AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-17, 09:41   Link #1
StormD
D is for Damage!

Send a message via ICQ to StormD Send a message via AIM to StormD
How much flack does your group take? (post here for laughs)

(searched for this topic and didn't find it...feel free to merge with an existing thread if it's redundant)

I've watched fan-subbed anime since the days when we traded unsubbed tapes and photocopied scripts/summaries to read along with, but have only just recently decided to get involved with actually subbing a title. Having been on the internet for a while, and being an active file-trader, I was dimly aware of a certain level of drama associated with various fansub groups (I know a favorite pastime among some of my anime-trading friends was to go into #anime-junkies and see how fast they could get banned without actually coming out and saying "mass naked child events").

I had thought that I might be able to escape some of that drama, but as this thread demonstrates, I may have well have thought I might be able to escape the sun rising tomorrow. I've so far been involved with exactly two projects, and obviously someone is upset with one of them.

I'm not at all upset by this, so much as amused. The personal emails I have gotten from this guy have been hillarious (spoilered for space-saving purposes):

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

(You heard it here first, folks: The .srt file is an insult to fansubbing!)

So, I figure, if I've been able to draw out a nut of this magnitude on my very first project, surely some people who have been subbing for longer can post even more outrageous examples of fans who were "less than satisfied" with the free anime they've been supplied. Post here to discuss the strangest or most hillarious hate-mail you've gotten...

V V V Burned out? No way, I'm far too busy lollin V V V

Last edited by StormD; 2004-05-17 at 10:16.
StormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 10:07   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

Fansubbers spend far too much energy putting up with people like that. I'd either completly ignore them or get so pissed off I'd have to spite each and every one.

Encode the next Panda-Z release in ASCII for that guy.

My hat is off to fansubbers for not getting burned out by some of us fans and leaving the scene.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 10:35   Link #3
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
This is hilarious I have actually seen this guy on other forums doing exactly what your saying, complaining. The world is full of the ignorant, sad really that people can't respect others. I don't watch panda Z personally but thank you for doing it for the people who do watch it. Hopefully that fellow will find a better player to watch anime, he seems behind the times not knowing soft subtitles and all

Rob
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 11:13   Link #4
mirichan

At first, I started screaming when I saw some groups using .ogm or now .mkv since it scared me.

Now that I've installed WMP classic, which runs all these file format, I could not be happier. I wish most fansubber groups were doing that for a simple reason...

FONTS...

I'm not 15. Some people, while I love their translations, drive me bonkers with hard to read font... or color of said font and that's when watching on a 19" monitor... With the .mkv format, I just choose the font color I want to see and how big. It does NOT do anything to the original file but I am a very happy anime watcher when I can do that.

As for his letters/comments... he sounds like a rude kid. I would just block his emails if I were you.
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 11:26   Link #5
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
humm...
my group hasn't yet seen anyone like this...
the only notes I've gotten so far have been:
"Why'd ya stop Naruto?!" which was a misunderstanding post (he thought I was BakaSan)...
"Why don't you have any fservs on ur channel?!!"
and some notes about how crappy our site looks...
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:32   Link #6
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

I do apologize for that git. We've gotten virtually no flack for anything short of the lack of karaoke on GM (which we no longer get) and the big yellow font-o-doom (which we no longer get complaints about either).
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:51   Link #7
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Damn, that guy is brilliant. I feel so lonely sitting in our Irc chan with no idiots to laugh at :P

Wait a minute! *light bulb* If we subbed Naruto we'd get... err.

If your talking about "flack," we've took some on here and other forums, but mostly for doing unnecessary things (.mkv, 800x600 encodes etc, haha) and either me or our encoder going off on one and ranting at someone about something.

But over all our experience with idiots has been pretty limited to one huge idiot, who naming and shaming would just be sad I guess, but he's still about on here unfortunately... :P
I guess releasing in .mkv filters a lot of the idiots, since many of them can't be bothered to install the playback pack, haha.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 15:12   Link #8
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
humm...
my group hasn't yet seen anyone like this...
the only notes I've gotten so far have been:
"Why'd ya stop Naruto?!" which was a misunderstanding post (he thought I was BakaSan)...
"Why don't you have any fservs on ur channel?!!"
and some notes about how crappy our site looks...
Actually, I would say your fansubs have provoked the ultimate compliment from me: I am planning on starting a small fansub group of my own, and I was originally going to do Pretty Cure, but because of your subs I've changed to doing Keroro Gunsou instead... (FYI I have a translator and have managed to teach myself SSA and textsub... we'll see how things go from there).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 15:30   Link #9
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Actually, I would say your fansubs have provoked the ultimate compliment from me: I am planning on starting a small fansub group of my own, and I was originally going to do Pretty Cure, but because of your subs I've changed to doing Keroro Gunsou instead... (FYI I have a translator and have managed to teach myself SSA and textsub... we'll see how things go from there).
Haha, Keroro Gunsou is gonna go from undersubbed to oversubbed overnight at this pace :P

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 15:33   Link #10
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormD
I've watched fan-subbed anime since the days when we traded unsubbed tapes and photocopied scripts/summaries to read along with, but have only just recently decided to get involved with actually subbing a title.
Oh man reading along?! Talk about archaic. Thank god no one has to do that anymore.

I like .srt files. It would be nice if all fansubbers had scripts for people who like to buy R2 or R3 DVDs.

Most people who watch digital fansubs and surf the forums are early teenagers and kids. They don't really understand netiquette, fansubbing, ethics, or anything like that. Hence, the many immature idiots. I find it embarrassing and annoying, but what can you do? Patience and blocking.

(Actually, I want to complain about the immature tastes and attitudes abounding in just about every other post, but I try to refrain so as not to look like a total bitch. AHHHHHHH! Couldn't help myself here though. )
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 18:01   Link #11
ichido reichan

I dont like personally the MKV and OGM files, not that I cant play them, is annoying the way it is, and the last time I watch an MKV file with the so called "softsubs" ( I guess it was tree of palme) each time the person who talked and finished to talk, the sub was there until the next one pop up, sometimes I had to wait 2-3 minutes with the last sub "on screen" so maybe you guys like it, but I dont see any improvement or point of view to work on that.

but that is me...

last time I tried to join a group, I had to ditch the entire group because i ask them to release a AVI and a MKV format at the same time, the "heads" (without brains ) of the group wanted to do exclusively a MKV format and they never listened or work the idea off, the funny thing is I was supplying the dvds R2 and the scripts at the same time and they could'nt even let me release a format of my choice, plus they were slow as hell and many other little details that one day I got tired , I grab my scripts and my stuff and I started release my own encodes since then.

my next step is ofcourse, become my own translator... so dont complain about unaccurate translations later, someone has to invent dialogue sometimes like AMBU and BAKASAN does at least is better than copy and paste subs from other groups and call them your own.
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 18:07   Link #12
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

Quote:
Most people who watch digital fansubs and surf the forums are early teenagers and kids.
I think this depends on the show in question. Something as "mainstream" as naruto (to use the popular example) is gonna have a lot of younger people watching it, whereas something like KGNE for example is less likely to.
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 20:23   Link #13
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonkey
I think this depends on the show in question. Something as "mainstream" as naruto (to use the popular example) is gonna have a lot of younger people watching it, whereas something like KGNE for example is less likely to.
That's true, some series tend to have an older audience. KimiNozo though, I bet almost everyone who watches that show is a teenage or early 20s male.

I can't remember what the "what's you age" threads were turning up, but the average must have been 17...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 20:37   Link #14
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichido reichan
I dont like personally the MKV and OGM files, not that I cant play them, is annoying the way it is, and the last time I watch an MKV file with the so called "softsubs" ( I guess it was tree of palme) each time the person who talked and finished to talk, the sub was there until the next one pop up, sometimes I had to wait 2-3 minutes with the last sub "on screen" so maybe you guys like it, but I dont see any improvement or point of view to work on that.
When Lunar offered a choice DIVX beat out MKV by 5:1, which I think does a good job showing you what people would prefer. Unfortunately I think some people have a "we're doing it for free so to hell with what anyone thinks" attitude or "I can get it to play easily so anyone who can't is just retarded" so doubtlessly we'll see more MKV-only releases. I think having a choice is the best option--I have a lot of respect for Lunar making both available close to the same time.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 22:46   Link #15
StormD
D is for Damage!

Send a message via ICQ to StormD Send a message via AIM to StormD
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
When Lunar offered a choice DIVX beat out MKV by 5:1, which I think does a good job showing you what people would prefer. Unfortunately I think some people have a "we're doing it for free so to hell with what anyone thinks" attitude or "I can get it to play easily so anyone who can't is just retarded" so doubtlessly we'll see more MKV-only releases. I think having a choice is the best option--I have a lot of respect for Lunar making both available close to the same time.
If the masses were heeded for every decision that was ever made, there would be no progress, because most people fear change. However, this is not a thread for debating release formats, this is a thread for laughing at idiots who flame fansubbers for silly reasons.
StormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 22:52   Link #16
brood-faun

[QUOTE=ichido reichan]I dont like personally the MKV and OGM files, not that I cant play them, is annoying the way it is, and the last time I watch an MKV file with the so called "softsubs" ( I guess it was tree of palme) each time the person who talked and finished to talk, the sub was there until the next one pop up, sometimes I had to wait 2-3 minutes with the last sub "on screen" so maybe you guys like it, but I dont see any improvement or point of view to work on that.
[QUOTE]

The actual problem lies with timing not with MKV or OGM file itself. If it happens with OGM, it also could happen with .avi files. I personally prefer OGM/MKV over avi due to its usually have higher quality and subs on can be turned on/off(useful for taking pics/shifting timing). Though the biggest problem lies with these new file types that some have slow processor and won't able to handle OGM/MKV files properly. Releasing .avi with anyother file type is always a good idea.
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 23:35   Link #17
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Jesuschrist himself proclaimed that Soldats sucked at every opportunity, using the mircx commenting pages as the vessel of His voice before they were taken down. Apparently, we owe Him the last couple eps of Kaze no Yojimbo, and we're going to hell until He gets them.

Funny how we're going to hell for being MORE legal, not less. But then again, nobody ever said that religious faith made sense.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 23:46   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ah.... those last 3 episodes of KnY... I'd love to get my hands on them as well. It was so shocking when the license announcement came right after Soldats declared that they were going to be releasing them all in the next few weeks.

I'm surprised though, I figured that Jesuschrist could speak flawless Japanese. Doesn't that come with Omniscence?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 00:41   Link #19
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Hmmm, these last few posts raise an interesting point....

Can fansubbing and leaching be considered a religion? If we could somehow convince the courts that our fundamental beliefs are defined by subtitling and watching anime, we could argue that our constitutional right to practice our religion tops the intellectual property rights of Japanese and US companies...

Sounds like a plan...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 01:59   Link #20
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

As corporations are the ones who tell you what your Constitutional rights are, I somehow doubt freedom of religion will supercede copyright law.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote