http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx430.html
Corsair CX430

430 Watt
+12 V Rails (1)
+3.3 V (20 Amps)
+12 V 1 (28 Amps)
80+ Efficiency

My retailer is on deal for $30.

I'm buying a custom system as a gift for an elderly couple. It's a multimedia PC that will hopefully last them forever (they use a Pentium IV )

Supporting a
i5 2320 (95Watt) + GTX550 Ti + 7200rpm (This is a bit imbalanced)
OR
Phenom II X6 1045T (95Watt) + HD6570 + 7200rpm

No OC on anything. I want a safe PSU. not one that barely supports it and has a lifespan of 1 year. More like 10 years. (currently under $400 excluding the HDD/RAM/monitor/keyboard/mouse that I have so many spares of)

Thanks
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 16:10   Link #2
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The PSU you chose should be enough for the AMD system, but not for the Intel.

Good tool for estimating what PSU to buy.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

btw, I think the builds you have are overkill for the purposes for the elderly couple. If not gaming or GPU compute, integrated graphics are enough. i5 is overkill, i3 is more than enough. As for AMD, X6 is worse than X4 unless they use highly multithreaded software, which is doubtful.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 17:01   Link #3
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Thanks! Yeah they are somewhat overkill but currently the i5 is on sale and is same price as the i3 lol.

As for X4 > X6, I didn't know about that so thanks for the info.
Old 2012-06-05, 20:35   Link #4
Ryuudou

You should get around 600 watt minimum nowadays so you have extra room for more HDDS and things like that.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 20:47   Link #5
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I'm buying a custom system as a gift for an elderly couple. It's a multimedia PC that will hopefully last them forever (they use a Pentium IV )
For basic setups that doesn't have to be too much, I'd recommend the following (I have an elderly couple for a client who sometimes call me in to fix their rig, and I understand what they use):

* AMD's F1 series of APUs, which basically integrates the CPU and GPU into a single package, which is much better than using IGP (integrated graphics). There are now motherboards out there that use those processors, and at the same time allows for future upgrades.
* 2gb of memory (4gb to factor in the APU shared video memory) is just enough for everyday use -- web browsing, video playback, word processing, basic games, and bookkeeping.
* unless they love to download, I feel that 320gb of hard drive is enough; Seagate and WD drives usually last very long.
* To keep the rig stable to last longer, get a UPS, including those made by APC.

I remember that the lifetime of a PSU varies from one another depending on how it's being used, especially when factoring in the capacitors' slow deterioration. In this case, 3-5 years should be enough for the PSU if they use the PC for 6-8 hours a day, but it'll be a record if the PSU lasts for 10 years (and I have a 2000-era Compaq Deskpro that's still okay).

As far as really solid PSUs are concerned, IMHO this is the ultimate (they're still around for many years):
http://www.pcpower.com/index.html

BTW, I also used a P4 rig before it was replaced by a new custom-build based around the Athlon II X2 260.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-06-06 at 00:03.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 20:51   Link #6
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
...Unless they love to download, I feel that 320gb of hard drive is enough; Seagate and WD drives usually last very long.
For some reason this evoked an exaggerated and humorous series of images in my brain.

Quote:
...To keep the rig stable to last longer, get a UPS, including those made by APC.
I can definitely second this - extremely helpful.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:45   Link #7
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
As far as really solid PSUs are concerned, IMHO this is the ultimate (they're still around for many years):
http://www.pcpower.com/index.html
Wow those are really good. O:

The couple wants to do a lot of things (photoshop/uploading videos/downloading videos/movies). I have no idea what they want to do exactly, and neither do they. So it's really ambiguous for me. (I forgot I used to play Starcraft on a Pentium III lol)
Old 2012-06-06, 17:41   Link #8
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
If they don't game, they still need no graphic card at all. Intergrated will go long way with stuff you described. In fact, I just built a computer for my mum which was also a sort of multimedia pc .. Went with i3-2100, H61M motherboard, 8GB memory and XFX 450W PSU. 8GB because well, it's dirt cheap so .. why not?

I would suggest same if not similar setup for you. If you insist on getting i5 (which you really won't need), at least drop the graphic card out completely. With that money, get a 64GB SSD. for Windows and programs. That SSD will really go long way when you look at the overall performance even for normal usage w/ no gaming.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:01   Link #9
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

I dropped the AMD to X4 945 (4x3.0ghz) and intel to i3 2310 (2x3.4ghz)
Added a 525Mb/s Read : 500Mb/s Write 120 GB SSD Sata III ($90)

And PSU is a 500W PcPower MK III
Old 2012-06-07, 17:10   Link #10
Dist

Quote:
^
Say, use the SSD for the operating system, and the regular hard drive for documents and downloads.
Isn't that what I just said? Windows and programs.
Old 2012-06-11, 16:35   Link #11
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I used the PSU calculator to figure out what I could put on my computer. My PSU is 620 watts. I factored in a sound card, but I don't have one. Should I get a sound card? I just use sound from the motherboard. I hear that that eats up a little bit of processing power from the CPU, unless I have a sound card. Would it be worth getting?

Also, how do I factor in capacitor aging? The PSU calculator goes up to 50% capacitor aging. Now, my PSU is just a few months old. I have nothing to worry about with it for a few years or several years. I'm just curious, how long would it take for capacitor aging to reach 50% from someone who doesn't use their PC 24/7 (just pretty often) and doesn't game like 8 hours a day every day? How long do you think it would take to reach 40% or 45% capacitor aging?
Old 2012-06-11, 17:52   Link #12
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I wouldn't bother with a sound card unless you are an audiophile. The integrated audio stuff is enough, and won't have a noticeable effect on performance.

As for capacitor aging. idk, too many factors. I would say several years.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 16:52   Link #13
BradleySmith
*IT Support

PSU's are so cheap now days why not just get a 800W+ one? Then you can guarentee down the line if you decide to add SLI or another 2 hardrives that you're PSU can handle it.
BradleySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 00:52   Link #14
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleySmith View Post
PSU's are so cheap now days why not just get a 800W+ one? Then you can guarentee down the line if you decide to add SLI or another 2 hardrives that you're PSU can handle it.
Uh, he's building a rig for an elderly couple as a gift.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:25   Link #15
Dist

And you don't need 800W for 3 hard drives lol. I have 3 and 625W ..
Old 2012-06-23, 17:11   Link #16
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Besides the cheap PSUs, despite the high wattage they are caliming to have, often (always?) have low power on the 12V rail. Which is where it counts, because this is the main power source for CPU and GPU.

You can basicly consider the maximum load on 12V rails as the defacto power of a PSU nowadays.
The other rails will never max out before 12V does.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 20:32   Link #17
Alchemist007
*Author

If you're not doing gaming or something equally intensive, a 500w would be more than enough.
Old 2012-06-24, 18:43   Link #18
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Well if it's for the elderly and it's for multimedia then a 500-600w would be better as it's the standard range for this day and age. I'll assume they're hardly going to do any gaming, but more on the lines of internet surfing, word process and maybe movie viewing.

Stick with the Intel CPU as those will last them a long time. I heard the I5's integrated GPU does a great job for processing and editing video.

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2012-06-25 at 18:00.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote