AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-13, 15:57   Link #1
i luv Kare Kano

Dear Boys or Slam Dunk?

which one is better (more enjoyable) to watch?
Old 2004-11-13, 19:53   Link #2
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
Slam Dunk is not only a great basketball anime, it's a great anime in general. the manga is my #5 favorite series, and my #3 favorite manga. it's THAT good.
Old 2004-11-14, 03:02   Link #3
Vanilla

i liked dear boys.. but meh i could see why some people would like slam dunk more, its just less focused on basketball
Old 2004-11-14, 03:16   Link #4
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I've seen both, and I gotta say SLAM DUNK hands-down for cementing basketball as THE cool sport for my generation in Taiwan. Also, Slam Dunk has so many hilarious/comical moments even in the heat of battle...the focus on the main characters, though unrealistic for real basketball (subs? who need subs!), makes the series so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla
liked dear boys.. but meh i could see why some people would like slam dunk more, its just less focused on basketball
Errrrrrrrr?! Slam Dunk is less focused on basketball? Hmm, you mean how it's more focused on the characters? Yah, I can kinda agree to that, but I don't see how Dear Boys is that much better in that regard.
Old 2004-11-14, 17:00   Link #5
jimmy_1

I must say Slam Dunk! It`s more exiting, fun, and is more about Basket then Vanilla said..!
Old 2004-11-14, 17:36   Link #6
Yong

For me, Slam Dunk is an unforgetble anime.
Old 2004-11-15, 09:05   Link #7
_Cyberwiesel__

Yes Slam Dunk is the better anime
Old 2004-11-15, 09:34   Link #8
Anime-FAN

slamdunk
Old 2004-11-15, 23:30   Link #9
i luv Kare Kano

why is slam dunk better than dear boys?
Old 2004-11-20, 08:37   Link #10
chung-chan
Jounin member

Send a message via MSN to chung-chan
Thumbs down

Slam dunk is one of the best animes ive ever seen. rukawa and hanamichi are frickin cool. it is funny and exciting. and the songs are cool to. i watched slam dunk in chinese. I was very upset because they did not make the anime in the last tournament
Old 2004-11-20, 09:59   Link #11
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv Kare Kano
why is slam dunk better than dear boys?
For me it was the huge variety of "significiant" characters, teams, and the out-of-place comedy that really got me hooked...though I heavily recommend the manga over the anime even though early on in the manga the drawing style isn't as good. Oh, and the character development and growth throughout the series...very standard in a sport series, but Slam Dunk was simply superb in this regard as well.
Old 2004-11-20, 10:46   Link #12
UserName

Slam Dunk definitely. Though this is from someone who has seen most of the episodes and read every chapter of Slam Dunk... and only seen about 3 of Dear Boys. I didn't think those episodes were bad but... there are better ones.

Slam Dunk is better mainly because of the characters. Which bring about great moments. Lots of comedy, there is lots of fights for a Basketball manga...(as in fist fights not just yelling), and the matches are great. But don't know how the matches in Slam Dunk compared to those in Dear Boys, didn't get to a point where they shown a full match in Dear Boys.
Old 2004-11-21, 11:56   Link #13
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
For me it was the huge variety of "significiant" characters, teams, and the out-of-place comedy that really got me hooked...though I heavily recommend the manga over the anime even though early on in the manga the drawing style isn't as good. Oh, and the character development and growth throughout the series...very standard in a sport series, but Slam Dunk was simply superb in this regard as well.

I agree with wut sarcasteak say but i never read the manga. I seen Slam Dunk Both in chinese and subbed. The character development was superb and the games might take like 20eps to finish but its well worth every minute of it! Even while the games are 20eps lon, they still included the love affairs and all which was the moral reason for which they play ball..... luv it, first anime i seen also, and its the reason im hooked on anime ^^

Dears boys on the other hand isnt bad, but the opening and ending themes really suck. I mean who the hell puts rap >.< in the ending. I didnt hate the opening as much but it seemed pretty stupid.
Old 2004-11-21, 13:41   Link #14
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think the Dear Boys anime is bad, while Slam Dunk anime is great. The Dear Boys manga is quite good IMO, so is the Slam Dunk manga.
Old 2004-11-21, 14:32   Link #15
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbomb
I agree with wut sarcasteak say but i never read the manga. I seen Slam Dunk Both in chinese and subbed. The character development was superb and the games might take like 20eps to finish but its well worth every minute of it! Even while the games are 20eps lon, they still included the love affairs and all which was the moral reason for which they play ball..... luv it, first anime i seen also, and its the reason im hooked on anime ^^

Dears boys on the other hand isnt bad, but the opening and ending themes really suck. I mean who the hell puts rap >.< in the ending. I didnt hate the opening as much but it seemed pretty stupid.
Slam Dunk is the only sports show that had me fast forwarding to the next episode to find out how the match ends (through all 20 eps of the Shohoku/Ryonan final). For some reason, Hanamichi is just an easy guy to root for while he learns to play, and the rest of the Shohoku team is a blast to see in action. Dear Boys, on the other hand, was about a pretty boy who already knows the game inside and out, and none of the characters are personable at all. It's like a team full of Rukawa.
Old 2004-11-22, 12:06   Link #16
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Slam Dunk is the only sports show that had me fast forwarding to the next episode to find out how the match ends (through all 20 eps of the Shohoku/Ryonan final). For some reason, Hanamichi is just an easy guy to root for while he learns to play, and the rest of the Shohoku team is a blast to see in action. Dear Boys, on the other hand, was about a pretty boy who already knows the game inside and out, and none of the characters are personable at all. It's like a team full of Rukawa.

lol..i liked how u compared the whole dear boys team like rukawa. But i disagree since most of the players in slam dunk can hit open shots just like in dear boys. Its just, i already forgot the main characters name in dear boys(aikawa? idk totally forgot, been 5months since i seen the last ep.) wouldnt miss until that last half court shot he took(i never seen him miss another shot.)

O yea also, how could u of skipped the 20eps of the shohoku/ryonan match!, i DEMAND U GO BACK AND WATCH IT hehehe. It is great.
Old 2004-11-22, 15:04   Link #17
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
lol..i liked how u compared the whole dear boys team like rukawa. But i disagree since most of the players in slam dunk can hit open shots just like in dear boys. Its just, i already forgot the main characters name in dear boys(aikawa? idk totally forgot, been 5months since i seen the last ep.) wouldnt miss until that last half court shot he took(i never seen him miss another shot.)
I guess what really gives me that impression is that nobody in Dear Boys ever really improves, or even thinks that they should. The team is as good as they're going to get at the start, they just have to work through their angsty-bishounen personal issues. Compare that to Slam Dunk, where Hanamichi begins with absolutely zero knowledge of the game, and everybody, even Rukawa by the end of it, is constantly trying to prove and improve themselves through their game. It's a great way to do the story.

Quote:
O yea also, how could u of skipped the 20eps of the shohoku/ryonan match!, i DEMAND U GO BACK AND WATCH IT hehehe. It is great.
No, no, I watched it all. That was my point, I watched all 20 episodes back to back and not only wasn't bored, but was fast-forwarding through op/ed/previews to get to the next episode faster. I was glued to the screen the whole time, that game was just that cool.
Old 2004-11-22, 20:28   Link #18
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
I guess what really gives me that impression is that nobody in Dear Boys ever really improves, or even thinks that they should. The team is as good as they're going to get at the start, they just have to work through their angsty-bishounen personal issues. Compare that to Slam Dunk, where Hanamichi begins with absolutely zero knowledge of the game, and everybody, even Rukawa by the end of it, is constantly trying to prove and improve themselves through their game. It's a great way to do the story.

No, no, I watched it all. That was my point, I watched all 20 episodes back to back and not only wasn't bored, but was fast-forwarding through op/ed/previews to get to the next episode faster. I was glued to the screen the whole time, that game was just that cool.

LoL, thats wut i did exactly, i couldnt wait to the next ep and when it came(esp whe i dl it by batches, i just went rite to the beginning skipping the op/ed).
Another thing is that this might be a litto , but i gotta say tis lol, Whenever i watch an anime or any show, i cant wait until how something ends, but when it ends im like wtf, they cant end like tis, it should keep going, DONT END... is there anyone else like that?
Old 2004-11-24, 11:38   Link #19
yamikage

Since both have been shown in our local stations, I've seen all the episodes of Slam Dunk and a few episodes of Dear Boys (since it looked unappealing to me) and I must say that Slam Dunk is way better than Dear Boys. Heck, ask any teen here in the Philippines about Slam Dunk and you'll hear a lot of praises for it. When you ask about Dear Boys, however, it's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
I've seen both, and I gotta say SLAM DUNK hands-down for cementing basketball as THE cool sport for my generation in Taiwan. Also, Slam Dunk has so many hilarious/comical moments even in the heat of battle...the focus on the main characters, though unrealistic for real basketball (subs? who need subs!), makes the series so great.
Actually, that was my main gripe with Slam Dunk. Bench warmers aren't given emphasis.(not that they should be, since they're not really important) I thought it was bad that they rarely call for substitution. Substitution are only called when the story needs it. (like when Sakuragi fouls out, well actually that's a lot at first)

Now in Dear Boys, bench warmers are NOWHERE TO BE SEEN... That's right folks; there are no substitutes in their team. Unbelievable, those damn ball hogs are...
Old 2004-11-24, 13:54   Link #20
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
Since both have been shown in our local stations, I've seen all the episodes of Slam Dunk and a few episodes of Dear Boys (since it looked unappealing to me) and I must say that Slam Dunk is way better than Dear Boys. Heck, ask any teen here in the Philippines about Slam Dunk and you'll hear a lot of praises for it. When you ask about Dear Boys, however, it's a different story.

Actually, that was my main gripe with Slam Dunk. Bench warmers aren't given emphasis.(not that they should be, since they're not really important) I thought it was bad that they rarely call for substitution. Substitution are only called when the story needs it. (like when Sakuragi fouls out, well actually that's a lot at first)

Now in Dear Boys, bench warmers are NOWHERE TO BE SEEN... That's right folks; there are no substitutes in their team. Unbelievable, those damn ball hogs are...

Bench warmers isnt needed in slam dunk, There starting line up = all pro ballers except for Sakuragi since he played only for the gurl. And yea there was no really background to any of those bench players but it wasnt necessary. The series woulda ended up like 200eps if they did a background check on each character >.< even more(not that i dont like that).

And HOW MANY EPS DID U WATCH OF DEAR BOYS? I seen the whole thing and they arent ball hogs. And if u watched the whole thing, they lost the whole thing b/c of there captain fouling out and no subs(isnt it when u have less than 5 players on court, game is over? Automatic disqualification?) And Most of the members left the team because(mentioned in the beginning of the story i believe) the incident where fugi(forgot his name) >.< punched there ex-coach.
Closed Thread