AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-13, 14:53   Link #61
retardation
phantom loser

ah yeah i think dennu coil might be next for me to look at. i dunno about edo rocket but i'll check it on your recommendation since you haven't really advocated a bad show so far other than rocket girls (this wasn't bad really but very mediocre)

i'm about 7 into nodame cantabile. i dunno if i like it or not right now. it seems almost like a sports anime so far. i'm kind of hoping that something more profound is gonna happen with the plot. i'd like to see it go into nodame's life a little bit more too. i don't know much about her.
Old 2007-09-13, 15:03   Link #62
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought Rocket Girls was a bit better than "mediocre," but I'd agree it's not in the same league with the other shows I often recommend.

We don't learn much about Noda's life until fairly late in the show. I'm curious why you'd think it to be similar to a sports anime. The only one I've watched that even vaguely qualifies in this category is Hikaru no Go (a fine show, by the way). Is it the fact that a lot of the focus is on the characters' personal development? That's really what this show is about, more even than the relationship between Nodame and Chiaki. If you still don't like it after watching the two orchestras perform (around ep 12 I think), it's probably time to try a different show.

I also happen to like classical music so that was a big plus for me.

Oh! Edo Rocket is the kind of show that people either like or hate. It's certainly much better than Rocket Girls, but being a "postmodern" anachronistic comedy, it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. While the characters in this show are living in 18th-19th century Japan, they also have TVs and blogs. If that just seems too weird, it's probably not a good choice.
Old 2007-09-13, 18:00   Link #63
retardation
phantom loser

well the episodes i've seen so far don't look very character oriented. they seem more procedure oriented, which i'd liken to a sports anime. for example, you have an episode about violin playing, then an episode about drumming, than you have an episode about orchestra conducting. in a sports anime like slam dunk (from the little slam dunk i watched), there'd be an episode about dribbling, an episode about passing, an episode about conditioning... it seems like it kinda runs on that same formula. the way they are building this orchestra in the show seems a lot like how you go through building a sports team in a sports show with a new recruit popping up every episode and now they are even planning to compete against some other orchestra group in episode eight.

as for the edo rocket thing with the blogs and stuff. i love that kind of thing. it's pretty easy for me to swallow being part of the japanese rpg/dragon ball z generation of kids. shows that juxtapose ancient settings with modern technology were one of the things that drew me into anime. i suppose once you bring something like that in there, like once you see naruto with the zipper or dude from samurai champloo with the glasses, you get the feeling that you might be able to get all of the excitement that might be associated with the historical setting or lack of certain technologies but you also no longer expect the work to have to adhere to a bunch of historical accuracy. like a show where 50% of the warriors are female would be hard to swallow but if it's the same world where samurai have sunglasses, then why not.
Old 2007-09-13, 22:52   Link #64
retardation
phantom loser

ok i finished nodame. it was pretty good right starting at the same point you mentioned. i didn't care for so many long music parts but it was a musical anime so it's not really fair for me to complain about that. it also seems to suffer from the usual adult-shojo (josei?) curse of having a male lead that isn't very nice... which i actually find kind of disturbing/unhealthy but i guess that's to be expected. chikai is at least a little better than the lead guy in some other shows like paradise kiss and bokura ga ita.
Old 2007-09-15, 11:39   Link #65
retardation
phantom loser

anyone know any good books about anime? so far i've read susan napier's book and roland kelt's japanamaerica.

also, does anyone know any good online interviews (text or video w/ subs) with anime creators?
Old 2007-09-18, 14:56   Link #66
retardation
phantom loser

how you guys feel about zegapain and gurren lagann? keep in mind i'm a soft sci-fi guy rather than a hard sci fi guy. not even a mecha fan really but i guess i can look at anything with a really good story. i did really like code geass, eureka seven and that kind of thing.
Old 2007-09-18, 15:34   Link #67
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Zegapain is really good. Along with Fafner those two are my favorite mecha shows. Though Zegapain is not exactly centered around the mechas ... more like the setting involves mechas, rather than it being the central point. A very satisfying watch. SciFi/drama/romance/action. Thats pretty much all i can say, as the series is easily spoiled

Not going to say anything about Guren, as i stopped watching at ep5 Planning to watch it sometime though. Though the portrayal is more on the goofy side
Old 2007-09-18, 18:26   Link #68
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Location: Let me look outside... Where the hell is this place?Oo
Send a message via AIM to rooroobearr
Gurren is AWSOME!!!!I love it but i don't know about toher people...its kinda...funny in a sense and a bit serious???iunno i think its really GREAT and yeah...
Old 2007-09-19, 01:14   Link #69
tyc00

Didn't like Fafner at all. It didn't offer anything new to me. Zegapain on the other hand I really recommend as it is highly underated and somewhat of a hidden gem. Just a great story and a fantastic cast of characters.
Old 2007-09-19, 05:40   Link #70
Navel

Gurren Lagann is not only about mecha. And its very well done, like other Gainax animes are.
Old 2007-09-19, 10:05   Link #71
Echoes

I think most people generally like Gurren Lagann. I frequently see people describing it as epic and amazing.

However, I'm not one of those people. I did watch it, for quite a while too. I quit on the 23th episode, while I had been sort of bored with the show for about 5 episodes already, I wanted to see if it would redeem itself since I'd already watched this far in.
If you like mature shows, I would not recommend it at all, as I found it to be on the same level as Pokemon. The way they announced which attack they were going to use with a loud scream and the "I can do it if I just imagine it" attitude was a bit much for me.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I think most people will disagree with me on this one.
Old 2007-09-19, 21:54   Link #72
retardation
phantom loser

i watched the first six episodes of skull man. this show is real boring so far and if the skull man is who i think it is that'll make me real vex cuz it seems so obvious right now. think i should keep going? anyone wanna vouch for this show?
Old 2007-09-19, 21:58   Link #73
tyc00

to tell you the truth I also got to episode 6 and then dropped it. It just isn't good in my opinion...
Old 2007-09-20, 05:57   Link #74
Navel

If you did not like Skullman by now, then there's no need to see further.

Gurren-Lagann is awesome and epic, but needs a more thorough look than that.
Old 2007-09-23, 16:47   Link #75
retardation
phantom loser

finished skull man. it wasn't that bad. wasn't that great. ending was pretty good. i think the overall story was really lacking. bones is really slipping off being my favourite studio. darker than black better turn out to be amazing.

i'm a little bit into zegapain now. so far the show is ok. i'm digging it i guess. a lot of it is how cute ryoko sounds. i'm not usually one of these voice actor followers but she's gotta have one of the cutest voices i heard.

two big problems with the show:

a) too much cgi

b)
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-24, 11:39   Link #76
retardation
phantom loser

and how does the world feel about yakitate japan?
Old 2007-09-24, 13:33   Link #77
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
and how does the world feel about yakitate japan?
Great comedy, if a bit repetitive.

Old 2007-09-28, 10:46   Link #78
retardation
phantom loser

i'm busting through shows about 2 days each.

what's the feeling on outlaw star?
Old 2007-10-08, 03:53   Link #79
retardation
phantom loser

i really want to watch this Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei business but there's only 7 episodes subbed so far it looks like

looking at this season's current lineup, i don't see a single show other than genshiken 2 that really tickles my fancy. what current shows are people keeping their eyes on?

i'm reallying hurting for things to watch right now that aren't mecha while i'm waiting for the other shows i wanted to see from last season to finish getting subbed. especially looking for some good comedies and that type of thing... funny ones.

Last edited by retardation; 2007-10-08 at 04:22.
Old 2007-10-23, 05:09   Link #80
retardation
phantom loser

i can't let my thread go all the way to page 5...

just watched some series:

guardian of the sacred spirit: this is pretty disappointing but still very good. i mean i expected amazing. it's just very good. still not done it yet though. only at ep 12. i feel like i've watched 3-4 episodes of filler.

darker than black- i loved it even though i had no idea what was going on. if that makes me an idiot, so be it.

kare kano- finally saw this. it was good at the beginning and then it didn't have anywhere to go. it could've focused on the auxiliary characters because whatshisname and whoserface's relationship got really boring.

school days - this was like a hentai with no explicit images. hentai's with explicit images are pretty lame as it is.

texhnolyze - this was good, had a lot of lull though. there are a lot of stretches where nobody talks or anything. still a good series though. it goes hard, without any sugar coating or fluffly nonsense, which i like.

rod tv - awesome. a lot like darker than black actually.

claymore - great til the end, which was lame and sappy

so what else is left? i got lovely complex teed up i think
Closed Thread

Tags
comparisons, reviews