AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-10, 10:26   Link #61
kalbron

I thought most European countries that have militia conscription had it commence at 18 with 2 to 5 years of service?

Hence even then they'd have less training than what Welkin's had, as he's had at least 12 years worth of military training. The Gallian system is somewhat frightening when you stop and think about it... but that's contingent on the fact you aren't from a nation like Israel or Switzerland of course.
Old 2009-05-10, 11:45   Link #62
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
I thought most European countries that have militia conscription had it commence at 18 with 2 to 5 years of service?

Hence even then they'd have less training than what Welkin's had, as he's had at least 12 years worth of military training. The Gallian system is somewhat frightening when you stop and think about it... but that's contingent on the fact you aren't from a nation like Israel or Switzerland of course.
Meh, its not all that weird after you think about the timeline in the anime/game and then you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuMajt-qooE

- Tak (Kids, kids, everywhere!!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-10, 14:30   Link #63
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Well sure. In our time maybe not but Gallia trains their children to fight for their country from primary school. Finding an inept soldier in Gallia basically means looking outside of the state education system, eg: General Doman, who I would assume, being a noble and all, wouldn't have set foot in a "common" teaching institution.
I dunno, even in the game, General Damon had a rough idea of what to do on the strategic level. He recognized the importance of the Kloden supply base and such though when it really comes down to the fighting he can't do jack.

Quote:

I don't see what would be so frightening about the system. I've had roomates from Korea, China, Singapore, and Denmark and all of them had to go through a mandatory military training at a young age and weren't that much older than me. I think it's a nice idea...if the government has the funds to provide it.

I think Singapore was 2 years of service. Anyho from the show you'll see why they do it and it's what gives Welkin and his comrades a good foundation to build from when it comes to fighting on the battlefield. It's better than just throwing them into the fire without anything.
Old 2009-05-10, 19:53   Link #64
Father Hentai

Quote:

Conscription in Germany is basically 9 Month but goes up to 23 Month ending with Corporal as Rank. Officers have to do 12 to 20 years of service with a trimester to absolve their exams.

I do not see why the Gallian System should frighten. Switzerland conscription system is very interesting because they ensure that in a worst case war scenario they have enough educated reservists who can be reactivated again. They have a more strict conscription when it comes to reservist training. But still they have to undergo a basic training just like Austria and Germany.
Old 2009-05-10, 19:59   Link #65
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, the current system in Singapore is 2 years of full time service, followed by "reservist training". For an officer like Welkins, he'll be picked out from the recruits during Basic Military Training. After this BMT, he heads off to the Officer Cadet School. Assuming he doesn't screw up, he'll be commissioned as a 2LT at the end of the school.
Old 2009-05-10, 23:20   Link #66
kalbron

Well I meant frightening as by the training starting from the moment you start school. Seriously, doesn't the prospect of combat training alongside finger-painting lessons sound both hillarious and disturbing to anyone else?
Old 2009-05-10, 23:27   Link #67
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Well I meant frightening as by the training starting from the moment you start school. Seriously, doesn't the prospect of combat training alongside finger-painting lessons sound both hillarious and disturbing to anyone else?
No, not really. In many countries, children practice drill alongside finger-painting lessons. Part of my childhood was spent in an environment where drilling and air-raid shelter practices were the norm. Moreover, if you consider the time-line, and consider which country Gallia is based upon, its not at all unusual.

Of course, if you were born and raised in the US, such routine may seem silly to you, as the US was never in real danger from external threats, especially after 1989.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-11, 02:02   Link #68
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, in Singapore, while serving the president and country, we don't do anything else. However, it is extremely common to be studying before or after the 2 year service.
Old 2009-05-26, 16:18   Link #69
cloner4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I'm sorry if I came across a little hostile, I wasn't trying too. Anyways I still kind of hold my ground on my statement though. Welkin acts like an airhead in the game as well. Although anime Welkin has done it more frequently, most notably in the first 2 episodes.

Both versions have a knack for saying the wrong things at times and being oblivious to certain things around them.
yea.. you said it..you look good Alicia..the uniform made you look like a bettle/ the swimsuit made you look like a seagull/ here hold the bettle dung for me please?

yea..he's really something
Old 2009-05-26, 21:45   Link #70
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloner4000 View Post
yea.. you said it..you look good Alicia..the uniform made you look like a bettle/ the swimsuit made you look like a seagull/ here hold the bettle dung for me please?

yea..he's really something
Women aren't his strong suit.

Not all men are Casanova.
Old 2009-05-30, 17:17   Link #71
blewin

Just started this series. I must say Welkin is a fairly unusual character. I really like his quirks and brilliance, though I probably wouldn't like him as much if I were to him in person. Someone who is hard to read is difficult to interact with. Fortunately, Welkin has a good nature. Poor Alicia!

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-06-08, 17:15   Link #72
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlostur View Post
So far, I don't like him...

He's too carefree, too laid-back to be a squad commander. He needs to be more take-charge, more determined and more authoritative. I don't think I would follow a commander like him in a war. He should be traveling from place to place, looking at plants and animals instead of leading a military squad.

I haven't played the game, so I can't make any comparison there, but so far in the anime his character is not very impressive.
If you payed attention to the anime you learn he acts when hes required to act. He also makes them understand there lives are important more than anything else, He wont send them to die when there isnt a *need*. Personally, not at first but over time he probably will gain respect from his soldiers.

but what it amazes me is your comment, even with proven results, you still wouldnt follow him eh. I hope you enjoy a company who whips there soldiers and has fellow mates left to die. Remember General Damon who fled the battle ordering his remaining soldiers to stay and fight. All of them KIA so he could run away.

Nope I dissagree with you, I think hes a fine commander and enjoying his role in the anime so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Pretty sure they said in the anime that he received armor training in university so that pretty much gives him the necessary qualifications to be a tank commander.
yep, if people actually payed attention properly in the anime they would of seen this. He is a qualified Tank Commander. Thus becoming the commander of Squad 7. Alexander the great was a Cavarly Commander, yet commanded a whole army of soldiers. So I doubt this was uncommon.

to sum up. Welkin, I really like him. Thats all I have to say

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2009-06-09 at 04:55.
Old 2009-06-08, 21:27   Link #73
justinstrife

Agreed. He's one of my favorite characters in the story.

Infact, because I know the game has so much more going for it than the anime at this point, I went and ordered a 60gb PS3 and Valkyria Chronicles this morning.
Old 2009-06-09, 01:53   Link #74
cloner4000

Now that's more like it..I bought the game but borrow my friends' PS3..but once I moved out I plan to get one too..this is definitely worth the PS3 for me.

Welkin is a pretty good character, he maybe carefree..but he's no emotionally unstabble and sadistic. In fact he handle himself quite well.
Old 2009-06-09, 02:58   Link #75
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
yep, if people actually payed attention properly in the anime they would of seen this. He is a qualified Tank Commander. Thus becoming the commander of Squad 7. Alexander the great was a Cavarly Commander, yet commanded a whole army of soldiers. So I doubt this was uncommon.
If anything, if you are a tank commander, you need to learn how to lead infantry too, so you can effectively coordinate your efforts, and have them protect your (many) blind spots properly.
Old 2009-06-09, 04:59   Link #76
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
If anything, if you are a tank commander, you need to learn how to lead infantry too, so you can effectively coordinate your efforts, and have them protect your (many) blind spots properly.
Yep and hes doing that quite well so far. No causulties reported yet right ?, after a few successful missions?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-06-09, 05:08   Link #77
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Women aren't his strong suit.

Not all men are Casanova.
yep, would really suck if they made him out to be a prince charming. Just wouldnt fit.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-06-09, 07:20   Link #78
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Tank Commander is a 'focus' in Officer Training, which every University student in Gallia goes to. I can't imagine they'd neglect to give him rudimentary instruction in leading infantry.
Old 2009-06-09, 08:16   Link #79
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Woulnd't leading Infantry be the same thing as leading your Platoon? He's led them into what...3 battles? And gave them their instructions before the battle. Isn't that what a Commander does? Not like he has to go running like a grunt with his other grunts.
Old 2009-06-09, 10:38   Link #80
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
yep, would really suck if they made him out to be a prince charming. Just wouldnt fit.
Exactly. His character is much more fun this way.

I'm usually tired of the male lead in harems and most shows with romance elements, but Welkin has his own reasons and the interactions are done in a way that is enjoyable for me to watch.