AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-08-22, 14:42   Link #3621
Justin_Brett

Oh yeah, definitely. It was pretty much guaranteed as soon as they had a loli. Don't have to like it, though.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 15:08   Link #3622
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Oh yeah, definitely. It was pretty much guaranteed as soon as they had a loli. Don't have to like it, though.

Remember that shota Spile had to kill in the episode Sympathy for the Devil?

Man, I miss those times.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 15:33   Link #3623
Kuze

Had to nothing, Spike might not have done it gladly, but he did it willingly.

But that was bounty hunter galoza, where life was cheap. This is the series that has people willingly going along with the whims of children or trying their absolute hardest to accommodate their feelings.

Otherwise, we probably would've seen someone already tell Einhart to tell her honored ancestor to blow it out of his ass and leave her alone.
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 16:13   Link #3624
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Considering the circumstances, I'd say Spike had no choice but to kill the shota. Quite the sadistic shota he was.
Old 2011-08-22, 17:22   Link #3625
Justin_Brett

Can't really tell genetic memories to screw off, though. Maybe a hologram of him or something, ala White Devil of the Moon.
Old 2011-08-22, 18:12   Link #3626
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
And you know what? It WILL work, and you know why it will. Myself will mostly shake my head, because I am really in the same side as Tiresias, the sick and tired of the freudian excuse. On the level of sick and tired of seeing the Char expy, the kid falling in the cockpit, in almost every Gundam ever; of seeing almost every arcs in Index concluding with Touma's boring speeches + PUNCH, etc...
Oh I feel your pain...

Quote:
Pretty much the reason I didn't respond well to the appearance of the loli. Of course, when my mood is sour I sometimes think of Hansel and Gretel
Old 2011-08-22, 18:19   Link #3627
Justin_Brett

You know there's gonna be a scene, too, where a Raptor or whatever is about to shoot her in the face, and it's meant to be like, "Oh no, the heartless machine/sociopathic soldier is going to kill a child! How terrible!" Because pragmatism is bad.
Old 2011-08-22, 19:12   Link #3628
mechdra

Quote:
You know there's gonna be a scene, too, where a Raptor or whatever is about to shoot her in the face, and it's meant to be like, "Oh no, the heartless machine/sociopathic soldier is going to kill a child! How terrible!" Because pragmatism is bad.
Good, then there will be more than enough reason for civilians in Midchilda to do a protest, follow by a riot, then start destroying a city and loot everything in sight like the Orks. I guess some people might like that to happen.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 19:54   Link #3629
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Any excuse will basically come right the fuck out of nowhere at this point. Are they going to spend two years making them sympathetic, too?
You say that like there isn't already a reason to sympathise.

They've been forced to live a life where they must kill to survive, and living like that for so long eventually warped their personalities.

Have you ever seen the masterpiece that is Battle Royale?
Old 2011-08-22, 20:48   Link #3630
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post

They've been forced to live a life where they must kill to survive, and living like that for so long eventually warped their personalities.

That's why i say the Hucks would work better on their own story, Battle Royale worked for me because everyone in the setting is on more or less the same situation and is powerless to solve their troubles by other means than to be selfish and kill anyone else,a slo their antagonists are very unsympatethic people.

The Hucks have the prioblem of existing in the Nanohaverse and also being pitted against Nanoha and friends, which make their parole more difficult because they're against a setting most of us already taken for the "good side" also the Nanohaverse have more faith on heroism and justice(even with all the glimpses of corruptness and conspirations, at the end justice and righteousness prevails end we have our heroes kicking evil butts on spectacular battles and everyone is happy) than the storys you're comparing it with.

Take the Hucks for good or sympathetic means(to part of the fanbase) also admitting the characters we grow to love as heroes maybe aren't that noble or heroic, some people can do it, some people can't(and some more undergo a painfull process of acceptance xDU).

Wonder what are exatcly Tsuzuki's intended reception for these guys, he give us glimpses of them having at least interest for each other but as soon as we can star feeling something abut them he reutrnt them to being ruthless murderous jerks again. It's confusing. I'm suppossed to cheer for them or to hate their guts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
And you know what? It WILL work, and you know why it will. Myself will mostly shake my head, because I am really in the same side as Tiriesas, the sick and tired of the freudian excuse. On the level of sick and tired of seeing the Char expy, the kid falling in the cockpit, in almost every Gundam ever; of seeing almost every arcs in Index concluding with Touma's boring speeches + PUNCH, etc...
Amen bro, amen...

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 21:16   Link #3631
Justin_Brett

Quote:

Yeah, there's the thing, isn't it? Depending on how different their personalities are now and before, they could essentially be different characters now. Showing one of them as a cute little kid is pointless if you can't properly connect the dots.

And no, I haven't seen Battle Royale, although I've heard good things about it, but like Aki said, seems like it's a pretty different series from Nanoha, where not everyone is shades of gray to black. A similar situation with mages would be kind of interesting, but that's for the fanfiction topic.
Old 2011-08-22, 21:30   Link #3632
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I drew the comparison to show what people will do when under duress.

Fortis did say "You may resist with the mindset that murder is a crime. However, you'll get used to it. We did too."
Old 2011-08-22, 21:59   Link #3633
Justin_Brett

Well maybe it would have worked a lot better in Battle Royale. As it stands, that hasn't really been emphasized at all, so there certainly will be some kind of sob story for all of them.
Old 2011-08-22, 22:24   Link #3634
Kuze

Ask yourself: How much of that is what Fortis is saying and how much of it is the virus? Or better yet, where is the excluding line now?
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 00:17   Link #3635
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

Okay, so fully translated 15 available.

First thought: Okay, they don't have a working eclipse cure, and Tohma is not "going to be the first person to be treated," but is the first person they've known to have the virus effects forcibly reversed, courtesy of Lily. Also, Lily can release antigens? Interesting.

Second thought: Heavy implication in the scene-cut that the Hucks were hired by Caledfwlch. It's hardly legal proof, but I still feel like saying "I knew it."

Third: Kaleidowolf? Really? I thought way better of you, ZSS. Bone up on your Welsh mythos.

Arcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 00:26   Link #3636
Justin_Brett

I take it that line doesn't mean they have some other Infected person we haven't seen yet?
Old 2011-08-23, 00:26   Link #3637
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
Third: Kaleidowolf? Really? I thought way better of you, ZSS. Bone up on your Welsh mythos.
*winces* Talk about a botch. I went and commented on it, giving them the correction. Maybe they'll update?
Old 2011-08-23, 00:33   Link #3638
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I drew the comparison to show what people will do when under duress.

Fortis did say "You may resist with the mindset that murder is a crime. However, you'll get used to it. We did too."
Actually, that's an interesting way to put it. Normally, you would say that murder is wrong before you would say that it is a crime, if you're thinking of reasons not to do it. It makes it sound like Fortis's opinion is that Touma wouldn't want to murder just because he would then become a criminal, rather than because he doesn't want to hurt people. What does that say about her?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 00:38   Link #3639
Justin_Brett

Wait, so Touma not hearing or seeing anything properly was a function of the book? What the hell's the point of that? Heavily inhibiting the senses of your owner seems sort of contrary to the idea of a defense program.

Also I know this is nitpicking, but seriously, what was the artist doing with that next to last page? "Well, this makes the serious villain look kind of intimidating, so I better put in a little girl making a silly face so people won't get scared!"

Last edited by Justin_Brett; 2011-08-23 at 01:09.
Old 2011-08-23, 00:41   Link #3640
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Maybe the Book read Tohma's tought and considered him to be too soft for self-defense? ...he was trying to sacrifice himself after all xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga, nanoha force