AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 25 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 263 62.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 16.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 8.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 2.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.71%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.24%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.24%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.24%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 3.31%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-27, 07:10   Link #321
Milkdud

Once again this was a very nice episode. That kiss was EPIC. I just cant get that moment out my mind. I never would have guessed something like that in an anime could be so moving. My only complaint about this episode is Taiga being gone for a whole YEAR. I mean OMG that was just horrible. To be away from somebody you have such strong feelings for, for so long is just too much. I will miss the show and I would like to see a Toradora movie based on the things that happened during there year apart. Im sure they found some kinda way to see each other in that time based off the anime. I would like to see a lil bit on how things went with Taiga and her family, Ryuji and his mom and if Yuri-sensei finally found a love intrest lol.
Old 2009-03-27, 07:13   Link #322
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The main issue I have with this is simply the fact that the characters themselves didn't display this level of angst, at their separation (after the initial shock, anyway). The show didn't let them.
Also, it was pretty obvious that Ryuji and Taiga didn't stay incommunicado during the whole time they spent apart
My personal opinion is that the level of emotion was just right. Episode 24 was an overdose of angst; we don't need an extra serving of it in the final episode. The relationship between Taiga and Ryuuji is sufficiently stable for emotional outbursts to be unnecessary. They're no longer in the "heat of passion" but their bond is stronger than ever... that must be a good thing, no? (Because most teenage relationships are initially hot, fuelled by emotions, and the second those emotions cool down, poof, it's a break-up.)

At first, I was saddened at the thought of their year-long separation and under the impression that they didn't communicate at all. But staying incommunicando in this day and age would be extremely, extremely unlikely, wouldn't it? (Probability = close to 0%) Surely Ryuuji replied to Taiga's text and they began a regular correspondence... unless Taiga moved to a taiga (sorry for the pun) forest in the middle of Siberia, with no mobile network coverage or internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I'm absolutely rooting for some sort of Toradora ~Next Season~, but this time with Ami. I just can't help but love Ami, and I thought her final scene with Ryuuji was even better than the kiss itself (which was great).
I wouldn't be impressed at all if that means pairing off Ryuuji and Ami in some alternate universe like ~Tomoyo After~ vs. Clannad ~After Story~. Neither would anyone here who has been complaining about "resets" in other series.
Old 2009-03-27, 07:17   Link #323
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Ami After will ruin the story feel. She maybe hot and interesting but this story won't allow for such development. She is afterall a foil that defy conventional wisdom that hot chicks must be a heroine all the time.
Old 2009-03-27, 07:30   Link #324
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Ami After will ruin the story feel. She maybe hot and interesting but this story won't allow for such development. She is afterall a foil that defy conventional wisdom that hot chicks must be a heroine all the time.
Despite the anime constantly telling us that Ami is hot, attractive, good-looking, a model, etc... I always felt Taiga was better looking
Old 2009-03-27, 07:37   Link #325
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

How about some Kitamura X Sumire geeky, exhibitionistic, sadomasochistic adventures in the US of A? I could see a spectacular ending in space--IN SPACE!
Old 2009-03-27, 07:43   Link #326
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

To me, Clannad was Terrible, but Clannad ~Tomoyo~ was epic.

I'm more than satisfied with Toradora, but how would I feel about a Tordora ~Ami~?
Old 2009-03-27, 07:46   Link #327
Avira
fanart-fan :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Despite the anime constantly telling us that Ami is hot, attractive, good-looking, a model, etc... I always felt Taiga was better looking
The two things Ami has is...height and, quite frankly, boobs
Which seems to be all you need to be called beautiful in Japan(don't forget the boobs, they're IMPORTANT.)
But I always thought Taiga was simply prettier.

Ami's hair is boring:/
Old 2009-03-27, 08:06   Link #328
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
These are things that I wish they would have clarified.

If they had used the 2 month gap period instead it wouldn't have been such a big deal even if she wasn't clear across Japan.
I think Taiga actually did stay in Japan for the whole year. Her uniform gives a clue.
Old 2009-03-27, 08:09   Link #329
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi
I loved the last episode, and I'm happy for Taiga and Ryuuji. I'm just sad that it's over now. ;~;
Old 2009-03-27, 08:14   Link #330
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
@Reckoner

I think a re-watch might be in order to clear up the whole Ryuji x Yasako thing, paying extra attention to the scenes involving them. Yasako's meltdown and Ryuji's angst were all foreshadowed pretty well if you were paying attention.
This right here. Specifically go back to the exchange in episode 19 when Yasuko gives him the watch and she explains how she ran away from home to have Ryuuji, while he looks on sadly. A lot of people probably overlooked this scene because they didn't know it'd be important but it set-up a lot of things that came later. They kinda tipped you off that the watch scene was important in episode 24 by the way by having her leave the watch with the note for him, and Yasuko left the house because she's emotionally still very immature because well, she did this once before, she was just a child herself when she moved out of her home and started raising a kid of her own by herself. It all ties together pretty nicely.

The show doesn't tell you she's sad about these events but do they really need to tell you a teenager would miss the comfort of home when they've started raising a child on their own and working at a sleazy host bar for money? For me that's been a big part of the fun of this show is trying to figure out character motivations and I've found that once you start talking to people here about it and think it over for a while, each and every character's motivations become very clear. There's no such thing as "Out of character" in Toradora (Besides some inside jokes and meta humor.), merely that they didn't meet your expectations based on similar shows in the past.
Old 2009-03-27, 08:19   Link #331
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avira View Post
The two things Ami has is...height and, quite frankly, boobs
Which seems to be all you need to be called beautiful in Japan(don't forget the boobs, they're IMPORTANT.)
But I always thought Taiga was simply prettier.
Speaking of boobs, Yasuko was a lot more attractive (a) without makeup, (b) with her hair tied back, and (c) covering up her cleavage. That mother-and-son scene at the grandparents' house was the only time I ever thought: "ah, Yasuko is pretty after all..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
I think Taiga actually did stay in Japan for the whole year. Her uniform gives a clue.
Houkoholic has an alternative theory (he/she posted this earlier in the thread, I think?):
Perhaps Taiga did indeed go overseas and went to Ryuuji's school wearing her middle school uniform since (1) sailor-fuku is apparently more common as a middle school uniform these days, (2) most Japanese schools have strict uniform codes requiring some sort of uniform to be worn whilst on campus, and (3) Taiga didn't take her red blazer uniform with her. Also, in PM correspondence with me, Houkoholic suggested that the "middle school uniform" might serve as a joke to accentuate the fact that Taiga hadn't grown at all
Old 2009-03-27, 08:26   Link #332
brain
house music addict

Quote:
Even just reading the first light novel translated, it's far more obvious than when watching the anime just what Ryuuji's thoughts are. Those thoughts, from the moment he first bumps into her, always have one thing underlying them: regardless of her ferocity, he thinks that Taiga is utterly gorgeous. The anime doesn't quite do justice to the immense yet subtle attraction they both had to each other from the very beginning. That being said, the light novel doesn't really explore Taiga's thoughts directly to show her side of the coin, but it is more telling from her dialogue.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last edited by brain; 2009-03-27 at 09:25. Reason: making up words
Old 2009-03-27, 09:14   Link #333
Lucky
Bored old member

Taiga's Zidane impression was almost better then Zidane himself.
Old 2009-03-27, 09:32   Link #334
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I saw something over Komica about how someone pictured Toradora should go after this... it being titled Toradora! ~After Story~

Spoiler for massive spoiler all around:

Talk about copyright infringement.

@Naraku... yea. that is by far the most brutal short fic I've seen.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2009-03-27 at 10:02.
Old 2009-03-27, 09:32   Link #335
Naraku

Quote:
Houkoholic has an alternative theory (he/she posted this earlier in the thread, I think?):
Perhaps Taiga did indeed go overseas and went to Ryuuji's school wearing her middle school uniform since (1) sailor-fuku is apparently more common as a middle school uniform these days, (2) most Japanese schools have strict uniform codes requiring some sort of uniform to be worn whilst on campus, and (3) Taiga didn't take her red blazer uniform with her. Also, in PM correspondence with me, Houkoholic suggested that the "middle school uniform" might serve as a joke to accentuate the fact that Taiga hadn't grown at all
I can fully accept this theory and think that it would be a work and subtle genius if this was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I saw something over Komica about how someone pictured Toradora should go after this... it being titled Toradora! ~After Story~

Spoiler for massive spoiler all around:
This seems like it would bring much more depressing elements of what life can really be like at times. These things Toradora underlined through much less and harsh events, and I don't really think the dark tone fits Toradora even if it was for a sequel.

Anyways I won't talk much more since I don't want to flat out mention whats in that spoiler tag. :P

Last edited by Naraku; 2009-03-27 at 09:36. Reason: Adding another reply.
Old 2009-03-27, 10:08   Link #336
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Here is the actual contents of the paper, I think according to the Taiwanese discussion board PTT.

Spoiler for I guess I should spoiler tag this...:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-03-27, 10:27   Link #337
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

No... just no. Sweet Jesus no.
Old 2009-03-27, 10:31   Link #338
rocket
Senior and Demented

I gave it a 10/10 (even though I thought the mid episode dragged a bit and I loathe speeches like Minorin's) due to the most epic kiss evah, and the super cute ending.

I really can't think of a better kiss... the animation, pacing, direction, the payoff for the character's story... Most of all the indirect playful sparring. It felt more like a 30's screwball romantic comedy than the type of cookie cutter romantic inevitability you usually get in anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDJR View Post
Id be curious to know the demographic of these "10/10" posts as far as age/amount of anime seen etc because I have a hard time understanding how someone could get so worked up over what I just watched.
Hmmm... I'm curious too.

According to MyAnimeList I've logged 1419.6 hours of anime (sadly I'm sure there's more than that under my belt that I didn't remember when I signedup), and I've been a definitive fan since the mid/late 80s. I'm also long out of high school and happily married for a long time.

Given the comments here, my theory is that Toradora is most appealing to the hopelessly romantic (guilty) and those of a nostalgic bend who are now out of their prime dating years.

In short, woobie-tsundere FTW!
Old 2009-03-27, 10:46   Link #339
Illuminati

That Toradora after story is soooo wrong. It really doesn't fit Toradora. This show really don't need to be Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien successor..

Plus the whole thing is like an Air TV remake..
Old 2009-03-27, 11:00   Link #340
brain
house music addict

One thing I cannot understand is those saying, "Poor Ryuuji! How could Taiga do this to him?" It was Ryuuji himself, right before the kiss, solidifying how much Taiga wanted to be his wife, telling her that he wanted everyone's approval. Taiga was absolutely shocked that he cared so much for her that he would let her attempt, fueled by him invoking self-confidence in her and the nurturing he gave her along with Minori and Ami and Kitamura, to truly reconcile the rifts in her family. She got a new goal in life, once she had achieved her first goal of finding the "it" they first talked about (renai).

Eloping was the solution to what was no longer a problem; confronting her family was something to be welcomed rather than avoided. Their true love was the constant in all of the changes that Taiga decided to make in her life to restore the lost sense of family in her own family. Whether two months or a year of separation, both of them I'm sure would have felt the pain equally, even if they may have met the acceptance of that temporary separation at different times.

According to the anime at least, the only thing that was certain about their presence or lack of communication during that time frame is that they had not met face to face very recently, as evidenced by Ryuuji's "You look a little bit taller!" comment. The thing about falling madly in love with someone is that nothing changes that, even if you go from virtually living together to living too many miles away to visit.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Closed Thread