AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-08, 12:51   Link #901
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Of course it's not super glued!

...It's screwed in. And you can rotate it!
He's taken it off twice already. Once in episode 1 during his examination and in episode 3, while wearing the space suit. Once again, in both ocasions they actually show him putting the damned thing on. Guess it's their way of saying "Our Captain takes his hat off". Of course the ultimate test will be the operation scene (if there is one, of course), in the original it happened during the Ecto Gas episode wich would put it in chapter 3. If he keeps it during that... XDDD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 13:45   Link #902
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yamato is basically a character itself. Not all shows personify the hero ship, but sometimes it is justified. The Millennium Falcon, the original USS Enterprise, and the remake Battlestar Galactic have personality from time to time. They get tempermental, they creak and groan under stress, and the really hard impacts can give an emotional responce from the crew and the audiance.

Yamato does the same. Though it tends to get two other things as well. Direct scorn from its enemies, and direct feeling of relief from those it comes to rescue.

As for the crew, we've not seen the Kitchen staff peeling potatoes, or making rice balls yet, but it could happen. Depends entirely on how their OMCS works behind he scenes. While the original worked by turning generic organic material into Earth food stuffs, the Kitchen staff still had to prepare meals from whatever the system gave them. I'm guessing the ship didn't carry tons of rice and potatoes normally, but had the OMCS process whatever materials it was given into raw potatoes, rice, meats, or whatever. So it was basically a Replicator, but may or may not be able to do finished products. (And there is no idea who came up with it on TV first...as the 1960s Star Trek food processor system seems extremely fast (suppose to be mini-turbolift from the galley that works similar to Yamato's OMCS), and the Animated Series seemed very replicator like. Plus by the films, the background materials would have the film Enterprise using transporters in the food processors...becoming, basically Replicators before the Next Generation came about).

I do know they had some specialty foods in reserve for special occasions. A few wine bottles, some real stakes and the like. For honored guests, or special staff dinners with the Admiral.
Old 2012-08-08, 15:06   Link #903
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
On a guess that would depend entirely on just how accurate warping is. Yamato's first test was rather inaccurate. They arrived near Jupiter somewhere about 3.5 AU away from where they warped from Mars, but about 22.5 AU away from where they were heading (Uranus).
For what it's worth, Sanada says that there was an unknown object in their way, which is why they went out of warp at Jupiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
Even assuming they transported the thing to Jupiter, one wonders why the Gamilas needed an entire continent for a relatively small resupply base. Surely a space station or two would do?
The reason why it was transported is that it would eventually be used in the "gamilasforming" of the Earth — it's in the dialogue.

Without seeing the entire scene, the single image above can be (and has) taken wildly out of context. And in that context, it's humorous and works — as self-parody.

Quote:
That's the main reason I don't have any problems with the way the female cast is played. In a shitty sci-fi show female characters not being swashbuckling fighter pilots or space marines would make them irrelevant secondaries. But since the ship Yamato is a larger than life character in this story that requires the work of a thousand people to function, even the most minor jobs seem like they're of the utmost importance.
True. And if you look at it another way, most of the male cast, beyond Okita, Kodai and Shima, are secondary. (And yes, Yamamoto rocks.)

Last edited by August138; 2012-08-08 at 15:19.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 18:29   Link #904
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post

Without seeing the entire scene, the single image above can be (and has) taken wildly out of context. And in that context, it's humorous and works — as self-parody.
It's not THAT outrageous. Kodai did just play a fairly straight campy space opera scene where he saved the woman from the evil alien/robots with his mighty space laser gun (Though Yuki did help him out there).
Quote:
True. And if you look at it another way, most of the male cast, beyond Okita, Kodai and Shima, are secondary. (And yes, Yamamoto rocks.)
I've always thought distinctive looking gigantic casts of secondary characters were always cool.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 19:19   Link #905
August138

Quote:
It's not THAT outrageous.
That depends on personal opinions; and if the person looking at the photo has actually seen the episode in question. Yuki is "bewildered", because of how the two of have ended up being in an embrace, which she becomes embarrassed by, and Kodai is totally clueless.

Quote:
Kodai did just play a fairly straight campy space opera scene where he saved the woman from the evil alien/robots with his mighty space laser gun (Though Yuki did help him out there).
Which was a nice turn-around (the geyser helped, too).

Quote:
I've always thought distinctive looking gigantic casts of secondary characters were always cool.
Agreed.
Old 2012-08-08, 21:20   Link #906
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kodai's in the middle of a "Wow that pilot was awesome" moment.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:08   Link #907
August138

True. So much so, that he's completely clueless that Yuki is pressed up against him.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:47   Link #908
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Yes, I admit. I'm a romance buff. So I've taken heavy investment in the potential romances that have been introduced with the injection of more female presence in Yamato 2199.

Naturally, you have KodaixYuki. One of my oldest, all-time favorites. Bringing in a female character for Yamamoto's spot in the cast and potentially starting up a Kodai/Yuki/Yamamoto love triangle (which Yuki is already worried about) adds some new spice to the matter. Nanba may have a thing for Yuki as well given how he's always hanging around with her.....

There's definitely something going on between black-haired kid and twintails girl (I haven't quite gotten all the new characters' names down yet ) given how he's been scoping her out every time they've been in the same room since they appeared in episode 2.

From the episode 7 preview, possibly the nurse girl has a thing for Kato?

Also from the preview, squint-eyes guy makes a move on glasses girl? (Niimi, was it?)

I especially like the idea of the Kodai/Yuki/Yamamoto love triangle. (he's already scored potential points with her for making her transfer happen) Probably because Yamamoto was one of my old favorites, due in part to
Spoiler for Farewell Yamato movie:
Old 2012-08-08, 23:34   Link #909
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The old traditional triangle has been the ShimaxMorixKodai axis that quickly resolves to KodaixMori with Shima only reminding them of it once later on.

Spoiler for Yamamoto in 2201:

Spoiler for Farewell Yamato (2201):
Old 2012-08-09, 00:30   Link #910
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The old traditional triangle has been the ShimaxMorixKodai axis that quickly resolves to KodaixMori with Shima only reminding them of it once later on.
Yeah I remember that. But Kodai/Yuki/Yamamoto interests me more. Probably 'cause new Yamamoto is hot.

Quote:
That is a film I would rather they not did.
Eh, I still like the Farewell Yamato movie. To be honest, Farewell Yamato was the first Yamato I ever saw and it's what got me hooked on the franchise, so it holds a special place in my heart.

While the Farwell Yamato movie and live action movies ended with no room for sequels, from certain perspectives that's actually a good way to do it. Look at Evangelion; even some hardcore fans complain about how Gainax has been milking it for 15 years with all these remakes. And I've seen plenty of Yamato fans who were happy to see the live action movie end that way so it didn't get sequel after sequel after sequel and get the heck milked out of it.
Old 2012-08-09, 02:15   Link #911
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is there a female version of the name Jefferson?

Oh and sales charts looks positive at the moment.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=473845&show=0
and
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...2&postcount=20

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 10,034+22,375=32,410 (2+) (Xebec, AIC)
2012/05/25 11,169 Vol. 1 (DVD) (Two episodes)
2012/07/27 *8,899 Vol. 2 (DVD) (Four episodes)
2012/05/25 23,726 Vol. 1 (BD)
2012/07/27 21,025 Vol. 2 (BD)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-09 at 02:40.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 05:28   Link #912
August138

I'm thinking that perhaps the Yamamoto-Kodai-Yuki triangle may have a fourth side: Kato. He and Yamamoto seem to have a history, and he really overreacted when she asked to be transferred to the fighter squadron. Then add the chipper nurse to the mix...
Old 2012-08-09, 05:29   Link #913
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
That depends on personal opinions; and if the person looking at the photo has actually seen the episode in question. Yuki is "bewildered", because of how the two of have ended up being in an embrace, which she becomes embarrassed by, and Kodai is totally clueless.
I made this motivational image just by the episode preview for this episode. And there all we saw was an image of Yuki being carried over the shoulder, and then this scene of her and Kodai posed together. It was pretty obvious he'd just rescued her, and in a typical space hero fashion, was keeping his cool and not paying attention to anything BUT the dame pressed up against him.

Quote:
Which was a nice turn-around (the geyser helped, too).
Well she had an obligation to do that. Her big ass was the only reason Kodai couldn't just shoot the android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Also from the preview, squint-eyes guy makes a move on glasses girl? (Niimi, was it?)
Niimi did seem fascinated with the way he aloofly ignored her and used his robot eyes to go over the computer screen

I guess Megane's have a thing for spocks?

I suppose the fact that the Blu Ray discs selling in higher quantities than the DVD's is probably a good sign for this shows profitability.
Old 2012-08-09, 13:01   Link #914
macdawson

Does someone know what Okita is refering to when he mentions "the forbidden fire of Megiddo", after firing the WMG? I'm guessing it's some mythological reference as the whole Amaterasu thing in episode 1. Okita seems to get quite poetic at times, especially in the next episode previews... XD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 13:23   Link #915
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If the spelling is correct: Megiddo is an ancient city in Israel. Referenced as the future site for Armageddon. The Wave Motion Gun in this sense, I suppose, would be the Judgement of Fire from Heaven. That would fit with the idea of it being able to destroy the Universe.
Old 2012-08-09, 14:57   Link #916
August138

Quote:
I made this motivational image just by the episode preview for this episode.
Exactly my point. :P

Quote:
It was pretty obvious he'd just rescued her.
The geyser distracts the Gamiloid (the proper name Gamilas Androids), and Yuki kicking and elbowing her free, allows Kodai to take the shot. Then, Kodai pushes her out of harms' way, twice, when the tank bears down on them. It seemed a lot more realistic than the Old-Fashioned Space Opera Rescue, IMHO.

Quote:
Well she had an obligation to do that. Her big ass was the only reason Kodai couldn't just shoot the android
Big? Maybe by Japanese standards... LOL!

Quote:
Niimi did seem fascinated with the way he aloofly ignored her and used his robot eyes to go over the computer screen I guess Megane's have a thing for spocks?
The Big Wave Motion Bang Theory...

Quote:
I suppose the fact that the Blu Ray discs selling in higher quantities than the DVD's is probably a good sign for this shows profitability.
I'll say; especially in the light of the sluggish overall sales of the Blu-ray format in Japan.
Old 2012-08-09, 19:31   Link #917
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A little pixiv search yields this Gamilas Fleet image:

(source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29235438)
Old 2012-08-10, 09:59   Link #918
ookamigirl

Episode 4

Escaping from the solar system. That won't be easy.
The distress call from Saturn came at the worst possible time.
It just got them into more trouble for nothing.
It ended up to be an unintentional trap.
Kodai just found himself more emotional pain.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 12:22   Link #919
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

To be fair, they ended up having to go to Saturn anyway to get the material they needed to make repairs. So they would have ended up in the situation they did one way or the other.

One could argue that getting their hands on the remains of the Gamiloid remains was worth Kodai's emotional angst.
Old 2012-08-10, 13:15   Link #920
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

On a late side note, does anybody else get the sinking feeling that black-haired guy and twintail girl are doomed for death and emotional drama when things get gritty late in the series? I have nothing to base this on in the way of material, but I just have this gut feeling that one or both of them is going to die when things start getting ugly later. I've been wrong about this stuff before......and also right about it. I just feel like they're the kind of characters who are doomed to die/suffer like Obright and his girl Remi in Gundam Age.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato