AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-16, 03:10   Link #601
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, the hate for this one is really intense - I'm glad I have no attachments to either the manga or the 1999 series and can enjoy it for what it is.

Frankly, what it looks like to me is that the 2011 series is actually more faithful to the manga than the 1999 series was, but for many people the 1999 series is more "canon" than the manga is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 04:14   Link #602
Megiddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The tear is inside the chest. Plenty of room to do that, now.
Okay, so I'm guessing you either do not comprehend the area of cloth that would be required to cover the heart(HINT: It would be larger than the hole itself) or you do not understand how holes in shirts work. If you want, find an old shirt that you'll likely never wear and tear a hole big enough that the cloth from the tear can cover your fist entirely. Now try to wear the shirt. Now compare what you are wearing (particularly the size of the hole) to the scene as it played out in the episode.

Bam. Wrong. Inconsistent. As far as why Killua would have a bag, I have no clue. Just like I have no clue why he put the heart in the bag. It makes no sense. Which is my entire problem with the scene. There was no reason for it to occur.
Megiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 07:21   Link #603
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megiddo View Post
Okay, so I'm guessing you either do not comprehend the area of cloth that would be required to cover the heart(HINT: It would be larger than the hole itself) or you do not understand how holes in shirts work. If you want, find an old shirt that you'll likely never wear and tear a hole big enough that the cloth from the tear can cover your fist entirely. Now try to wear the shirt. Now compare what you are wearing (particularly the size of the hole) to the scene as it played out in the episode.

Bam. Wrong. Inconsistent. As far as why Killua would have a bag, I have no clue. Just like I have no clue why he put the heart in the bag. It makes no sense. Which is my entire problem with the scene. There was no reason for it to occur.
Think of it as Killua is fast and that he was trained to tuck part of the remaining shirt into the hole to make the area look more inconspicuous so that as an assassin he can leave the scene unnoticed.

Successful assassins do not draw attention to themselves.
Old 2011-12-16, 10:44   Link #604
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow, the hate for this one is really intense - I'm glad I have no attachments to either the manga or the 1999 series and can enjoy it for what it is.

Frankly, what it looks like to me is that the 2011 series is actually more faithful to the manga than the 1999 series was, but for many people the 1999 series is more "canon" than the manga is.
This is very true. I think that this is actually a fantastic adaptation, but a lot of the vocal detractors prefer the 1999 series to the manga. I started out reading Hunter x Hunter in its manga format, so I don't hold the same feelings as those fans. That isn't to say that the 1999 series isn't a good show (I like it a lot too!), but there were a lot of ways that the characters, setting, and tone were different.

I haven't gone in depth with this in any of my comparisons yet (because a Japanese lesson is sort of unnecessary), but the way Gon talks in the 1999 series is different from the manga and 2011 series. Notably, he is more polite. Here's a pretty big example: in the 1999 series, Gon exclusively calls Ging his "father." But in the manga and 2011 series, he calls Ging his "old man." That slight difference in nuance makes one think differently about Gon--especially considering that he and Killua speak in an almost identical manner in the manga. They're similar kids, which is how they bonded so quickly.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 11:25   Link #605
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
This is very true. I think that this is actually a fantastic adaptation, but a lot of the vocal detractors prefer the 1999 series to the manga. I started out reading Hunter x Hunter in its manga format, so I don't hold the same feelings as those fans. That isn't to say that the 1999 series isn't a good show (I like it a lot too!), but there were a lot of ways that the characters, setting, and tone were different.

I haven't gone in depth with this in any of my comparisons yet (because a Japanese lesson is sort of unnecessary), but the way Gon talks in the 1999 series is different from the manga and 2011 series. Notably, he is more polite. Here's a pretty big example: in the 1999 series, Gon exclusively calls Ging his "father." But in the manga and 2011 series, he calls Ging his "old man." That slight difference in nuance makes one think differently about Gon--especially considering that he and Killua speak in an almost identical manner in the manga. They're similar kids, which is how they bonded so quickly.
I know exactly where you are coming from. I've based most of my opinions on the new anime based on how it compares against the manga; the reason I've had some issues with it are because a lot of the scenes that have been changed have been scenes that I really dearly loved in the manga. The 1999 series is a good show, but it definitely missed some marks off the characters and tone from the manga. I actually hard to argue this a little bit with a friend who was decrying the change in tone (particularly the game at midnight) when I noted that the tone in 2011 series pretty much matched the manga's a lot more.

Thanks for the note about the language! I've relied on translations for the manga so I have never gotten to know about that nuance. I noticed the difference between the 1999 series and 2011 series between Gon's addressing of Ging but I never realized what it was in the manga; most translation haven't made that little difference. If they had it's been a really long time and I'm not sure where it'd be when they had. Without that note, I always just thought that Gon and Killua became friends because of their similar ages and how indifferent Gon is to a lot of the things most of us would be something that would be taken aback by. The way they speak doesn't always directly translate in manga so it does give you a different outlook on it.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 01:48   Link #606
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep12:
Old 2011-12-18, 06:39   Link #607
rinichan

I guess the only way to see beside the ratings if hxh 2011 is really love by new generations of today is by seeing how many volumes will "HunterxHunter Treasure" get sold.

Happy to see HXH 2011 getting 4.8% I think this is the Highest so far (ooh wait it got a 5% before ?what ep) this episode is Kurapika's violent anger episode while it sank to 4.3% on Killua's killing debut I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep12:

If that's a recap I guess we may get a new op ed for ep 13 then? any news on it?

Last edited by rinichan; 2011-12-18 at 06:58.
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 11:29   Link #608
Gooral
Banned

Another awful episode. Over half of it was a stupid filler making retards out of characters ("you have to think like fish", lol) and making us watch utterly pointless things. It was a level of Isshoni Sleeping so it was boring as hell. At the end they've made a 2 minute cliffhanger (sic!) to show how awesome they can direct the show . Seriously people, watch the old show to see how it should be done. The worst thing is, next episode will probably be even more awful :/. This show disappoints me on every possible level.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 13:26   Link #609
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

First half was a little boring with just them waiting until the 50 minutes are up. Glad Gon figured out a way for all of them to pass instead of having to leave people behind. So wonder what the 4th phase will be.
Old 2011-12-18, 17:25   Link #610
TheKage

Curious as to what the narrator meant. Did he mean immediately after what I believe to be a recap episode or does he just mean "soon"? That would mean a bit of a skip then which I would... not like at all.

The first half was interesting since they decided to do some development as we waited. The 50 hours were just skipped over in the manga.

Just got off a week with a recap in another series so having a recap in this, when there's no need for filler kinda gets to me.
Old 2011-12-19, 04:15   Link #611
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post

Another awful episode. Over half of it was a stupid filler making retards out of characters ("you have to think like fish", lol) and making us watch utterly pointless things. It was a level of Isshoni Sleeping so it was boring as hell. At the end they've made a 2 minute cliffhanger (sic!) to show how awesome they can direct the show . Seriously people, watch the old show to see how it should be done. The worst thing is, next episode will probably be even more awful :/. This show disappoints me on every possible level.
they said its a recap. So i think i'll pass and its holiday (I mean they didnt really celebrate that most families will go on trips like amusement park or malls) so ratings wont matter.
Old 2011-12-19, 04:29   Link #612
Vicious108

I thought it was kind of amusing how they actually went and had "bored" be the vocabulary of the week for this episode's eyecatch. They better hope the feeling didn't resound with the viewers as well.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 10:41   Link #613
rinichan

anyway just wanted to ask the following
Spoiler for Which and who?:
Old 2011-12-19, 13:21   Link #614
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Another awful episode. Over half of it was a stupid filler making retards out of characters ("you have to think like fish", lol) and making us watch utterly pointless things. It was a level of Isshoni Sleeping so it was boring as hell. .
Yeah, it's funny how they skipped manga stuff and now they're already resorting to bad filler AND a recap episode...there wasn't even much going on to deserve a recap this soon. Sheesh.
"more faithful to the manga", yeaaa right.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 13:34   Link #615
Gooral
Banned

By focusing on such pointless things like staring at the wall (literally) viewers that are bored by it (before seeing posts here I would say everyone) tend to detach from the story as a result and pay more attention to details. For example, in the room was everything people would need except a toilet. Having to stay for over 50 hours without a chance to take a crap earlier could prove fatal to people that had to stay in such a small room. Forget about having to sniff Tonpa's socks, that would be like daisies compared to the smell of some other 'things' ;P. And that's only one of the problems with that scene. This episode is really as worthless as Isshoni Sleeping and I just can't believe there are people who actually enjoyed it.

Also, I think no one mentioned it but creators of this version ripped the idea of Tonpa and Leorio fighting from old version creators (unless it was Togashi himself who came up with it). Which wouldn't be a bad idea if they didn't try to "improve" that scene and show they have ideas of their own. Particularly the fact that Tonpa used a halberd instead of an axe. Firstly, he's a bit too short for that weapon, secondly it was a stupid choice for a room of that size and Tonpa is anything but stupid.

As I've said many times already, this anime is very badly directed (same thing happened with Claymore anime which was also produced by Madhouse studio). At first the pace was too fast and they've cut too much of material (important at that), then they've slowed down and old anime episodes showed more in less time in comparison. Now they've started adding hideous fillers that made me to use skip button for the first time I've been watching new anime. Even people not familiar with the manga will easily recognize that it is filler (contrary to old anime where fillers were actually interesting and fitted well with the rest). This is a disaster.
Old 2011-12-19, 16:28   Link #616
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Aside from the sushi thing (which is ultimately a minor gripe), I don't think they've cut too much. But yeah, I don't like it when they slow down.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 20:47   Link #617
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:

Not that you aren't free to feel this way, but we're 12 episodes in and I've seen nothing but complaints from you. You don't have to get out if you don't wish, but I'd recommend dropping the show at this point. This show is going to be long, so I don't see the need of torturing oneself for so long unless your only wish is to provoke the viewers, in which case... You're just trolling.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 22:20   Link #618
TheKage

Quote:
Also, I think no one mentioned it but creators of this version ripped the idea of Tonpa and Leorio fighting from old version creators (unless it was Togashi himself who came up with it). Which wouldn't be a bad idea if they didn't try to "improve" that scene and show they have ideas of their own. Particularly the fact that Tonpa used a halberd instead of an axe. Firstly, he's a bit too short for that weapon, secondly it was a stupid choice for a room of that size and Tonpa is anything but stupid.
They pretty much did what the 1999 version did. Leorio and Tonpa start to argue in the manga but not the way it happens in the anime. They want to actually fight; Tonpa wants to use his fists while Leorio takes out his butterfly knife? In the manga, Gon points out how the prisoners were able to break the ground and the walls with their hands so using the tools in the room they'd get through it a little faster.

I was hoping that the fast pace would bring us to latter events faster, not having to take a week for recap but c'est la vie. All the gripes I have are only my own major gripes. I didn't have too many with this episode. Just a little sad that this week will be a recap it looks like.
Old 2011-12-20, 01:21   Link #619
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Not that you aren't free to feel this way, but we're 12 episodes in and I've seen nothing but complaints from you. You don't have to get out if you don't wish, but I'd recommend dropping the show at this point. This show is going to be long, so I don't see the need of torturing oneself for so long unless your only wish is to provoke the viewers, in which case... You're just trolling.
Oh really? Blame creators for doing such a poor job. Also, FYI I don't care what you think, this is public forum not "for new Hunter x Hunter anime lovers forum". And you've been here so long that you should know there is "ignore" option, if you don't like my posts you can add me to your ignore list (or just not read them if they bother you so much). To not know how to handle a situation like this only shows that you're the perfect audience for new HxH anime . I suppose that countering my arguments is too hard for someone who can't even see the obvious flaws this anime has. The only thing you're capable of is accusing me of trolling or that I'm provoking other users because I happen to have other opinion than most *shocking*. Are you serious !? To be honest I probably would consider stopping commenting on the new anime if:
a) There wouldn't be people who agree with me (and there are many people who agree, just look at this page for example)
b) People would mention about shortcomings of this anime

Quote:
Also, I think no one mentioned it but creators of this version ripped the idea of Tonpa and Leorio fighting from old version creators
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
They pretty much did what the 1999 version did.
lol
I've written that much but also mentioned that in old anime it was done better if only for the fact that Tonpa was being Tonpa and not some retard who chose a random weapon instead of one that he was familiar with and that fitted his body size.
Old 2011-12-20, 01:56   Link #620
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I didn't accuse you of trolling, but you've just been rather negative overall and I'm just advising you that I don't see why your negativity is going to change 10 or 20 episodes down the road. If you aren't enjoying this, I don't get the persistence in being so negative in this thread is all, and that's why if you continue to do this at that point, then you're going to be seen as a troll.

If you want me to debate with you there's nothing to debate about. You found it boring, I didn't find it particularly engrossing either the first half. It's not like I don't see some validity to your claims about that, but at the same time I didn't feel that BAD about the first half. The episode wasn't the best, that's for sure, but I also didn't feel as badly as you did.

Other than that though, you didn't really bring much substantive criticism against it worth tuslting about, especially when you start complaining about things like Tonpa using a halberd instead of an axe (lol?).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen