AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-11, 00:01   Link #461
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Wait I thought the character designs was done by Kanzaki? My understanding that Yoshida's only involvement is his past work on the original series.
Both Ao and Naru are designed by Yoshida for sure.

Im tempted to say the new Nirvash design is by Kawamori as well, but maybe duckroll can correct me on that
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 00:08   Link #462
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Wait I thought the character designs was done by Kanzaki? My understanding that Yoshida's only involvement is his past work on the original series.
Yoshida designed the key characters in AO. Ao and Naru are definitely Yoshida, while the other supporting characters so far are mostly (all?) Kanzaki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post

Im tempted to say the new Nirvash design is by Kawamori as well, but maybe duckroll can correct me on that
Kawamori is credited for Nirvash Design, but I'm honestly not sure if that is a credit for him designing the original Nirvash (like how Okawara is credited for Gundam designs sometimes) or if he actually designed the new one himself.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 00:12   Link #463
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Yoshida designed the key characters in AO. Ao and Naru are definitely Yoshida, while the other supporting characters so far are mostly (all?) Kanzaki.

Kawamori is credited for Nirvash Design, but I'm honestly not sure if that is a credit for him designing the original Nirvash (like how Okawara is credited for Gundam designs sometimes) or if he actually designed the new one himself.
Yeah, I thought the exact same thing too, but the key art for the Nirvash seems like a typical Kawamori design pose, unlike the other two mechs on the main page, and overall design wise it does still seem like something that could come from Kawamori. I dunno, I guess it could be either way lol.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 00:49   Link #464
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post

It looked like Yoshida's style but I thought Kanzaki was imitating it as a throwback to the original series(and continuity purposes) as I hadn't heard Yoshida actually working on this(other than some art he did for the announcement).

The new Nirvash does look very much like Kawamori but again that could have been done by another designer to look like an updated Kawamori-design.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 07:17   Link #465
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Can you even apply nostalgia goggles for a show that many people have seen less than seven years ago? Seriously.
I myself have only watched E7 about a year ago or so, what, is it nostalgia in me speaking too? That's ridiculous.
That's just a generalization. You can't say alot of people have seen Eureka 7 recently just as people can't say alot of people saw it when it first aired. The nostalgia goggles comment infers to the people who watched it while it was on TV six years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
So far I'm moderately optimistic. The PV looks pretty good. Interesting story angle, I wouldn't mind a Diebuster-like connection to the original.

The time-slot is worrying. Late night anime and mecha rarely mix well, I'd feel more secure if it was an OVA or if it was programmed in a daytime slot.

No Dai Sato could be an issue, he is one of a handful of quality writers in the business. Still Kakuto Takeyoshi could be a pseudonym (for god knows who).

I'll certainly watch it, reserving judgement until then.
If you've seen the recent works he's done I'm not crying myself to sleep that he's not involved with this sequel
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 08:19   Link #466
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
If you've seen the recent works he's done I'm not crying myself to sleep that he's not involved with this sequel
Afaik he hasn't been involved with a lot of anime lately. The Norageki OVA was nice, some minor work on Eden of the East, which was very good. Lupin III is too early to tell, but made good start.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 08:29   Link #467
Xagzan

Quote:
For Naoki Sato's absence, on the other hand, many tears do I shed T_T

Well, only about 1 day left now. I'm looking forward to finally seeing how it turns out.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 10:17   Link #468
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Afaik he hasn't been involved with a lot of anime lately. The Norageki OVA was nice, some minor work on Eden of the East, which was very good. Lupin III is too early to tell, but made good start.
Uh....he wrote Tekken Blood Vengeance btw. And Norageki and EoE were mediocre I wouldn't ncessarily highlight them as noteworthy considering how the latter turned out . And it's not that hard to write a Lupin epiosde considering Mari Okada is behind it as well
Old 2012-04-11, 10:48   Link #469
Bri

Quote:
Uh....he wrote Tekken Blood Vengeance btw. And Norageki and EoE were mediocre I wouldn't ncessarily highlight them as noteworthy considering how the latter turned out . And it's not that hard to write a Lupin epiosde considering Mari Okada is behind it as well
Tekken is not exactly anime, a CG movie based on a fighting game...that's like kryptonite to decent writing. I can't hold that against him.

Mari Okada has her fair share of howlers too, Fractale anyone? She also needs someone capable supervising her to keep her sense of toilet humor in check.
Old 2012-04-11, 10:57   Link #470
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Tekken is not exactly anime, a CG movie based on a fighting game...that's like kryptonite to decent writing. I can't hold that against him.
Uh yeah, we can hold it against him. Supposedly he was given a creative freedom with the script. And besides, how is writing a CG movie different from writing an anime?
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 11:29   Link #471
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Uh yeah, we can hold it against him. Supposedly he was given a creative freedom with the script. And besides, how is writing a CG movie different from writing an anime?
Because movies which are video game adaptions pretty much always stink?

Don't know if there is a difference in the writing process, but there is definitely a difference in the make up of the audience and how they perceive it. Tropes and conventions in anime are different from those of more mainstream media, good writing for anime does not have to translate to good writing for a different market. I don't see how a failure in a different market has to affect his credentials for anime.
Old 2012-04-11, 13:39   Link #472
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10702/T...lood_Vengeance
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=8414
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=12976

Quote:
Because movies which are video game adaptions pretty much always stink?
So you're pretty much just being an apologist
Quote:
Don't know if there is a difference in the writing process, but there is definitely a difference in the make up of the audience and how they perceive it. Tropes and conventions in anime are different from those of more mainstream media, good writing for anime does not have to translate to good writing for a different market. I don't see how a failure in a different market has to affect his credentials for anime.
And this doesn't even make sense. There's no criteria between those two different mediums, anything can be considered bad on any spectrum.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:21   Link #473
Bri

Quote:
So you're pretty much just being an apologist
Not as much as you seem to need to attack the man's reputation as a writer by talking down all his recent work.

Quote:
And this doesn't even make sense. There's no criteria between those two different mediums, anything can be considered bad on any spectrum.
You're contradicting yourself. First nitpick that it is a form of anime and later on deny it again.

I'll leave it at this.
Old 2012-04-11, 19:06   Link #474
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Not as much as you seem to need to attack the man's reputation as a writer by talking down all his recent work.
Because his recent work hasn't been good so I fail to see what plight you're going through that he's not involve in the sequel. You're the one outright denying his involvement in a bad film

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself. First nitpick that it is a form of anime and later on deny it again.

I'll leave it at this.
That's not even a contradiction. You're wrong and you refuse to admit it. The example I brought up was to show how ridiculous your argument is that we shouldn't criticize work as a writer if it weren't an anime which doesn't even make sense for one thing. There's liking Dai Soto's work on E7and then there's outright denying his involvement in other less praiseworthy works
Old 2012-04-11, 19:59   Link #475
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Why is the thread getting derailed with Dai Sato crap when the guy isn't even involved with this show? Lol.
Old 2012-04-11, 20:59   Link #476
ChocoBar9
Banned

Some people can't let go? lol
Old 2012-04-11, 23:46   Link #477
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Why is the thread getting derailed with Dai Sato crap when the guy isn't even involved with this show? Lol.
What else can we discuss? Not like the manga's worth talking about.
Old 2012-04-12, 01:44   Link #478
webkid94
*Author

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=110009

Bandai Visual put out solicitations for 9 volumes of AO on BD/DVD, first volume is 5000yen with 2 episodes, the rest contain three episodes. Total? 26 episodes. For now, we can safely assume it's not going to be one-cour. I'm hoping, heck even praying, that this show will be good.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 01:45   Link #479
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webkid94 View Post

Bandai Visual put out solicitations for 9 volumes of AO on BD/DVD, first volume is 5000yen with 2 episodes, the rest contain three episodes. Total? 26 episodes. For now, we can safely assume it's not going to be one-cour. I'm hoping, heck even praying, that this show will be good.
26 episodes sounds about right these days. Also, the Japanese blu-rays all come with English subtitles as well, which seems to be the new standard practice for all "big" releases from Bandai Visual.

The cover art for the first volume is by Kenichi Yoshida and Shiho Takeuchi.
Old 2012-04-12, 02:31   Link #480
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by webkid94 View Post

So a minimum of 26. Is it possible there could be a total of 50 and they just put out the first volumes?

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen