Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-27, 21:27   Link #1
theanimedude

Send a message via AIM to theanimedude Send a message via Yahoo to theanimedude
so.. What's "IN" right now?

Hey all!

So, i've been out of the loop for quite some time now.

Otakon is coming up and I really want to try to catch up as much as possible!

So what's "in" right now? What's popular and a real "must see."

Last thing i really enjoyed was Gurren Langan.... I tried to manually search for what was popular but ended up with some lame crap... Example would be Aquarion EVOL... I dont know if that creator was trying to be serious or not but i couldnt stop laughing at it.

So.... anything good out there that i'm missing out? I already saw redline so that's off the list.. but there should be more right???
Old 2012-05-27, 21:47   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Let's see:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Oreimo
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Angel Beats
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukanai
Infinite Stratos
Persona 4

There's many more but I don't want to pull a lot of food on your "plate" so that's all I'll give you. Well, what do you think?
Old 2012-05-28, 00:32   Link #3
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Really bad anime. And a good series called Gintama.
Old 2012-05-28, 09:27   Link #4
Eragon
Still Alive

These are pretty good
Sakamichi no Apollon(on-going)
Steins;Gate
Old 2012-05-28, 09:38   Link #5
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

If you want to watch what's "in", you should start with current animes. Anyways.....

Seconding Gintama. You really should give that one a try.

Also, Durarara!!, Mawaru Penguindrum, Rinne no Lagrange (second part airing this summer), Tsuritama (still airing), Jormungand (airing), and Chihayafuru.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-05-28, 12:55   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica

That's the biggest recent anime.

This thread might be useful: AnimeSuki Choice Awards

Be warned there are some spoilers for Madoka in the awards, so I suggest watching Madoka first.

Other big recent anime:

Steins;Gate

Tiger & Bunny

Mirai Nikki

Bunny Drop

Ano Hana

Penguindrum
(Rock Over Japan! Rock over.)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Cross Game

Fate/Zero
(Prequel to Fate Stay Night)

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya(Movie)

Oh Shakugan no Shana season III came out as did Familiar of Zero season IV. Both ending those series.

A Certain Magical Index and the spin off A Certain Scientific Railgun were also pretty big.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-06-04, 19:20   Link #7
theanimedude

Wow, Tiger and Bunny is actually pretty good! not overly perverted, and doesnt drain your IQ. I like it! Finished 8 eps in a sitting already

Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 2012-06-05, 19:36   Link #8
word sux

I third Steins Gate

very unique very good anime
Old 2012-06-05, 20:20   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimedude View Post
Wow, Tiger and Bunny is actually pretty good! not overly perverted, and doesnt drain your IQ. I like it! Finished 8 eps in a sitting already

Thank you for the suggestions!
Glad you liked it. It's really a homage to the classic superheros of the Silver Age I think. Plus it's a buddy cop show with superheroes.

Any reaction to Madoka?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-06-16, 16:33   Link #10
theanimedude

Madoka??? hm didnt appeal to me that much but i guess i'll give it a try. I shouldnt judge a book by it's cover.

Finally finished Tiger and Bunny. Thoroughly enjoyed that and loved how they didnt overly do it on the sex appeal cuz to me, thats just trying too hard to catch the audience.

I think next is Steins;Gate, hasnt it been out for awhile??
Old 2012-06-16, 16:54   Link #11
james0246

What's "IN" right now...

What's in? Mint Green is really popular this summer. High Waisted Flare Pants were a thing this spring. Slicked back hair became popular again (sadly). Crochet Vests also have become popular. Creamy neutrals are also nice. Black and White is eternal, but stripes have made a resurgence. Sadly, Angelina Jolie's leg broke the fashion world and high slit dresses have become popular. There's some others, but this will give you a good start...
Old 2012-06-16, 17:12   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Madoka??? hm didnt appeal to me that much but i guess i'll give it a try. I shouldnt judge a book by it's cover.

Finally finished Tiger and Bunny. Thoroughly enjoyed that and loved how they didnt overly do it on the sex appeal cuz to me, thats just trying too hard to catch the audience.

I think next is Steins;Gate, hasnt it been out for awhile??
Yes... the official trailers for Madoka are rather... deceptive.

Lets just say that I don't watch magical girl anime. The genre just doesn't interest me, but Madoka is still a must see to me. (Has some of the best music ever too). There is a reason Madoka is the biggest hit in anime since... oh at least since The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Might even be the biggest since Evangelion, but it will take a while to see if has that level of endurance. Notice that it is an anime original, and was so successful that there are already three manga spinoffs, and three movies planned.

You wanted to know what is "in" and nothing is more "in" then Madoka, despite it not being a "moe" anime, so that's even more impressive. And I have to say it deserves every bit of it. I limit myself to buying one anime on disk each year, and Madoka was my pick, easy.

Steins;Gate came out the same time as Tiger and Bunny I believe.

Old 2012-06-16, 17:23   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
What's in? Mint Green is really popular this summer. High Waisted Flare Pants were a thing this spring. Slicked back hair became popular again (sadly). Crochet Vests also have become popular. Creamy neutrals are also nice. Black and White is eternal, but stripes have made a resurgence. Sadly, Angelina Jolie's leg broke the fashion world and high slit dresses have become popular. There's some others, but this will give you a good start...
So where's the gallery of photographs where you model these various items, James?
Old 2012-06-17, 03:25   Link #14
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
The cover of Madoka is one big fat lie.

You're asking what's in right now and Madoka is definatly what's in right now,it sold the most Blu rays last year and won nearly all the awards you can think of.
If there's one anime from 2011 that's still gonna be talked about in 15 years it's that one.

Also be sure to watch the bluray version.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:24   Link #15
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post

Also be sure to watch the bluray version.
Truthfully, I preferred the original broadcast.

Old 2012-06-17, 08:55   Link #16
Kirarakim

I definitely think Madoka is a must watch. It's not my favorite series by any means but it's a highly entertaining & satisfying one that as the OP asked for is very much the "In Thing".

However I don't agree it's not "Moe" although I suppose that term means different things to other people so maybe it's the wrong one to use. I still feel Madoka is very much aimed at Otaku. The characters still feel like archetypes you would find in late night anime, at least to me.

Granted this isn't necessarily a bad thing since Madoka shows that it doesn't just use a check list of things that will appeal to Otaku but manages to transcend that and tell a decent story. So even though Madoka isn't necessarily my favorite anime I would rather see it's success copied (and I don't mean the same plot line which is what I fear will happen, but instead more anime that might have Otaku appeal but still obviously care about telling a riveting storyline).

Okay I think I got off on a tangent here.
Old 2012-06-22, 22:24   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting... post-TTGL, eh? (2007). I'm fascinated no one mentioned K-On! (2009-+).

A series about a high school pop rock band club and their daily lives. It has had two seasons and a movie, crossed over into mainstream popularity, had *two* sold out live concerts, and... yeah. The OP didn't specify any particular restrictions... just what is "in" (?).

If you want something "ecchi-ish" that is actually funny, you might take a look at Seitokai Yakuindomo. Plot: young man enters a high school that was a girl's school until this year.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-06-22 at 22:41.
Old 2012-06-22, 22:29   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Sankarea
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Hyouka

They're are the most talk animes here.. right now..
Old 2012-06-23, 00:21   Link #19
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What the heck is Tiger and Bunny about and what makes it so good? I've heard people say it is good, but I don't know anything about it.
Old 2012-06-23, 03:15   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What the heck is Tiger and Bunny about and what makes it so good? I've heard people say it is good, but I don't know anything about it.
If you like that kind of story line - I hear its pretty good. Its sort of a subversive superheroes story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_%26_Bunny