3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-03-05, 14:06   Link #261
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Please, no spoilers on just what rationale Londo Bell (which had, I imagine better Capital Ships in the Ra class) had in pulling the Nahel Argahma out of mothballs... Aside the capability to launch transformable MS. I'd like to be a little surprised in the future.

Which reminds me... I suppose Gundam Xi already happened at this point of the timeline?
Old 2010-03-05, 14:32   Link #262
Kikuchi

Not at all. You're talking about Hathaway's flash, right ? It is set in UC 0105 and thus happens 9 years after Unicorn.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 14:33   Link #263
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Which reminds me... I suppose Gundam Xi already happened at this point of the timeline?
No. CCA is 0093, Unicorn is 0096, Hathaway's Flash is 0093 + 12 = 0105.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 17:59   Link #264
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
No. CCA is 0093, Unicorn is 0096, Hathaway's Flash is 0093 + 12 = 0105.
So doesn't Unicorn make Xi-Gundam's design less plausible? I'm sure anaheim would've kept the Unicorn tech in case something like Xi shows up.
Old 2010-03-05, 18:46   Link #265
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Stargazer had so much potential in that department.. it was so upsetting for me that was just 15minute shorts... It could give CE more justice.. but from what ive heard the astray manga gave more justice in grunt abilities.
The trouble is that I find most SEED Astray characters quite unremarkable... Lowe and Gai, Kira clone and Le Creuset clone... bleh. I follow the Astray just for mecha designs as there is no story for me that is worth digging there for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Soz mate.. i hope i didnt spoil anything then for you. But im certain youll enjoy the combat choreography.
The first seven minutes presented already gave me some idea what the movie looks like and it is astonishing. I really wish they made the whole reboot Zeta movies looked like that, not just chosen scenes ^^
Old 2010-03-06, 11:53   Link #266
Scorch

I'm impressed by the first episode and definitely looking forward to more. I like the old school character designs and immediately recognized "Audrey", having seen all of the other UC material. I loved the fight between the Kshatriya and the Stark Jegan - for being clearly outclassed, the Jegan really put up an impressive fight.

The Kshatriya really resembles a Quin Mantha for a MS developed 7 years later. The Geara Zulu resemblance to a Geara Doga is less surprising - I wonder if they're basically just reworked leftovers from CCA (like how the Dozle fleet modified their MS from the OYW).

Now if they would just animate Hathaway's Flash
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 12:15   Link #267
hai_san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Now if they would just animate Hathaway's Flash
i dunno if i could take all the drama in this, since the ending is more than sad.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 13:39   Link #268
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Hmmm i wish this was an full blown series instead of an OVA. The quality of sound in it is wonderful (especially through a good headphone XD) especially when the fighting is going.

Being an UC idiot (only seen a few episodes) most of the historical reference is lost to me but didn't stop me from enjoying the show.

Like other have said, really love how the grunts aren't just kill count fodder.
Looking forward to seeing more of Marida and her Zaku which i like better than the Gundams, design wise.
Old 2010-03-06, 14:24   Link #269
Scorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Like other have said, really love how the grunts aren't just kill count fodder.
Looking forward to seeing more of Marida and her Zaku which i like better than the Gundams, design wise.
Actually, that's a MS called Kshatriya. A Zaku I is this and a Zaku II is this. The Zaku II was the mainstay Zeon MS during the One Year War in 0079. Geara Zulus (what that grunt was piloting ~34 minutes into the episode) are obviously related to Geara Dogas (mainstay Neo-Zeon 2nd movement MS in Char's Counterattack), which are ultimately based on Zaku IIs.

The Kshatriya that Marida is using is much more similar to the Quin Mantha , a 1st Neo Zeon movement MS. It uses funnels which are psychically controlled and usable only to a Newtype. Newtypes are fairly rare, so they tend to get custom/prototype MS with Newtype weapons. A non-Newtype would be unable to control the funnels of the Kshatriya.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 15:30   Link #270
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
So doesn't Unicorn make Xi-Gundam's design less plausible? I'm sure anaheim would've kept the Unicorn tech in case something like Xi shows up.
Xi and Penelope were mostly (if not exclusively) used on Earth during the rebellion. Their biggest advantage was full flight capability at a very high speed, something Unicorn cannot do on earth. The NTD kicks ass but ain't going to do much good when your target is flying with the clouds :P
Old 2010-03-06, 15:31   Link #271
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
Yeah, but do we really take Hathaway's Flash events as canon?
I don't think any Tomino's novel is, actually?
Old 2010-03-06, 16:03   Link #272
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Yeah, but do we really take Hathaway's Flash events as canon?
I don't think any Tomino's novel is, actually?
Bandai has already acknowledged the novels as canon by featuring the characters and mechs in quite a number of games.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 17:52   Link #273
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Have procured this and got a Q before watching .

Is this really episodic ? or can this be watched as a stand alone . I hate discontinuity and waiting, tend to watch episodic stuff clubbed together . I have my hands full at the moment so needed to know ...
Old 2010-03-06, 20:47   Link #274
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Bandai has already acknowledged the novels as canon by featuring the characters and mechs in quite a number of games.
Bandai isn't in charge of officiating things. Sunrise states that only animated works (series/movies) are considered official. Therefore novels and games are not official by those standards.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 21:34   Link #275
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Bandai isn't in charge of officiating things. Sunrise states that only animated works (series/movies) are considered official. Therefore novels and games are not official by those standards.
By that argument, Blue Destiny, Gundam Sentinel and Crossbone amongst various others are not canon since they never see any form of animation.

Moreover, Bandai is considered as Sunrise's boss and whose words would you rather believe ?
Old 2010-03-07, 08:07   Link #276
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
No, you've got it all backwards. Sunrise is considered the boss of Bandai. And yes, by that definition nothing that isn't animated is "unofficial".

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysdream
In the first installment, Sunrise's Shigeru Horiguchi lays down a simple guideline: "If it's filmed, it's official." It seems that Sunrise classifies the existing Gundam material into three categories: white (official), black (false), and gray (everything in between). Even material produced under Sunrise supervision isn't considered official until it's appeared in filmed form.
See the discussion here.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:03   Link #277
Kikuchi

It's interesting to see that by this definition, things like Ecole du Ciel or Crossbone Gundam aren't official and could just be retconnned any time. We know it won't happen, but still, it's something that never even crossed my mind.

But I totally understand why they're doing things.
Old 2010-03-07, 09:15   Link #278
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
No, you've got it all backwards. Sunrise is considered the boss of Bandai. And yes, by that definition nothing that isn't animated is "unofficial".
Since they say likewise, there's no use arguing here.

However, I like to point out that Bandai owns over 90% of shares in Sunrise. And I believe that's the main reason Sunrise is letting Bandai having their way with the continuity.
Old 2010-03-07, 10:25   Link #279
X_Danny_X

eh? there is another season of Gundam out? called Unicorn?
Old 2010-03-07, 19:45   Link #280
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Danny_X View Post
eh? there is another season of Gundam out? called Unicorn?
No, its just an OVA 6 episodes in total.. running approx 3 years... someone else can correct me if my info is wrong.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote