AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-05-16, 17:53   Link #1
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Did you download windows service pack 3?

I have an HP and so does my friend, he downloaded service pack 3 and encoutered this problem.

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

I don't think I'm going to download it yet because of this. is anyone else experiencing problems?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 23:24   Link #2
sa547
*Author

Downloaded it but will not install SP3 yet for now because there's no testbed to try it. Besides, the guys assembled the Vista Transformation Pack said there are also some compatibility issues in SP3 with their pack (as the VTP includes altering the system files to change XP's looks to Vista).
Old 2008-05-17, 05:49   Link #3
jpwong

I didn't realize it at the time, but after installing XP SP3, I got the c0000218 error (Software registry hive is corrupted).

I don't know if it was specifically SP3 related, but it happenned shortly after I installed the update.

It's not the same problem, since I was not able to boot in any mode without BSOD, but it has similarities.

At this point, my computer does not think it has SP3 installed, and I'm somewhat leery of attempting an install again.
Old 2008-05-17, 08:07   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
They actually do suggest that for some systems with AMD processors you use the CD image of SP3 instead of the download from windows update (I have been monitoring this on other forums).

I already have SP3 installed (and I have a AMD processor) via the CD image and apart from my computer booting a bit slower for a few days after the install everything seems to be fine.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 00:23   Link #5
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Yes. Several restarts later, it seems to be working fine. The first machine I've put it on is an AMD based one as well, using the method demonix outlined (Windows Update was giving me a hard time).
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 01:42   Link #6
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
No problems here. I used the network installation package.
AOforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 08:23   Link #7
Farix

I had to reinstall my entire system just a couple of days a go and use SP3 instead of downloading all of those updates. So far, I haven't encountered any problems.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 10:57   Link #8
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I'm sort of in the same position as Farix. I have probably been working a day or two. So far it's quite stable. And i don't even notice any difference between SP2 and SP3. Don't notice any performance increase. But no decrease either. So i guess i shouldn't complain

Got SP3 from Microsoft's website.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 21:48   Link #9
sa547
*Author

Installed SP3 on a client's machine (which was XP Pro SP2 RC full of beta files) without a hitch. Watching the installation procedure, the difference between SP3 and the previous SPs is that SP3 no longer apparently includes the validation check.
Old 2008-05-21, 04:05   Link #10
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

My boss installed SP3 in his computer and he kept getting crashes.

One of my workmates installed SP3 in a client's laptop, and Trend Micro PC Cillin CPU usage went straight up to 100% which ends up slowing the whole computer down.

When I install SP3 on a clean install of Windows (either for new PCs or reformat HDD), there is no problem.

So I guess it's better to create a restore point first before installing SP3 in case anything screws up. As for myself, I have no plan on installing SP3.
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 07:53   Link #11
jpwong

I think windows creates one automatically before it actually installs. It does indicate that SP3 is removable if you want to take it back off.
Old 2008-05-26, 08:13   Link #12
Tiberium Wolf

So I assume it's pointless to install SP3 ?

Currently everything is working fine in system(XP SP2). If the system is working right then I don't touch it unless I really need it.
Old 2008-05-26, 13:33   Link #13
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I slipstreamed it and installed it into a virtual machine - no problems. I then installed it onto a formatted older Centrino laptop that I had lying around - no problems. My primary Windows virtual machine is still an XP SP2 though. If my main computer were running Windows XP SP2 and I had no idea way to reimaging it or recovering it if something bad happened, I'd be avoiding SP3 right now.
Old 2008-05-28, 03:24   Link #14
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Does anyone have any idea why there are so many problems with SP3?

Is it because of bad third-party coding practices? Or did Microsoft screw up big time?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 12:03   Link #15
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
The problems are mainly third party since most computer manufacturers use near identical images for both processor manufacturers which is why those pre-built systems that have AMD processors have had problems with installing SP3 from windows updates (which is why it has been suggested that those should use the disc image version and not the windows update version)
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 15:31   Link #16
alamarco
Why hello there!

The biggest reason SP3 has succeeded is because there wasn't any major changes like SP2 incorporated. One of SP3's main point is combing all the previous updates into one package. Unless one needs to do a clean install I'd wait for SP3. No harm done and no big loss.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 04:51   Link #17
noin
Kaizoku

Send a message via MSN to noin
Updated 2 of my XP computers that I have to SP3 yesterday. Both are Intel machines so everything went smooth and fast.
noin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 10:55   Link #18
Tiberium Wolf

Just 1 question. If I have XP SP2 with updates always on day so that means it has all the stuff in SP3 ?
Old 2008-05-31, 11:23   Link #19
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Here's an extensive list of the changes in Service Pack 3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/
There's also a forum on the Microsoft website which may help with some problems: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17
Old 2008-05-31, 14:31   Link #20
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Just 1 question. If I have XP SP2 with updates always on day so that means it has all the stuff in SP3 ?
No. SP3 is more than just an update roll-up.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service pack, service pack 3, sp3, windows