AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-03-04, 10:31   Link #1
orion_star

Upmixing 2.0 to 5.1

I recently upgraded my computer and instead of using my old soundcard I decided to use the onboard sound as they are probably both equivalent in quality.

Anyways I've been trying all morning to get the Anime audio (in fact all audio, like mp3's and other shows) to upmix to 5.1 surround. The onboard soundcard is the ALC850 and I'm using CCCP, and have all the settings I could find set to 3/2 + LFE and I still can't get the sound to come out of all the speakers. I know the speakers are plugged in correctly because I can use the Auto Test and sound plays from all speakers, I even downloaded a file which plays sound from all speakers.

I know I got it to work on my old c-media sound card but I forgot what I did. I have also looked through this forum and other places and have had no luck in finding a solution.

So if anyone uses this onboard sound and is able to upmix (or atleast knows how to do it), I would greatly appreciate your help.

Note: I also tried multiple files when trying to get audio out of all speakers just incase something was corrupt. And I've used WMP, the classic media player that comes with CCCP and TCMP, and same result on all three.
Old 2006-03-04, 10:55   Link #2
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

If you want to upmix, get a receiver to do it.
Old 2006-03-04, 11:14   Link #3
orion_star

Well I didn't have one before an I was able to get "5.1 Surround" from normal stereo when wtaching anime, listening to music, etc.. all non-5.1 files.
Old 2006-03-04, 11:26   Link #4
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Try Pro Logic II. That's essentially 2.0 -> 5.1.
Old 2006-03-04, 13:05   Link #5
orion_star

Hmm, I just tried that and it doesn't seem to have done the trick. Could it be the onboard sound? I wouldn't think it would matter as it is 8 channel and it is software that does the upmixing (I believe in this case).
Old 2006-03-04, 17:47   Link #6
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Check what the audio drivers are set to output/input, and that ffdshow really is decoding the audio. If the drivers are decent, you should be able to set "no mixing" in ffdshow and let them do the upmixing.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-03-04, 21:19   Link #7
orion_star

Well according to GSPOT ffdshow is decoding both audio and video.

I don't quite follow what you mean by "check what the audio drivers are set to output/input" sorry if it's obvious it just not clear to me.
Old 2006-03-04, 23:36   Link #8
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Logic7 (Lexicon and Harman Kardan only) > DTS Neo:6 > PLII > original > no sound > PL

I seem to recall having said that before, but I'm not sure if it was here...

By the way, are you using analog connections or S/PDIF?
Old 2006-03-04, 23:49   Link #9
orion_star

analog connections, I have the logitech z-680's
Old 2006-03-05, 12:34   Link #10
orion_star

Well I'm not 100% sure what I did but I downloaded the nForce audio drivers instead of the asus ones. And at first it didn't work but I uninstalled both sets (I forgot to uninstall the original Realtek ones that Asus gives you) and then just reinstalled the nForce ones and it seems to work perfectly now.