AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 26 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 43.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-29, 23:06   Link #61
krln99

Sailorfuku to Kikanjuu is actually a pretty popular series in Japanese TV history. It's probably the progenitor of the billion-and-one yazkuza/ex-yakuza going to HS as a student or teacher, etc.

It centers on a HS girl who was the daughter of a yakuza boss and takes over the family business while maintaining her "normal" life as a HS girl. I think it suits Kagami's "model student" exterior masking her competitiveness and psycho outbursts.
Old 2007-04-29, 23:12   Link #62
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
Sailorfuku to Kikanjuu is actually a pretty popular series in Japanese TV history. It's probably the progenitor of the billion-and-one yazkuza/ex-yakuza going to HS as a student or teacher, etc.

It centers on a HS girl who was the daughter of a yakuza boss and takes over the family business while maintaining her "normal" life as a HS girl. I think it suits Kagami's "model student" exterior masking her competitiveness and psycho outbursts.
Is there any english subtitled DVD out there? I hear there are two versions; if true, which one is the best? Thanks.

I'm really curious about it because of the plot outline .
Old 2007-04-29, 23:13   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I sincerely hope not. I wasn't fond of this "director-change" fiasco, more so with the "not yet ready" demeaning comment, but if it's solely to make a joke at the Gainax affair, it's really a little too much even for a joke. Sure, Gainax has it's share of self-blame for shooting out towards their own market audience, but considering what came about from the Gainax controversy, really...it shouldn't be mentioned again, much less made a joke off. Kyoto Animation must be really insensitive if they did that.
Yet even if it is the case, I bet it would all blow over without any reprecussions from 2chan or blog posters. They'd probably spin it so it was somehow funny, because Kyoto Animation is immune to criticism and is god. If it is supposed to be a "joke" and it does backfire, I would actually be quite surprised.

Though in my case I would have zero respect for them for the forseeable future barring a formal apology and would drop this series and boycott all future works in protest.

The question now is if Kyoto Animation "Wants To Be Startin' Somethin' ".

The layers on this just keep adding up. The follow-up is definitely going to be one for the books.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-29 at 23:33.
Old 2007-04-29, 23:53   Link #64
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Though in my case I would have zero respect for them for the forseeable future barring a formal apology and would drop this series and boycott all future works in protest.
I really didn't want to bring this up, but you just kept saying this over and over...

How much respect do you actually have for KyoAni to begin with? Last I checked, you have either suspected or accused them of every sin in the corporate world whenever possible. It just sounds like a hollow threat...

Oh, and unless you were planning to buy their merchandise or dvds, do be clear that your supposed "protest" by stop watching fansubs means nothing. In fact, it would be for the better if you drop the series right now and give all our ears a rest.
Old 2007-04-30, 00:00   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm having trouble even wondering what is being talked about at this point. We don't really have any verification of a director change nor do we know that a transfer of directors wasn't planned from the beginning. There's some counter-noise. Many series go through more than one director.

Now I wouldn't put it past *anyone* to poke a bit at what was a really stupid-silly incident over at Gainax.

The series is what the series is....
Old 2007-04-30, 00:20   Link #66
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yeah, my hack idea is clutching at straws, all right. Although I'm not sure why the timing is wrong.
Well, maybe I should say, the timing for a joke/actual announcement was more right. It appeared soon after the episode aired. Also, with something as "news worthy" as this, unless they are all on vacation in Okinawa(?), they would have been able to remove it if it wasn't supposed to be there immediately.

(Yes, that is meant to be a reference to the same episode of death note as in ep 4.)
Old 2007-04-30, 00:34   Link #67
krln99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Is there any english subtitled DVD out there? I hear there are two versions; if true, which one is the best? Thanks.

I'm really curious about it because of the plot outline .
There are 2 versions. The 1981 original and the 2006 remake. I've only seen parts of the 2nd, but it really didn't catch my fancy, because like I said, see one yakuza/HS mashup and you've seen them all. Your best bet would be DLing the series on a place like www.d-addicts.com

Here's an exact link:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torre...View+all&sort=

About the whole director brouhaha. My take is, "Big f'n deal." Now if the quality of the series slips, THEN we can start gnashing teeth, throwing chairs, etc. I bet the series is pretty much written and story-boarded through the end, so I think the machine is still good-to-go. If the quality doesn't drop, I could care less who's getting credit for it.
Old 2007-04-30, 00:57   Link #68
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I really didn't want to bring this up, but you just kept saying this over and over...

How much respect do you actually have for KyoAni to begin with? Last I checked, you have either suspected or accused them of every sin in the corporate world whenever possible. It just sounds like a hollow threat...

Oh, and unless you were planning to buy their merchandise or dvds, do be clear that your supposed "protest" by stop watching fansubs means nothing. In fact, it would be for the better if you drop the series right now and give all our ears a rest.
Just wait and see what happens. I'm only speculating. At this point the statement is probably true and they are switching directors.

The answer to your question is I would not support or associate myself in any way with a company that did such a thing. It has nothing to do with my criticisms of Kyoto Animation, but with my belief in civility and respect in the public domain. These companies take it upon themselves to uphold a certain level of respectful and honest conduct when doing business and it should be reflected in their actions. That's how it is. It has nothing to do with empty threats or trying to punish the company, but with me being able to know that I have upheld my own firm beliefs.

For now I will do as you say and let it pan out however as I have been taking it a bit too far without knowing the truth of the matter. Right now I'm mostly posturing as you say, but if the time does come (God willing it won't) I will hold my word.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-30 at 01:07.
Old 2007-04-30, 02:13   Link #69
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
kj1980, am I right in thinking that the announcement on the KyoAni site says that Yamamoto "hasn't reached the level of director yet"? This is the main thing that makes me think it's bogus.
Spoiler for Japanese text of supposed KyoAni announcement:
I believe it isn't bogus. There are Japanese overtones that need to be taken into consideration.

Written: "We [Kyoto Animation] decided that Director Yamamoto hasn't reached the capacity to direct yet"

Hidden overtone that I feel (of course, it could be wrong): "Director Yamamoto came to us and after a lengthy discussion he asked to be taken off the position as a director of the pressure and that he had much more to learn"

Rationale: Falling under pressure is shown as a weakness in Japanese society. Hence rather putting the blame on one person, the company takes its place and euphemizes the wording that a staff change is being made.

Being an animator is one thing, being a director is another. Just because you can make (draw) anime doesn't mean you can make (direct) one. Becoming a director includes whole different level of responsibility - one that includes being and coordinating schedules, overseeing the progress of the series in its entireity, keeping within acceptable limits of the budget, and being one of the members to appease to the shows' sponsors. Seeing his track records, the closest relevant job description is being an 演出 (unit director) who directs and oversees the progress of the anime from the storyboard process. He may have the ability to do some of the responsibilities of a director, but perhaps he may not have had much experience when it comes to budget and making outside communication with sponsors and the like?

Well, that's my speculation so I could be off by 180 degrees.

Last edited by kj1980; 2007-04-30 at 03:40.
Old 2007-04-30, 02:28   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
I believe it isn't bogus. There are Japanese overtones that need to be taken into consideration.

Written: "We [Kyoto Animation] decided that Director Yamamoto hasn't reached the capacity to direct yet"

Hidden overtone that I feel (of course, it could be wrong): "Director Yamamoto came to us and after a lengthy discussion he asked to be taken off the position as a director of the pressure and that he had much more to learn"

Rationale: Falling under pressure is shown as a weakness in Japanese society. Hence rather putting the blame on one person, the company takes its place an euphemizes the wording that a staff change is being made.

Being an animator is one thing, being a director is another. Just because you can make (draw) anime doesn't mean you can make (direct) one. Becoming a director includes whole different level of responsibility - one that includes being and coordinating schedules, overseeing the progress of the series in its entireity, keeping within acceptable limits of the budget, and being one of the members to appease to the shows' sponsors. Seeing his track records, the closest relevant job description is being an 演出 (unit director) who directs and oversees the progress of the anime from the storyboard process. He may have the ability to do some of the responsibilities of a director, but perhaps he may not have had much experience when it comes to budget and making outside communication with sponsors and the like?

Well, that's my speculation so I could be off by 180 degrees.
Ohhhh.... The translation I got was "Has reached his limits", which seemed kind of like a humiliating statement. Your interpretation makes it seem more like the company has taken the burden of fault off of Yasuhiro and stated, "We made a mistake, Yasuhiro is not the director we have in mind for the series after all. We put him in the chair too early and apologize". I have heard of the importance of saving face in Japanese business culture (An infamous example is what Nintendo did to Gunpei Yokoi after the Virtual Boy fiasco. They kept him visibly on staff, but didn't allow him to make any more important decisions or didn't take his recommendations into consideration. Essentially what this did was make it look as if nothing had gone exceptionally wrong externally and allow him to save face. In reality however, Yokoi was devasted by the failure of the Virtual Boy and people at Nintendo had lost faith in him. He was finished as far as his career with Nintendo was concerned.) and this interpretation seems more in line with the traditional practice rather than trying to pin the blame on him like I interpreted it. A company as a whole can absorb more damage than a single person essentially.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-30 at 02:38.
Old 2007-04-30, 03:17   Link #71
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

>>kj1980: Thanks for that fascinating thesis. Seems very possible, the way you say it. Makes me see how that press release might not be the slap in the face I thought it was. It was as if they were saying: "He is an important young member of our family, and we don't want to rush his progress." And it gives me hope that he can keep directing OP/EDs and episodes and doing storyboards for KyoAni productions, all of which he seems to be very good at. He created the SHnY ED, after all. But directing a show is like being the administrator responsible, as well as a creator. Maybe he's not cut out for that, and maybe he will be when he learns more. I think he's done well with Lucky Star, artistically.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-30 at 03:29.
Old 2007-04-30, 03:31   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

kj1980: sounds much more like a professional situation that I'd expect from a company than some juvenile drama-fest. Thanks for the subtle clarification in translation.

I thought his product was doing nicely (1st few episodes) - if the criteria is "does it reflect the source material well" then he passed that criteria easily.
Old 2007-04-30, 03:46   Link #73
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I have this strange feeling that even though the style and spirit of the series is obviously going to remain the same, peoples perceptions of it are going to wildly flucuate suddenly as of episode 5. I can almost see peoples comments on blogs being all over the place with "UGH It sucks now, they ruined it" or "Wow it's so much better now with a new director". I can hardly wait for the new drama to begin. Oh Joy!

Seriously though, I can't really see much changing. It's still going to be a 4Koma, Konata will still be the Lucky Star, they'll still be making fun of Miyuki for being nothing but a poster girl for Moe and they'll still be referencing games and old anime. Ultimately, I bet the pressure just got to him and he didn't think he could handle it like KJ said.
Old 2007-04-30, 03:47   Link #74
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Spoiler for another reference:

Spoiler for book reference:
Old 2007-04-30, 04:18   Link #75
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Woland, I am guessing it is the original novella.
Old 2007-04-30, 05:22   Link #76
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

In the case of the Virtual Boy though Gunpei wasn't directly at fault. It's a great machine, and was/is far ahead of its time. It was the lack of support Nintendo had when it came to pushing the product that resulted in its failure, the biggest of which was very limited party support (only 22 games total were ever produced), poor advertising (saying it was portable when it actually wasn't), and with the Nintendo 64 right around the corner the company had more important things to worry about. All they really cared about was having a product out to steal the light from the Playstation, since the Super NES/Famicom was on its way out and the Nintendo 64 was facing more delays.

In short, it was dead on arrival. Gunpei took the fall, however his legacy is the huge portable market that kept Nintendo alive when Sony rose to power and dominated.

It's a good Wikipedia read on the summation of the life and death of the Virtual Boy.

Personally I think the only problem with Lucky Star is that it's a victim of hype. Expectations ran high, it didn't deliver for those people, and thus there's a backlash from those who want it to be something it's not.
Old 2007-04-30, 07:03   Link #77
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Yet even if it is the case, I bet it would all blow over without any reprecussions from 2chan or blog posters. They'd probably spin it so it was somehow funny, because Kyoto Animation is immune to criticism and is god. If it is supposed to be a "joke" and it does backfire, I would actually be quite surprised.

The question now is if Kyoto Animation "Wants To Be Startin' Somethin' ".

The layers on this just keep adding up. The follow-up is definitely going to be one for the books.

Would that also mean you'd refrain from commenting on their shows like a bazillion times a day? If so I hope it's true...
Old 2007-04-30, 10:16   Link #78
Woland
Latin Rascal

Ok, I have watched the Lucky Channel part and... I'm mistaking something or Shiraishi said nyoro~n in his introduction? (and much of Tsukasa expressions for the episode, more than the past ones, resemble churuya-chan art-style).
Old 2007-04-30, 10:20   Link #79
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Would that also mean you'd refrain from commenting on their shows like a bazillion times a day? If so I hope it's true...
I think you are missing the point in what I'm trying to say with that post.
Old 2007-04-30, 10:27   Link #80
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload

Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
He's tsundere for KyoAni.

On a serious note, the announcement is still up. So I guess the news is real after all.