AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-11, 04:35   Link #3001
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
I agree with Urzu 7. It is important to remember that eastern religions are more "free" and straightforward because they are not politicized . Hell is a fear tactic to gain more followers, then more power.
The nation of Sri Lanka would like to have a word with you about that.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:21   Link #3002
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
If I remember well Buddhism isn't really a religion..but a life style....becouse there isn't A "GOD" or a deity in buddhism.

Mmmmh to be honest i'm alwais attracted from buddhism
Old 2011-02-11, 09:41   Link #3003
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
I agree with Urzu 7. It is important to remember that eastern religions are more "free" and straightforward because they are not politicized . Hell is a fear tactic to gain more followers, then more power.
That's not true at all. Lots of eastern religions have been used as a political tool over the course of history. Trace the history of Buddhism from Nepal through the many Asian countries it became popular in. Not only do the doctrines become completely changed (Theravada -> Mahayana) the different countries add their own elements, some of which were political in origin. It seems they are less politicized from a western viewpoint since we tend to study the early history of these religions, and not how they evolved into the many forms of today. Same with Christianity, even though I'm not the biggest fan of Abrahamic religion in general there was a point before Constantine when Christians were not involved with politics at all... It wasn't until the dark ages that the church became a political figure and started warping doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Sephiroth View Post
If I remember well Buddhism isn't really a religion..but a life style....becouse there isn't A "GOD" or a deity in buddhism.

Depends what type of Buddhist. Bare-bones, early Theravada Buddhism could probably be practiced by agnostics, whereas later Theravada and Mahayana sects are pretty close to polytheism in their worship of the many Bodhisattva, figures somewhere between saints and gods themselves depending on the sect.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 10:12   Link #3004
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I'm full Roman Catholic since birth and I'm a full believer I guess. I'm not a good example of one though... I do have some doubts but then I have more faith to cover it up.

Just because one has religion does not mean he doesn't care about science. This is why I think the nuns in To aru majutsu no Index are poorly portrayed or unrealistic.
Old 2011-02-11, 11:28   Link #3005
Honoakari
Lurking Member

^ Don't forget that the nuns in Index have stronger religious beliefs than those in real life because of the existence of magic.

I think it's pretty natural for them to reject science, which not only denies their faith, but also their magical powers.
Old 2011-02-11, 14:56   Link #3006
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I'm full Roman Catholic since birth and I'm a full believer I guess. I'm not a good example of one though... I do have some doubts but then I have more faith to cover it up.

Just because one has religion does not mean he doesn't care about science. This is why I think the nuns in To aru majutsu no Index are poorly portrayed or unrealistic.
They're fantasy... like most elements in anime which take a real icon or motif and stretch it into science fiction or fantasy. Western religion - particularly christianity is exotic to them, just like eastern religion or mythologies tend to be exotic to Christians. For a thought exercise, look at how anime treats Buddhism or Shinto -- there's just as much fantasy involved. In the West, look at movies like Constantine, Hellboy, any film about demons or angels....

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-02-11 at 14:57. Reason: nah, never mind on the last bit....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 15:57   Link #3007
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post

Yeah, hm, if I wanted realism, I'd be more bothered by the miniskirts and magic powers, honestly. Within the context of the anime, it makes perfect sense for nuns to dislike science, since there's a war going on between esper and magicians. And science is on the esper side.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 16:05   Link #3008
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
The nation of Sri Lanka would like to have a word with you about that.

Sri Lanka had a ethnic war, not a religious war.
sure, religion might have played a small part. But it was a war that started because of ethnic discrimination from both sides.
Old 2011-02-11, 17:32   Link #3009
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Sephiroth View Post

I hear from time to time people ask if Buddhism is really a religion, and I think most sects in Buddhism are, if not all of them. Just because they don't believe in a personal creator God doesn't mean it isn't a religion. Buddhists still believe in metaphysics, spiritual reality (spiritual realms and beings, Nirvana), and a higher power and order (the mystic law of karma, ever present grace in the cosmos), etc.

Buddhism can be a religion and a way of life based on philosophy all at once.
Old 2011-02-11, 17:53   Link #3010
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I hear from time to time people ask if Buddhism is really a religion, and I think most sects in Buddhism are, if not all of them. Just because they don't believe in a personal creator God doesn't mean it isn't a religion. Buddhists still believe in metaphysics, spiritual reality (spiritual realms and beings, Nirvana), and a higher power and order (the mystic law of karma, ever present grace in the cosmos), etc.

Buddhism can be a religion and a way of life based on philosophy all at once.
yeah....mine was only a talk linked to Typical meaning of word" religion".

What i can read on book under "religion".

But is only a definition.
Old 2011-02-11, 21:00   Link #3011
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Sri Lanka had a ethnic war, not a religious war.
sure, religion might have played a small part. But it was a war that started because of ethnic discrimination from both sides.
Nevertheless, it is true that both sides are characterized by their Buddhist and Hindu identity, respectively. In fact, the "Sri" in Sri Lanka means "holy" in the Buddhist sense of the word; one can only imagine how the Tamils must have felt about that at the time, eh?

Therefore, my point stands that eastern religions are as vulnerable to politicization as their western counterparts. Spade's a spade.
Old 2011-02-11, 21:02   Link #3012
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The proper answer to the question "Is Buddhism a philosophy or a religion?" is probably "Yes."

Quote:
Therefore, my point stands that eastern religions are as vulnerable to politicization as their western counterparts. Spade's a spade.
Tibetan Buddhism is a good example of the tenets being *very* useful to the land-owning aristocracy in Tibet prior to the arrival of the PRC forces. People who support Tibet should realize there are more than two 'sides' in that issue.

Buddhism comes in many forms as it tends to incorporate whatever beliefs existed prior to its arrival or co-exist with them.
Old 2011-02-13, 18:06   Link #3013
kaito-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Nevertheless, it is true that both sides are characterized by their Buddhist and Hindu identity, respectively.
No not really, It's much much deeper than that. There is an amazing cultural difference between the two. Religion played a very small part in the conflict. I'm actually half Sri Lankan. My mom told me a lot of stories about the war, how it started, What and who caused it, ect.. She never really mentioned religion.

Quote:
In fact, the "Sri" in Sri Lanka means "holy" in the Buddhist sense of the word; one can only imagine how the Tamils must have felt about that at the time, eh?
At that point, there was already a thousand other things where they didn't agree with each other.
Old 2011-02-13, 18:33   Link #3014
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
No not really, It's much much deeper than that. There is an amazing cultural difference between the two. Religion played a very small part in the conflict. I'm actually half Sri Lankan. My mom told me a lot of stories about the war, how it started, What and who caused it, ect.. She never really mentioned religion.
Question: where did the "cultural difference" come from?

Old 2011-02-13, 19:08   Link #3015
kaito-kid

Quote:
Question: where did the "cultural difference" come from?
I'm not going to pretend as if have deep understanding of South Asian culture but I'm pretty that the cultural difference is something that has been shaped over time by a lot of deferent factors, including religion.
Old 2011-02-13, 21:17   Link #3016
DarkSpring

I'm an idon'tcare-ist
Old 2011-02-14, 00:49   Link #3017
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Religion affects culture....and culture affects religion.....

They try to control each another......
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 10:44   Link #3018
Tarqaron

I do not believe in religion all together, though I play around and act like I'm a Satanist, just to freak people out. I will go to church if I need to, I'm just affraid to burst into flames as I walk in, seeing as I'm evil and all.
Tarqaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:14   Link #3019
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarqaron View Post
I do not believe in religion all together, though I play around and act like I'm a Satanist, just to freak people out. I will go to church if I need to, I'm just affraid to burst into flames as I walk in, seeing as I'm evil and all.
Mafia's Boss, Killer, pedofile go to church, and i never read about anyone of them that burst into flame..

then I think that nobody burst in flame becouse PLAY and act like a satanist or becouse killed any animal to make a "sacrifice"
Old 2011-02-16, 13:38   Link #3020
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarqaron View Post
You're contradicting yourself nor do you sound very evil ...
1) You don't believe in religion yet you're afraid you'll burst into flames in a church.
2) Do you even know what a "satanist" is? Have you researched it? Basically, the actual practice is an extreme form of hedonistic libertarianism.
3) Have you researched any spiritual or philosophical systems at all to decide what you think or how you want to live?
4) There's more than "two religions" (christianity and satanism)... those aren't the only choices.

If you're actually interested, do some exploration.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion