AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-05-29, 02:28   Link #3501
jasper222

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for teh lulz:
Spoiler for all right:

I got some things too after watching the camrip of suzumiya haruhi during a net interruption:

Spoiler for teh muvee:
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 02:53   Link #3502
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

Mikuru's always been rather scared of Yuki actually. Whether it's because they're fairly opposite in terms of actually being (compare Mikuru's helpless, hapless overly emotion status to Yuki's composed, near omnipotent for most intents and purposes one)

There's also fan theories (when are there not) that Mikuru, if she is indeed acting, is scared of Yuki because Yuki can easily see through the act. She's also scared of the ITDE, because even advanced as the time travellers are, they've got nothing on Yuki's faction.

A lot of people interpret her "I see" comment as one of resignation that she has to get further involved. She probably knew that Yuki was a representative of a competing faction, so simply by being in close proximity to Haruhi, Yuki has gained an advantage. If not for that, Mikuru might have actually said no - whether Haruhi would have taken no for an answer is of course a different matter, but it was the fact that Mikuru had to match Yuki's involvement that pretty much sealed her membership into the club.
Old 2010-05-29, 03:54   Link #3503
jasper222

I thought that too, but it seemed kind of too ordinary
Old 2010-05-29, 04:38   Link #3504
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

My personal idea for why Mikuru is so scared of Yuki is a simple one.

Haruhi has no reason to be scared of Yuki, so she is not.

Kyon knows he has reason to be scared of the IDSE, since one of its interfaces tried to kill him...twice...but trusts Yuki (and his John Smith trump card) enough that he's not scared of her.

Itsuki probably has a better grasp of and respect for Yuki's power, being somewhat powered himself, but the apparent neutral relationship the IDSE has with the Organization ("acknowledgement" might be a better word), and Itsuki's innate unreadability make it difficult to tell whether he's as smugly confident with the comparable IDSE knowledge advantage he has over Kyon as he appears to be, or if deep down he's a drooling basket case just over the sheer malevolent potential she embodies, and puts on a hell of a face. My guess is somewhere in the middle, where he's come to see Yuki as a relatively trustworthy friend much like Kyon has, but is ready to run for the figurative hills at a moment's notice should her warranty expire.

Mikuru, however, is a completely different case. To her, Yuki is history. Make no mistake, she knew exactly who and what Yuki was the moment she saw her. In Mikuru's future, people have probably written theses on the IDSE, going into all kind of detail that wouldn't even appear as theory to Stephen Hawking, so much as gibberish. As much as Mikuru appears to have been dropped into the past with the intellectual equivalent of two damp sticks and an animal-skin loincloth (you're welcome for that mental image, BTW), you can bet she's had more than just a primer on Yuki and the IDSE.

See, the time travelers have two things on the other two human camps (Kyon, and the Organization) in regards to the IDSE. First and most obviously is a future vantage point. Haruhi's very existence does mean all bets are off, but they do know what's likely to happen concerning the IDSE, and have a inkling of what the IDSE's abilities might entail from that. Second, and most importantly, they have however many years of scientific advancement that let them get an intellectual vantage point upon the IDSE's existence. If she lives in a society that has virtualized communication and conquered time travel, she's probably intimately aware, simply by dint of being of high school age, of things that are beyond the "experiences" of even the most drug-addled of 21st century sci-fi writers.

tl;dr version:

To Haruhi, Yuki is Yuki.
To Kyon, Yuki is a trustworthy friend who works for a very powerful space something or other that may not have his best interests in mind.
To Itsuki, Yuki is a familiar and relatively stable aspect of an insanely powerful data entity that he undoubtedly understands a lot less than he'd like to.
To Mikuru, Yuki is the skin of the finger puppet that the hyperCthulhu on data steroids known as the IDSE uses to interact with her own, personal, intricately fragile past. Mikuru actually understands some of the significance of what that nigh-omnipotent cosmic horror entails, first and foremost being that if Itsuki did understand, he probably wouldn't like to.
Old 2010-05-30, 00:15   Link #3505
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Based on what I have just described, Kyon's surname can be any one of the following common Japanese surnames:

Sakaki (if his first name comes after the other male Sakaki)
Sakamoto
Sato
Saito
Shimizu
Sugiyama
Tachibana
Takahashi
Takenaka
Tanaka
Tanigawa <-- A perfect fit for Kyon's name if Kyon were an Author Avatar for real-life Haruhi author Tanigawa Nagaru.
Taniguchi (if his first name comes before the Taniguchi-we-know's first name)[/SPOILER]

From the description I gave in the above spoiler tag, the surnames of the girls who sit in front of and behind Kyon do not affect Kyon's seating position. It is the boys' surnames before and after Kyon that matter (namely, Sakaki in front and Taniguchi behind him). Like I discussed in the space-saving spoiler box above, Kyon's surname can be anything like Sato, Sugiyama, Tachibana, Takahashi, Tanaka, or Tanigawa (as long as his name fits between "Sakaki" and "Taniguchi")
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
Spoiler for teh muvee:
Spoiler:

Last edited by ijuinkun; 2010-05-30 at 00:26.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 00:20   Link #3506
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for what was said:
User89254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 00:37   Link #3507
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Spoiler for what was said:
Spoiler:
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 00:39   Link #3508
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for okay...:
Old 2010-05-30, 01:46   Link #3509
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Spoiler for okay...:
Spoiler for :
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 01:47   Link #3510
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
Spoiler for :
Anime or novel?
Old 2010-05-30, 03:02   Link #3511
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

...fanbook maybe?
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 03:07   Link #3512
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Anime or novel?
Anime, but it's mentioned in the novel as well.

Plus, I believe such a seating arrangement is typical of Japanese schools.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 03:46   Link #3513
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

As far as Kyon's last name goes, all we can really assume is that it alphabetically comes shortly before Taniguchi. The only named persons in the room in the novels are Suzimiya, Taniguchi, Asakura, Kunikida, and Sakanaka. None of the girls come into consideration, and we know he sat in front of Taniguchi (who sat directly behind Haruhi). Since we don't know whether Tanigawa ever told KyoAni or Kadokawa what Kyon's real name is, or even if he knew at that time (he's stated before that he didn't know what Kyon's name is, but has since said he does have a name in mind), we can't take KyoAni's usage of naming as novel canon. And since, if he ever does decide to name Kyon, and they ever do decide to animate it, whatever ends up as his name in the novels is going to trump whatever KyoAni had in mind for the anime (which probably was Tanigawa).

That's assuming Kyon ever gets a name. I'm perfectly fine with him being Kyon even after the series is over. In fact, I'd prefer it. I'd rather it never be revealed, even outside of the series.

Primarily because any time some nicknamed character gets a real name revealed right before the grand finale of a work, you always have some jackholes who decide to call him that for the rest of ever just because they think it makes them look more important. They usually use some kind of lame excuse like "Well, that's his name..." Blah blah...

Case in pont: What would your reaction be to anyone who continuously refers to Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. once you find out that they're talking about the person you know as "Indiana"?

See?

"But 'Indiana' is the dog's name..." *smack!*

Kyon's name is Kyon and will always be Kyon, even if Tanigawa decides to reveal his birth name.
Old 2010-05-30, 05:17   Link #3514
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
we can't take KyoAni's usage of naming as novel canon. And since, if he ever does decide to name Kyon, and they ever do decide to animate it, whatever ends up as his name in the novels is going to trump whatever KyoAni had in mind for the anime (which probably was Tanigawa).
Consider how Tanigawa is so closely working with KyoAni in the production of this anime, I find it doubtful KyoAni wouldn't have let Tanigawa make the decision of where Kyon was sitting. Hell, if they had to, they could have made changes in the re-release just as how they updated the show with the presence of the bamboo plant.
Old 2010-05-30, 14:27   Link #3515
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Hell, if they had to, they could have made changes in the re-release just as how they updated the show with the presence of the bamboo plant.
That's something they added to the DVD version, not the re-release. The re-release is just a broadcast of the DVD versions.
Old 2010-05-30, 18:29   Link #3516
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That's something they added to the DVD version, not the re-release. The re-release is just a broadcast of the DVD versions.
That's what I mean; they can and will change the material to suit the canon. And consider that the author is a credited script writer of the show, it would not be difficult to ask him what letter Kyon's name start with.

Hell, each of the students in class have a name and backstory. But that could have happened only if the author put them there, as the anime had no use for such things. Not until the movie, anyway, and that was three years after the first season.
Old 2010-05-30, 20:22   Link #3517
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Hell, each of the students in class have a name and backstory. But that could have happened only if the author put them there, as the anime had no use for such things. Not until the movie, anyway, and that was three years after the first season.
I'll disagree with that one. The way the anime has been done, they could have had use for it. As intricate as the series has been with the things going on in its backgrounds, especially in the first "season", giving the no-names backstories could have been just an easier and consistent way to answer the animators questions of "So what is XXX doing right now?"
Old 2010-05-31, 17:01   Link #3518
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Spoiler for kyon name:

this is what I think. it can be wrong or right.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 03:24   Link #3519
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

As for Kyon's name, Vol. 9 hints that it's written very strangely, and is the sort of name you'd associate with royalty.

It probably isn't a very normal name at all.
Old 2010-06-04, 23:43   Link #3520
jasper222

Written strangely? I can only think of one Japanese royalty name though.

Oda Nobunaga.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga