AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 13 29.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 29.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 2.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.27%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-12, 14:02   Link #61
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I believe that this will be the best the show has to offer in terms of dramatic. The build up here with the flashback scenes, leading upto Welkin's breakdown isn't something that can easily be beaten. Then again i've no idea what they'll do with the source material from now until the end, though i'm almost certain.
the love confession if they don't fuck it up should be epic.
Old 2009-08-12, 16:12   Link #62
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Sigh I might actually buy a ps3 and play Valkyria Chronicles someday. Now I know she dies in the game too.
I did just wait for the slim version
Old 2009-08-12, 16:24   Link #63
RedWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
Um...what happened....in the end of the episode all of them were smiling. Ok for some there was a reason but for Welkin? Don't tell me he got over Isara's death when he cried once. That's just lame and shouldn't really be possible.
But oh well he got a hug cried a bit and he's all good to go O.o
I liked the emo Welkin.He was a great character in these two episodes.He should have stayed like that for at least another 2 or 3. It would have made the series more interesting since, honestly speaking, the last few episodes were the most interesting onse and they should have continued with that painful theme longer.

Come one all of them are fighting a war and killing people in the proces. Why are they smiling,for <insert word here>'s sake? The anime presents war as something that isn't really that bad. Infact you meet new pople, make friends and you could even find a lover. Like that makes sense... Thus I'll say it again - the story was at it's best in the last two episodes and should have coninued longer with the same setting while they were introducing other elements (like Alicia being a Valkyria) and giving characters a way to develop more and decide what is important for them right now and who they need to protect. This would have provided a nice way of moving on form the emo theme gradually and it would have made much more sense and appealed to more viewers IMO
I agree 100%. The recent morbid tone in the episodes has been much better. Even watching this episode I'm looking at how many people they are killing. People with homes, family and friends like Isara did. Not a single word from anyone about it. Not inner monologue about the insanity of war, or reflection over the necessity of their actions, but instead laughing and smiling over the the amount of kills they get.
Old 2009-08-12, 17:02   Link #64
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Sigh I might actually buy a ps3 and play Valkyria Chronicles someday. Now I know she dies in the game too.
Must've not read the topics for the last two episodes. It was mentioned a lot.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-12, 17:07   Link #65
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Must've not read the topics for the last two episodes. It was mentioned a lot.
The ones that I've seen are usually in spoiler tags when comparing to the game and I figure that's why this thread was made. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=84020 . I usually skim through posts that contains spoilers pretty well but sometimes it catches me. Seems like most fans here have already played the video game except for me /cry
Old 2009-08-12, 18:37   Link #66
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
The ones that I've seen are usually in spoiler tags when comparing to the game and I figure that's why this thread was made. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=84020 . I usually skim through posts that contains spoilers pretty well but sometimes it catches me. Seems like most fans here have already played the video game except for me /cry
He. Why do you think before episode 17 aired we were all going "Mulberry Shore!!" in our posts, with bold letters and multiple exclamation points. Not because of the Normandy landing ripoff battle, but because we knew Isara would buy the farm at the end. It's an important part of the storyline (and we were all wondering if the animation crew would have the guts to go along with it).

By the way, right now we're going "Naggiar Plains!!!" (with bold letters and multiple exclamation points)
Old 2009-08-12, 19:23   Link #67
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
Um...what happened....in the end of the episode all of them were smiling. Ok for some there was a reason but for Welkin? Don't tell me he got over Isara's death when he cried once. That's just lame and shouldn't really be possible.
But oh well he got a hug cried a bit and he's all good to go O.o
I liked the emo Welkin.He was a great character in these two episodes.He should have stayed like that for at least another 2 or 3. It would have made the series more interesting since, honestly speaking, the last few episodes were the most interesting onse and they should have continued with that painful theme longer.
Contrary to most people here, I would have loved to see the harsh side of Welkin in this series. If you have lost your only family member to an enemy soldier, a normal person would be depressed for quite a long time. Heck, I had a friend who lost his best friend to war and he was depressed for like two months before I got him out of his depression. If Welkin would have shown his anger just once, that would change my opinion on Welkin completely, especially since what Alicia was doing didn't help Welkin's situation one bit either.
Old 2009-08-12, 19:32   Link #68
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post

By the way, right now we're going "Naggiar Plains!!!" (with bold letters and multiple exclamation points)
Yes! So Selvaria kills Fabio next!
Old 2009-08-12, 22:47   Link #69
JagdPanther

Quote:
Yes! So Selvaria kills Fabio next!
Oh God. I wish. PLEASE?

Old 2009-08-13, 03:05   Link #70
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Contrary to most people here, I would have loved to see the harsh side of Welkin in this series. If you have lost your only family member to an enemy soldier, a normal person would be depressed for quite a long time. Heck, I had a friend who lost his best friend to war and he was depressed for like two months before I got him out of his depression. If Welkin would have shown his anger just once, that would change my opinion on Welkin completely, especially since what Alicia was doing didn't help Welkin's situation one bit either.
Well, I think Welkin was plenty harsh through the last few episodes. It makes perfect sense as to why and the juxtaposition between his usual cheerfulness and the robotic coldness was nice to watch.

And man, did Welkin cry up a big one in this ep. It felt like a real cry.
Old 2009-08-13, 05:51   Link #71
Father Hentai

Quote:
There are many possibilities how someone reacts on a loss of a family relative. In Welkins case he was for about 2 episodes under jolt where you ask yourself if his decisions are made out of logic military logic or out of atonement for the loss of his sister. My belief is that he was under shock until he was in his families residence and where he breaked the shock barrier and let his emotions out. It's quite better that he did it here rather than in front of his or Gallian soldiers.

There are a lot of things that tells about Welkin:
- father-son-complex. Welkin never wanted to like his father but realizes that he has more inherited of his fathers character than he wished for. Seems like a tragedy has repeated (death of his mother?)
- Welkin was such a sympathic airhead already as child.
Old 2009-08-13, 12:07   Link #72
Joe_fh

Quote:
Yes I agree with that.As I said the should have continued with that dark theme longer and developed the characters while they were expiriencing hardships.And not only Welkin,that could have helped develo Alicia's character quite a bit as well since they could have showed her strugle with her feelings and her obligations (that of course goes for Welkin as well)

And even if he borke the emotional barier you don't just go smiling right off the bat.Oh no,that's just the first step and it's the smallest one.It takes a lot of time to shake that feeling off.As I said before there were many possibilites to go with and they chose the worst one.
Old 2009-08-13, 15:45   Link #73
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And even if he borke the emotional barier you don't just go smiling right off the bat.Oh no,that's just the first step and it's the smallest one.It takes a lot of time to shake that feeling off.As I said before there were many possibilites to go with and they chose the worst one.
Which reminds me, how come we haven't seen a single timeskip in this series? The timeskip could allow the audience to see how Welkin was dealing with his sister's death for a certain period of time.
Old 2009-08-13, 17:51   Link #74
kalbron

Because it's a war between a major power and a minor one? There's not really spare time for a timeskip.

Of course, they barely show the war aspect at all, so it's understandable that you'd forget that part of the anime.
Old 2009-08-13, 18:19   Link #75
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Because it's a war between a major power and a minor one? There's not really spare time for a timeskip.

Of course, they barely show the war aspect at all, so it's understandable that you'd forget that part of the anime.
War? What war? I always keep forgetting that there is a war going on. Its a little bit sad when the one thing that reminds about war the most are not battles or plot, but uniforms.
Old 2009-08-13, 18:30   Link #76
JagdPanther

What are you talking about? There have already been time skips.

Old 2009-08-13, 19:59   Link #77
Sassarai
Army of One

Feels like some fans want this anime to be as realistic as Grave of Fireflies but they should of known it wasn't after a couple of eps into it. I mean you got some female shooting big ol fireballs in the air wipping out 3 tanks and some buildings. Sure love can blossom in the battlefield, soliders can smile after a victory, Welkin can get over his mopping around after letting it all out, etc. It doesn't seem too unlrealistic to me at all.

p.s Fabio seems unrealistic to me and needs to die!
Old 2009-08-14, 02:06   Link #78
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
What are you talking about? There have already been time skips.
I think they were refering to montages maybe? Dunno.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:26   Link #79
Father Hentai

Quote:
Which reminds me, how come we haven't seen a single timeskip in this series? The timeskip could allow the audience to see how Welkin was dealing with his sister's death for a certain period of time.
There was a timeskip announced. I think it was from the funeral about 3 weeks after Isaras death in episode 18 and how the mood was in Squad 7.
Old 2009-08-14, 12:28   Link #80
Joe_fh

Timeskips meaning skpiping weeks or days while something is happening. Not while nothing is going on. (since nothing is really happening they don't show us that...or in some cases *cough* Haruhi s2 *cough* they do a couple of times).
So yes they did make a few timeskips between battles.In fact at the end of every battle but that was because there was nothing interesting.Oh and during the time they are travelling from one place to another but that doesn't seem to take a lot of time since they mostly travel on foot.

Basically I think Death Header meant timeskips that showed Welkin depressed over time since well he got over his sister's death in what 2-3 days after they got back? If they ain't gonna show us the things I mentioned before they could have made a time skip and clearly show it was one. That way Welkin's depression would have been more realistic.Not enough but it would have been better.

There was a timeskip after Isara died but it was so they could get back to their base.It wasn't stated how long it took but I highly doubt it was 3 weeks.Maybe I didn't pay attention though

Quote:
Sure love can blossom in the battlefield, soliders can smile after a victory, Welkin can get over his mopping around after letting it all out, etc. It doesn't seem too unlrealistic to me at all.

p.s Fabio seems unrealistic to me and needs to die!
Of course soldiers smile after a vicotry on many ocassions. However you wouldn't smile if one of your friends died don't you think? That is if you care about your friends. Love can blossom anywhere but that rarely happens especially during times of war. Or maybe that's because there weren't any male foot soldiers aroun...But I doubt you'll be thinking about love while killing people. That's a bit unrealistic. That's why you hear about the horrors of war and stuff like that from veterans - because it really is horrible seing people get blow to bits,dying, screaming for help,and scenes like that.You can't really go smiling happily after a scene like that.

And after you lose a family member you can't move on that fast.You let it out times and times again but that doesn't hel that much (persoanl expirience speaking) And we know that this was Welkin's last family member so it was really though on him.

As I said before if the situation got really intense in a battle or something he might have come to his senses ( or go completely emo) since he'll see his comrades dying and he wouldn' want that to happen thus he'll act.And if he succeed he'll have realised what is important to him now.

And I didn't expect it to be a serious anime but they could have made it a bit more realistic in terms of character development and the way they act.

I agree that Faldio is annoying and unrealstic character though XD
Closed Thread