2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-27, 05:26   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi Episode 13 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to utilize the info on the TIPS section as a complement to this series.
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.
Old 2006-06-27, 12:48   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Ugh, judging from 2chan, the staff screwed up BIG TIME in showing the shock value for this, especially cutting out the interview scene in the epilogue. I'm afraid to watch this myself... anyhow, I guess we shall see how Himatsubushi goes.

Judging by 2chan (and my own reflection on reading the manga), the manga version seems to be 10 times better than the anime in capturing the tenseness from the original game. Studio DEEN, how could you screw this one up!?

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-06-27 at 17:13.
Old 2006-06-27, 17:03   Link #3
Freakman

They took 5 eps, and they still had to skip the interview scene....
They could have skipped the Satoko flashback to put it in, or just skip the ending song, damn it.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-27, 18:18   Link #4
Hanatori
Yarr.

Looks like it's a horrible ending to the chapter. >_<; I'm going to have to see for myself, then. Is it possible for anyone to explain the interview or what's been said that they skipped?
Old 2006-06-27, 21:00   Link #5
Nork22

Yes, whats so important about the interview? Any kind players will like to spoil it for us once episode 14 airs?
Old 2006-06-27, 22:46   Link #6
JarOfMayo

If its that important (the interview)... I suggest adding it as a "anime" TIPS for this episode (chapter). Be easier for people to reference it.
Old 2006-06-28, 02:13   Link #7
USCPharmacist

This episode is made of Musashi Gundo animation team and What the holy ghey fuck. The moral of the story? do not break the hand of a budha or you'll be fucked for life.
Old 2006-06-28, 02:51   Link #8
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I'm not surprised, a little disappointed, but not surprised.

Like I mentioned in the ep12 thread, it's doubtful they would cover the disaster scene to begin with, so I wasn't exactly holding my breath for the epilogue interview either.

First of all, I would just like to say that they did do a good job with the bathroom scene (uwa, eroi ^^; ), as well as Keiichi's subsequent explosion of anger. Even the scene in front of the clinic was done nicely, since the emotions shown by Keiichi and Satoko were pretty much spot on. However, things sort of went downhills after that.

Spoiler:

The anime also didn't get to portray the #1 most important thing about the Rika scene. I know it's probably a little too strong to show on TV, but I still would've liked to see some portrayals of it:
Spoiler:

(Although this is unrelated to the anime, I think all the game players will agree with me when I say that the "creaking door" sfx playing on repeat during this scene in the game was the scariest thing ever. Especially if you're reading it at 2am in the dark)

Another "odd" spot is those bandages on Keiichi's axe (although in the game, it was a hachet/cleaver like Rena's). In the game, it was mentioned that Keiichi used newspapers to wrap up the weapon so that it would be concealed from peoples' eyes. But the "bandages" here doesn't appear to have any concealment effects whatsoever: anyone can tell it's an axe, with or without them. ^^;

But personally, all of the above can be overlooked, even that solemn victims list and the final interview were all acceptable losses for me. However, what really hurted (for me) was the fact that they skipped out on the most important lines during the bridge scene:
Spoiler:

Overall though, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They managed to get some sad, emotional scenes in the anime for the end, but it felt like too little, too late.

But if I were to pretend that I never played the game, then I probably would've really liked this episode. So maybe the anime-watchers will like this one.

========
Himatsubushi-hen is next. I wouldn't mind if they're going to finish it in 2 episodes. I think 2 episodes is plenty for this chapter anyway. There's really nothing important about it except a few revealing scenes (about Rika).
Old 2006-06-28, 06:44   Link #9
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Himatsubushi-hen is next. I wouldn't mind if they're going to finish it in 2 episodes. I think 2 episodes is plenty for this chapter anyway. There's really nothing important about it except a few revealing scenes (about Rika).
Well at least they really seem to do just that. It's only 'Hinamizawa' and 'Kizashi' and then it's over.
I haven't played the games up till now, mostly because my Japanese isn't sufficient, but with the additional information through TIP's and manga etc. I get the feeling they are rushing some things the wrong way.

This episode there were some crucial elements missing I think.
Ok but sadly they can all be explained one way or the other, but I can't imagine anymore that the anime will end after Tsumihoroboshi, because that would mean that Meakashi and Tsumihoroboshi get 11 episodes in total.

Ok but back to episode 13.
What really annoyed me, was that Tatarigoroshi started to appear more and more disjointed to me, I think it was mostly due to the missing interior monologues of K1. They could have made the suspense much more strong that way, especially in this episode...but well most of the monologue scenes weren't in here to begin with (epilogue).
I really don't know if they left out the epilogue on purpose or if there was just not enough space >_>
Old 2006-06-28, 06:55   Link #10
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe
I really don't know if they left out the epilogue on purpose or if there was just not enough space >_>
Hope for a DVD extra?
Old 2006-06-28, 07:02   Link #11
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Hope for a DVD extra?
Ok that would be great, but when was the last series which got whole extrascenes, I think they would even need a whole new episode for this one.
And I don't think the animation-studio is major enough to be able to pull off something like great extras >_>

We could only hope that Square-Enix earns enough money on Higurashi, so that they finance DVD's with bonus's XD
Old 2006-06-28, 12:46   Link #12
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Holy Hell!!! Holy Hell!!!!!!!!!
Dang Ep 13!! Just Wow...
Old 2006-06-28, 13:33   Link #13
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
(Although this is unrelated to the anime, I think all the game players will agree with me when I say that the "creaking door" sfx playing on repeat during this scene in the game was the scariest thing ever. Especially if you're reading it at 2am in the dark)
Why is it always 2 AM when I finish a chapter? LOL
No, seriously, only Onigakushi & Himatsubushi didn't end at 2AM b/c they were shorter. Yea... the "chase" was depressing, freaky, and had me on the edge especially when they got to the bridge and especially b/c of the character build up and trend of the other games, I didn't know if I should trust this. And BLAM. *shakes head* 圭ちゃん、いつも報われないね。

As for the interview: NO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kinda guess, since Takano's death wasn't specified, but I still had my hopes.
Personally, I found it to be one of the creepist moments in the game b/c this whole chapter threw off everything I thought I understood what was happening.

But even w/o the interview the pt of this chapter is put across, judging from the reactions of the last episode. The interview would have been icing, but animation-wise I do understand why they didn't do it. Personally, if I was going to do it, I would have cut the ending song and play the tape with the credits rolling the game style (black screen only). That would have been creepy.

I sure hope they keep the monologue for Meakashi. Cut the beginning, first part in 2 EPs, second part 2 EPs, and that final confrontation 1 EP. If anything, they need to do that taunting monologue just for that last confrontation. バーカー ゲームに気付けよ
Old 2006-06-28, 14:04   Link #14
Redbeard

Well, I never saw that ending coming in a million years. My theory had been almost equally messed up, but still nothing close at all to this. All in all a great episode. I can only imagine though, if even half of things Sushi-Y mentioned were in it just how much stronger it would have been; especially those last lines of the bridge scene. I dunno how I would have reacted if I heard that specifically. Probably would have missed it anyways as my Japanese was only good enough to understand all but a couple of the most important scenes completely. After seeing that though, I really regret not getting to have an answer arc for this chapter in the anime now.
Old 2006-06-29, 09:13   Link #15
Morgri

After watching this episode i'm fully conviced that:

Spoiler:

Aww, to many thoeries that are probably crappy at best, but that I think are possible =p. Hundreds of theories, yet I still feel I haven't solved anything, this show is taking me for some wild ride.
Old 2006-06-29, 17:39   Link #16
nubby

so how did keiichi fall off the bridge again? lol
Old 2006-06-30, 02:04   Link #17
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

It was a good ep. I didn't play the game, so I don't really know what I'm missing. But what's so important about this interview that they omitted? Can someone post it or pm me. Thanks.
Old 2006-06-30, 09:30   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

The epilogues and the interview that the anime cut out are all written in the TIPS section...except they are currently hidden out until the "fansubs" are released (apparently, someone saw them and complained that it was too spoilerish). So, I guess the answer to your questions about these interviews to be translated would be: it'll be on the TIPS section as soon as the "fansub" is released.
Old 2006-06-30, 18:12   Link #19
chrno_the_sinner

Wow. For what it skipped out, this was a great episode.

Spoiler:

9 out of 10

EDIT: By the way, the fansubs are out now. Please post the extra "Tips".
Old 2006-06-30, 20:03   Link #20
Deku Kirby

Spoiler:
Closed Thread