AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-06, 08:01   Link #21
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I really liked that part also. At first when she went ballistic I was like, "Oh god! Here she goes again with an irrational emotional outburst." Then she started to explain herself. When she talked about how incredible that the coffin would have come back to earth (and what it should mean) she actually had me taking her seriously. A miracle shouldn't be taken lightly. Even though it could have been happenstance, I still have to say, "Wow" when something like that happens.
I was very touched...

Anyway, just realized ep 4 is out... its download time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmackenz
Another great thing about this show is the examination of the omnipresent/ultrapervasive corporate culture, especially from the view of the "janitorial" staff who are treated like a hindrence by the rest of the company and yet are most important part as evidently no company can do business in space on this show.
Agreed. If anyone reads Weis's Dungeons and Dragons series, you will know that the smallest things can make the biggest difference(think Tas). Right here, our smallest things are the space trash?
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 10:04   Link #22
Danny Boy

Well, I think Tanabe is too annoying. Especially in episode three when she tried to comandeer the junk thay they're supposed to throw away.

But I don't that's enough to say that the series sucks. I think the characters are offbeat and quirky yet I can identify myself with their situations and feelings, and the stories very engaging, though mundane. I'm not the first to see the resemblance with Patlabor, one of my favorite anime shows.

Wish Tanabe wouldn't be so annoying and naive, but I'm still loving the series nonetheless. Mabye she'll grow up, while at the same time rub off her enthusiasm with "diaper boy."
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 11:08   Link #23
musouka

Quote:
What's up with the flaming? I'm/We're not forcing anyone to not watch the anime, I'm merely voicing my opinion on the anime along with other people just as you are. That's what a discussion forum is for isn't it? I don't see any "no criticizing an anime" rule so I'll criticize it if I want to. If you don't like it, DONT look/reply in my post! How's that?
If you have a right to sit there and bitch, I have a right to sit there and bitch right back. It's that simple.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 12:34   Link #24
cf18
Mecha Pilot

I like it too, one of the few shows this season that has potential to become a classic. The first few episodes are no where as cool and dramatic as the manga vol1 though. I guess they are saving the best stuff for later episode.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 14:18   Link #25
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby
What were they thinking when they decided to put that annoying ass girl, Tanabe, in the anime?! OMG I can't stand her! The girl is so damn annoying, I wish someone would just cut her cord and let her float off into outer space or fry in the atmosphere! The first episode was pretty funny and I thought it had potential but after episode 1, it was BORING and just plain ANNOYING!

*EDITED* Damn I gotta sit through another 2 episode because I downloaded them in a batch. Gonna annoy myself to death!
If you dont like it don't watch it
Tanabe is actually cool, her characters is awesome.
The quality of this anime is very high imho, Sunrise at it's finest.
I like this anime, Cause its a wonderful experience every episode.
I have a appreciation of the beauty that this series presents to me, And every minute is full of moments, Where you can just sit back an experience what happends and feel satisfied.
This is a brilliant anime, That i can recomend to everyone out there.
Dosen't matter what age you are, You can enjoy it just as much.

To those of you who have not seen it yet.
It is the year 2075.
In a world where travelling in space has become a everyday thing.
Its about Tanabe a teenage girl, Who has received a jobb as a astronaut in the debri section.
"Debris section collects space debris, Cause Space debris is a serious matter and can cause serious accident's if they colide with a space ship."
Its about her work colleague's and the space station, That she and her friends left earth to work on.
This anime presents many morale questions, And questions about life etc.
And it's also about people working hard to achieve their dream's.

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 22:16   Link #26
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Well, I think this anime makes a refreshing change from the non stop action/horror series that seem to dominate the scene and am really enjoying it at the moment.
It's interesting (and also a little amusing) to see life in space being portrayed so realistically (No sound in space, low gravity working environments etc).
The anime also does touch some very thoughtful subject matter too, and the characters are a diverse bunch yet to be played out. As this is a 26 episode series I'm sure we'll see some good character development along the way. I quite enjoy Tanabe's diatribe's she may be slightly naive, but her heart is in the right place, the perfect rookie .
Its highly plausible that mankind's eventual steps into further development in space will be driven by large corporations who may look to monopolise the natural resources available on other worlds or the asteroid belt, and there is even the possibility of a leisure travel market's existence.
The multi-nationals alone, apart from the very richest nations will have the resources and capital available to drive such efforts but how quickly will we see such advancements? Simplifying things I think this comes down to two main points:

- When will it become economically viable for such companies? (and this itself will be dependant on technological advancements)

- Is there a demand for such development?

Being that we live on a world with finite resources and constant technological discoveries you can expect that someday (sooner rather than later, at our current rate) there will be considerably more interest in space exploration than there is today.

Thats why I think I enjoy watching this series so much, its set not too far ahead in the future and it shows a believable world with "real life" characters performing a normal but essential job. This makes it a lot easier to empathise with the characters lives and actions IMHO.

Anyhow, rather like the show itself I'm gonna wrap my thoughts up here in a nice mellow fashion............
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 22:29   Link #27
chibikit
Lowly A-Kingdom flunkie

I kind of identify with Tanabe, actually. She's the idealist in a world where pragmatism takes precedence. I understand why she always goes ballistic when Hachimaki (or other people, for that matter) do things that go against her principles - she doesn't want to believe that the world can be that cruel, and really honestly believes that everyone can be better if they just try. More than that, she actually takes action once in a while (with the whole Ibn Fadlan thing, which was a really beautiful story, if I may say so). Sure, people like her can be annoying sometimes, but it's really refreshing to look at an environment as dangerous as space (and life) through eyes like hers.

Regardless of how 'realistic' you think it is, PlanetES is simply a story about the characters in it and just goes to show that humanity doesn't really change all that much, even if our technology makes incredible leaps and bounds. The technology, the plausibility, the realism of how dangerous space is; that's all just to serve as the story's backdrop - it doesn't matter. You could put the entire Half Division in the ocean depths a la The Abyss, or on an oil rig somewhere and it'll still work (though admittedly not as effectively in the latter case). That's the whole thrust of it, right there, and I think it should be watched with that in mind.

Thanks for listening to the 2 cents of a newcomer to the forum. ^_^
chibikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 22:53   Link #28
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki-
Its about Tanabe a teenage girl, Who has received a jobb as a astronaut in the debri section.
Tanabe is 20 years old... So she's not really a teenageer anymore...
Old 2003-11-07, 02:50   Link #29
Amok
(ey'mok)

Not everyone will like the same thing, not everyone views anime the exact same way... that's why we should be grateful that there is so much variety to choose from. I just so happen to enjoy Planetes, yet I didn't even make it through the first episode of Cromartie High before I deleted it.

Heck, I even like Avenger. /ducks
Amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 05:24   Link #30
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Tanabe is 20 years old... So she's not really a teenageer anymore...
lol dont be picky im 20 and still feel like a teenageer

Btw "Braces for impact" I like Avenger to xD
Old 2003-11-07, 05:47   Link #31
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I find Planet ES pretty boring even though I know this one of those slice of life animes, but I always download the next episode when it comes out on bt. Maybe i download it cus i already started watching it who knows.

Oh yeah i happened to like Avenger also, Prolly because Layla Ashley really interest me. Me thinks she really an kick ass chick.
Old 2003-11-07, 11:16   Link #32
Anax
Animefactory Encoder

Thumbs up

Another fan of the series here--it doesn't have a huge plot, and if they can add one, I'll be somewhat surprised (although I think it's possible)--but it does have a lot of heart. It also reminds me of Patlabor somewhat, as far as drama-and-characterization-over-plot goes. Hmm. Let's see. The big reason I like this, I think, is that it's not just another SF series with the same old themes, but rather a drama series with a fairly hard SF setting. (Hard SF? Yes--we actually see space described in fairly realistic ways, although the fine points of orbital mechanics are hand-waved away.) It's the hard SF aspect that really pulled me in, though, like the British SF series Star Cops, which is basically a cop show with a hard SF setting, most of the action occuring in the Earth-Moon system, and many of the episodes focusing on action that is actually impacted by the realities of space.

Anyway, have to see where things go. A relaxed series, but a very good different thing to see.

Oh, and finally: It's not "PlanetES", it's "planetes", which is an old Greek word meaning "wanderers" (as you can see during the eyecatch). This gave us our modern word "planets"--it was originally attached to the planets as being stars that wandered, unlike the majority which were "fixed" in the heavens.
Anax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 12:10   Link #33
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
I find Planet ES pretty boring even though I know this one of those slice of life animes, but I always download the next episode when it comes out on bt. Maybe i download it cus i already started watching it who knows.

Oh yeah i happened to like Avenger also, Prolly because Layla Ashley really interest me. Me thinks she really an kick ass chick.

Well thats maybe cause the reason i say "It's a Experience watching it."
And the doll interests me more then Layla in Avenger and the music is great :>
Not to forget the music in PlanetES who is nice to :>
Old 2003-11-07, 12:13   Link #34
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
But I don't that's enough to say that the series sucks. I think the characters are offbeat and quirky yet I can identify myself with their situations and feelings, and the stories very engaging, though mundane. I'm not the first to see the resemblance with Patlabor, one of my favorite anime shows.
Yup, it resembles YUA too...
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 14:50   Link #35
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Don't download anime by rote... it sounds like you're a drug addict or something.
Old 2003-11-07, 15:59   Link #36
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, as of today, I have officially dropped this series. Saw the first three episodes and it just didn't seem to go much of anywhere or take off or anything. It was kind of neat to watch for the sci-fi element, but that died perty quickly as well which left you with nothing really interesting to keep your attention. Bummer too, cause it could have been a neat anime.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 19:23   Link #37
Acespeedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Well, as of today, I have officially dropped this series. Saw the first three episodes and it just didn't seem to go much of anywhere or take off or anything. It was kind of neat to watch for the sci-fi element, but that died perty quickly as well which left you with nothing really interesting to keep your attention. Bummer too, cause it could have been a neat anime.
Bummer too because it still may be a neat anime later on. Watch three eps and say whoop thats it, give it a chance. But if it still doesn't float your boat then ok, fine I do this sometimes too I suppose.
Acespeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 20:45   Link #38
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

I usually follow a "three episode rule", never judge by a first episode - they're often deceptive. Maybe because they have to spend so much time just laying out the basic premise. However if I still hate it by #3, then it's on to greener Anime pastures. Maybe I'll miss a show that's slow out of the gate, but with so many series out now, sacrifices have to be made!

That being said - so far I like Planetes! I'll agree though Tanabe could sometimes use a good ol' slap upside the head though Still blind idealism is the birthright of every newbie! I do kind of wonder if the show will always rescue her from her moral rants (where she always winds up in the right) or if it'll have the courage have her be tragically wrong at some point?
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 23:58   Link #39
Aquillion

Well, I guess it takes all types--perhaps I have a low tolerance for annoying characters. On the other hand, to those of you who said you liked Avenger: You are history's greatest monsters!

(Actually, I watch it, too, and I suppose I sort of like it. Layla is boooring with her I'm-so-baddass-I-don't-have-to-have-a-character shtick, and Speedy is a generic postmodern RPG hero; also the setting is contrived and the plot is patched together out of numerous random sci-fi sources to allow as much random, pointless fighting as possible. But for some reason I don't mind, so I have no right to criticize PlanetES.)
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 00:35   Link #40
bwaugh

Send a message via AIM to bwaugh
Poor Tanabe. No one seems to like her character much. But I must say she's the image of my ideal woman. Righteous anger, I love it.

This is my favorite new series, for many of the same reasons mentioned by others---it's a refreshing break from the robots, magicians, ninjas and world-saving teens. I just hope that the rest of the episodes won't be as theme-oriented as episode three...you know, where they talk about a particular theme throughout the first half of the show, and then in the second half they stumble upon something that comments perfectly on what the first half was all about. For me, that really dampens the reality of the series.

And I hope the series develops some sort of story arc. Not just a romance, but something more active that would give viewers more reason to tune in to the next show.

Well, must get back to downloading episode four.
bwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote