AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-01, 23:22   Link #41
nuaythebest

Quote:
As long as it doesn't turn into another discussion about how all dubs suck,
I don't think it will. Personally , I think Japanese track is obviously superior to the dub in most cases. I can accept a comment that say dub is inferior compare to Japanese track because it really is. The only comment I couldn't stand is person who watching dub = some kind of retard or having a problem with reading skill. The reason I watch dub is because it fun. Dub maybe inferior but I don't care as long as I can have fun with it.
Old 2008-01-02, 01:44   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Many people prefer dubs because.... wowzers, the font is sucky enough that they have trouble reading it (astigmatism) or they're the type of viewer that watches a bit casually (while knitting or doing something else).

That's probably why I'm as hard on dubs as I am --- because I'd like them to be good enough that I can get by without the subs if I'm not into "total immersion" mode.
Old 2008-01-02, 08:30   Link #43
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Many people prefer dubs because.... wowzers, the font is sucky enough that they have trouble reading it (astigmatism) or they're the type of viewer that watches a bit casually (while knitting or doing something else).

That's probably why I'm as hard on dubs as I am --- because I'd like them to be good enough that I can get by without the subs if I'm not into "total immersion" mode.
That's nice. Can I watch them anyway, and praise them if I find them good? Without being criticized and told I'm wrong.
Old 2008-01-02, 14:45   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sure, I've never criticized anyone who likes or watches dubs (or I apologize profusely if I have). However, I've been on the receiving end of some hurled poo from people who like particular english VAs or dubs in general because I've criticized something they liked.

I simply think the dubbing process could adjusted for some dramatic improvements in performance energy ... and that there a lot of talent is going unused in favor of using the "same small pool" over and over whether or not they are appropriate for the part (or emote all that well).

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-02 at 15:18.
Old 2008-01-03, 16:32   Link #45
Asrialys

Quote:
Sure, I've never criticized anyone who likes or watches dubs (or I apologize profusely if I have). However, I've been on the receiving end of some hurled poo from people who like particular english VAs or dubs in general because I've criticized something they liked.

I simply think the dubbing process could adjusted for some dramatic improvements in performance energy ... and that there a lot of talent is going unused in favor of using the "same small pool" over and over whether or not they are appropriate for the part (or emote all that well).
Well, I think people might respond negatively to comments like the one below.

Quote:
Makes it sound like we aren't bothered to pay attention to what we're watching.

And then there are comments from other people elsewhere such as being unable to read or "dubs are for kids" or "all dubs suck," etc.
Old 2008-01-03, 17:18   Link #46
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Makes it sound like we aren't bothered to pay attention to what we're watching.
Uh...not really. I don't see that connotation at all. There are tons of people who can efficiently multitask between TV/Dub/etc and HW/chores/etc. You're being really defensive, IMO. Vexx has already said he has no hate for people who watch dubs, but a problem with how dubs are produced. I am inclined to agree with that.
Old 2008-01-03, 17:44   Link #47
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Uh...not really. I don't see that connotation at all. There are tons of people who can efficiently multitask between TV/Dub/etc and HW/chores/etc. You're being really defensive, IMO. Vexx has already said he has no hate for people who watch dubs, but a problem with how dubs are produced. I am inclined to agree with that.
I multitask.

And I was responding to his first paragraph and how he gets poo hurled at him. I'm just speculating because of negative responses I've seen towards bad arguments against dubs, sarcastic remarks or not. Like in the Code Geass dub thread, where someone posted a good critical review against what little dub we heard, but some of this things he said incited cynical remarks (and I may be too used to the normal responses I see on another forum). Granted, he is from a different country where most things are subbed, so his view was a little influenced.

I think my post was quite neutral and not defensive at all. I wasn't saying anything about Vexx's view of dubs. He can say whatever he likes.

And I have no opinion in regards to his views of how dubs are produced.
Old 2008-01-03, 17:50   Link #48
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
I'm just speculating because of negative responses I've seen towards bad arguments against dubs, sarcastic remarks or not.
You really shouldn't stereotype people who prefer it subbed. Interpreting the phrase "a bit casually" to "not bothering to pay attention" is just a bit of a stretch there.
Old 2008-01-03, 19:17   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, when I was mentioning the multi-tasking, I was specifically thinking of my wife -- who both has astigmatism AND likes to knit while she watches video. The fonts often chosen by the "PROFESSIONAL" dubbers (O.o) is terrible for people with bifocal vision or astigmatism. And she doesn't usually have to look at her knitting but likes to be able to glance at it and not miss a critical piece of subtitle dialog.
I like watching anime with her and the sub/dub issue interferes with our fun sometimes (hence my desire for dubs to improve).

So it wasn't an insult so much as an explanation on why some people prefer dubs.
Apologies if it sounded that way
Old 2008-01-06, 02:17   Link #50
Keruri
Like a falling star

For those of you who haven't yet received or purchased your copy of the Kanon 2006 volume 1 dub, I took the liberation of doing a full review of it. Beware an oncoming influx of text.

Now, just as a warning, I dislike a handful of voices in this dub. I'm going to critique each one thoroughly, and since I'm an amateur voice actress (meaning not yet professional and often participating in fandubs), I tend to do this often while critiquing peers and professionals. Hopefully I'll give a somewhat accurate critique. Also, just to note, I'm FAR from a dub-hater (ADV is my favourite dubbing company, as well). Though I'm fluent in Japanese, I tend to choose the dubbed track when listening to a DVD. Eventually, though, I will always listen to the track in both languages (though normally I've already seen the series in Japanese once before).

Personally, I find the cover and layout of the DVD case to be beautiful. The artwork from the original cover is used, the spine portrays the original logo and the familiar image of Nayuki eating a strawberry parfait, and the back contains a short introduction to the series. ADV has decided to spell Yuuichi as "Yuichi". It's not particularly wrong, but since the u is stressed, I'll continue to spell it Yuuichi. However, there is a mistake in the synopsis, as it states that Yuuichi is in his senior year, when he is actually a junior (second year) in high school.

The DVD itself is mainly white and has the same picture of Nayuki that is used on the spine, though offset to the bottom left. The logo is dislayed at the top with the text "volume 1" written below it.
Front and back cover
Volume 1 DVD

Once the DVD begins, you have the usual ads, previews, etc. The menu itself is simplistic but gorgeous, with the ever-familiar scene of Nayuki during her reunion with Yuuichi and an image of Nayuki and Yuuichi walking in the snow together. The episode titles are displayed in the blue font that ADV has continued to use for the series, and the "languages" and "extras" menu are displayed below it. A red dot, almost a little TOO vivid in my opinion, is used to scroll between and select the choices. The languages are obviously English (default) and Japanese with English subtitles. The extras contained on the DVD are the textless opening and closing along with a subtitled Kanon production video that was contained on the Japanese DVD.
DVD main menu

The mixing and volume of the dub is, as usual, stunning. As expected from ADV. The script was heavily altered to include many slang phrases, including but not limited to "did you herniate yourself", "be a doll", "totally", "dough-weed", "duh", "super cool", "dilly-dallying", "I'm game", "jerkface", "meathead", and "buttface". These mostly amplify the humour and don't directly change the personality of the characters.

Character voice review time.
Yuuichi- I've always envisioned Chris as Yuuichi. At a convention in 2002, shortly after Kanon 2002 came out, I asked him to do a few Yuuichi lines for me since I was dressed as Ayu. Though, confused, he obliged, and my inner fangirl was satiated (especially hearing him do the fake "Uguu". I believe I have that recorded somewhere). I'm probably biased, but I highly enjoyed his rendition of Yuuichi. The voice used is higher than Sugita Tomokazu's, but it's a little more fitting to his age. Chris easily pulls off Yuuichi's many reactions and various emotions, and truly brings out the lovable character we all know.

Nayuki- As much as I love Jessica Boone, I was very scared after hearing the AIR preview voices. Her voice in the short preview clip on the ADV website didn't go over well for me either. However, after episode one, I realized that though the voice was a little mature for my taste, she played the personality of Nayuki fairly well (aside from sleepy Nayuki, which didn't come across too great). Also, "faito, dayo?" is now "hang in there, okay?". I don't have any problems with it, especially since it fits the lip flaps so well.

Ayu- I'm extremely biased since I'm such an Ayu fangirl and have done various fandubs as her, but I didn't care for the voice. I understand that it was a more original take and that the voice "wouldn't sound as natural" if it were as high as Yui Horie's, but I still don't particularly care for it. The first few "uguu"s were a little painful for me, but as time went on, Brittany's improved them. Not to the calibur that I'd like, quite yet, but they have gotten better. Brittany does bring out Ayu's spunky personality well, if not making her seem a little more stubborn and almost rude at times. However, this is partially, if not mostly due to the script, in which Ayu has been made to say "shut up" very harshly to Yuuichi twice in a matter of four episodes. Overall, it could've been worse, but it could've been better.

Akiko- It's very, VERY hard to have someone even come close to Akiko's Japanese voice. The tone is very motherly and unusual, and it's just not heard in America. I don't believe that the dub did a bad job, persay, though the voice doesn't particularly fit Akiko. However, I'm well aware that her voice is by far the hardest to replicate in the series. I do have a slight problem with the characterization, however, as Akiko sounds almost malicious and evil when giving her jam to Yuuichi.

[I'll edit this post later with my full review of the rest of the voices, episodes, and dubbed script.

EDIT: Too lazy.]

Last edited by Keruri; 2008-07-08 at 22:18.
Old 2008-01-06, 06:16   Link #51
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Actually, when I was mentioning the multi-tasking, I was specifically thinking of my wife -- who both has astigmatism AND likes to knit while she watches video. The fonts often chosen by the "PROFESSIONAL" dubbers (O.o) is terrible for people with bifocal vision or astigmatism. And she doesn't usually have to look at her knitting but likes to be able to glance at it and not miss a critical piece of subtitle dialog.
I like watching anime with her and the sub/dub issue interferes with our fun sometimes (hence my desire for dubs to improve).

So it wasn't an insult so much as an explanation on why some people prefer dubs.
Apologies if it sounded that way
They don't really have a choice. The DVD format places quite a few limitations on subtitles.
Old 2008-01-08, 06:42   Link #52
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Wow, I'm pretty impressed with the Kanon dub so far. Finally got my copy of Vol.1 and watched the streaming of episode 1 through Anime News Network.
The whole cast fits their parts in the show. Though the only gripe that I might have over the dub is the pronunciations of names...Makoto Sawatery??!! Even though they are trying their best to pronounce, it still sounds off....
Overall I like the dub...next to the Haruhi dub, this might be the next anime show that I will watch the dub throughout the whole series.
Old 2008-01-19, 00:28   Link #53
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Wow, I'm pretty impressed with the Kanon dub so far. Finally got my copy of Vol.1 and watched the streaming of episode 1 through Anime News Network.
The whole cast fits their parts in the show. Though the only gripe that I might have over the dub is the pronunciations of names...Makoto Sawatery??!! Even though they are trying their best to pronounce, it still sounds off....
Overall I like the dub...next to the Haruhi dub, this might be the next anime show that I will watch the dub throughout the whole series.
I finally got my copy of disc 1 and in agreement here. To me, it sounded like they didn't pronounce the 't' in Sawatari... and said Mai's name differently: Ka-wasumi, not Ka-wa-sumi. [shrugs shoulders]

Old 2008-01-19, 09:27   Link #54
nuaythebest

Except the pronunciations of names, I think Tiffany did a nice job with Makoto. I like her better than other girls voice. Personally I don't mind about this thing unless they are completely wrong , like Maiki -> Mike in Please Twins. It's not easy for non native Japanese people to pronounce the name correctly, I know less than 5 people who can pronounce Utawarerumono title correct.
Old 2008-01-21, 13:24   Link #55
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
god just hearing people try and try utawarerumono is enough to kill >.>

You would think during the dubbing sessions someone would teach them to say the names properly someone there knows! I know they do!
Old 2008-01-22, 20:13   Link #56
MyLifeIsAHarem

dubbing is just not like the real thing...
Old 2008-01-31, 08:00   Link #57
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
I agree with some of the others. They REALLY need to work on pronunciations. Sawatari was just BAD. And Vexx, I think I'm finally starting to get what you meant by "working in a booth." I think I could hear an echo in there, or their playback quality wasn't that great.

Otherwise, I must say, their actual acting is awesome as hell. I may need to watch the first disc again because I loved it. Despite some translations and pronunciations, I might actually prefer English over Japanese when I'm done.
Old 2008-01-31, 14:36   Link #58
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
I have to say, I was very, very, let down. I am not a big Dub fan, sorry it's just me. My dislike stems from the old days, and seeing what they did to SM.

Now as for Kanon, I first watched the Sub. I was even disappointed in this. First it bugged me that all the speakers' lines are in yellow. Why not change colors for different speakers. Secondly as someone already mentioned the Mrs. for Nayuki's mom was very irritating.

Then I happened to find Kanon Esp. 1 on Anime Network, with the dub. Yuuichi's tone bothered me. He kept coming across as sarcastic. I also agree I thought Nayuki's VA sounded way too old. Not a highschooler at all, more like a college age kid. Ayu was okay, but she hasn't gotten the ~Uguu~ like Yurie had it. It came across fake. So these are just my thoughts....but again I will say I was seriously let down, and disappointed. ADV could have done great things with Kanon and I just feel they didn't reach their maximum potential.

Has anyone else noticed that ADV has pulled Kanon from their website along with a bunch of other recent titles?
Old 2008-04-03, 01:55   Link #59
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Well, I've now seen through volume two of the dub. I'm back with some more impressions. I'll leave it at my views have changed and let you read for yourself. PDF version

Please note that this is only through volume two and that my views may change upon the dramatic scenes' recreation. Regardless, I will most certainly have a final review post-volume six.

Spoiler for length:

Last edited by VRMN; 2008-04-03 at 02:16.
Old 2008-04-03, 07:11   Link #60
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

So far, I'm really impressed by the dub of Kanon with volume 2. They still keep the constant pace of good voice acting alongside with Kanon's story. Though I still cringe at the pronounciation of the names in the Kanon dub, but it can't be helped. I'm liking Mai's dubbing voice...she really sounds mature. Sayuri's dub voice also retains her original personality that was done with the Japanese voices.

I don't if its just me, but does anyone have that feeling the dub seems to have this "echoe" sound whenever they speak...no matter what the setting in the background is in any scene?
I seem to notice that more in volume 2...weird...
Closed Thread