal Alchemist, Raoh in Fist of the North Star)
Nationality: Japanese
Butei Rank: S
Ancestor:
Spoiler:

Department: Amdo (Master specializing in weapon manufacturing)
Bloodline Ability: None
Weapon: Hammer
Friends: Doc, Coach, D-Boy

Character Quotes:

"Listen boy, you have to prove yourself worthy to be able to wield one of my weapons."
"Listen my girl, I cannot make that weapon for you. You think yourself that it had to be THAT weapon, stop being fooled by television. Let me ask, is your body made for that weapon? Is it balanced for your frail hands? And more importantly, does it represent you and what you can make with it?"
"My education is telling me that young girls should not reveal their legs that much. But my man's heart is telling me to appreciate them and enjoy the sight."
"That guy is a walking zoo, is it because they loves him so much or is it to compensate the fact that he have no woman?*" - Erin

Background:
Spoiler:

Personality:
Spoiler:

Ability:
None

Style:
Having fought during the WWII, and in despite of his old age, he is still able to give the new students a run for their money. He knows he doesn't have much time ahead of him so he will go for the fastest way to end a fight. This even means shoot to disable the opposition.

Trivia
Spoiler:

PS: ARMSTRONG MUSCLE FLEX

*wrong, he is married and have lots of descendants.

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-05-30 at 16:46. Reason: typos
Closed Thread