Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-07-24, 20:37   Link #101
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
So airpower, airpower, and more airpower basically.
And sea power if you mulit-land mass. There is nothing better then ambushing someones transport and sinking their invasion force before it lands.
Old 2011-07-25, 02:46   Link #102
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Holy fuck, I didn't realize that Fighters and bombers could reduce city defenses with the "city bomb" function What? OMG. I might just do more tank/air attacks then.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 02:48   Link #103
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Holy fuck, I didn't realize that Fighters and bombers could reduce city defenses with the "city bomb" function What? OMG. I might just do more tank/air attacks then.
You didn't know?

I actually have fun using that feature to... repeatedly bomb a city - without ever taking over. Delicious "target practice".

With Civ V, it's actually a very convenient way to level up air units.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 06:06   Link #104
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
You didn't know?

I actually have fun using that feature to... repeatedly bomb a city - without ever taking over. Delicious "target practice".

With Civ V, it's actually a very convenient way to level up air units.
You kidding? It ain't just convenient, it's the most cost effective too. You can basically air-bomb a city repeatedly till there's nothing left but radioactive dust and glass skeletons. Then you can just get some land unit to casually stroll in and plonk a flag to claim it as your own (and then raze it to finish the job).

The AI can't handle enemy bombers effectively.

Natch.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:28   Link #105
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Then you can just get some land unit to casually stroll in and plonk a flag to claim it as your own (and then raze it to finish the job).
LOL, why would I want to do that? XD
Old 2011-07-25, 06:33   Link #106
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Because the AI is generally very haphazard in their city placement. So the maintenance cost does not justify the resources it generates, even if you make it a puppet city.

Cheers.
Old 2011-07-25, 14:18   Link #107
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Quote:
Because the AI is generally very haphazard in their city placement. So the maintenance cost does not justify the resources it generates, even if you make it a puppet city.

Cheers.
Unless it has a wonder or near end game.

Sometimes the AI's idiocy amaze me. You can find cities place 2 tiles away form the mouth of a river into the ocean. Those are absolute perfect spots and instead the city is next to a jungle.
Old 2011-07-25, 14:40   Link #108
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I raze a city if it has no food or something bad like one off coast so it can't improve seafood. However late game, if you're going for a domination/diplomation win it generally takes too long to develop a city, so I just end up keeping it.

You can also gift shitty cities in IV, or sell them in V. =p

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-25, 15:24   Link #109
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

It's fun to spearhead into a hostile country and then trade the puppets to a third party for riches and resources. Usually that country spends time retaking those cities or the third party throws armies at defending some incredibly poor positions.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 16:06   Link #110
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
I raze a city if it has no food or something bad like one off coast so it can't improve seafood. However late game, if you're going for a domination/diplomation win it generally takes too long to develop a city, so I just end up keeping it.

You can also gift shitty cities in IV, or sell them in V. =p
City gifting and trading has been in civ since the beginning, also in IV there was the "liberate" option.
Old 2011-07-25, 16:07   Link #111
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I find that Domination victory is a lot easier to pull in Civ 5 than Civ 4. Then again, everything is easier in Civ 5 (I was having a hard time winning noble in Civ 4 but I was able to more regularly kick ass in emperor in Civ 5). I like both games though, and after reading this thread I'm quickly gaining the nostalgia to play Civ4 again.
Old 2011-07-25, 16:33   Link #112
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
City gifting and trading has been in civ since the beginning, also in IV there was the "liberate" option.
Ah, I've really only played IV and V, and like 3 games of II.

"Liberate" is pretty much the only option in Civ IV since the AI never trades for cities; they might give up cities for peace, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I find that Domination victory is a lot easier to pull in Civ 5 than Civ 4. Then again, everything is easier in Civ 5 (I was having a hard time winning noble in Civ 4 but I was able to more regularly kick ass in emperor in Civ 5). I like both games though, and after reading this thread I'm quickly gaining the nostalgia to play Civ4 again.
Civ 5 did feel easier, because the one unit per tile mechanic was too hard for the ai to grasp. Actually the controls are so awful that if a human has trouble, the poor AI...

5's AI, from what I last saw seems to declare war haphazardly. It doesn't matter if they're much weaker than you, they just send a line of units through a narrow choke to get massacred by archers.

Civ IV AI was retarded but a bit more sensible for war declarations.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-25, 16:42   Link #113
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Civ 5 did feel easier, because the one unit per tile mechanic was too hard for the ai to grasp. Actually the controls are so awful that if a human has trouble, the poor AI...

5's AI, from what I last saw seems to declare war haphazardly. It doesn't matter if they're much weaker than you, they just send a line of units through a narrow choke to get massacred by archers.
looks like i made good choice in not buying civ5

Quote:
Civ IV AI was retarded but a bit more sensible for war declarations.
other then Monty, Shaka and Raggie, none of the others would declare war no matter how much they hate you if you are stronger then they are.
Old 2011-07-25, 17:21   Link #114
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:

Cheers.
Oh, I was talking about a city half-way across the world where city placement doesn't matter.

In this case, I would actually have carriers (and a few ships) parked off the coast of the enemy. OR, I'd be flying planes from my own city placed far away, but in close proximity to the enemy. Preferably, this kind of city is placed on an island of its own.
Old 2011-07-25, 17:59   Link #115
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I had one of the worst placements when I tried playing a large world map... I got placed directly in the center of Mexico with vast jungles and even more jungles to block me out from expanding until I get the technology to cut them down.. The only good thing that came out of it was the bananas
Old 2011-07-25, 22:23   Link #116
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
other then Monty, Shaka and Raggie, none of the others would declare war no matter how much they hate you if you are stronger then they are.
I often would get huge 50+ armies of knights randomly attack me from Charlemagne consistently in IV BTS, even if the HRE had just discovered the technology for knights and only had three or so cities. It was so damn set up in his favor every game.
Old 2011-07-25, 23:06   Link #117
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
I often would get huge 50+ armies of knights randomly attack me from Charlemagne consistently in IV BTS, even if the HRE had just discovered the technology for knights and only had three or so cities. It was so damn set up in his favor every game.
i usually have about 2 dozen long bows with various other units on my borders. i just love watching the other civies attack a fortified city filled with longbow units
Old 2011-07-25, 23:19   Link #118
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I don't see the point in massing so many longbows unless it's a sneak attack. A couple of longbow per city and walls really help, but I'd rather just build mass catapult/mace/crossbow and just hit it with tons of collateral damage.

Also, 50 knights, lol. Must be one of the higher difficulties.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-27, 16:53   Link #119
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Archon declared war three times in the course of our session today and I wiped out all the Barbarians in Africa with a combination of Muskeeters, Cuirassairs and Trebuchet siege technology. Pacal II is dead, Hannibal and Oranje are vassals of Archon and I now control two of Oranje's towns. The southeast coast of Africa is firmly under control with 7 established and growing cities. Archon took the North-West and Hannibal his vassal has the center.

We've basically teched up to about the level of discovering Oil and both our civs are really rich and utterly dominant now. Pretty soon we'll have a permenant alliance going and will be able to push around the other civs with even more ease. Not long till the end game now....could even be done tonight.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 17:47   Link #120
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Edit, here's a save file so you can check it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bvc3hln4h6hd167

And now, we can take advantage of arguably one of the most broken features of the game-- The Apostolic Palace.

This wonder is the early game version of the UN, but it only applies to people who have its religion. The religion of the AP is determined by the religion of the civ that finishes it. You can't build it without a state religion. If you are Hindu and finish the AP under hinduism, then the AP remains hindu regardless of what religon you choose later on.

Once the AP is built, someone is elected as resident; there's always 2 candidates:
1.) The person that owns the AP, regardless of what religion they're running (The AP can change hands if it gets captured, but the religion stays the same)
2.) The person that has the most votes AND is running the AP religion as a religion

Votes: Every city with the AP religion gives you votes equal to the city's population. Cities without the AP religion don't count. If you are running the AP religion, you get 2x votes.

The catch here? If every civilization has the AP religion, whether it be one small village or all of the cities, there's an option for religous leader (diplomatic victory). 75% of the votes and you win.

In our current game, every civ is Jewish, but I build the AP under Hinduism and switched back to Judaism. So you might think, oh well everyone would hate you if you are hindu but...

Because I own the AP, I am always eligible even if I'm not Hindu, because nobody else is Hindu... I have no other opponent. I may not have the 2x votes from running the religion, but i deliberately controlled the spread of Hinduism.

Thus, with a gerrymandered election and some favors... this game can easily be over. I'll be signing a permanent alliance with Kaioshin, and there is nothing that can be done.

Anyhow, a summary of events:
A Mayan city was overwhelmed by culture and wished to defect. The Mayans, being the cruel oppressors they are, refused to give the people what they wanted; defying the religous resolution. Many were unhappy.

Meanwhile, as Kaioshin was taking the southeast of the Africa-like continent, I decided to colonize the north, and found oil. That's nice to know.

The Mayan city forcefully liberates itself and joins me. Pacal was powerless to stop a revolt of his own city, causing his own people to lose faith.

Meanwhile, Hannibal, who was clashing with me and Kaioshin for colonies suddenly offers to become my vassal. What? Whatever, I accept.

Meanwhile, Pacal hates me now and I demand 50 gold to ensure peace. In an act of lunacy Pacal refuses my gracious offer because he believes his handful of longbows will do something, what? The ambassador returned with the following expression:

Anyhow, it was not wise of Pacal, as within 20 turns, he was completely destroyed; cavalry and airships >>>>> longbows.

Meanwhile, i gift some crappy formerly mayan cities to the east to gilgamesh; he's happy.

With the Mayans taken care of, I go after the Dutch. These cities were granted to the French which could handle them better. Wilem decides to surrender and I accept his capitulation.

Meanwhile, captured Mayan slaves are sent to work the colonies to the south.

And I'm 5 turns away from finishing communism, meaning Kaioshin and I can finally sign a permanent alliance.

And lol...

And so let the message be sent forth.

We promise a new era of growth and peace. Join and accept the superiority of the Egyptian empire and trust in us as we usher a new age of religous leadership. Your empires are plagued with filth and hunger, while we have electricity in the 16th century. You still use bows and arrows to fight your oppressors, we have rifles and bombard cannons. You still force your citizens into predefined roles and even force some into unpaid labor, while our citizens enjoy the freedom to pursue any occupation they wish.

It is not that we have anything against Judaism. It has been a powerful force that has lead us in peace throughout the many years, but it is through the power of Hinduism that has blessed the greatness of the Egyptian empire. We do not expect you to turn away from Judaism; they can coexist, but it is necessary to do what is right.

For even under the Great Alliance, you people fought wars that ravaged your own lands, and the Egyptian empire has always tried to encourage peace and harmony, but sometimes peace can only be obtained by force. We have what it takes to ensure the peace of the civilized world.

The Egyptian Empire has always been dedicated to peacekeeping. When Ragnar of the Vikings committed intolerable aggression by daring to settle near lands that were rightfully ours, we quickly reacted to stop this unprovoked aggression. It is true that we consider the western part of this continent rightfully ours, but these are just details. The same with Sitting Bull, who had used Hinduism in a evil way to antagonize all of you. Against foes like these, we correctly chose preemptive action to maintain the peace.

But please, do not repeat the mistake of history, like the Mayans did. We offered a small and reasonable request of tribute to Pacal, but he refused our merciful ways. Thus, to maintain the peace, the Mayan civilization was completely wiped out to show that this kind of aggressive response would not be tolerated. It is clear that those who are not willing to cooperate with us are against us.

And the Dutch. The Dutch willingly and knowingly sponsored reckless acts of terrorism against the Egyptian people. As a response to these cowardly acts of sabotage, Egyptian forces moved in with their French allies to show that terrorism among nations would not be tolerated. Our occupation of the Dutch homelands will only last into we have successfully educated them on the ways of freedom.

So please, accept our gesture of goodwill and vote for us in the next religous election. We promise to lead the world into a new age of prosperity and joy, and it would be such a tragedy if you and your people were not around to see it. Surely it would be wise to avoid the fate of the Mayans, Vikings, and Native Americans.

The Cathraginians have already seen the light and offered vassalage to the Egyptian empire. We truly shared goals in the free market with them. Within a few years, their people lived longer, healthier, and happier lives with the help of our advanced technology. We have always been willing to trade with our allies, and we hope to do so even more in the future.

We understand this decision is important, so just take all of into consideration. We have faith in our friends and brothers that you will make the right one.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-27 at 18:04.